Any Subaru owners get the STARLINK Security Plus plan???

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
BeachPerson

Any Subaru owners get the STARLINK Security Plus plan???

Post by BeachPerson »

The Stolen Vehicle Recovery Plus with Stolen Vehicle Immobilizer could be worth it.

David
From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"
livesoft

Re: Any Subaru owners get the STARLINK Security Plus plan???

Post by livesoft »

Never heard of it. Are they able to supply data for the number of Subarus stolen over the past 3 years and how many were recovered? And how many of those recovered were because of the plan?

I leave my Subaru parked at remote trailheads and of course around town/home and have never had it stolen. I have many friends who have Subarus and they have never reported they had their car stolen. Anyways, might be worth $1 a year I suppose.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus »

I keep an AirTag in each of my cars (including Subaru).
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Nope. I won't pay for Starlink. Also, if you've ever heard of the battery drain issue that the starlink module causes, look up the "DCM fuse". I've pulled it in our 2 Legacys and Crosstrek. The STi has something else connected....forget what it is.

If someone steals any of my cars, I'll call my insurance agent, wait for a check and buy another one.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
lzq

Post by lzq »

The car came with one year coverage of it, and while it was fun remote starting the vehicle from time to time, did not really use it much. The location feature worked, and it was able to reasonably pinpoint the car on a map, similar to GPS tracking. (https://www.pcmag.com/news/researchers- ... ive-to-gps)

If it is for the peace of mind, then one can get the subscription to locate and immobilize the car by calling Subaru as needed.

My two cents:

I'm not a fan of Starlink however, for it creates its own problems without offering a remedy. (https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... port-says/) And we've already seen Starlink weaponized, which is in the hands of a private entity beyond a public oversight where as a government would be.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

Does it track your driving habits and report them to all of the insurance companies?
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
OrangeKiwi

Post by OrangeKiwi »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 4:45 pm Nope. I won't pay for Starlink. Also, if you've ever heard of the battery drain issue that the starlink module causes, look up the "DCM fuse". I've pulled it in our 2 Legacys and Crosstrek. The STi has something else connected....forget what it is.

If someone steals any of my cars, I'll call my insurance agent, wait for a check and buy another one.
I’m still salty Subaru did not compensate all Subaru buyers for the Starlink battery drain issue. I spent probably over a hundred hours trying to convince a dealership there is something wrong with the electronics, and all I would get back is “there is nothing wrong with your car” or “the battery needs to be replaced”, when I had already replaced the battery multiple times.

Then, I spend money to replace the head unit with a CarPlay compatible one and confirm my suspicions that it was Subaru’s garbage electronics causing the problem, and I get a letter in the mail telling me I can get reimbursed…IF I can prove my expenses were caused by their faulty electronic system. How is anyone supposed to prove it once they fix the issue by replacing it?
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

OrangeKiwi wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:22 am
Jack FFR1846 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 4:45 pm Nope. I won't pay for Starlink. Also, if you've ever heard of the battery drain issue that the starlink module causes, look up the "DCM fuse". I've pulled it in our 2 Legacys and Crosstrek. The STi has something else connected....forget what it is.

I’m still salty Subaru did not compensate all Subaru buyers for the Starlink battery drain issue. I spent probably over a hundred hours trying to convince a dealership there is something wrong with the electronics, and all I would get back is “there is nothing wrong with your car” or “the battery needs to be replaced”, when I had already replaced the battery multiple times.

Then, I spend money to replace the head unit with a CarPlay compatible one and confirm my suspicions that it was Subaru’s garbage electronics causing the problem, and I get a letter in the mail telling me I can get reimbursed…IF I can prove my expenses were caused by their faulty electronic system. How is anyone supposed to prove it once they fix the issue by replacing it?
I think simply kicking up a ruckus and perhaps tweeting Subaru with receipts for the batteries and then for the replaced head unit might get you something.

I've never done that until recently where an insurance company asked me to fill out a public survey. I roasted them. They all of a sudden were very responsive and fast and within minutes of the adjuster being here, I got an email that a check for $xxxx amount was in the mail.

It's not just Subaru. Honda with their earth dreams engine washing gas in to the oil, Hyundai for refusing to replace failed engines and having oil consumption they call fine at 3 times Subaru's failed amount, Toyota's Tundra/4 runner frames rotting through, Tesla's random hard braking for no reason, Ford's automatic dual clutch that had multiple design flaws that had no customer solutions...... They're all to blame. Don't even get me started on BMW making everything from plastic that fails consistently in 10 years like water pump impellers to simple vacuum hose connectors. Oh, and to think of my own vehicles, the Jeep oil/coolant/filter unit that's all plastic and fails putting oil all over the engine and you have to pull the intake manifold off to replace it.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
beardsicles

Post by beardsicles »

finite_difference wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:57 am Does it track your driving habits and report them to all of the insurance companies?
It sure does.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/11/tech ... =url-share
wilked

Post by wilked »

beardsicles wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:29 am
finite_difference wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:57 am Does it track your driving habits and report them to all of the insurance companies?
It sure does.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/11/tech ... =url-share
From the article
Subaru shares odometer data with LexisNexis for Subaru customers who turn on Starlink and authorize that data be shared “when shopping for auto insurance,” said a spokesman, Dominick Infante.
n00b

Post by n00b »

lzq wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 5:13 pm I'm not a fan of Starlink however, for it creates its own problems without offering a remedy. (https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... port-says/) And we've already seen Starlink weaponized, which is in the hands of a private entity beyond a public oversight where as a government would be.
I have a different viewpoint. We have had several federal-grant-funded "rural broadband" projects in our area but Starlink is the only true broadband connection that has reached us.
DonIce

Post by DonIce »

lzq wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 5:13 pm The car came with one year coverage of it, and while it was fun remote starting the vehicle from time to time, did not really use it much. The location feature worked, and it was able to reasonably pinpoint the car on a map, similar to GPS tracking. (https://www.pcmag.com/news/researchers- ... ive-to-gps)

If it is for the peace of mind, then one can get the subscription to locate and immobilize the car by calling Subaru as needed.

My two cents:

I'm not a fan of Starlink however, for it creates its own problems without offering a remedy. (https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... port-says/) And we've already seen Starlink weaponized, which is in the hands of a private entity beyond a public oversight where as a government would be.
Subaru Starlink and SpaceX Starlink are two entirely different things, not associated with each other in any way. They just happen to use the same name.
lzq

Post by lzq »

DonIce wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:21 am Subaru Starlink and SpaceX Starlink are two entirely different things, not associated with each other in any way. They just happen to use the same name.
Thanks, I stand corrected.