At what age do your kids get jobs?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
YeahBuddy

At what age do your kids get jobs?

Post by YeahBuddy »

I'm interested to know at what age do Bogleheads make their kids get jobs. I've noticed some friends have their kids working at 14 / 15. I myself started delivering news papers around age 12, and by 16 I started working at the local supermarket. It taught me responsibility, time management, and personal finance.

My son is 14, daughter is 12. The only job my son has is taking out the trash for our elderly neighbor across the street once a week and occasionally doing a light yard work cleanup. While I think a job would eventually be a good idea, I feel their education and sports come first, and then allowing them to enjoy just being kids is more important than getting jobs right now.

What's everyone's thoughts on this?
Light weight baby!
finite_difference

Re: At what age do your kids get jobs?

Post by finite_difference »

I would be a bit selective.

Rather than running a paper route, working at a grocery store, or flipping burgers, I would try to find something a bit more involved with the community or that uses existing skills in a teacher/mentor role.

Soccer referee, assistant coach, lifeguard, martial arts co-instructor, ski instructor, tutor, etc.

Instead of a job consider also volunteering at a soup kitchen, the library, or clean-up crews.

Ask around at your local community college/research lab if they need any help. Maybe you can volunteer for free to help out with tedious research tasks or programming.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

YeahBuddy wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:17 pm I'm interested to know at what age do Bogleheads make their kids get jobs. I've noticed some friends have their kids working at 14 / 15. I myself started delivering news papers around age 12, and by 16 I started working at the local supermarket. It taught me responsibility, time management, and personal finance.

My son is 14, daughter is 12. The only job my son has is taking out the trash for our elderly neighbor across the street once a week and occasionally doing a light yard work cleanup. While I think a job would eventually be a good idea, I feel their education and sports come first, and then allowing them to enjoy just being kids is more important than getting jobs right now.

this is largely: cultural, family and social societal dynamics, financial demographics, socioeconomic status/level, et al.
Examples
If a family owns and runs 3 Italian restaurants, everyone learns work and responsibility, humility and community and filial obligation, as soon as they can hold a sponge or broom.
There is no separation between being young and working together.

If a family lives in a plantation provided home and is paid as well. The entire family of all ages helps harvest the pineapples during that season.

If a family runs 6 traditional japanese shotokan karate school locations with a total of 450 students, likely the children have also been immersed in the culture, values, traditions, and training since they were little. It is a natural for them to assist teaching as "sempai-kohai" relationships in class as much as possible.

Perspectives, priorities, and compartmentalizations, are unique to each parent, family, and culture, around the world.
j🌺
Last edited by Sandtrap on Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
WonderWander

Post by WonderWander »

It also depends on the kids and how they plan to use the income. Our older one really wanted to get a car and was motivated to start working as soon as they got their learner’s permit. Younger one preferred volunteering nearby, wasn’t too interested in driving, and had fewer wants so didn’t get a job till almost done with high school.

Both have turned out to be very responsible and have solid work ethics but arrived at those via different paths.
LotsaGray

Post by LotsaGray »

Two kids. DD wanted a job I high school. We told her that her job was school plus she played travel ball and varsity fast pitch all four years. In college she had 3 jobs at one time but two were very related to her major and career. The other one eventually dropped her because schedule conflicts kept her unavailable. Graduated high school and college both with honors.

DS never wanted job in high school. He played two years in a sport and fours years varsity in another. He tutored some in college but first real job was when he decided to take time off from college. DW got him a job as a roofer helper to let him see what might happen if he did not finish. Long story but he wound up in Navy. Just earned EP with MAP recommendation 18 months early for E6. He will graduate in Dec also with honors.

Personally I never got an allowance nor did kids but started yard work at ten then newspaper carrier at 12 then first paycheck job at 14 1/2.

So me and kids very different. So it mostly depends on kid. Today I would agree with you that school and sports come first. Then again I don’t consider occasional neighborhood yard work as a job.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Me personally.

