Help! Lost a 1099

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
meadowrue

Help! Lost a 1099

Post by meadowrue »

Tax experts, can you help? I misplaced one of DH’s 1099s for self-employment income, which he received from a company for which he is an independent contractor. I know exactly how much he earned through our own bookkeeping but what happens if I can’t find the form? Can I file our taxes without it? He will ask the company for a copy but they have since parted ways and the company is notoriously difficult to deal with. I am beside myself today because I am usually so responsible with all our tax paperwork. This has never happened in 20 years! I have searched high and low, and now have to accept that the form is missing. Suggestions? Thank you for your help.
“We must free ourselves of the hope that the sea will ever rest. We must learn to sail in high winds.”—Aristotle Onassis
jebmke

Re: Help! Lost a 1099

Post by jebmke »

You can enter the number in without a 1099 or complete a 1099-NEC in the software if you know the EIN for the payer (from last year, perhaps?).

The IRS already has a copy so it really doesn't matter how you do it.

People do Schedule C without a 1099-NEC all the time.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

You will probably find it later once you don't need it anymore. I e-file my taxes, and so physical copies of 1099s are never included, and that has never been a problem. If you have the data required to populate the needed tax forms and if the entries match what the IRS has, then I can't see it really being much of a problem in practice. Although I also really hate losing things.
Topic Author
meadowrue

Post by meadowrue »

jebmke wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:58 pm You can enter the number in without a 1099 or complete a 1099-NEC in the software if you know the EIN for the payer (from last year, perhaps?).

Yes, I have last year’s 1099! It has the Federal I.D. Number. Is that the EIN? Thank you!
“We must free ourselves of the hope that the sea will ever rest. We must learn to sail in high winds.”—Aristotle Onassis
Topic Author
meadowrue

Post by meadowrue »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:59 pm You will probably find it later once you don't need it anymore. I e-file my taxes, and so physical copies of 1099s are never included, and that has never been a problem. If you have the data required to populate the needed tax forms and if the entries match what the IRS has, then I can't see it really being much of a problem in practice. Although I also really hate losing things.
Thank you so much! I do know what he earned from commission statements and bank records, I just thought I had to file the physical form too. We use a tax accountant so DH is planning to call him tomorrow. I’m just in a panic! I have never misplaced one of these before.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

meadowrue wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:02 pm
jebmke wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:58 pm You can enter the number in without a 1099 or complete a 1099-NEC in the software if you know the EIN for the payer (from last year, perhaps?).

Yes, I have last year’s 1099! It has the Federal I.D. Number. Is that the EIN? Thank you!
yes, that is the EIN
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
Topic Author
meadowrue

Post by meadowrue »

jebmke wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:45 pm
meadowrue wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:02 pm

yes, that is the EIN
Thank you! Breathing a sigh of relief.