Have you ever replaced a perfectly fine car just because?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
kumjan

Have you ever replaced a perfectly fine car just because?

Post by kumjan »

I often find myself wanting to change my perfectly fine Subaru Forester for a gently used Lexus LX 570.

I considered this exact choice when I was buying the Forester but couldn't stomach the $65k+ price tag of LX when I can buy (and did buy!) a Forester half that. Yet I can't stop thinking about it.

I also fantasize about taking the LX, with a teardrop camper, on long road trip through the Rockies.

We can afford it (income 500+) but I consider that as a really bad choice. Wouldn't you??
Jeepguy

Re: Have you ever replaced a perfectly fine car just because?

Post by Jeepguy »

Have you test driven and if so is it to your liking? Before we bought my wife her last car we test drove so many cars, we were not impressed with the Lexus? Seemed just like driving a Toyota. Yes I know Toyota owns Lexus so no surprise. She wanted a Volvo from day one and after all the test drives, she still wanted a Volvo. Buy and drive what you want is my vote.
Topic Author
kumjan

Post by kumjan »

Jeepguy wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:32 am Have you test driven and if so is it to your liking? Before we bought my wife her last car we test drove so many cars, we were not impressed with the Lexus? Seemed just like driving a Toyota. Yes I know Toyota owns Lexus so no surprise. She wanted a Volvo from day one and after all the test drives, she still wanted a Volvo. Buy and drive what you want is my vote.
Yes I test drove it. What I really wanted is the Land Cruiser but that is way expensive and hard to find used. LX is its Lexus sibling.
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

kumjan wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:26 am I often find myself wanting to change my perfectly fine Subaru Forester for a gently used Lexus LX 570.

I considered this exact choice when I was buying the Forester but couldn't stomach the $65k+ price tag of LX when I can buy (and did buy!) a Forester half that. Yet I can't stop thinking about it.

I also fantasize about taking the LX, with a teardrop camper, on long road trip through the Rockies.

We can afford it (income 500+) but I consider that as a really bad choice. Wouldn't you??
The mental cycles we (some Bogleheads, myself included) spend on things like this are incalculable...

Sure, a less expensive car will get you from point A to point B, but if you'd prefer to make the journey in a Lexus and can afford it, then I think it's fine. I say this because some of the time & effort you put into earning money should be spent on things that bring you joy. If a Lexus will do that, then go for it.

However, if your retirement savings plan isn't on track, then of course, the answer is no.

Regards,
If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. -George Orwell
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Yes, all of the time when I was younger and didn’t understand the importance of saving money.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

With the increased durability and longevity of modern autos, this starts to be more of a reality for us.

In 2016 we replaced a car we'd bought in 2006 that literally had no problems we knew of. We bought a new one because we wanted the package of modern driver assist and safety features (backup video camera, blind spot sensors, adaptive cruise control, etc.)
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

It would be stupid for someone who makes fifty k, but for someone who makes 500k and is a boglehead it’s not. Being frugal is fine, but you can splurge occasionally. This of course assumes you do all the other responsible financial things, appropriate savings rate, no debt except mortgage, etc.
As Oscar Wilde said, “ Everything in moderation, including moderation.”
Be a boglehead, but take some notes from Ramit and live your rich life.
https://www.iwillteachyoutoberich.com/podcast/
Colorado Guy

Post by Colorado Guy »

kumjan wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:26 am I often find myself wanting to change my perfectly fine Subaru Forester for a gently used Lexus LX 570.

At 500+ salary, buy both. Use the Subaru for saving mileage from being put on the LX 570. Plus, the Subaru is easier to park at Costco. :D

With respect to your fantasy trip, you may find it just as enjoyable to stay at hotels (and restaurants) as opposed to a cramped teardrop camper. FYI, the Forester can tow up to 3,000 lbs, just saying.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Yes. It was quite awhile ago, but I bought an economy type car because I convinced myself that it was the practical choice and I didn’t need something nicer. I mostly hated that car. I lasted two years before I traded it in on something that I actually liked and wanted to drive. Of all the cars I have owned before and since, it is the only one that I couldn’t find something that I liked about it or enjoyed driving.