I never had a paid job until 16 when I was expected to and did work summers. But almost no work during school time. I was an extremely studious student always doing all my homework.

In spite of only working that much as a work I graduated to working so much that some thought I was a workaholic. Never was. Just extremely conscientious.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
privateer79

Post by privateer79 »

our 13 YO daughter will be volunteering for a few weeks at a summer camp and a foreign language elementary school she previously attended.

not paid, but I totally love it because she gets to practice her skills, and gets to try out being a "teacher" for real...(what she wants to be when she "grows up")
TierArtz

Post by TierArtz »

Two of my kids started working at a nationally well-regarded fast-food restaurant; a few months before/after their 17th birthday. The experience has been great for both of them. The eldest is now still working there (making about $25K/year while attending school), but starting their own outdoor cleaning services business with a friend (LLC; EIN; advertising; social media presence; the whole enchilada).

Growing up, I started paper route/yard mowing at 9, and added restaurant/grocery store work when I could drive myself to work (14).

Bottom line: shut their WiFi off/lock phone in safe; whatever it takes to inspire them to do anything but look at a screen.
invest4

Post by invest4 »

When they need and/ or want money.

We slowly increase our children’s financial obligations as they age, For example, they need to pay their phone bill at 18 and car insurance at 19.

Some of them found some kind of paid work earlier and others later. Types of work also varied according to their interest and / or experience.

We have found it works well for all kinds of financial learning and responsibility.
asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos »

We never made the kids get a job, and when they wanted a job varied greatly. Oldest at 16 latched onto a strange job through airtasker: signed up every week to live stream real estate auctions; rode his bike around and stood there with his phone for $22 an auction and made a couple hundred a weekend. That lasted a couple of years. Middle child never had a formal paid job in highschool. His plans for a year between highschool and college fell through, so he got a nearly full time job at a local store. Still does occasional weekend shifts there after starting college. Youngest wanted a job at 14. Has worked after school for our dentist for a couple of years now.

DW and I had contrasting experiences as kids. Her mom had a store, and she started working there after school almost as soon as she started school. My only part time job was building demonstration experiments for my highschool science teachers; very little money, but good expeience for what I wanted to do later in life.

As everyone's different, I don't believe there's one size fits all advice in this area.
Regards, | | Guy
DarthSage

Post by DarthSage »

My kids kind of "fell" into jobs when they were younger. For example, my oldest danced, starting at age 3. She volunteered to help with the younger dancers, and would be hired for dance summer camps.

Similarly, my husband volunteered as a ski patroller at a local mountain. It was unpaid, but we got free family season passes, free rentals, and free lessons. Because they got so much free, we told them they were expected to pitch in around the mountain--if the patrollers were practicing bringing down a sled, odds are that one of my kids was in it as a "patient". (Don't get me started on lift evacuations!). By the time we moved away, my oldest was a ski instructor and #2 was a lift attendant, both for pay. #3 was too young to work for money (she was 11), but she would check tickets and sweep up, and they'd pay her in chicken tenders and hot cocoa.

My youngest graduated HS yesterday (!!!)--he's been working part-time for over a year. He really, really wanted to go to the World Scout Jamboree last summer. Since we were already paying for a school trip to France, we said, "If you want to go, you'll have to pay for it." So he did!

I've found that, once a kid starts working and earning his/her own money, they like the freedom it gives them, and they want to keep working. My younger DD, now 21, works for books and Legos. With my youngest, it's all about travel--he's already plotting study abroad options. He likely can't work abroad, so he needs to have $$ saved for spending money while traveling. We haven't had to bug them about working at all.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

My daughter is hoping to get a summer job at a daycamp when she turns 16. I think that is a great age to get a summer job.

I'm also trying to steer my kids towards doing something entrepreneurial, like reselling on Ebay, Etsy, mowing lawns, etc. There's better flexibility and money than a typical high school job with those.

