Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Post Reply
Topic Author
chinchin
Posts: 790
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:02 pm

Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by chinchin »

[Topic for 2023 started here with posts split from the 2022 thread Fidelity free Turbotax 2022 - mod mkc]

Anyone get it for 2023 yet?
not financial advice
User avatar
fetch5482
Posts: 1717
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:55 pm

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2022

Post by fetch5482 »

chinchin wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:49 pm Anyone get it for 2023 yet?
Given TurboTax online is not yet available for 2023, I don't think it would be available yet from Fidelity either.

Edit: nevermind, TT 2023 online is available now! However I do not see it on Fidelity yet.
Last edited by fetch5482 on Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(AGE minus 23%) Bonds | 5% REITs | Balance 80% US (75/25 TSM/SCV) + 20% International (80/20 Developed/Emerging)
MisterBill
Posts: 1167
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:21 pm

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2022

Post by MisterBill »

chinchin wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:49 pm Anyone get it for 2023 yet?
It's too early. If you look at this thread, you'll see that last year it showed up on 12/15.

But just for the he** of it, I checked and it's not there. I did get this message, since most of the usual boxes are not there.

"You are temporarily seeing a simplified version of your Summary page where all content is not viewable. We are urgently working to restore full access. Thank you for your patience."
MisterBill
Posts: 1167
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:21 pm

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2022

Post by MisterBill »

fetch5482 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:02 pm
chinchin wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:49 pm Anyone get it for 2023 yet?
Given TurboTax online is not yet available for 2023, I don't think it would be available yet from Fidelity either.
Not sure why you're saying that, since it's definitely available.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/live/

But as I said in my other reply, it's too early for the Fidelity offer.
marcopolo
Posts: 8342
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:22 am

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2022

Post by marcopolo »

MisterBill wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:03 pm
chinchin wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:49 pm Anyone get it for 2023 yet?
It's too early. If you look at this thread, you'll see that last year it showed up on 12/15.

But just for the he** of it, I checked and it's not there. I did get this message, since most of the usual boxes are not there.

"You are temporarily seeing a simplified version of your Summary page where all content is not viewable. We are urgently working to restore full access. Thank you for your patience."
Fidelity is definitely having some problems with their website today. I logged on to see if I could answer a question someone on another thread had about being able to see fund holding % across multiple accounts. When I went to the "Analysis" tab, my heart skipped a beat when I saw a portfolio value of $0!
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
User avatar
CardinalRule
Posts: 1171
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:01 am
Location: United States

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2022

Post by CardinalRule »

marcopolo wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:12 pm
Fidelity is definitely having some problems with their website today. I logged on to see if I could answer a question someone on another thread had about being able to see fund holding % across multiple accounts. When I went to the "Analysis" tab, my heart skipped a beat when I saw a portfolio value of $0!
Redditors are not happy:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fidelityinvest ... day_12123/
pizzy
Posts: 4339
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:59 pm

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2022

Post by pizzy »

CardinalRule wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:18 pm
Redditors are not happy
Are they ever?
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
TheRealJohnDoe
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 10:06 am

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by TheRealJohnDoe »

Each year, there is a thread speculating on 1) when the Fidelity offer will appear, 2) who is eligible, and 3) how to get the desktop versions instead of online. I've been following the discussions for about seven years so here is a summary:

1) Almost without exception, it has been the Thursday closest to December 15th. Since the 15th falls on Friday this year, I hope that means next Thursday.

2) No one knows. You don't know. I don't know. Fidelity reps and client advisors don't know either. Every time someone claims to know, counter data points appear. For example, some will say active trader, but I haven't done a stock trade in 15 years. Some say it is assets in non-qualified accounts at Fidelity, but my assets in non-qualified accounts at Fidelity total one penny. It's also hard to vet data points because some people report getting the TurboTax offer but they are actually talking about the percent off discount that everywhere offers everyone.

