Review of book "Die with Zero"

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
GreenLawn

Re: Review of book "Die with Zero"

Post by GreenLawn »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:14 pm Tbh, the title alone is off-putting.
Yes, the worst title for a book I've ever come across. My take is he prioritizes experiences over material items to achieve the feeling of a life well lived on one's death bed. I agree with him. I didn't particularly enjoy reading the book as I didn't like his writing style, but a recommended read for what I found to be a unique perspective on what's important in life.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

White Coat Investor wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:18 pm
rockstar wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:27 pm
White Coat Investor wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:07 pm
JD2775 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:07 am I think this book would be dangerous in the wrong hands. For example a relative of mine has no concept of saving, their family lives large with no safety net and not much saved for the future. I haven't read it but my assumption is reading a book like this would only enable their habits.
It's perhaps the hardest part of writing about personal finance. The wrong people get the wrong message.

You tell the spenders to save more. The spenders don't read it and the savers become neurotic.
You tell the savers to spend more. The spenders find even less incentive to save and end up broke and the savers argue you're wrong ("no, terrible things can happen so I'm sticking with my 2.5% SWR")

In my writing I'm TRYING to reach the spenders, but actually reaching the savers. So getting the messaging right is surprisingly hard.
I’d argue the spenders aren’t seeking you out, so how are they going to stumble upon you?

Have you met a lot of savers? Most people I meet live paycheck to paycheck regardless of income level with the plan to collect social security and spend whatever they happen to have in their 401K assuming they haven’t already cashed out or took a loan against it. If I ask them about the 4% rule, they have no idea what I’m talking about.
They stumble upon me at rare moments when they realize things aren't going well or when they fear they are not doing what they're supposed to be doing like buying disability insurance or refinancing student loans or whatever. Or they hear that what they've been doing is stupid (whole life, financial advisor) and start doing some research.

Yes, I've met lots of savers. They might be a minority of Americans, but as this forum demonstrates, there are still a lot of them.
This is exactly how I stumbled on you. I was introduced to a whole life policy by my accountant who wanted to sell it to. He wanted me to put $50k/yr into this policy. I figured, if I was going to be buying something this expenses I needed to understand it, and, understand it well enough to explain it to my spouse so that she understands. I started doing research, and stumbled on one of your posts. I even sent you an email to which you responded to. Thank you. Needless to say, I did not purchase the policy, ended up firing my accountant, read a bunch of your forum posts which also lead me here to bogleheads. The rest is history.

Thank you again.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

JD2775 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:07 am I think this book would be dangerous in the wrong hands. For example a relative of mine has no concept of saving, their family lives large with no safety net and not much saved for the future. I haven't read it but my assumption is reading a book like this would only enable their habits.
It's perhaps the hardest part of writing about personal finance. The wrong people get the wrong message.

You tell the spenders to save more. The spenders don't read it and the savers become neurotic.
You tell the savers to spend more. The spenders find even less incentive to save and end up broke and the savers argue you're wrong ("no, terrible things can happen so I'm sticking with my 2.5% SWR")

In my writing I'm TRYING to reach the spenders, but actually reaching the savers. So getting the messaging right is surprisingly hard.
I’d argue the spenders aren’t seeking you out, so how are they going to stumble upon you?

Have you met a lot of savers? Most people I meet live paycheck to paycheck regardless of income level with the plan to collect social security and spend whatever they happen to have in their 401K assuming they haven’t already cashed out or took a loan against it. If I ask them about the 4% rule, they have no idea what I’m talking about.
If you think about it, if one is able to have a paid off mortgage and no other debt, SS can really be enough for a family that had 1 high earner. We have a post here from a forum member detailing how they are making $50k/yr from SS. Their spouse would likely have about $20k. $70k/yr with no debt is pretty darn good if you ask me.

My parents who are debt free, together get about $65k/yr which covers all their needs and most of their wants. They use their portfolio for some other luxuries. Despite me pushing them to spend more, they don't and their portfolio just keeps growing.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

EnjoyIt wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:24 am

If you think about it, if one is able to have a paid off mortgage and no other debt, SS can really be enough for a family that had 1 high earner. We have a post here from a forum member detailing how they are making $50k/yr from SS. Their spouse would likely have about $20k. $70k/yr with no debt is pretty darn good if you ask me.