Fidelity offers a youth account at age 13, which I believe is a great learning tool, and gets them ready to manage money. The school district offers a personal finance class in 8th grade too.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

Son should also be mowing your yard, washing the cars. They could do pet sitting ( letting neighbor dogs out, playing in yard with them). Pet shelters always need help. Libraries offer jobs to teens. My 17 yr old grandson is about to start his 3rd year at an outdoor day camp at nature center in Boerne, Texas (He was volunteer at 15). Over 100 degrees most days, but he loves it.
rule of law guy

Post by rule of law guy »

I had jobs to do around the house and (mostly) property until I was 16, then started working summers every summer until college graduation (then law related jobs summers during law school). schoolwork was always job1 in the family growing up, though

as for our kids, they had summer jobs/internships also starting at 16, but they had less requirements around the house than I had (mostly because we live in a NYC apt and I cant tell them to rake the lawn). schoolwork also job1
Never wrong, unless my wife tells me that I am.
smwisc

Post by smwisc »

My philosophy going in was that I did not expect my kids to have jobs during the school year if academics and extracurriculars kept them busy. I did expect them to have summer jobs starting at age 14 or 15.

In practice, there's been a fair amount of variation based on kids' interests, opportunities, and external factors. Oldest started refereeing soccer at age 12 and has continued to do that - he's 18 now, and it's very lucrative during the season. The summers that he was 14/15 were peak Covid, so we did not believe the risk/benefit calculation favored him seeking a job. When he was 16, he got a job with our city rec department working at various youth sports programs and summer day camp. He originally applied for that seeking summer work, but as it turned out, he's been able to do some spring programs and the odd special event over the winter. That has worked out perfectly, since he played soccer in the fall and wouldn't have had much time to work (and when he is available on weekends, he makes more refereeing)

Middle child was in marching band the summer she was 14, so that was more than a full-time job for most of the summer. But she decided not to return, and the next summer got a job doing admissions/concessions at the city pool - she didn't get all that many hours, but it was fine, and by design summer-only. Then in the fall completely of her own volition got a job working the drop-in child care at our local YMCA. Did that for about 8 months, then quit when she got fed up with the perpetual understaffing. Got a job at a local fast food place and has been happily working there for a few months now. She's involved in a number of activities as well, but her activities aren't typically every day for long stretches, so it's been pretty reasonable for her to work 2-3 shifts per week through most of the school year.
Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 »

I agree with another poster upthread who said work is cultural. My family arose from the farm so it was stressed from Day 1 that being called a hard worker is about the best thing someone could ever be called. That's just how it is.

Daughter got a job at Chik Fil A at ~15 years old working the cash register. It was good for her to see the ugly side of humanity at an early age being yelled at by people so hopefully she won't treat poor people like that when she's older. She's contributed $1k to a ROTH IRA and will have saved ~$10k by the end of the summer three years later.

Son has been on a landscaping crew in the summers since he was 14 and this is now his third year. He should have ~$5k saved by summer end and has started contributing to a Roth.
bombcar

Post by bombcar »

Early can be better even if it’s not a terribly “real” job whatever that may mean - because you can match their income dollar for dollar into a Roth for them.
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

We never "made" our kid get a job, but there was an expectation that upon college graduation she would get one (and she did and is fully launched). Before that, she was a poll worker and she had an internship between high school graduation and starting college. Otherwise a small, variable allowance. When college started she had a scholarship, we had the TX tomorrow fund we purchased when she was young, and we ended up paying a small stipend to help out.

As for me, a friend of mine and I mowed lawns, then I did the usual food-service jobs in high school at the local mall. Then I was a head waiter at a French restaurant. When college started it was summer jobs teaching gymnastics, summer jobs working at a paper bag factory, and on-campus summer jobs. Then I, too, launched.