3) Each year, they make it difficult to find the desktop version (which is more feature complete than online version) in the offer. But so far, someone has been able to figure the magic path to take once the offer appears to get the desktop version.
User avatar
NavyIC3
Posts: 321
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:18 pm

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by NavyIC3 »

Last year I was required to pay sales tax on the free Turbotax.
User avatar
fetch5482
Posts: 1717
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:55 pm

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by fetch5482 »

TheRealJohnDoe wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:28 am Each year, there is a thread speculating on 1) when the Fidelity offer will appear, 2) who is eligible, and 3) how to get the desktop versions instead of online. I've been following the discussions for about seven years so here is a summary:

1) Almost without exception, it has been the Thursday closest to December 15th. Since the 15th falls on Friday this year, I hope that means next Thursday.

2) No one knows. You don't know. I don't know. Fidelity reps and client advisors don't know either. Every time someone claims to know, counter data points appear. For example, some will say active trader, but I haven't done a stock trade in 15 years. Some say it is assets in non-qualified accounts at Fidelity, but my assets in non-qualified accounts at Fidelity total one penny. It's also hard to vet data points because some people report getting the TurboTax offer but they are actually talking about the percent off discount that everywhere offers everyone.

3) Each year, they make it difficult to find the desktop version (which is more feature complete than online version) in the offer. But so far, someone has been able to figure the magic path to take once the offer appears to get the desktop version.
Thanks for the summary - super useful to know (1)!

For (3) - last year (2022 tax year) the download version required payment of $5 while online was free. Not that it matters for most of us since the amount is small, but that is another example of Intuit (or Fidelity, or both) discouraging use of desktop version and pushing people towards online.
(AGE minus 23%) Bonds | 5% REITs | Balance 80% US (75/25 TSM/SCV) + 20% International (80/20 Developed/Emerging)
MisterBill
Posts: 1167
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:21 pm

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by MisterBill »

TheRealJohnDoe wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:28 am 3) Each year, they make it difficult to find the desktop version (which is more feature complete than online version) in the offer. But so far, someone has been able to figure the magic path to take once the offer appears to get the desktop version.
That's easy enough to figure out now. At the top of the page, click on Do it yourself -> Do taxes with Desktop Software.
MisterBill
Posts: 1167
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:21 pm

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by MisterBill »

NavyIC3 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:36 am Last year I was required to pay sales tax on the free Turbotax.
Because we had to pay $5 for the download.

But I had offers from Chase for $10 back on any TT purchase, so it more than paid for the $5.41.
frugalor
Posts: 516
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:35 am

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by frugalor »

MisterBill wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:40 am
NavyIC3 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:36 am Last year I was required to pay sales tax on the free Turbotax.
Because we had to pay $5 for the download.

But I had offers from Chase for $10 back on any TT purchase, so it more than paid for the $5.41.
Is the free turbotax from Fidelity out yet? Or are you folks talking about last year?

I just logged into my chase account and see the $10 back offer is on purchase of $25 or more directly from Turbotax. That wouldn't cover a $5 purchase. Maybe it was a better deal last year?
MisterBill
Posts: 1167
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:21 pm

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by MisterBill »

frugalor wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:55 am Is the free turbotax from Fidelity out yet? Or are you folks talking about last year?

I just logged into my chase account and see the $10 back offer is on purchase of $25 or more directly from Turbotax. That wouldn't cover a $5 purchase. Maybe it was a better deal last year?
If you look at the earlier post here you will see that it's not out yet.

I had not checked Chase when I posted. Disappointing that it's on a $25 purchase this year. Last year there was no minimum.

Just checked Citi and it also has a $25 minimum.
Last edited by MisterBill on Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
fetch5482
Posts: 1717
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:55 pm

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by fetch5482 »

Reminder that usually online version includes state e-file for free, whereas desktop version requires payment (except in NY).

On the flip side, the online version will require you to upgrade to a more expensive version (like home & business) if you have certain forms whereas the desktop version will prompt you for it but it's not required to upgrade as it's capable up doing all forms. You may miss a few guided prompts but you'll still be able to complete your returns.
(AGE minus 23%) Bonds | 5% REITs | Balance 80% US (75/25 TSM/SCV) + 20% International (80/20 Developed/Emerging)
lazynovice
Posts: 3281
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:48 pm
Location: Denver area. Former Texan.