If you hate the car or even don’t love it and can afford something different, I’d get rid of it. Life is short.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

You have no reason to not buy a new LX 570 if you want one, and you're going to pay about that for something that will tow well. There's no reason to buy a "gently used" vs. new vehicle in your financial position.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

No - but I try not to have any emotions about my car. Hence, I drive a Honda CR-V.
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

With a 500K income you can do whatever you want with a perfectly fine car regardless of what anyone here thinks. Go for it! :D
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Some people get caught up with status when it comes to cars. My issue with spending money on cars is that it isn't an item you keep at home and control who interacts with it. Instead you are out and about and anyone can hit it, steal it, etc. and repairs are costly. I had a car stolen once, fortunately it was found within 24 hrs and easily repairable (just a broken window and fingerprint dust). Another time someone backed into my 3 month old car and in 2018 someone totaled my car (his fault).

I will admit to loving my Toyota MR2 when I was young and had it for a good decade. Obviously not exactly a practical car but at that time it was fine for me. My Acura RSX was a very good car and had a very deep hatchback and could hold a lot of stuff. I was disappointed when they stopped making the car since I would have bought another one.

I'm not into SUVs or large cars and would prefer something smaller and sporty but don't have any interest in paying a lot so I have a Hyundai Elantra that works well for me and didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Maybe keep your car but once in a while rent something more fun for a day or weekend? Or if you have a lot of money saved then go ahead and get a fun car.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

kumjan wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:26 am I also fantasize about taking the LX, with a teardrop camper, on long road trip through the Rockies.

Well, would you actually take the trip or would you still dream about it?

If you want to pull a small trailer I'd focus on vehicles that are best equipped to do that. I'd find the teardrop fanatic groups on Facebook etc. and follow their advice.
coffeeblack

Post by coffeeblack »

Have you seen the new GX 550 that is coming out?
eri

Post by eri »

Not sure what you’re intending for the vehicle but I thought the Land Cruiser/lx570 were a weird mix of heavy, small (too short to sleep in), vague handling, poor clearance and poor fuel economy. It’s a stumper for me why people have them. It’s a giant car to pick their kids up at school. A friend that had one said it was expensive to keep running - his ate brake rotors..

If you want to ‘camp’ through the Rockies, maybe rent a Tahoe? Or rent a built out sprinter with a kitchen and a fridge? Have you ever slept in a teardrop trailer? It’s a bit like sleeping in a big kayak.

Main thing is figure out your priorities. It’s pretty rare that one vehicle will do everything well and it’s easy to end up with something that’s bad at everything.
WeakOldGuy

Post by WeakOldGuy »

Folks make purchase decision on all kinds of things, large and small, for reasons other than what makes financial sense. I know my wife and I do. As long as the decision doesn't torpedo your financial plans and goals, then go ahead. However, never delude yourself that it is somehow a "deserved" purchase or somehow a financially wise decision. The cost of replacing your Forester with a Lexus should be placed in the same category as an entertainment expense.
On investing; I have lots of questions, many opinions, and little knowledge. A dangerous combination. Be warned.
backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

kumjan wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:26 am Have you ever replaced a perfectly fine car just because?
No, I haven't, but at my income level, I have to be more mindful about that type of thing.

An issue I would have with trailers is that they would be difficult to manage at trailhead parking areas, and hiking opportunities would be one of the primary reasons I would do a road trip through the Rockies.
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
CascadiaSoonish

Post by CascadiaSoonish »

We got a screaming deal on a leased car three years ago. Coming up on the end of the lease in a few months and we're leaning towards turning the car in rather than keeping it. It's a base model car that's perfectly serviceable for what we need (it's the third car for the high schoolers to get around) but not particularly nice in any meaningful way -- handling, comforts, features, inclement weather performance. Financially there's not an incentive to keep the car, the lease buyout is roughly what it's worth on the market. Though if we turn it in we'll be on the hook for whatever we get to replace it, which will almost certainly be significantly more expensive.