Cheers.
Last edited by dcabler on Sat Jun 08, 2024 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tundrama

Post by Tundrama »

YeahBuddy wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:17 pm I'm interested to know at what age do Bogleheads make their kids get jobs. I've noticed some friends have their kids working at 14 / 15. I myself started delivering news papers around age 12, and by 16 I started working at the local supermarket. It taught me responsibility, time management, and personal finance.

I’ve posted this response before but I’ll shorten it.

On my son’s 14th birthday, he began working for a grocery chain pulling carts. Perfect starting age to learn hard work.

Prior to that, son really wanted to work. So, I paid him $5 per hour at a local horse stable where I made an arrangement with the owner. Owner was great. Son learned hard work chipping frozen pee and poop in the winter from stables and also learned a ton about horses. The owner gave him free riding time, etc.

Anyway, after school and on weekends, he averaged ten hours a week. Best money I ever spent. He’s now 28, in property management and running a, yet to open, brand new high end apartment complex valued at several hundred million.

…and no college…just horse poop.
JOEVANDAL

Post by JOEVANDAL »

When our son was about 12, he mowed and helped with yard work, shoveling snow etc. Once he reached 16, we told him he had to get a summer job. His first job was with our local minor league baseball team. He started as a greeter/ticket taker and the next year he was promoted to section leader. This experience was great for him. He was able to experience working with the public and all different types of people. The team gave these kids many tools to solve problems and had supervisors around if they needed help. Who would ever imagine that people would try to bring a sword, machete, or gun (person had a concealed carry permit) into a game.

He was never required to work during the school year as long as he was involved with HS activities. I realize there isn't a perfect way to raise kids, but I do know that the kids we know that had summer jobs are all thriving as adults. The ones who didn't, it is currently a mixed bag of success.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

I had some occasional babysitting jobs early as a pre-teen. After that jr high through college) I went a long time without working except for one summer job my first year of college. My grades and test scores were very good (unlike those of some of my friends who had jobs) and propelled me into competitive environments and an academically oriented profession. But I had a big adjustment in my 20s getting used to the workplace and its expectations, and customers/clients and theirs. So there are pluses and minuses of not working.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Sat Jun 08, 2024 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bltn

Post by bltn »

At age 16 summer jobs to get used to a work place, and to contribute to their college fund. Absolutely no work during the school year. That after school time needs to be used for study, and socialization, and perhaps sports.
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

Keep the allowance thin. The kids will then know intuitively when they need to get a job if they've been raised with an ethic that shows work leads to rewards.
ivgrivchuck

Post by ivgrivchuck »

When they graduate from college. That's when we are going to stop providing for them.

Before that they are better off by doing whatever is beneficial for learning the necessary skills to be successful in life. That may include a job, but there are alternatives like clubs, volunteering, summer camps.
25% VTI | 25% VXUS | 12.5% AVUV | 10% AVDV | 2.5% VWO | 25% BND/SCHP
Marq1

Post by Marq1 »

Around the house started slowly at 5 years old, real jobs started early teens but limited to driving. All kids working part time by driving age, had to pay for insurance!
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

invest4 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 3:23 am When they need and/ or want money.

We slowly increase our children’s financial obligations as they age, For example, they need to pay their phone bill at 18 and car insurance at 19.

Some of them found some kind of paid work earlier and others later. Types of work also varied according to their interest and / or experience.

We have found it works well for all kinds of financial learning and responsibility.
This. Put responsibility on them & let them figure it out.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

Jobs outside the family at 16.
Volunteering at 16.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

TierArtz wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 1:45 am Two of my kids started working at a nationally well-regarded fast-food restaurant; a few months before/after their 17th birthday. The experience has been great for both of them. The eldest is now still working there (making about $25K/year while attending school), but starting their own outdoor cleaning services business with a friend (LLC; EIN; advertising; social media presence; the whole enchilada).

Growing up, I started paper route/yard mowing at 9, and added restaurant/grocery store work when I could drive myself to work (14).