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by lazynovice »

TheRealJohnDoe wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:28 am Each year, there is a thread speculating on 1) when the Fidelity offer will appear, 2) who is eligible, and 3) how to get the desktop versions instead of online. I've been following the discussions for about seven years so here is a summary:

1) Almost without exception, it has been the Thursday closest to December 15th. Since the 15th falls on Friday this year, I hope that means next Thursday.

2) No one knows. You don't know. I don't know. Fidelity reps and client advisors don't know either. Every time someone claims to know, counter data points appear. For example, some will say active trader, but I haven't done a stock trade in 15 years. Some say it is assets in non-qualified accounts at Fidelity, but my assets in non-qualified accounts at Fidelity total one penny. It's also hard to vet data points because some people report getting the TurboTax offer but they are actually talking about the percent off discount that everywhere offers everyone.

3) Each year, they make it difficult to find the desktop version (which is more feature complete than online version) in the offer. But so far, someone has been able to figure the magic path to take once the offer appears to get the desktop version.
Great post!
MisterBill
Posts: 1167
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:21 pm

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by MisterBill »

fetch5482 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:22 am Reminder that usually online version includes state e-file for free, whereas desktop version requires payment (except in NY).
And the online version even gives you multiple states for free. You'd have to pay for the second state download with the CD version. Most people do not realize that (it's not advertised, and they claim you need to pay, but the price has always been $0).
LSLover
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 1:39 pm

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by LSLover »

MisterBill wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:16 pm
fetch5482 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:22 am Reminder that usually online version includes state e-file for free, whereas desktop version requires payment (except in NY).
And the online version even gives you multiple states for free. You'd have to pay for the second state download with the CD version. Most people do not realize that (it's not advertised, and they claim you need to pay, but the price has always been $0).
The CD/download version allows to file multiple returns at no additional charge. Perhaps up to 5 could be e-filed for free. Can you do that using the online version?
MisterBill
Posts: 1167
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:21 pm

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by MisterBill »

LSLover wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:06 pm The CD/download version allows to file multiple returns at no additional charge. Perhaps up to 5 could be e-filed for free. Can you do that using the online version?
I don't think so (although I've never used the online version to file so I'm not sure if you can do multiple returns on a single login). But that's not an issue with the Fidelity deal since you could just create a new TT account.
sil2017
Posts: 680
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:25 am

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by sil2017 »

I received it last year.

What is the criteria? I

Hoping there will be a freebie again this year
User avatar
CyclingDuo
Posts: 5957
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:07 am

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by CyclingDuo »

sil2017 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:59 pm I received it last year.

What is the criteria? I

Hoping there will be a freebie again this year
Read this. Twice. :mrgreen:

viewtopic.php?p=7584987#p7584987
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel | "Pick a bushel, save a peck!" - Grandpa
HereToLearn
Posts: 1502
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:53 pm

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by HereToLearn »

MisterBill wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:16 pm
fetch5482 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:22 am Reminder that usually online version includes state e-file for free, whereas desktop version requires payment (except in NY).
And the online version even gives you multiple states for free. You'd have to pay for the second state download with the CD version. Most people do not realize that (it's not advertised, and they claim you need to pay, but the price has always been $0).
I never knew that! I end up paying for two extra states each year so this will be a lovely savings.

Do you know if there are differences between the online and desktop version, specifically if the online version allows use of Forms?
nalor511
Posts: 4891
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:00 am

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by nalor511 »

HereToLearn wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:14 pm
MisterBill wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:16 pm
fetch5482 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:22 am Reminder that usually online version includes state e-file for free, whereas desktop version requires payment (except in NY).
And the online version even gives you multiple states for free. You'd have to pay for the second state download with the CD version. Most people do not realize that (it's not advertised, and they claim you need to pay, but the price has always been $0).
I never knew that! I end up paying for two extra states each year so this will be a lovely savings.

Do you know if there are differences between the online and desktop version, specifically if the online version allows use of Forms?
Online doesn't have a forms view, but you can view and download the full PDF at any time, but it's more annoying and fiddly than desktop software in that respect
HereToLearn
Posts: 1502
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:53 pm

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by HereToLearn »

nalor511 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:15 pm
HereToLearn wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:14 pm
MisterBill wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:16 pm
fetch5482 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:22 am Reminder that usually online version includes state e-file for free, whereas desktop version requires payment (except in NY).
And the online version even gives you multiple states for free. You'd have to pay for the second state download with the CD version. Most people do not realize that (it's not advertised, and they claim you need to pay, but the price has always been $0).
I never knew that! I end up paying for two extra states each year so this will be a lovely savings.

