Federal retiree and FEHB

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
dlw322

Federal retiree and FEHB

Post by dlw322 »

I went back to work as a second career with the Federal government. I am eligible to retire in June and be able to keep the FEHB. My finances are ok to retire so that is not the problem.

The question I have and I'm hoping someone else has first hand experience with this is that because I took this job as a second career and have not been here very long my pension will not be enough to cover the cost of my portion of the FEHB benefits. I have read that I can pay the difference. I am just concerned that somehow payments will get misplaced or there will be some other issue that will cause me to lose the health insurance. I'd love to hear if anyone has experience with this and if it worked out ok and the logistics. My only other option is to work a few more years to make sure I have enough of a buffer to fully cover the cost for the foreseeable future but I'm hoping to avoid that. TIA
tallguy3891

Re: Federal retiree and FEHB

Post by tallguy3891 »

dlw322 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:19 am I went back to work as a second career with the Federal government. I am eligible to retire in June and be able to keep the FEHB. My finances are ok to retire so that is not the problem.

The question I have and I'm hoping someone else has first hand experience with this is that because I took this job as a second career and have not been here very long my pension will not be enough to cover the cost of my portion of the FEHB benefits. I have read that I can pay the difference. I am just concerned that somehow payments will get misplaced or there will be some other issue that will cause me to lose the health insurance. I'd love to hear if anyone has experience with this and if it worked out ok and the logistics. My only other option is to work a few more years to make sure I have enough of a buffer to fully cover the cost for the foreseeable future but I'm hoping to avoid that. TIA
Sorry, no firsthand experience, and you might have already seen this, but here is a link to OPM on this topic. Starts at Benefits and Costs and following. I would make sure to contact OPM about the latest regulations and work with them closely.

https://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insuranc ... #annunsuff
Topic Author
dlw322

Re: Federal retiree and FEHB

Post by dlw322 »

tallguy3891 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:26 pm
dlw322 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:19 am I went back to work as a second career with the Federal government. I am eligible to retire in June and be able to keep the FEHB. My finances are ok to retire so that is not the problem.

Sorry, no firsthand experience, and you might have already seen this, but here is a link to OPM on this topic. Starts at Benefits and Costs and following. I would make sure to contact OPM about the latest regulations and work with them closely.

https://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insuranc ... #annunsuff
Yes I've read up on this probably too much. I was hoping to find someone with firsthand experience of how it has gone for them. I just picture things getting screwed up or the payment not being credited correctly. Anything is possible when it comes to things getting screwed up. just hoping if I decide to retire there wouldn't be any issues