Any Azul Wells fans here?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Small Law Survivor

Any Azul Wells fans here?

Post by Small Law Survivor »

I've been watching Azul's videos on Youtube. They are very soothing - he shoots them walking around the countryside - not sure how the manages this technically. He has a nice smile, and a soothing voice/demeanor. He's a retired financial advisor. His videos are short, and tend to be philosophical, sort of. His central theme is - life is short, don't short-change yourself. Retire early if you can.

I think I'm becoming an Azul groupie. Well, at least a fan.

https://www.azulwells.com/
https://www.youtube.com/@AzulWells
72 yrs. mostly-retired lawyer. Boglehead since day 1 (and M* Diehard long before that) under various names
student

Re: Any Azul Wells fans here?

Post by student »

I watched a lot of his videos but they are very repetitive. Mostly of the following theme.
1) Retirement smile spending.
2) Retire as soon as you can.
3) Use fee-only financial advisors.
wingman4uz

Post by wingman4uz »

I’ve watched a few. I usually don’t learn anything *new* but do appreciate the philosophical message on not delaying retirement too long, life is short etc. I need to be reminded of that often.
Last edited by wingman4uz on Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

student wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:01 pm I watched a lot of his videos but they are very repetitive. Mostly of the following theme.
And guess what, he's a fee only financial advisor.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
student

Post by student »

Brianmcg321 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:08 pm
student wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:01 pm I watched a lot of his videos but they are very repetitive. Mostly of the following theme.
And guess what, he's a fee only financial advisor.
Yes. That's true. He announces it at the beginning of every video that he has worked as a fee-only advisor for over 20 years.
SurferLife

Post by SurferLife »

I've only recently been watching a few Azul videos. I guess it's nice in that it kind of lines up with my beliefs, and he has a good message on retiring early, but I do find them repetitive and non-actionable (at least for me). I listen to him and say to myself that I'm glad I had a plan to get us where we're at. I do tend to zone-out when listening to him and wonder if I heard anything important. Often, his videos can be distracting because he does change up where he films, and no all environments are good for recording.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

Here’s a financial planner presenting an image of refreshing blue water, wearing blue contacts, walking around in circles, fishing for customers fearing death before 70.

I’m just not curious enough to sign up for his newsletter or search for his fees. I’m not interested in such a bath.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

Yes, I recently discovered him and enjoy his videos. I find him refreshing and calming.
dh

Post by dh »

I have watched, and greatly appreciated, Azul's youtube videos. I have seen the same 3 primary themes along with Azul highlighting the characteristics of the "go go years" and the "no go years."
Vinny_in_NJ

Post by Vinny_in_NJ »

I watch him but think he is just being generic. I think he's fishing for younger people who want to retire before some or most people can. I watch a few YouTube financial advisors to gain some knowledge but Azul's info is just "life advice".
djm2001

Post by djm2001 »

His channel seems to have disappeared off YouTube. Not sure if it's temporary or permanent. I noticed he was getting a lot of hate in the comments recently. It's a shame. I enjoyed his delivery.
AA = global stocks & bonds @ market weight (~60/40); EF = i-bonds; WR = -PMT(1%, 100-age, 1, 0, 1)
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

I thought you meant the board game, I am a fan of it.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
meowcat

Post by meowcat »

Yes, I watch, and enjoy his videos. He seems concerned about mistakes he sees investors make, and he genuinely doesn't want to see his viewers make the same mistakes.
What the bold print givith, the fine print taketh away. | -meowcat
Vinny_in_NJ

Post by Vinny_in_NJ »

He's still on YouTube. He just dropped a couple of videos.
fuj

Post by fuj »

4. At 60 years old, you probably have less than 1000 weeks of living left

With a handful of exceptions, once you've seen 3 or 4 Azul videos, you've seen them all.
porcupine73

Post by porcupine73 »

I really enjoyed Azul's videos too. I found this post because I was searching for what happened to his Youtube channel.

His web site still exists. On his homepage, he has a few of his Youtube videos embedded. If you click on any of those it just says the video is set to private. So I don't think he deleted his channel or his channel got deleted. Something must've gotten to him that made him set all the videos to private. Hopefully he makes them public again soon.
Last edited by porcupine73 on Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ckor12

Post by ckor12 »

He said he has been hacked. He is working with YouTube to get his channel back on line.
Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi »

I watched a few and found them to be too genealized and repetitive. He posted one video a few weeks ago attemting to collate the ideas of investing "greats" like Jim Cramer and Suze Orman and a few others. That was the final straw for me.
frugalecon

Post by frugalecon »

YouTube decided to start serving me his videos, and there were just too many, and they were all too similar. They might be comforting for some, but I found myself getting impatient.
porcupine73

Post by porcupine73 »

He does kind of go over the same stuff multiple times. But he's got some gems in there too. If I hadn't watched his videos I think I'd probably succumb to the 'just one more year' excuse for a long time.
Ramapo Fawlty Towers

Post by Ramapo Fawlty Towers »

Concerning the "Azul" Wells channel, I have mixed feelings. His content is well-produced, and engaging. He comes across as a congenial, well-intentioned, helpful, guy - he's telegenic. The rapid growth in views and subscribers suggests that he's doing a great job at monetizing his YouTube channel (although I have no idea to what extent). But is "Azul" a straight shooter ? Should I watch one of his videos and feel good about retiring earlier than I had planned, or is he just feeding me whatever soothing words I'd like to hear, albeit from a wealthy non-retired "fee-only financial advisor" dude ? He spends lots of time in airport lounges and other public places, so maybe his YT account was indeed hacked. Or maybe it wasn't. The YouTube side hustle became repetitive, maybe he's on hiatus, or maybe the channel is disliked by his fee-paying clients?