To What Extent Do You Subsidize Adult Children ?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
dagsboro

To What Extent Do You Subsidize Adult Children ?

Post by dagsboro »

A recent Clark Howard financial program poll revealed that parents are currently giving an average of $1400 per month to adult children between the ages of 25 and 45. There was no data provided about the reasons for the $1400 per month. Presumably, if you can afford it and the adult child really needs it for important things like health care, food, shelter and basic transportation, you give it? What are your thoughts? Do you now help and why? Would you help and why?
StevieG72

Re: To What Extent Do You Subsidize Adult Children ?

Post by StevieG72 »

I imagine some things I will continue to help with once the kiddo reaches that age range. For example cell phone, auto insurance etc. Once the big expenditures for housing and tuition are no longer needed, the smaller things will seem trivial.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

“It is better to give with a warm hand than a cold one”.

In my view, our adult children are better served by receiving a part of their inheritance annually now rather than after our deaths. Why not help support them now when they have young children rather than leaving an inheritance to be received when they’re nearing retirement themselves.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Disclaimer: no kids. The best thing my partner's (later husband) parents and mine did was the month we graduated from university, the money stopped. Sink or swim. Oh, if it was illness, they might have stepped in, but even then, when I had my tonsils out, I paid the surgeon $10 a month for ages until the bill was zero. We did laundry in the sink (towels take forever to dry); we lived on cabbage, oatmeal, rutabagas and milk. We got thin, too thin. I'm glad they did this. We had no phone, no vehicle, no AC, no TV. We walked - a lot. Now that I am old, I am a bit amazed that I would walk for 4 miles to see my grandfather - each way. (I still cut my hair; how much has that saved over the decades?)
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Wow, I’m surprised y that number. That’s pretty big for an average.

My recent-ish college grad child lives at home while working. I suppose if they were paying rent somewhere it would get about that much.
crre

Post by crre »

when we take them on vacation once a year, the vacation rental is on us. no other subsidies since they graduated college.

just the other day when someone mentioned wishing they had rich grandparents so they would be set for life like an acquaintance, one of my daughters commented that i had taught her and her siblings to be independent, and that is why they were "set for life". wow, that was amazing to hear. i mean, i know what i taught, and seeing how they are living their lives it has always seemed that it sunk in. but it was really really nice to hear her say it.
yoga

Post by yoga »

I hope my current tween and teen are independent. If either is willing to live at home to save some money post college I'm all for it. I also hope they are relatively close, so I can cook them some food or help out with any future grandkids. So I'd really like to provide a mostly time based subsidy.
skp

Post by skp »

yoga wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:55 am I hope my current tween and teen are independent. If either is willing to live at home to save some money post college I'm all for it. I also hope they are relatively close, so I can cook them some food or help out with any future grandkids. So I'd really like to provide a mostly time based subsidy.
My AC don't live close so I can't provide the time based subsidy because of distance. I worked off shift and my ILs babysat the few hours overlap time which kept my kids out of day care. I'm paying it forward by paying for day care- $1400 a month sounds about right. They aren't getting anything I didn't get. I got the equivalent in the form of time. Plus , I have the money and also believe in giving with a warm hand.
Rocky Mtn Man

Post by Rocky Mtn Man »

That number checks out.

One reason (not the only reason) housing has become unaffordable is boomer money buying places for their kids.
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

Kiddo is 22 and in her first post-university job.
We subsidize mobile phone and highway tolls. She knows that over time as her income increases, our subsidies of both of those will decrease.

Cheers.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

We do not subsidize our adult children. They are many years into their careers, and enjoy high compensation. Once they finished college they found employment rapidly.

When the grandchildren started arriving, I told the daughters they had enjoyed their years in the sun, and that my focus going forward would be on our grandchildren.

I suppose every dollar I add to the education funds for the grandchildren is one less dollar the parents have to spend on educating their children.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

We helped each for months after graduation. Then it was rent, which then started increasing. Younger one wouldn't take a simple job while awaiting "the job", and depleted his savings. Then we issued eviction notice. He got "the job" and needed a cash advance for the move and initial deposits before getting reimbursed / paid. We did that, required year one 1 Roth IRA contribution, and a signed agreement. Repaid within 4 months.

We rolled their 529s for grandchildren. We paid for family reunion after Covid vaccine. The one without kids so far won't see 529 money of course

We have friends supporting their kids financially for many years. We think that is absolutely wrong.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, EVs (1005 EV), etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
CaptainT

Post by CaptainT »

I'm at the high end of that range my parents buy me birthday and Christmas gifts in the 50 ish range. That's it.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Toll and cellphone because not worth the trouble to change. So, $100 per month.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
Workqa

Post by Workqa »

No adult children of my own. But I am an adult child of my parents.

