PDF Bill Aggregators - e.g., Finovera, FileThis

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
virginiabirdie

PDF Bill Aggregators - e.g., Finovera, FileThis

Post by virginiabirdie »

The most recent threads on this are pretty old, so making new one.

Any luck with finding an online aggregator that downloads PDF bills? I don't quite trust the ones that just download transactions, since my previous experience (admittedly a decade ago) is that sometimes the connections broke and transactions were missed.

Just tried Finovera. Out of the 5 banks and 1 utility I tried, only Bank of America was able to connect.

Any other ideas?
czaj

Re: PDF Bill Aggregators - e.g., Finovera, FileThis

Post by czaj »

I’ve been using filethis.com for many years. As banks increased security, many logins required reconnection frequently.

As far as I know, there isn’t a good solution. I’m switching over to downloading manually for now. At least most statements now format file names in a structured manner.
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

OP,

I have been using Quicken, Downloading Transactions and Reconciling to be sure nothing is missed for successfully for many years. It works well for us…

WoodSpinner
WoodSpinner
Topic Author
virginiabirdie

Post by virginiabirdie »

czaj wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:20 am I’ve been using filethis.com for many years. As banks increased security, many logins required reconnection frequently.

As far as I know, there isn’t a good solution. I’m switching over to downloading manually for now. At least most statements now format file names in a structured manner.
Thanks! They are shutting down in October. https://filethis.com/
Topic Author
virginiabirdie

Post by virginiabirdie »

WoodSpinner wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:06 am OP,

I have been using Quicken, Downloading Transactions and Reconciling to be sure nothing is missed for successfully for many years. It works well for us…

WoodSpinner
Thanks for this! To reconcile, I assume you need a statement. Did I get that right?
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

virginiabirdie wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:46 am

WoodSpinner
Thanks for this! To reconcile, I assume you need a statement. Did I get that right?
Either a statement or a current online balance. Also quicken downloads the current online balance which helps you confirm your transaction set is complete and reconciled - which I find extremely helpful.

I really never look at a statement. I do download them occasionally just to have as backup.
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

WoodSpinner
Nope, it just uses the online account balances ….
WoodSpinner
Topic Author
virginiabirdie

Post by virginiabirdie »

WoodSpinner wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:49 pm

WoodSpinner
Nope, it just uses the online account balances ….
Thanks all. I'll look at quicken (again). How time flies!
816_Feet

Post by 816_Feet »

I have a question for everyone who does this. What are you using this data for? I record monthly credit card totals, mortgage payments, etc. in a spreadsheet but nothing more granular than that.
czaj

Post by czaj »

816_Feet wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:52 am I have a question for everyone who does this. What are you using this data for? I record monthly credit card totals, mortgage payments, etc. in a spreadsheet but nothing more granular than that.
I have accounts at over 20 sites, so it was nice to not have to login for each statement. Each month, I use the statement file and check that against my spreadsheet ledger (based on manual input). I also like to have the statements as a record in case I ever need to go back.

The statements would download to Google Drive automatically, so I could go there and see which statements were available.

I use Mint for day to day transaction checks (like fraud).
816_Feet

Post by 816_Feet »

czaj wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:05 am
816_Feet wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:52 am I have a question for everyone who does this. What are you using this data for? I record monthly credit card totals, mortgage payments, etc. in a spreadsheet but nothing more granular than that.
I have accounts at over 20 sites, so it was nice to not have to login for each statement. Each month, I use the statement file and check that against my spreadsheet ledger (based on manual input). I also like to have the statements as a record in case I ever need to go back.

The statements would download to Google Drive automatically, so I could go there and see which statements were available.

I use Mint for day to day transaction checks (like fraud).
Thanks. If I'm understanding the process correctly, you're using the aggregator to download all the statements, then manually inputting the debits from your bank account into a spreadsheet, then checking the statements against your spreadsheet? If that's correct, do you ever catch anything or is it more of an exercise in understanding where all the money is going?
czaj

Post by czaj »

816_Feet wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:14 pm Thanks. If I'm understanding the process correctly, you're using the aggregator to download all the statements, then manually inputting the debits from your bank account into a spreadsheet, then checking the statements against your spreadsheet? If that's correct, do you ever catch anything or is it more of an exercise in understanding where all the money is going?
The process is in reverse: I record transactions from receipts, bills, investments, bank transfers. Then, I confirm these transactions against the statements.

My focus is primarily on credit cards and my main checking account; for investments, I usually just check to make sure the current number of shares matches online. I would say it is rare I find something that is not my own data input error. But I find value (and entertainment) in maintaining an accurate database. I also use the statement to check and record credit card rewards earned, which is usually where I find the most errors.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

...and now Finovera is shutting down. This seems to be the last of the free pdf billing aggregators.

I'm going to try getting the pdfs of bills via BillPay through the bank. But those do not download all credit cards or the local utility bills, so I will be manually downloading those...
Johninvestor

Post by Johninvestor »

Is there a paid service or alternative available? Is Finovera completely shutting down, or do they still offer a paid tier?
Rob Relyea

Post by Rob Relyea »

Seems like legislation advocating consumer information rights, would make this kind of thing possible. Short of that, these things that should be easy, are too hard to coordinate/build tools for.

Or perhaps a consumer rights group could come up with guidelines on how organizations should ideally make information easily available to consumers.

I’ve brainstormed tech in this area before…would love to see improvements.