So yeah, we may hand the keys back to the dealer just because we could afford a car we like better.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

People have different vices. So stop living in fantasy. With that said, I think it's absolutely foolish to replaced a perfectly fine car just because. But that's just me.
Time is the ultimate currency.
PeninsulaPerson

Post by PeninsulaPerson »

Doctor Rhythm wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:24 am
No - but I try not to have any emotions about my car. Hence, I drive a Honda CR-V.

I did once - because I wanted some features on a new Accord that were not on the fairly-new Accord I had.

Turns out those features were less important to me than I had imagined they would be and some that I would never have paid for (heated seats!) that were in the newer car were amazing. The newer car was also a color I liked better.

I'd say it was a wash for me and I wouldn't do it again. It was a bit of a treat to do it and I was glad I gave myself that chance once tho'.

As to what Dr. Rhythm said above, that's where I am now. It's just a car - the fewer emotions the better. Much easier that way!
fasteddie911

Post by fasteddie911 »

Yes, but I enjoy cars. Everyone is different and prioritizes differently. Not every choice has to be the financially best choice. LIfe is meant to be enjoyed too. You can afford it and fortunately you can sell it if you change your mind.
Watty

Post by Watty »

kumjan wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:26 am but couldn't stomach the $65k+ price tag of LX
Just for brainstorming instead of the LX you might consider other vehicles that you could use for towing and keep the Forster as a daily driver.

Owning two vehicles might be more practical than having one big expensive vehicle.

An advantage of this is that if you used the LX as a daily driver you might put a lot of miles on it and want to replace it in maybe 7(??) years. With a separate vehicle which you mainly use for towing your tow vehicle could last for a very long time.

While you might enjoy the LX when you are on vacation it might be too big to be fun driving and parking the rest of the year.

There are lots of options including used vehicles but we have a smaller Ford Maverick club cab pickup truck and you can get those new with a 4,000 lb towing package for about $30K for a mid-trim level. We were also able to get a 10 year/60k mile extended warranty for about $1,000 which would is enough miles for us and if you use it as a second vehicle that would likely be enough for you too. I have never bought an extended warranty before but at that price it made sense.

Having a pickup can also be handy and if you have teenagers who will be driving having two cars would give them a car to drive too.
veggivet

Post by veggivet »

My partner is doing just that, replacing a perfectly fine 2013 VW GTI with 100k miles on it for a 'used' 2023 with 2k miles, because this is the last year VW will be making this model with a manual transmission. I will likely do something similar in 2027, replacing my current perfectly fine MINI Cooper with the next gen electric model that should offer a much longer range than the current electric model.

Go for the Lexus! You only live once.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

I have not, but have contemplated this.

Factors not to change:
Car insurance is sky high now. Around $3k a year for two cars, two drivers. No teens on insurance, yet!
Took my first waymo ride yesterday. Very good experience. Can imagine driverless options exploding next 5-10 years. Apparently waymo rides to SFO planned soon (?). Friends in SF have not driven their cars in 6 months.

Factors to change:
Still need mobility to rural places.
Safety features.
Additional kid drivers, may need 3rd vehicle.

At present I’m trending to not changing/buying. It’s so expensive! Upfront and ongoing
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

I have not.

But if I had had a $500k income (and adequate retirement funding, of course), I would have if I had wanted to. Without giving it a second thought.
nchowrin

Post by nchowrin »

I'm 72, and I've been comfortably retired since 2003. In 2009, I traded in a 1985 Maza RX-7 with 125,000 miles. It was brand new when I bought it and drove it for 25 years! I purchased a new Toyota 2010 Prius, which I drove until 2016, where I, too, traded it in, with just 22,000 miles, for a brand new 2016 Prius IV. I just traded in the 2016 Prius, with just 27,000 miles, for a brand new 2024 Prius Limited. Except for the Mazda, I primarily traded them in because of the technological improvements and safety advancements. After trading in the Mazda, I was amazed at the new technological features. Wow......CUP HOLDERS! I swore that I would never own a car that long again. Today, cars are so computerized and advanced that, like laptops & desktops, they become technically obsolete within about five years, missing many technological & safety improvements. My 2024 Prius Limited is the safest car I've ever owned, a pleasure to drive, and makes me a better driver.
Nottingham

