Decent 2024 estimated tax Calculator?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
orthros

Decent 2024 estimated tax Calculator?

Post by orthros »

I'd like to start using a calculator to determine my potential tax situation for 2024 (yes, I'm getting ahead of myself)

I know I can just use a 2023 calculator, but I'd like to plan for 2024 with the update marginal bracket cutoffs, capital gains rates, standard deduction, etc.

Any suggestions for what to use?
dcabler

Re: Decent 2024 estimated tax Calculator?

Post by dcabler »

orthros wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:33 pm I'd like to start using a calculator to determine my potential tax situation for 2024 (yes, I'm getting ahead of myself)

I know I can just use a 2023 calculator, but I'd like to plan for 2024 with the update marginal bracket cutoffs, capital gains rates, standard deduction, etc.

I use personal finance toolbox which can be downloaded from the wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Tools_and_calculators
It can do a lot more than what I use it for.

Cheers.
Goodenoughforme

Post by Goodenoughforme »

I’ve used dinkytown.net. It has various calculators and they’ve just updated their tax calculator for the 2024 tax year.
John Bogle- You have the ability to control: Risk, Time, and Cost, but not Reward in Investing!
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I use last year's tax software to divine current year tax. It's better than whatever janky website if your tax situation breaks the curve.
swengineer

Post by swengineer »

The excel1040.com forecasting spreadsheet for 2024 is available.
Topic Author
orthros

Post by orthros »

Goodenoughforme wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:49 pm I’ve used dinkytown.net. It has various calculators and they’ve just updated their tax calculator for the 2024 tax year.
Thanks for the recommendation. I tried out Dinkytown and that's exactly what I was looking for.
loghound

Post by loghound »

dcabler wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:36 pm
orthros wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:33 pm I'd like to start using a calculator to determine my potential tax situation for 2024 (yes, I'm getting ahead of myself)

I use personal finance toolbox which can be downloaded from the wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Tools_and_calculators

Cheers.
+1 on personal finance calculator -- it is a bit of a learning curve but has some really great features and is well worth the time to waste rit.
I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time. | - Blaise Pascal
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

loghound wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:34 pm
dcabler wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:36 pm

Cheers.
+1 on personal finance calculator -- it is a bit of a learning curve but has some really great features and is well worth the time to waste rit.
Significantly less of a learning curve than RPM, though! Really, though, if all you need from it is to estimate taxes, it's just a single tab you're going to care about and the inputs are pretty clearly marked.

Cheers.