When I was a bit younger, it would have been insane that parents would subsidize me unless there was a reason such as graduate school, etc. Now I am a bit older, I subsidize my parents a slightly larger amount than what OP mentioned.
FinancetoMD

Post by FinancetoMD »

I plan to give my children money throughout their adult lives, rather than a larger inheritance. What I won’t do is make it regular. I want it to be a welcome bonus, but not something they expect or rely on. My guess is it will average out to more than $1400 per month per child though.
FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce »

My wife and I are on a family cell phone plan with my parents and they told us not to bother paying them for our half. They pay for when we vacation with them. When they visit, they treat if we go out for a meal. We don't need it, but they say it will be ours eventually, so they are happy to pay for some things now. They occasionally gift larger sums in good market years, more routinely to the grandkids. If they want to avoid their state estate tax, they should be more aggressive with that, but they don't want to give too much and then outlive their money and need to rely on the kids in the end (which we of course would be happy to do regardless of whether it was with money they gifted too generously earlier).
Topic Author
dagsboro

Post by dagsboro »

A wide range of insightful replies to my question for which I am grateful. Those who replied might be looking for my reason for asking. My spouse and I received some very modest assistance from parents and discounted tuitions and the U.S. Army while we were studying for which we are eternally grateful. After age 21, no help whatsoever. We had $300 in the bank and lived in an apartment costing $75 month. We provided very modest assistance to our own children while they were studying and very little afterwards. Now, one is 60 and needs help which we will provide as long as we can. Thanks for the replies.
FellsGuy

Post by FellsGuy »

If a child has a disability that’s one thing otherwise being an adult is being self sufficient and acting like an adult. If you want to hold them back keep treating them like children and pay for their wants. For me it’s family dinners and the like and if a true emergency came up.
“Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six , result happiness. | Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery”
JS-Elcano

Post by JS-Elcano »

dagsboro wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:15 am A recent Clark Howard financial program poll revealed that parents are currently giving an average of $1400 per month to adult children between the ages of 25 and 45. There was no data provided about the reasons for the $1400 per month. Presumably, if you can afford it and the adult child really needs it for important things like health care, food, shelter and basic transportation, you give it? What are your thoughts? Do you now help and why? Would you help and why?
from my circle of friends I know that is not what they are giving money for. They give money to their children so they can continue to live the same carefree life style on their own that they had at home. For example, they buy them new phones, pay all the bills for phone, buy a car or make the car payments, pay the car insurance, pay car maintenance and repairs, and they help pay rent so their kids can live in a nicer or bigger apartment in their preferred part of town. None of these have to do with basics, but the parents don't want their kids to have any struggles of any kind just like when they lived at home or when they supported them in the same way when they were in college. Now we are not talking about low income families here; these are all upper middle class. But the parents are clearly sacrificing substantially (financially) in their 50s and 60s for kids that are taking their sweet time to launch (to put it gently) years after college.
Last edited by JS-Elcano on Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
NYHawkeye

Post by NYHawkeye »

Blessed to have two adult children who are doing well. Never kicked our daughter off our cell phone plan as we are frugal and hate to see her spend more :D .

We would subsidize if it were a dire situation but rather we fund 529 plans for the grandkids, provided them both some help years back when they bought their first homes, and gave a little tuition assistance when big college bills were due.

We plan on increasing our gifting to them as we move through retirement but it will be random and nothing that we view as a "subsidy".
Tamalak

Post by Tamalak »

dagsboro wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:15 am A recent Clark Howard financial program poll revealed that parents are currently giving an average of $1400 per month to adult children between the ages of 25 and 45. There was no data provided about the reasons for the $1400 per month. Presumably, if you can afford it and the adult child really needs it for important things like health care, food, shelter and basic transportation, you give it? What are your thoughts? Do you now help and why? Would you help and why?
That's a shockingly high number. I thought my parents were being very generous to me (I'm 41), but apparently they've been holding out! :twisted:
JS-Elcano

Post by JS-Elcano »

Tamalak wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:43 am
That's a shockingly high number. I thought my parents were being very generous to me (I'm 41), but apparently they've been holding out! :twisted:
The median probably would be $0.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

Once our daughters graduated from college and got real jobs the subsidies ended. They are more than capable of paying their own way. They totally got it and there was literally no discussion about it.

Prior to that, we paid for virtually everything.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
joechristmas

Post by joechristmas »

My children are still young--not adults by any stretch--so take this with a grain of salt.

My general view towards money is that it is a resource that should be allocated where it is needed. That would include giving support to my children nothwithstanding their age. I too believe that it's better to help out when your children are younger/trying to start their own families than when you are old and leave substantial assets behind.

I also think that this will depend heavily upon the relationship that you have with your children. Some children may do things that you disagree with. I feel like if I strongly disagreed with a child's life choices I would probably be more inclined to just let them inherit upon my death, but I'd have to discuss with my wife first.