Post by Nottingham »

Yes, I replaced my perfectly fine car with a new one because I needed a hitch. LX570 is a great vehicle with one of the best depreciation curves on the market.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

kumjan wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:26 am
Since we're fantasizing, I'd prefer not towing, but still have something easy to park and maneuver, I want to buy a Sprinter STRADA-ion, and travel around the country for a few years. That's after the multi year sailboat trip around the world, of course. But being married to someone rational is problematic here.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

Kagord wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:48 pm
kumjan wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:26 am
Since we're fantasizing, I'd prefer not towing, but still have something easy to park and maneuver, I want to buy a Sprinter STRADA-ion, and travel around the country for a few years. That's after the multi year sailboat trip around the world, of course. But being married to someone rational is problematic here.
Luckily, having a rational spouse means we will likely follow that plan. Otherwise, we might already own some kind of RV :)
gator15

Post by gator15 »

If you can’t stop thinking about it and are meeting your financial goals, I say buy it. I recently did the same. Had a car that was 11 years old and had over 105k miles but it drove fine. Probably could have gotten another 150k plus miles out of it. We got rid of it and bought another vehicle because we wanted something that was more fun to drive. Our mindset was we are meeting our financial goals, we still have money to travel etc. Buying this vehicle won’t change our lives financially long term so we purchased. Spend it or your heirs will.
cmr79

Post by cmr79 »

We've done this multiple times and have donated/sold at a discount the old vehicle to friends/family. We can easily afford the vehicles, so getting something a little nicer and helping out friends/family at the same time feels like a win-win.
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

Seems very reasonable, but you didn't mention other factors, such as savings rate, current fixed expenses, etc.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

nisiprius wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:40 am With the increased durability and longevity of modern autos, this starts to be more of a reality for us.

In 2016 we replaced a car we'd bought in 2006 that literally had no problems we knew of. We bought a new one because we wanted the package of modern driver assist and safety features (backup video camera, blind spot sensors, adaptive cruise control, etc.)
My unsubstantiated impression is that the durability and longevity curve peaked a while ago for vehicles, although it might peak again when a new technology takes hold (whether electric or whatever.) Definitely the 2000s was a massive improvement over the previous decades, but automakers were mostly just refining features by that time. Lately the influx of new features and the ever-tightening emissions and economy standards seem to be having a detrimental effect, much like the early days of emissions controls resulted in drivability issues decades ago, until manufacturers mostly figured that out.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

I think I'd buy a very comfortable, safe touring vehicle and then splurge on staying at historical, gorgeous lodges in the National Parks, like the Awanee in Yosemite.

But I've camped and backpacked in the past.

Been there. Done that. Got the t-shirt.

https://www.travelyosemite.com/lodging/ ... gle_places
Marq1

Post by Marq1 »

A car is an appliance, it gets you from Point a to b as cheaply as possible.

If you think people are impressed by the vehicle you dive, if you think you need something beyond a Yugo, spoiler alert, nobocy gives a [expletive deleted - moderator oldcomputerguy].
musicmom

Post by musicmom »

I didnt realize that someone with a 500k income would give more than 5 seconds thought to splurging on a new car.
I wouldn't in that position.

We're happily retired for 5 years and our income is a fraction of yours though entirely sufficient for us.
Our newest car is 12 years old with 120k.
The oldest that I drive is a 2008 with 58k on it. it's maintained, not falling apart and gets me around just fine. But boy am I bored with it!!

Starting to browse for a replacement....probably in the $35k range.