Do you know if there are differences between the online and desktop version, specifically if the online version allows use of Forms?
Online doesn't have a forms view, but you can view and download the full PDF at any time, but it's more annoying and fiddly than desktop software in that respect
Thank you for the quick response. I may stick with the desktop then and just pay the additional state fees.
nalor511
Posts: 4891
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:00 am

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by nalor511 »

HereToLearn wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:16 pm
nalor511 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:15 pm
HereToLearn wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:14 pm
MisterBill wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:16 pm
fetch5482 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:22 am Reminder that usually online version includes state e-file for free, whereas desktop version requires payment (except in NY).
And the online version even gives you multiple states for free. You'd have to pay for the second state download with the CD version. Most people do not realize that (it's not advertised, and they claim you need to pay, but the price has always been $0).
I never knew that! I end up paying for two extra states each year so this will be a lovely savings.

Do you know if there are differences between the online and desktop version, specifically if the online version allows use of Forms?
Online doesn't have a forms view, but you can view and download the full PDF at any time, but it's more annoying and fiddly than desktop software in that respect
Thank you for the quick response. I may stick with the desktop then and just pay the additional state fees.
OLT.com is only $10 for state, free fed, and has a great forms view. But I do not know if they support multiple state
HereToLearn
Posts: 1502
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:53 pm

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by HereToLearn »

nalor511 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:18 pm
HereToLearn wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:16 pm
nalor511 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:15 pm
HereToLearn wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:14 pm
MisterBill wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:16 pm
And the online version even gives you multiple states for free. You'd have to pay for the second state download with the CD version. Most people do not realize that (it's not advertised, and they claim you need to pay, but the price has always been $0).
I never knew that! I end up paying for two extra states each year so this will be a lovely savings.

Do you know if there are differences between the online and desktop version, specifically if the online version allows use of Forms?
Online doesn't have a forms view, but you can view and download the full PDF at any time, but it's more annoying and fiddly than desktop software in that respect
Thank you for the quick response. I may stick with the desktop then and just pay the additional state fees.
OLT.com is only $10 for state, free fed, and has a great forms view. But I do not know if they support multiple state
Thanks for the info. Not inspired to try something new (read: Too lazy!). Fidelity usually pays for my Fed + first state so not too terrible.
nalor511
Posts: 4891
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:00 am

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by nalor511 »

HereToLearn wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:25 pm
nalor511 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:18 pm OLT.com is only $10 for state, free fed, and has a great forms view. But I do not know if they support multiple state
Thanks for the info. Not inspired to try something new (read: Too lazy!). Fidelity usually pays for my Fed + first state so not too terrible.
I hear you. I also prefer the OLT UI. I just checked, they support multiple states. I'm going to use them over TT this year due to the quicker form updates and I actually prefer the UI. I've filed with both. Cheers
FBN2014
Posts: 871
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:07 pm

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by FBN2014 »

Does Fidelity offer the Home & Business version for self employed? Do they offer the Business version for trust returns?
"October is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May March, June, December, August and February." - M. Twain
User avatar
fetch5482
Posts: 1717
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:55 pm

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by fetch5482 »

FBN2014 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:33 pm Does Fidelity offer the Home & Business version for self employed? Do they offer the Business version for trust returns?
No, but the desktop version of premier should suffice if you know what you're doing. It'll not give guided prompts on everything but you'll be able to import business forms and have it prepare the associated tax forms. This has generally sufficed for my (relatively simple) business returns but if you have a more complex situation you'll either have to go in form mode to edit manually or purchase H&B version for guided prompts.
(AGE minus 23%) Bonds | 5% REITs | Balance 80% US (75/25 TSM/SCV) + 20% International (80/20 Developed/Emerging)
MisterBill
Posts: 1167
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:21 pm

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by MisterBill »

fetch5482 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:45 pm
FBN2014 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:33 pm Does Fidelity offer the Home & Business version for self employed? Do they offer the Business version for trust returns?
No, but the desktop version of premier should suffice if you know what you're doing. It'll not give guided prompts on everything but you'll be able to import business forms and have it prepare the associated tax forms. This has generally sufficed for my (relatively simple) business returns but if you have a more complex situation you'll either have to go in form mode to edit manually or purchase H&B version for guided prompts.
We've been able to upgrade to H&B from within the download version of Premier for only $10 in the past. I'm not sure if there is any concept of upgrading from the version you're getting for free in the online version since in theory you pay at filing. Maybe if you go through the "payment" process and then go back to enter the data?
nalor511
Posts: 4891
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:00 am

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by nalor511 »

MisterBill wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:46 pm
fetch5482 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:45 pm
FBN2014 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:33 pm Does Fidelity offer the Home & Business version for self employed? Do they offer the Business version for trust returns?
No, but the desktop version of premier should suffice if you know what you're doing. It'll not give guided prompts on everything but you'll be able to import business forms and have it prepare the associated tax forms. This has generally sufficed for my (relatively simple) business returns but if you have a more complex situation you'll either have to go in form mode to edit manually or purchase H&B version for guided prompts.
We've been able to upgrade to H&B from within the download version of Premier for only $10 in the past. I'm not sure if there is any concept of upgrading from the version you're getting for free in the online version since in theory you pay at filing. Maybe if you go through the "payment" process and then go back to enter the data?
You can (and should) go through the checkout before filing, if you have the Fidelity promo. One year I made the mistake of not doing that right away (I thought I had) and it was trying to charge me full price at the later date.
Lyrrad
Posts: 846
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:59 am

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by Lyrrad »

fetch5482 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:45 pm
FBN2014 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:33 pm Does Fidelity offer the Home & Business version for self employed? Do they offer the Business version for trust returns?
No, but the desktop version of premier should suffice if you know what you're doing. It'll not give guided prompts on everything but you'll be able to import business forms and have it prepare the associated tax forms. This has generally sufficed for my (relatively simple) business returns but if you have a more complex situation you'll either have to go in form mode to edit manually or purchase H&B version for guided prompts.
I can't figure out the features of each TurboTax Online product, since I can't find a page that describes what forms/situations are supported by each edition.

I believe TurboTax Desktop Deluxe was sufficient for me in all prior years, and H&R Block Desktop Deluxe should work for me again that I don't need to use a form that they dropped support for in 2021 anymore.

Does TurboTax Online Premier support all situations that TurboTax Desktop Deluxe supports? If not, how can I determine which edition I would need or what situations it does and doesn't support?

I prefer to e-file, and I don't like paying a lot extra for that. In the past, I've printed and mailed state taxes to avoid the fee for Desktop editions and I've used OLT.com the past couple of years.
MisterBill
Posts: 1167
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:21 pm

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by MisterBill »

Lyrrad wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:35 pm I can't figure out the features of each TurboTax Online product, since I can't find a page that describes what forms/situations are supported by each edition.
There must be other threads where general TurboTax discussions can take place. This isn't the correct place. This thread should be for discussing the Fidelity offer (assuming we get it).
Lyrrad
Posts: 846
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:59 am

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by Lyrrad »

MisterBill wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:43 pm There must be other threads where general TurboTax discussions can take place. This isn't the correct place. This thread should be for discussing the Fidelity offer (assuming we get it).
I was (inconcisely) trying to figure out which TurboTax product to select if I receive Fidelity's offer.

There were many posts in the threads from last year and this year discussing these differences, and having a single list of the differences can be useful.

Based on posts on this thread and last year's one:

TurboTax Premier Desktop: Includes 1 state, $40 for each additional state; state e-file $20 extra for all states except NY. Includes filing up to 5 returns.
TurboTax Premier Online: Includes unlimited states, state e-file included. Includes filing for 1 return. No forms view. Requires paid upgrade to more expensive edition in certain tax situations that Premier Desktop supports.

(Edit: Corrected edition of Desktop edition that Fidelity has offered.)
Last edited by Lyrrad on Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
fetch5482
Posts: 1717
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:55 pm

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by fetch5482 »

Lyrrad wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:35 pm Does TurboTax Online Premier support all situations that TurboTax Desktop Deluxe supports? If not, how can I determine which edition I would need or what situations it does and doesn't support?
I believe yes, premier is a superset of deluxe. TT desktop deluxe is sufficient for most people and when I used to pay for TT I always bought the deluxe + state desktop version. Since the past couple years Fidelity is giving he premier online for free (and desktop premier for $5) - so I've not had to buy one and had been sufficient for my needs.
(AGE minus 23%) Bonds | 5% REITs | Balance 80% US (75/25 TSM/SCV) + 20% International (80/20 Developed/Emerging)
MisterBill
Posts: 1167
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:21 pm

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by MisterBill »

fetch5482 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:02 pm
Lyrrad wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:35 pm Does TurboTax Online Premier support all situations that TurboTax Desktop Deluxe supports? If not, how can I determine which edition I would need or what situations it does and doesn't support?
I believe yes, premier is a superset of deluxe. TT desktop deluxe is sufficient for most people and when I used to pay for TT I always bought the deluxe + state desktop version. Since the past couple years Fidelity is giving he premier online for free (and desktop premier for $5) - so I've not had to buy one and had been sufficient for my needs.
Online Premier is actually comparable to download Deluxe. They tried to sync them up a few years ago by removing features from the desktop version. It did not end well. But yes, Premier always has all of the features of the lower version plus some.
TheRealJohnDoe
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 10:06 am

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by TheRealJohnDoe »

MisterBill wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:56 pm Online Premier is actually comparable to download Deluxe.
Does online offer forms mode (that you could do data entry, not just print out). I start with step-by-step of the desktop Premier until I get the basic questions answered and last year's data imported, then I spend the rest of the season in forms mode.
MisterBill
Posts: 1167
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:21 pm

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by MisterBill »

TheRealJohnDoe wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:29 pm Does online offer forms mode (that you could do data entry, not just print out). I start with step-by-step of the desktop Premier until I get the basic questions answered and last year's data imported, then I spend the rest of the season in forms mode.
Their system allows you to sign up for the online filing without having to pay until you file. You could try it out and see. And I think that someone else already said that it does not support forms mode.

Or you could find a thread here or elsewhere (maybe even on the TT website) that talks about the product and can give you informed details, as opposed to cluttering up this thread with off-topic discussion.
User avatar
fetch5482
Posts: 1717
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:55 pm

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by fetch5482 »

TheRealJohnDoe wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:29 pm
MisterBill wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:56 pm Online Premier is actually comparable to download Deluxe.
Does online offer forms mode (that you could do data entry, not just print out). I start with step-by-step of the desktop Premier until I get the basic questions answered and last year's data imported, then I spend the rest of the season in forms mode.
Best of my knowledge there is no forms mode with online. You can complete checkout and pay money upfront (your cart will be $0 with the Fidelity offer so you can checkout without paying anything), which allows you to print/preview into PDF so you can see the forms.. But that mode is still not as versatile as the desktop version as you can't edit things in forms mode like you can with the desktop version.
Last edited by fetch5482 on Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(AGE minus 23%) Bonds | 5% REITs | Balance 80% US (75/25 TSM/SCV) + 20% International (80/20 Developed/Emerging)
nalor511
Posts: 4891
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:00 am

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by nalor511 »

TheRealJohnDoe wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:29 pm
MisterBill wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:56 pm Online Premier is actually comparable to download Deluxe.
Does online offer forms mode (that you could do data entry, not just print out). I start with step-by-step of the desktop Premier until I get the basic questions answered and last year's data imported, then I spend the rest of the season in forms mode.
No. You can preview/download the PDF and that's all
PatrickA5
Posts: 975
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:55 pm

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by PatrickA5 »

I have never been offered free Turbo Tax. It's humiliating. I have to buy it like the rest of the common folks. Years of therapy have lessened the hard feelings, but it just ain't right. I'm a Fidelity Private Client. I'm special and should get my Turbotax for free. I may have to move everything back to Vanguard where I was Flagship and had my own Flagship representative that worked only for me. I think. Come to think of it, I never got free Turbotax from him either. Maybe Schwab will give it to me....
erp
Posts: 565
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:19 pm

