IRS Now Requiring ID.me again?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

IRS Now Requiring ID.me again?

Post by Leesbro63 »

I'm trying to sign onto my IRS account to see if a recent payment has posted. It's now requiring me to sign up for ID.me. I thought there was pushback to that and it went away. Is this back?
spectec

Re: IRS Now Requiring ID.me again?

Post by spectec »

Probably should just do it. ID.me is no big deal after you get through the initial qualification.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

spectec wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:46 am Probably should just do it. ID.me is no big deal after you get through the initial qualification.
I just want to use whatever old link and log-in I've always been using. It seems to have gone away. Did it? I'd like to know what's going on here. Perhaps it's something I am doing wrong today? And since I already have had whatever old-style log-in exists for years, how do I know that starting to do the ID.me thing won't cause some sort of deadly conflict that will require me to have to deal with IRS customer service? It's not that I'm anti-ID.me, it's just that I don't want to break something that, until now, ain't broke.
Angel of Empire

Post by Angel of Empire »

I did the ID.me thing too. Did it a few months ago. Maybe I'm crazy, but I thought it was a good method of identification. I hope it's used in more places.
TdF fan

Post by TdF fan »

Leesbro63 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:49 am
spectec wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:46 am Probably should just do it. ID.me is no big deal after you get through the initial qualification.
I just want to use whatever old link and log-in I've always been using. It seems to have gone away. Did it? I'd like to know what's going on here. Perhaps it's something I am doing wrong today? And since I already have had whatever old-style log-in exists for years, how do I know that starting to do the ID.me thing won't cause some sort of deadly conflict that will require me to have to deal with IRS customer service? It's not that I'm anti-ID.me, it's just that I don't want to break something that, until now, ain't broke.
Yes, the old link and login with an id/password is gone. It is nothing you are doing, it is gone for everyone. ID.me is your only option for now. There has been talk that login.gov will be available in the future.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

TdF fan wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:21 am
Yes, the old link and login with an id/password is gone. It is nothing you are doing, it is gone for everyone. ID.me is your only option for now. There has been talk that login.gov will be available in the future.
What a pain. But thanks for confirming this.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Leesbro63 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:22 am
TdF fan wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:21 am
What a pain. But thanks for confirming this.
I have used Login.gov for a non-profit account that I handle (ePostcard). I can get into the site but there seems to be a glitch in the filing system - not sure if it is related to new ID but I need to call to straighten it out.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
spectec

Post by spectec »

Here are some useful things to remember when setting up ID.me.
This is copied from their site.

=========================================
If your identity verification attempt was unsuccessful, it means that the information you provided did not match the authoritative sources we use for verification.

Unsuccessful verification attempts may be due to many reasons:

You may have recently moved.
You may have answered security questions incorrectly.
Your credit report may be locked or frozen.
Your credit profile may contain erroneous information.
You may have already verified your identity with ID.me.
Your submission may have contained an error or typo.
You may have submitted expired documents.
You may not have correctly taken and submitted a 'selfie'.
You may have submitted an unreadable document.
You may have submitted a phone number that is not associated with your name and address.

We may be able to verify your identity in other ways. For example, if your next verification attempt is unsuccessful, look for the Verify identity on a video call button to complete a video chat with a Trusted Referee and complete your identity verification.
=========================================
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

So which is it, for heavens' sake?

Are we supposed to use ID.me or login.gov?

I don't see how the IRS could possibly have done any worse at communicating...

I find online statements that "After the 2022 tax filing season has concluded, the IRS plans to implement Login.gov as its primary tool for online identity verification," but can't find that from an actual IRS source.
spectec wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:29 am Here are some useful things to remember when setting up ID.me.

....Unsuccessful verification attempts may be due to many reasons:...

What? Is that still required/again required?
Last edited by nisiprius on Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

OK, I did the ID.me thing and got in. But there was all sorts of hoopla about a year ago about people not wanting their facial recognition stuff online etc etc. And the IRS backed off. When and why and what caused the unbacking off?
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Bottom line: so is this the simple reality?

1) Yes, you have to use ID.me?
2) Yes, ID.me still demands a mug shot?
3) No, there is no other option?

