Collecting Survivor Benefits while New Spouse Working

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
rocket123

Collecting Survivor Benefits while New Spouse Working

Post by rocket123 »

I am retired and will turn 60 in October and plan on collecting Survivors benefits then.

I will be getting remarried in December to a spouse that earns about 200k.

I understand that
- since I am not working, no penalty on benefits apply based on my income
- but since our married filing jointly income will be 200k, 85% of my benefits will be subject to tax.

Do I have this correct? I don’t have to worry about one dollar of SS being withheld from me for every two dollars of SS due to me based on her still working do I?
Carl53

Re: Collecting Survivor Benefits while New Spouse Working

Post by Carl53 »

rocket123 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:14 am
Do I have this correct? I don’t have to worry about one dollar of SS being withheld from me for every two dollars of SS due to me based on her still working do I?
Yes. Your new spouse and you will be greatly benefited from the MFJ tax brackets that are twice as large as what she is currently experiencing.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

Her employment income has nothing to do with your gross SS benefit.

Cheers
ehh

Post by ehh »

You have it right.

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/survivors/ifyou.html
If you remarry after you reach age 60 (age 50 if you have a disability), your remarriage will not affect your eligibility for survivors benefits.

https://www.aarp.org/retirement/social- ... limit.html
Even if you file taxes jointly, Social Security does not count both spouses’ incomes against one spouse’s earnings limit. It’s only interested in how much you make from work while receiving benefits.
And "deemed filing" does not apply to survivor benefits. If your age 70 benefit is greater than your survivor benefit, you can, if you wish, wait until age 70 to file for benefits on your earnings record, maximizing the monthly amount you receive based on your earnings record.
Topic Author
rocket123

Post by rocket123 »

:sharebeer

Thank you all!