Bottom line: shut their WiFi off/lock phone in safe; whatever it takes to inspire them to do anything but look at a screen.
Where did you live to have a driver's license at only 14 years old?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

When they asked if they could and they had a reliable means of transportation figured out.

IIRC both were 16.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

My nephew is 33 now. He worked part time starting at 16. He worked at noodles. He enjoyed having spending money. He started at the order taking and ended up cooking. He is now an adventurous cook. He cooks , wife doesn’t :)

I started at Joann Fabrics in the 1970’s. I liked sewing. Learned about a bigger variety of fabrics. Working with customers was fun. It helped my people skills a bit too. Loved having some money.
randomwalk

Post by randomwalk »

My daughter just started her first job, she turned 14 in December.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

vnatale wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 5:01 pm
TierArtz wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 1:45 am Two of my kids started working at a nationally well-regarded fast-food restaurant; a few months before/after their 17th birthday. The experience has been great for both of them. The eldest is now still working there (making about $25K/year while attending school), but starting their own outdoor cleaning services business with a friend (LLC; EIN; advertising; social media presence; the whole enchilada).

Not TierArtz, but I got my DL on my 15th birthday. Prior to that, some of my friends and I had been riding our motorcycles and motorscooters on city streets (w/o DLs) for 2-3 years. None of us ever got a ticket for operating a motor vehicle without a license. That was then; this is now.
jayars35

Post by jayars35 »

When I was 12, I started spending summer and Christmas vacations roofing houses. That continued into my 20's.

My kids became salaried employees in one of our businesses when they were 10 and 12.
Coach
ajg189

Post by ajg189 »

I first worked at a car wash over my school breaks when I was 10. My first “real” job where I was on the payroll and had a schedule was at 16. I havent stopped since!
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

No kids, but I've thought about this a lot since so few of my nephews and nieces have shown much inclination. My first steady paid job at age 8 was running an old switchboard (!), which I did for three years on weekends. I'm only 54, so even for the time that job was an oddity. I have never NOT had a job since then. I think the concept of financial independence for me started by declining the 50¢/week allowance once I was pulling in $5.
Not that it turned me into a workaholic or anything... I'll be retiring in two years after a 33-year federal career where I only ever worked 6 months/year.
:sharebeer
No planet, no business. Earth bats last.
thedaybeforetoday

Post by thedaybeforetoday »

3 kids, all adults in their early 20's at this point.
Ages the 3 obtained part time jobs:
"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them." R. Dangerfield
Topic Author
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

Tundrama wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:43 am

I’ve posted this response before but I’ll shorten it.

On my son’s 14th birthday, he began working for a grocery chain pulling carts. Perfect starting age to learn hard work.

Prior to that, son really wanted to work. So, I paid him $5 per hour at a local horse stable where I made an arrangement with the owner. Owner was great. Son learned hard work chipping frozen pee and poop in the winter from stables and also learned a ton about horses. The owner gave him free riding time, etc.

Anyway, after school and on weekends, he averaged ten hours a week. Best money I ever spent. He’s now 28, in property management and running a, yet to open, brand new high end apartment complex valued at several hundred million.

…and no college…just horse poop.

Oh wow, that's a great story. Thank you so much! It sounds like your son is very successful at a young age.
Currently my son is interested in engineering. He's a "B" student. And his nickname is non challant. Not much of a go - getter yet. In contrast, my younger daughter is a straight A student, perfectionist, and has known what career she wants since she was 2.
I'm emphasizing the importance with my son of trying his best, especially in math and science. But I've also introduced him to different trades and other careers/avenues. As any parent, I just want the best for him. And hopefully he doesn't spend too much time deciding what career field is right for him like his old man that went back to school and changed careers at your son's age.
Light weight baby!
Topic Author
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

Darwin wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:13 pm

No kids, but I've thought about this a lot since so few of my nephews and nieces have shown much inclination. My first steady paid job at age 8 was running an old switchboard (!), which I did for three years on weekends. I'm only 54, so even for the time that job was an oddity. I have never NOT had a job since then. I think the concept of financial independence for me started by declining the 50¢/week allowance once I was pulling in $5.
Not that it turned me into a workaholic or anything... I'll be retiring in two years after a 33-year federal career where I only ever worked 6 months/year.
:sharebeer

That sounds like a great career! With my personal time and work schedule, I currently get something like 15 "vacations" per year. Aka stretches of 5-7 days off. Work is rarely stressful, by my choice. I'm hoping to retire by 60 or 62. But the pension increases greatly the last 5 years. Cheers :sharebeer
Light weight baby!
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Both our kids became soccer referees in addition to playing. Great job, because you are there to ensure their safety, and deal with obnoxious parents if needed. We would be at soccer every Sunday from 12:30 to maybe 5? Only once did I have to step in when a parent was using abusive language, and my son red carded him, and he started walking towards my son. I told him to step off the field. He was later banned by the league.

Our oldest became a movie usher at 14 I think. We got free movies, but he didn't know that for almost a year. We saw so many bad movies...

Then cashier at Target.

Youngest did soccer referee then nothing until college, but he had Robotics for years.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, EVs (1005 EV), etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 »

Our kids were volunteering weekly at the local hospital starting in 9th grade, 10th for one because of Covid. They became lifeguards and worked two days a week during the school year and as much as possible during the summers.

My oldest had a college interviewer mention that it was nice to talk to a student who had a normal teen job with responsibility.
tj

Post by tj »

my first job was delivering pizzas around 17 or so.
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

When I was in elementary school or JR high I had a summer job wth the school where i assisted the janitors who managed the building. I had a paper route. I walked the dogs but never babysit. I also mowed lawns and shoveled snow. In college I worked in the computer center as a help desk person. My sister worked at the supermarket when she was old enough.

These days, I don't see those types of jobs anymore. They seemed to have been taken over by actual businesses. Other people still mowed the lawn but are done by landscapers, who also do snow for places that are unincorporated. There are also professional dog walkers. Paper are also deliver these days by an adult.
bogles the mind

Post by bogles the mind »

The days are gone where a kid could make enough in a summer job to pay for a used car or tuition at a community college. Good hard work never hurt anyone my father used to say. Unfortunitely those days are gone. I'm going to play grumpy old guy here but I feel parents hover a bit much. Result: college professors get calls from parents when their kids get a C. Old timers have to cover for the younger workers. Work ethic starts young. Or should.
Catalina25

Post by Catalina25 »

My two daughters first started working in college and during summer breaks as we wanted them to focus on their studies/sports/extracurricular activities, etc., prior to entering university. Doing so allowed them to both graduate HS as co-valedictorians in their respective classes which resulted in very generous financial packages from their preferred college (GO BLUE!).

Me on the other hand, I started working with paper routes, mowing lawns for neighborhood seniors in the spring/summer, raking leaves in the fall, shoveling snow by hand door-to-door, and at around age 10, in season, worked 7 nights a week picking up and washing golf balls and driving tractors at the local driving range. My brother and I also received a weekly allowance for which we were required to do all the work around the house. I don't have any memories of my father mowing the lawn after I turned about 9-10 years old, and we had a relatively large yard. At 15 when I could get a work permit, began flipping burgers at A&W. All this allowed me to buy my first car, a primo 1965 Mustang at 15, and on my 16th birthday, I spent that morning getting my driver's license and plates. Life was good!
DarthSage

Post by DarthSage »

YeahBuddy wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:37 am
Oh wow, that's a great story. Thank you so much! It sounds like your son is very successful at a young age.
Currently my son is interested in engineering. He's a "B" student. And his nickname is non challant. Not much of a go - getter yet. In contrast, my younger daughter is a straight A student, perfectionist, and has known what career she wants since she was 2.
I'm emphasizing the importance with my son of trying his best, especially in math and science. But I've also introduced him to different trades and other careers/avenues. As any parent, I just want the best for him. And hopefully he doesn't spend too much time deciding what career field is right for him like his old man that went back to school and changed careers at your son's age.
My son said he wanted to be an engineer. He did dual enrollment at the local branch of State U, and took calculus there, his junior year of HS. Two semesters of calc, and he changed his major to international relations! But--he figured out early that engineering wasn't for him. He's MUCH happier, diving into many aspects of international studies. He loves to travel, loves languages and currency and knows all sorts of arcane facts about different countries (he gave me a lecture on rice last week, wish I could remember it, but my eyes glazed over...). This is clearly where he belongs.

P.S. He just graduated HS, is attending the same branch of State U with a nice scholarship, and is already mulling over his study abroad options. Added bonus, his dual enrollment means he already has his math and foreign language credits for graduation.
Arabesque

Post by Arabesque »

My kids worked on getting into good colleges with scholarships, which both did. They worked in college and are now working at great well paying jobs.

Different families and different kids have different needs.
toomanysidehustles

Post by toomanysidehustles »

vnatale wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 5:01 pm
TierArtz wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 1:45 am

Montana was 14. Also in many other states you could get your farm license at 14.
cbs2002

Post by cbs2002 »

There's a big difference between a teenager having to get a job and wanting to get a job. From your post OP, it sounds like you have the means to allow your kids to "enjoy just being kids" so I suppose you are only asking about jobs as a choice.

I never had an allowance. I was clothed and fed at home, but if I wanted anything beyond that - movies, junk food from the corner store, cooler clothes, gas money (for the family car - didn't own a car until I was 28), restaurant food, etc. - it was on me. Eventually that meant paying part of my own college costs as well, plus a good amount of loans.

How to guide your kids when this is unnecessary is a values question, not one of need. I want my children to be empathetic and supportive of the millions of Americans who do manual and service labor for a lifetime. I want them to be disciplined with money. However, I am not a fan of make-work either. I tend to come down on the side of posters who suggest committed volunteer and community-level work if it can connect them to people and families they otherwise may not cross paths with. I also like the idea of connecting work to other goals and helping the child understand their own "why" for their labor.

I still remember my now-spouse and now-father-in-law (of much greater means than I) asking me about what internships I was taking on as a student. No one had ever mentioned that to me before, and I was incredulous that someone would/could work for nothing. I was clocking 50 hours a week at 8 bucks on hour IIRC. The opportunity costs of having to work your way through school can be significant, but fortunately I'm in a better position to counsel my own kids through that time.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

We expected our kids to get summer jobs by the time they were 14/15. They could use some of the money for "fun" stuff but the bulk was to be saved for their college education. We told them we'd do our part in paying for their college but they needed to do their part as well. I believed it helped them get some satisfaction from having some financial skin in the game. Daughter got a job at a local clothing store, son one did a year at McDonald and then worked summers at a grocery store bagging and stocking shelves. Son two worked summers on the janitorial crew for the local school system.

I was expected to do the same when I was that age as was my dad before me, it was an absolute necessity for him as my grand folks hade 8 kids and not enough money.
vtjon

Post by vtjon »

I was recently looking my SSA statement and saw that I had SS earning since I was 14 years old (born early 1980s). I worked summers for 2 years then started a business when I was 16. That was a great route for me. As mentioned up-thread, I will also encourage my kids to do some more enterprenurial though I could see that only working with my younger one. I might be able to hire them in my business (white collar) but it seems then doing something that has a bit more manual labor would be best to start.

I have also contemplated buying a house to renovate and flip and/or rent. This would have the upside of teaching them some of the handyman type skills that I learned growing up plus opportunity to earn money. However, my interest in this route is waning. :D