OP, please enjoy your new vehicle!
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

rich126 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:31 am Some people get caught up with status when it comes to cars. My issue with spending money on cars is that it isn't an item you keep at home and control who interacts with it. Instead you are out and about and anyone can hit it, steal it, etc. and repairs are costly. I had a car stolen once, fortunately it was found within 24 hrs and easily repairable (just a broken window and fingerprint dust). Another time someone backed into my 3 month old car and in 2018 someone totaled my car (his fault).
I love cars. All sorts of car. I
Love sports cars and I love off road capable SUVs. I just like cars. But as you mentioned, the problem with cars is that even if you do everything right taking care of them, it is so easy for something out of your control to damage your car. It has happened to me enough times to finally realize cars are meant to be used. That is what we do, we get cars for a purpose and use the crap out of it for that purpose. If they get beat up a little in the process, then so be it.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
Topic Author
kumjan

Post by kumjan »

Marq1 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:25 pm A car is an appliance, it gets you from Point a to b as cheaply as possible.

If you think people are impressed by the vehicle you dive, if you think you need something beyond a Yugo, spoiler alert, nobocy gives a [expletive deleted - moderator oldcomputerguy].
I didn't say, directly or indirectly, that my desire was to impress others.

Uncalled for comment.
Nottingham

Post by Nottingham »

Marq1 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:25 pm A car is an appliance, it gets you from Point a to b as cheaply as possible.

lol. I with nobody gave a [expletive deleted - moderator oldcomputerguy]. Haters do. And the nicer your ride is the more haters there are.
CloseEnough

Post by CloseEnough »

No problem, if you can afford it (sounds like you believe you can), then just go ahead and get it.

That said, for me it is the reverse. I have not replaced a perfectly not fine car just because (I could not EASILY afford it). Looking back, I could have, but no harm, no foul.
CloseEnough

Post by CloseEnough »

I take issue with this comment. A Yugo is not an appliance, in fact, not a car. And I say that having driven a Fiat wagon.
RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

Top 3 reasons for replacing a car:
3. Free SiriusXM trial expires
2. Volkswagen Settlement buyback for diesel vehicles
1. Ash tray full
“Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.” – Lao Tzu
CloseEnough

Post by CloseEnough »

RubyTuesday wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:01 pm Top 3 reasons for replacing a car:
3. Free SiriusXM trial expires
2. Volkswagen Settlement buyback for diesel vehicles
1. Ash tray full
I got two of three.
dogagility

Post by dogagility »

Yeah. Our Camry wouldn't die after 12 years. We were bored with it, so I sold it.
Make sure you check out my list of certifications. The list is short, and there aren't any. - Eric 0. from SMA
beyou

Post by beyou »

My only concern with cars are safety, reliability and comfort. Anything else does not matter to me and would not be worth spending more including upgrading more frequently. Before retiring I made a comparable income and also bought myself a Forester.
anoop

Post by anoop »

I don’t like to own cars outside of warranty so that becomes my impetus to replace a perfectly fine vehicle.

Don’t worry about spending if something brings you pleasure. Enjoy while you have the health. I have a lot of regrets for living frugally when I was young and healthier. Nothing in life is the same once health is gone. And health bills are so insane that everything else pales in comparison.
snowday2022

Post by snowday2022 »

Small hatchbacks 10-15 years old…worth replacing for a newer car with larger size and safety features? Assuming the finances are trivial.
bling

Post by bling »

kumjan wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:26 am We can afford it (income 500+) but I consider that as a really bad choice. Wouldn't you??
you only live once. what's the point of making all that money if you're not going to spend it on things that bring you joy?

with that income you can easily afford a 100k car. a 65k car is on the "cheaper" side relative to your income.
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

You're making 500k. If you want the Lexus buy it. Shouldn't some of your money be used for things you enjoy?

Or how about this. Rent an LX and take it on the Rockies trip you planned. That's the perfect way to determine how much you like the Lexus. If you enjoyed driving it, buy one.

Looks like the 2024 LX MSRP is 93k. You still can afford it.

Francis
Last edited by fsrph on Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie