Question on how to file dependent’s interest income and penalty

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
healthiswealth

Question on how to file dependent’s interest income and penalty

Post by healthiswealth »

Filing taxes
Broke my daughter’s (dependent minor, 10 yrs old) cd to invest in higher interest rate account.
It incurred a penalty of $928.11 and interest income of $560.14 in 2023, but will accrue far more interest when it matures this year.

How do I file the penalty and interest? It’s her only income.
FiveK

Re: Question on how to file dependent’s interest income and penalty

Post by FiveK »

Because it appears she doesn't meet any of the 2023 Filing Requirements for Dependents, you/she could simply not file.
Topic Author
healthiswealth

Post by healthiswealth »

ok, any harm in filing both amounts under my return?
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

healthiswealth wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:40 pm ok, any harm in filing both amounts under my return?
Are you looking to get an adjustment for her early withdrawal penalty onto your return? Don't think it works that way: it's attached to her SSN, not yours, and Form 8814 doesn't have a spot for that.
Topic Author
healthiswealth

Post by healthiswealth »

Yes, if I enter both the interest earned and penalty on my return, it does work out favorably vs. excluding both amounts. however in reviewing form 8814, I would just enter her interest and since it's less than $1250 there is no tax incurred, but no entry to include penalty?
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

healthiswealth wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:55 pm Yes, if I enter both the interest earned and penalty on my return, it does work out favorably vs. excluding both amounts. however in reviewing form 8814, I would just enter her interest and since it's less than $1250 there is no tax incurred, but no entry to include penalty?
That looks correct, leading back to "don't bother to file for her at all" as a choice to consider.
Topic Author
healthiswealth

Post by healthiswealth »

Makes sense, thanks!