I don't like it, but I don't want to cut off my nose to spite my face (thus failing ID.me verification).
Last edited by nisiprius on Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
simas

Post by simas »

Leesbro63 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:45 am I'm trying to sign onto my IRS account to see if a recent payment has posted. It's now requiring me to sign up for ID.me. I thought there was pushback to that and it went away. Is this back?
same experience - no way to login with 'normal' IRS account. I think we are expected to use new/enhanced verification. I am confused on whether that is id.me now or login.gov later (as I do not want to do it more than once)
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

nisiprius wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:47 am Bottom line: so is this the simple reality?

1) Yes, you have to use ID.me?
2) Yes, ID.me still demands a mug shot?
3) No, there is no other option?

I don't like it, but I don't want to cut off my nose to spite my face (thus failing ID.me verification).
Agreed on all points and that’s why I complied. I’d still like to know how we went from public outrage over having to submit your image to fait accompli. ?
JoeNJ28

Post by JoeNJ28 »

Leesbro63 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:45 am OK, I did the ID.me thing and got in. But there was all sorts of hoopla about a year ago about people not wanting their facial recognition stuff online etc etc. And the IRS backed off. When and why and what caused the unbacking off?
See almost any states drivers license at this point. It’s already online.
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

https://www.cnet.com/personal-finance/t ... -to-id-me/

I think this was the confusion. Still need ID.me, but don't have to do facial recognition
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

One point of note is that there was a point during ID.me sign up where it appeared it was checking my credit, which is locked. But it still worked. So now we know that locked credit won’t prevent ID.me registration.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

JoeNJ28 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:55 am
Leesbro63 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:45 am OK, I did the ID.me thing and got in. But there was all sorts of hoopla about a year ago about people not wanting their facial recognition stuff online etc etc. And the IRS backed off. When and why and what caused the unbacking off?
Indeed. If I had to choose between the IRS and Zuck having my photo it wouldn't even be a contest.

State Department and Immigration control has a whole folio on me. In fact, across multiple countries they could produce a pretty good sized year book.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

Leesbro63 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:00 am One point of note is that there was a point during ID.me sign up where it appeared it was checking my credit, which is locked. But it still worked. So now we know that locked credit won’t prevent ID.me registration.
I don’t believe it is checking your credit. The credit bureaus also provide identity verification services which are used for the questions such as “which of these houses have you lived at”.
mapleosb

Post by mapleosb »

Login.gov is what I have used in the past, odd that it was taken away and now may come back again. :o
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

prd1982 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:12 am
Leesbro63 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:00 am One point of note is that there was a point during ID.me sign up where it appeared it was checking my credit, which is locked. But it still worked. So now we know that locked credit won’t prevent ID.me registration.
I don’t believe it is checking your credit. The credit bureaus also provide identity verification services which are used for the questions such as “which of these houses have you lived at”.
yes; I had to go to SS to activate my online accounts with SS and Medicare due to credit bureau freezes.

The IRS doesn't need to check your credit - they are always first in line.
talzara

Post by talzara »

Leesbro63 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:51 am Agreed on all points and that’s why I complied. I’d still like to know how we went from public outrage over having to submit your image to fait accompli. ?
In response to the public outrage, ID.me promised to delete your selfies and offer a video chat option for verification. The IRS also said that it would implement login.gov for the 2022 tax filing season (2023). The legacy logins would be disabled after the tax filing deadline.

In March 2023, the IRS delayed login.gov because of concerns that it would not be able to handle the traffic. In addition, the GSA was opposed to login.gov because it does not meet NIST IAL2 standards, which require a comparison to a piece of evidence that includes a photograph or other biometric data. The IRS didn't turn on login.gov after the tax filing deadline, but it disabled the legacy logins anyway.

Bogleheads noticed in April that the IRS was planning to turn off legacy logins, and we also noticed in May when the legacy logins were disabled without adding login.gov. Here's the thread: viewtopic.php?p=7295923

Although Bogleheads noticed it, the public has already forgotten. Did you see anything in the news? That's why IRS.gov now uses ID.me exclusively, with no login.gov and no legacy logins.
February 22, 2022

The tax agency is modifying its use of the ID.me identity proofing service for the current tax season, but plans to switch to the federal government's homegrown solution after the 2022 filing deadline.

https://fcw.com/digital-government/2022 ... on/362253/
March 27, 2023

The IRS and General Services Administration are delaying the deployment of the government-operated sign-on service Login.gov at the IRS due to concerns about heavy tax season web traffic, FCW has learned.