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by erp »

PatrickA5 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:48 pm I have never been offered free Turbo Tax. It's humiliating. I have to buy it like the rest of the common folks. Years of therapy have lessened the hard feelings, but it just ain't right. I'm a Fidelity Private Client. I'm special and should get my Turbotax for free. I may have to move everything back to Vanguard where I was Flagship and had my own Flagship representative that worked only for me. I think. Come to think of it, I never got free Turbotax from him either. Maybe Schwab will give it to me....
This may be the best explanation yet of why this thread gets hundreds of posts every year!

btw IIRC last year someone leaked the URL and then any fidelity customer was "special" for a while, till they fixed the loophole.
User avatar
GeraniumLover
Posts: 555
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:39 pm

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by GeraniumLover »

I picked up a boxed copy from Amazon's Black Friday sale, just in case Fidelity doesn't bless me this year.
TheRealJohnDoe
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 10:06 am

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by TheRealJohnDoe »

fetch5482 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:46 pm Best of my knowledge there is no forms mode with online.
You made a comment indicating you were very familiar with the features of both the online and desktop versions. I suppose you were just guessing. I have evaluated it in the past and found it unacceptable for my use since there is no forms mode and that's how I use the program.
TheRealJohnDoe wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:29 pm cluttering up this thread with off-topic discussion
One of us made a statement about features comparison between online and desktop. That wasn't me.
User avatar
fetch5482
Posts: 1717
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:55 pm

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by fetch5482 »

TheRealJohnDoe wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:35 pm
fetch5482 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:46 pm Best of my knowledge there is no forms mode with online.
You made a comment indicating you were very familiar with the features of both the online and desktop versions. I suppose you were just guessing. I have evaluated it in the past and found it unacceptable for my use since there is no forms mode and that's how I use the program.
TheRealJohnDoe wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:29 pm cluttering up this thread with off-topic discussion
One of us made a statement about features comparison between online and desktop. That wasn't me.
I am not sure who you are responding to. Masterbill perhaps? Not sure why you quoted me, because I never made the claim in this thread that I am very familiar with both online and desktop versions. I am familiar with both, but only used online for 1 year (since Fidelity gave it free to me last year), and desktop for all other years.
(AGE minus 23%) Bonds | 5% REITs | Balance 80% US (75/25 TSM/SCV) + 20% International (80/20 Developed/Emerging)
tj
Posts: 9102
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by tj »

User avatar
NavyIC3
Posts: 321
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:18 pm

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by NavyIC3 »

Just downloaded TT for TY 2023. $5.00 plus tax. Go to Fido site and search for TT.
Gadget
Posts: 1021
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:38 pm

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by Gadget »

tj wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:09 am It appears it is live now:

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums ... 20204.html
It's working for me when I search for "Turbotax" in the fidelity search bar and click on the first link that says discount.
tj
Posts: 9102
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by tj »

NavyIC3 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:36 am Just downloaded TT for TY 2023. $5.00 plus tax. Go to Fido site and search for TT.
I assume you have $500k+ ?

When i searched, I was offered a whopping $20 discount. Of course the $1500 I received from Schwab over the last 2 years pays for a couple decades worth of TurboTax. :D
User avatar
calmaniac
Posts: 1310
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:32 pm

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by calmaniac »

tj wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:38 am
NavyIC3 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:36 am Just downloaded TT for TY 2023. $5.00 plus tax. Go to Fido site and search for TT.
I assume you have $500k+ ?

When i searched, I was offered a whopping $20 discount. Of course the $1500 I received from Schwab over the last 2 years pays for a couple decades worth of TurboTax. :D
I have >$1 million in a taxable brokerage account at Fidelity. Just logged in and searched for "Turbotax" and got a page for a 20% discount. :annoyed
"Pretired", working 20 h/wk. AA 75/25: 30% TSM, 19% value (VFVA/AVUV), 18% Int'l LC, 8% emerging, 25% GFund/VBTLX. Military pension ≈60% of expenses. Pension+SS@age 70 ≈100% of expenses.
Post Reply