Another thought that I had was I see a lot of older people that do really stupid things with their money like hand it over to scammers. I'd rather give money to my children while still alive than hand it over to scammers or go on 10 trips per year. Just a thought.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

Some of our adult children still live at home, making good incomes on their own, rent free with some catered meals, dedicated bed/bath, does that count? They are savers/investors.
JoeNJ28

Post by JoeNJ28 »

Our goal with our kids is very simple....give them an easier life then we had so hopefully we can help and continually give them funds. Didn't bring them into this world so they could work hard and struggle like i did once i hit 18.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Spouse and I paid for our children’s college expenses in full and a car. After graduation they lived with us for awhile rent-free, we paid car taxes and insurance, healthcare and they stayed on our cell phone plan. In the first two years, we gifted Roth IRA contribution amounts. Once they left the nest and were self sufficient, they took over paying all their expenses.

As we can afford it, we plan to continue giving with a warm hand when appropriate including helping with grandchildren education expenses. Anything left over will be bequeathed to our children equally in trusts for their protection (there are no spendthrift concerns). If/when grandchildren arrive, we will likely leave a small bequest to each grandchild directly.

For a disabled/incapacitated child, we would have worked longer to provide for them in trust in an amount sufficient (hopefully) to care for them for their lifetime.
GlacierRunner

Post by GlacierRunner »

Not a parent but I fall into the age range listed. Age 25 - 45!?

My parents provided no financial subsidization between those ages...unless something drastic happens between now and age 45 they won't. They did provide health insurance between college graduation - 24.5 when I obtained employer based coverage.
Last edited by GlacierRunner on Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Stinky wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:32 am “It is better to give with a warm hand than a cold one”.

In my view, our adult children are better served by receiving a part of their inheritance annually now rather than after our deaths. Why not help support them now when they have young children rather than leaving an inheritance to be received when they’re nearing retirement themselves.
+1. I agree with this approach. I pay taxes for my son's small business and pay part of tuition for daughter's youngest daughter who is a sophomore at South Carolina. I may increase gifting some as money is most helpful right now for both families. There will still be an ample amount of inheritance when DW and I check out.
MnD

Post by MnD »

Since high school and now age 29 and 31 they are the 3rd and 4th persons on our mobile phone plan.
With the pricing schedule ($40/$30/$20/$10) that costs us $30 a month extra.

They would pay if we asked but I have never asked.

I am frustrated with coverage in more remote areas so I just switched to a plan that uses Verizon's network.
If that works out I'll port our 2nd phone over to it and tell the kids they can take over the old account or switch and close it.
That will cut our cost in half to $50 as the new service is a flat $25 per phone.
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
NYHawkeye

Post by NYHawkeye »

Stinky wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:32 am
So true. My grandfather set up a trust that provided that my mother receive only the income from the trust after his death. Then the trust is distributed to his grandkids 0, 5, and 10 years after her death.

In reality my grandfathers great great grandkids might be the ones to receive the money at a point in life that really helps them. While I know my grandfather only had the best intentions I have to believe that this money could have made a bigger impact if things were done differently.
Last edited by NYHawkeye on Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

My parents provided some level of assistance until I finished grad school and got a real job. Health insurance and mom had $100 per pay period deposited into my account. A couple times a year they'd take me out for groceries and some clothes .

Actually I guess they still do as they continue to keep me on their Sam's Club and AAA memberships for whatever reason.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

We do gift them funds now rather than waiting untill our demise.
Does that meet a criteria for "subsidizing"? I do not know.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

carolinaman wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:09 am
Stinky wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:32 am “It is better to give with a warm hand than a cold one”.

+1. I agree with this approach. I pay taxes for my son's small business and pay part of tuition for daughter's youngest daughter who is a sophomore at South Carolina. I may increase gifting some as money is most helpful right now for both families. There will still be an ample amount of inheritance when DW and I check out.
I get this point and it may make sense for many. On the other hand, it might just fund the hedonic treadmill and not really make a difference. I think the issue is whether the adult child is truly doing their best and if the money will truly enhance quality of life for their family. I've seen a lot of adult child subsidies where the gifting just enabled the wrong stuff.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

This really is situational I think. I know plenty of people whose adult children and grand kids live with them, for a variety of reasons. Divorce and assistance with child care being a major factor. I also know people who help their kids pay for an apartment in urban locations like Manhattan and I know people who buy a new car ever 2-3 years and gift the old one to their kids.
GauchoDad

Post by GauchoDad »

We’ve been matching our kids Roth IRA’s since they were teenagers. We plan on continuing this till we’re both gone as long as they don’t pull any out early. Our kids are very serious with their finances now and have saved in their late twenties more than the average forty year old.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

If you are giving your kids their "inheritance" when they are 25 years old you probably aren't even retired yourself (and maybe not even close to it). Some people would not work as hard in their career if being handed decent sums of money for free.

My parents do give the kids money as part of their "inheritance". However, this didn't start when the kids were young. This started after all the grandparents had passed away and my parents were well into retirement.

I don't have kids, but I would not make a habit out of subsidizing their lifestyle. I could see helping with a down payment if they decided to buy their first home or other one time items if I could afford it.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

GauchoDad wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:40 am We’ve been matching our kids Roth IRA’s since they were teenagers. We plan on continuing this till we’re both gone as long as they don’t pull any out early. Our kids are very serious with their finances now and have saved in their late twenties more than the average forty year old.
My thinking is that, although these are not the adult kids who "need" help, they are the ones to be rewarded. Sort of like the question about do you leave half your estate to one of your two adult children who is very successful, and "only" leave the other half to one who has made poor decisions and is generally behind the financial 8 ball. Life happens, I get it and it can often make sense to "bail out" an adult child. But sometimes it doesn't.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:43 am

If you are giving your kids their "inheritance" when they are 25 years old you probably aren't even retired yourself (and maybe not even close to it). Some people would not work as hard in their career if being handed decent sums of money for free.

My parents do give the kids money as part of their "inheritance". However, this didn't start when the kids were young. This started after all the grandparents had passed away and my parents were well into retirement.

I don't have kids, but I would not make a habit out of subsidizing their lifestyle. I could see helping with a down payment if they decided to buy their first home or other one time items if I could afford it.
For us, it began when we were about 10 years before retirement and the last kids had just launched. The amounts were quite nominal.

The annual gifts have increased over the years as our wealth has grown and grandkids made their debut.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

Stinky wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:52 am

For us, it began when we were about 10 years before retirement and the last kids had just launched. The amounts were quite nominal.

The annual gifts have increased over the years as our wealth has grown and grandkids made their debut.
Agreed, same here - you need to know your kids.
rob

Post by rob »

For us it's the stuff that while we pay more, it's a minor increase or too annoying for them to move to their own. That nbr sounds in the ballpark but the family cost would go up and they would pay more, so I'm not that bothered.

Probably the biggest is healthcare since they can stay on our plan until 26 and our extra cost for family is lower than their combined separate plans.

When they left home, I'd give them the oldest car to use and I just carried the insurance. They flipped to their own insurance once they bought their own vehicles.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l »

My parents were extremely generous throughout my childhood and continued through early adulthood. After college was debt free and even had small savings account from money I made through work. They continued to hit me up with $500 a month for a few years, tapered off to $1000 each birthday, now it is mostly free meals once a week. I don't understand that point of having more money than you need, so completely agree with the concept of giving money to family and charity if you can. Why not see it do some good while you can enjoy it?

But all of this came after early childhood lessons about the value of a dollar saved, of hard work, and self-sufficiency. Not sure it would have been smart to give money without first establishing that foundation.
70% Global Stocks / 30% Bonds
fulltilt

Post by fulltilt »

Or maybe having a cushion and someone to help them if they fall will enable them to take larger risks and thrive?
Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens. -- Jigoro Kano
muddgirl

Post by muddgirl »

I briefly skimmed the article linked and there are some weird results. For example 30% ish of kids receiving support were millennials, but most of the cohort they consider adults are millenials (roughly she 28-43). I think there is some long-tail results here that are skewing the averages, with most adults receiving support being early on their careers, and some older people receiving large amounts of support, but they're not necessarily the same people.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

fulltilt wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:12 am Or maybe having a cushion and someone to help them if they fall will enable them to take larger risks and thrive?
Ding ding ding!

Winner winner, chicken dinner!
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

Our children got a stay at home parent for 25 years instead of more money. Now we are trying to take care of ourselves financially. The kids are doing better than we were at their ages.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

fulltilt wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:12 am <snip>
Or maybe having a cushion and someone to help them if they fall will enable them to take larger risks and thrive?
Very well said.

Though in some cultures, there's "filial piety", etc, etc. ideally, neither should be a financial or life burden on the other. Both self directed and self reliant.
j :D
parent and grandparent
Last edited by Sandtrap on Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

This question comes up often. I'm not smart enough to search and link threads for you.

Why do you care about averages.

Do what makes you happy. And what you can afford. I was mostly independent when I was 18. But mom and dad helped me out occasionally. I would have survived without that help. But I appreciated it.

My kids can likely take care of themselves.

But when my mom and dad died. I gave my kids some of that money. But I was lucky. My parents had left over money. I did not that need that money. I was more than happy to be able give some of that money to my kids.

I do not want my kids to worry about taking care of me financially. That was the gift my parents gave to me. And I hope to pass it down.
Retired 2019. So far, so good. I want to wake up every morning. But I want to die in my sleep. Just another conundrum. I think the solution might be afternoon naps ;)