Login.gov was in the news recently because of an oversight report that criticized GSA for misleading agencies about the service's adherence to National Institute of Standards and Technology standards for digital identity proofing. Currently, Login.gov does not not meet the “identity assurance level two” threshold according to GSA's Office of Inspector General.

https://www.nextgov.com/cxo-briefing/20 ... ed/384484/
5.2.1 Identity Evidence Quality Requirements
- The:
- Issued evidence contains a photograph or biometric template (of any modality) of the person to whom it relates.

https://pages.nist.gov/800-63-3/sp800-63a.html
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

In response to just above, "yup", that explains it. Public outrage sometimes disappears quickly, maybe as soon as there is something new to get outraged about! Thank you for that response.
vaylie

Post by vaylie »

Hmm, I'll be moving sometime early next year. Maybe I should get an ID.me login before that happens in case the address change messes things up. Not sure I can bet on the govt getting login.gov integrated in time for next year's tax filing season.
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

nisiprius wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:38 am So which is it, for heavens' sake?

Are we supposed to use ID.me or login.gov?

I don't see how the IRS could possibly have done any worse at communicating...

I find online statements that "After the 2022 tax filing season has concluded, the IRS plans to implement Login.gov as its primary tool for online identity verification," but can't find that from an actual IRS source.
spectec wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:29 am Here are some useful things to remember when setting up ID.me.

....Unsuccessful verification attempts may be due to many reasons:...

What? Is that still required/again required?
It has been poorly communicated, there are parts of our bureaucracy (IRS and SS being two examples) that I would be willing to pay more taxes to fund properly which is at least part of the problem.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

vaylie wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:46 pm Hmm, I'll be moving sometime early next year. Maybe I should get an ID.me login before that happens in case the address change messes things up. Not sure I can bet on the govt getting login.gov integrated in time for next year's tax filing season.
I would not recommend waiting until the last minute, as people seem to have done with their passport renewals.
vaylie

Post by vaylie »

stan1 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:56 pm
vaylie wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:46 pm Hmm, I'll be moving sometime early next year. Maybe I should get an ID.me login before that happens in case the address change messes things up. Not sure I can bet on the govt getting login.gov integrated in time for next year's tax filing season.
I would not recommend waiting until the last minute, as people seem to have done with their passport renewals.
Well, I've gone ahead and done the ID.me verification, because I didn't want to risk an address change causing any issues. It turns out they didn't ask me any questions at all. Just asked for photos of my driver's license + a video selfie. The selfie was not as intrusive as I thought it would be. At least during the selfie process, the image they captured seemed to be some sort of filtered/highlighted image with lines/edges to check for "liveliness."
AAA

Post by AAA »

I've been avoiding ID.me because it sounded like a temporary solution and didn't want my personal information in more places than necessary. It's disappointing to hear that the legacy login method will no longer work. Meanwhile, for this year's next estimated tax payment I can just mail in a check with a 1040-ES form, or would it be more reliable to set up ID.me and do a bank transfer, as I had been doing with the previous login system?
Asyouwish

Post by Asyouwish »

AAA wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:26 pm I've been avoiding ID.me because it sounded like a temporary solution and didn't want my personal information in more places than necessary. It's disappointing to hear that the legacy login method will no longer work. Meanwhile, for this year's next estimated tax payment I can just mail in a check with a 1040-ES form, or would it be more reliable to set up ID.me and do a bank transfer, as I had been doing with the previous login system?
You can use direct pay. Direct debit from your bank. No account log in necessary. https://www.irs.gov/payments/direct-pay

Select reason….estimated tax payment. Select Form…..1040 and select Year….2023.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

talzara wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:20 pm ...In response to the public outrage, ID.me promised to delete your selfies and offer a video chat option for verification...
And does it offer that video chat option now?
tunafish

Post by tunafish »

I cursed and then started to try to create an account. Surprise it said there was already an account for my email address. For awhile I thought I had lucked out and they had made the existing accounts id.me accounts. No luck. I plowed ahead and got to the upload scans of the front and back of my drivers license but it never liked any of them. I have no smart phone so there is no way to contact them for help.

Does anyone know if local IRS offices will finish setting up this account if i make an appointment and show up with my drivers license? I know that local offices do not answer questions over the phone they just make appointments.
vaylie

Post by vaylie »

nisiprius wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:53 pm
talzara wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:20 pm ...In response to the public outrage, ID.me promised to delete your selfies and offer a video chat option for verification...
And does it offer that video chat option now?
It does. I signed up today and I was offered the choice between uploading driver's license + doing the video selfie, or doing a video chat with a representative.
Diluted Waters

Post by Diluted Waters »

One can also used the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS) to make estimated and other tax payments, and it doesn't use or require ID.me.

I'm waiting for ID.me to be hacked and the authenticated credentials stolen and then used to phish, hack or otherwise steal the identities, even to use to break into IRS accounts. I think it's a matter of time. Wait for it...

And, because it's a private company, they may or may not be required to inform us. They may only be required to inform the IRS, if their contract calls for it. Someone should FOIA the contract. That would be interesting.

Login.gov might be better, but unlikely.

The Commerce Department converted the federal security clearance process to an online process, and then did such a sorry job protecting the nearly complete personal backgrounds on every security clearance holder in their system that someone hacked the system and stole all that extremely personal information.

The Department offered credit monitoring as compensation. Super. Thanks.

At least, though, the Commerce department head (who was a political appointee and had few other job qualifications to head the huge department other than helping the president get elected), was held accountable and was forced out of the job.

In government, this borders on miracle territory. If they were a civil servant, they'd be employed for life and just transferred.

If ID.me got hacked and your personal identification information that is supposedly sufficiently well vetted to allow access to your IRS records was stolen, how would anyone going forward develop sufficient personal identification information to use for authentication when everything ID.me used was now in doubt? Would anyone at that firm be held accountable?

Wait for it...
MP123

Post by MP123 »

Diluted Waters wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:38 pm I'm waiting for ID.me to be hacked and the authenticated credentials stolen and then used to phish, hack or otherwise steal the identities, even to use to break into IRS accounts. I think it's a matter of time. Wait for it...
Id.me alleges that they purge authentication information used for irs.gov logins within 24 hours. If so then your selfie and biometric information isn't there to be hacked for very long.
Diluted Waters

Post by Diluted Waters »

There are plenty of instances of threat actors penetrating systems for months and years+ exfiltrating information undetected via deeply embedded Trojan horse code. A simple search will provide hours of reading on the subject.

The supply chain attacks for software products and code dependencies are clever and effective. See Solyndra hack, for example.

Under such conditions twenty-four hours is plenty of time for such actors to obtain IRS login credentials and information used to derive those credentials and mount an attack against the target account or use it as basis to attack other systems such as linked bank or brokerage accounts.

It’s fine to believe in air-tight security assurances. They are not supported by the public record nor practical cyber security realities.
Wricha

Post by Wricha »

I just finished ID.ME for IRS it was a ridiculous process. Had to upload many documents selfie and video call. Seems like if your information is not uploading (or the corners of documents are not shown) they ask for more and more documents. I had to provide bank statements with complete SS number, military discharge papers, utility bills in was insane, 2 hours. Just to see if they sent my refund check. Finding documents with complete SS number is not easy as most documents just show last 4 numbers.
scienceguy

Post by scienceguy »

If you don't want to use ID.me (or cannot), you can use the much easier IRS direct pay website to make payments and see recent payments. Logging in to that is simple with no issues - it just has much less functionality/private info and therefore requires much less ID verification.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

So here is a related question: Can more than one account be linked to the same cell phone number? For instance, I handle tax payment for my adult child who lives in another state. I'd like to see their account online. Once we get their ID.me log-in set up, can I have the text verification set to the same cell phone number (mine) that I use for my own account?
Candor

Post by Candor »

I signed up with ID.me earlier this week and no photo/video or copy of license was required. I'm a veteran and there were a couple of questions regarding that so maybe since the gov't already has some additional info on me they weren't as stringent in the sign up process?
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Candor wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:21 am I signed up with ID.me earlier this week and no photo/video or copy of license was required. I'm a veteran and there were a couple of questions regarding that so maybe since the gov't already has some additional info on me they weren't as stringent in the sign up process?
Did they ask you if you served for the Union or the Confederacy? :beer
AnEngineer

Post by AnEngineer »

JoeNJ28 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:55 am
The "almost" in that sentence should not be ignored.
Candor

Post by Candor »

Leesbro63 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:24 am
Candor wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:21 am I signed up with ID.me earlier this week and no photo/video or copy of license was required. I'm a veteran and there were a couple of questions regarding that so maybe since the gov't already has some additional info on me they weren't as stringent in the sign up process?
Did they ask you if you served for the Union or the Confederacy? :beer
No, but I'm thinking maybe all that FBI surveillance is finally paying off. They already had everything they needed on file. 8-)
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
AAA

Post by AAA »

Asyouwish wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:07 pm You can use direct pay. Direct debit from your bank. No account log in necessary. https://www.irs.gov/payments/direct-pay
Good to know. I'll hold off doing ID.me unless/until I have to. Given Direct Pay for est'd taxes, and barring any unusual circumstances, the only reason then for me to have an IRS account is to get my ID PIN at the beginning of the year. Or would they mail it out to me at some point if I don't go online to get it?
tunafish

Post by tunafish »

AAA wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:33 am
Asyouwish wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:07 pm You can use direct pay. Direct debit from your bank. No account log in necessary. https://www.irs.gov/payments/direct-pay
Good to know. I'll hold off doing ID.me unless/until I have to. Given Direct Pay for est'd taxes, and barring any unusual circumstances, the only reason then for me to have an IRS account is to get my ID PIN at the beginning of the year. Or would they mail it out to me at some point if I don't go online to get it?
I used it because if a transcript existed for my return, I knew they received the return. This is no longer possible to find out and screengrab thanks to this stupid new policy.
hachiko

Post by hachiko »

Diluted Waters wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:38 pm And, because it's a private company, they may or may not be required to inform us. They may only be required to inform the IRS, if their contract calls for it.
House Oversight conducted an investigation last year and found numerous examples of ID.me blatantly lying to government agencies, in an attempt to obtain additional contracts. Even if their contract calls for it, I wouldn't count on them to actually inform the IRS or the public.

And the IRS implemented ID.me on a different system in 2021 without confirming that ID.me was meeting all security requirements. And as the kicker, the IRS blamed it on a single untrained employee (not the systemic failure that it was).

Unfortunately, I have to use ID.me for work, so it is what it is for me.
Made money. Lost money. Learned to stop counting.
Asyouwish

Post by Asyouwish »

AAA wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:33 am

I’m not familiar with the ID pin process. I don’t have one. I believe if you applied online you retrieve online? The IRS does mail them once a year but I’m not sure if everyone gets a paper notice or not.

This is from the IRS website.
https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-frau ... ection-pin
If you are a confirmed victim of tax-related identity theft and we have resolved your tax account issues, we’ll mail you a CP01A Notice with your new IP PIN each year.
https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-frau ... our-ip-pin

I believe you need to have an account to log in to retrieve your annual PIN.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Did you have a prior ID.me account? I think ID.me was originally created to verify veteran status for certain third party benefits, so maybe they had your info from a database through that.
hachiko

Post by hachiko »

anon_investor wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:59 am
Did you have a prior ID.me account? I think ID.me was originally created to verify veteran status for certain third party benefits, so maybe they had your info from a database through that.
There are many state and federal government agencies that did and do use ID.me (I think the "did" number is higher than the "do" number).
Made money. Lost money. Learned to stop counting.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

I'm the original poster. Ultimately, the government already knows who we are and where we are and what we do etc. Or can easily find out. I don't like this lack of privacy any more than anyone else. But I accept it. My objection to ID.me was having to jump through new hoops. But I did it.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

hachiko wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:01 am
There are many state and federal government agencies that did and do use ID.me (I think the "did" number is higher than the "do" number).
My spouse has to create an ID.me account to receive an IRS PIN for next tax season. I have an ID.me account set up for IRS access and it was a pain when I did it last year, I had to do a video chat with a rep to verify my identity. After my ID.me account experience, my spouse was hoping that Login.gov would be ready, since my spouse already has that set up, looks like that still is not an option.
Candor

Post by Candor »

No, I actually had been putting it off because it sounded like a bit of a pain so I was a little surprised how easy it was. I noticed another veteran posted above that they had to jump through some hoops so it doesn't sound like that alone was the reason mine was so smooth.