My parents who are debt free, together get about $65k/yr which covers all their needs and most of their wants. They use their portfolio for some other luxuries. Despite me pushing them to spend more, they don't and their portfolio just keeps growing.
I should be good with social security if I wait to least 67. Seventy would be ideal based on health. My estimated expenses now are $70k with a house. $50k without a mortgage. So yes, I can pretty much live off of social security with a house paid off.

The trick here is to make high income but learn to live the lifestyle of expected social security. Then, this all works. And the portfolio is either for early retirement, medical, or better vacations during retirement.
Afty

Post by Afty »

White Coat Investor wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:44 pm My favorite idea from it was the idea that there are seasons in your life and if you miss out on the activities specific to the season that you can never go back and get them. Maybe that was a different book, but I think it was this one.
Can you elaborate on this? This sounds really interesting, and I don't want to read the whole book :D
simplextableau

Post by simplextableau »

Afty wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:55 am
White Coat Investor wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:44 pm My favorite idea from it was the idea that there are seasons in your life and if you miss out on the activities specific to the season that you can never go back and get them. Maybe that was a different book, but I think it was this one.
Can you elaborate on this? This sounds really interesting, and I don't want to read the whole book :D
I think the gist is when your college friends invite you at age 25 for that week long skiing trip, you should go even if you can't really afford it because you're likely to earn the money later in your career anyway (so you can afford it when considering your lifetime earnings) and you won't be able to put that trip together when you're 40 or 50 or 60, and even if you could, it wouldn't be the same, it wouldn't be a fun lifelong memory, etc. If you skip that trip, it's over -- there is no opportunity twenty years later to then do it.
Last edited by simplextableau on Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

The author uses children as the main example for this concept, like after a certain age your kids will not want you to read to them or carry them around. They grow out of it and the chance to do that again later in life is likely zero.

Other examples include backpacking across Europe while staying in hostels or mountain climbing. Even if you could physically pull it off, you likely won’t want to do it when you’re older.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

simplesimon wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:10 am
The author uses children as the main example for this concept, like after a certain age your kids will not want you to read to them or carry them around. They grow out of it and the chance to do that again later in life is likely zero.

Other examples include backpacking across Europe while staying in hostels or mountain climbing. Even if you could physically pull it off, you likely won’t want to do it when you’re older.
Exactly. I don't think he's necessarily advocating for classic consumption smoothing where you borrow tons of money in your 20s and 30s and pay it off later.

When I read it, besides kids/relationship stuff, I think about things I love doing now like rafting, climbing etc. that I suspect I will not be able to do in my 70s and 80s and not to nearly the same extent in my 60s. I am deliberately putting things off into my 60s and 70s that I know I can do in those decades. When my wife proposes a trip, I stop and think, so we need to do that now or can we do it in 20 years? You only get 18 summers with your kids.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

This is a good reminder to live your life, rather than putting it on hold until retirement.

https://youtu.be/vHpCIrk2AnU
Minderbinder

Post by Minderbinder »

Trying to get through it now but stylistically I just don't enjoy it. It's basically crammed full of anecdotes in a long, rambling style.

Feels like an interesting blog post or two that was stretched into a book.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

rockstar wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:29 am This is a good reminder to live your life, rather than putting it on hold until retirement.

+1.

I learned this lesson, unfortunately from my parents. They were frugal, always putting extra money into paying off the house and not doing any traveling, as they had planned to take all of these desired trips after paying off the house and eventual retirement. My mom was unexpectedly paralyzed in her late 40s - and my Dad had to take early retirement at age 50 and stay home to take care of her. So many times my mom in particular would talk about the regret in not doing those trips before she became paralyzed. They did a few road trips early on, but never made those big destinations they dreamed of. Traveling was very hard on her.

That really motivated me to attack my travel bucket list early on as soon as my daughter was old enough to enjoy the traveling. I was not waiting on retirement for anything.
RetireWhen

Post by RetireWhen »

I just read this entire thread and wow, did I learn some things. No not really.

- Most Bogleheads are extremely conservative - nothing new to me there
- Everyone has different ideas of what life should be - again nothing new
- Everyone thinks their ideas of what life should be is the right view - well once again nothing new
- Everyone is willing to tell the others how right they are - this is new to me, nope, not at all. same as any forum
- Everyone is ready to point out how wrong the other person is - as old as the internet
- No one asks questions of people with different views to learn, just to help make their point of how right they are - back to day one of the internet

What I wish people would learn is that no one has all the answers, and if they do they only work for certain people and their situations. People should understand that they need to live the life they feel comfortable with, as long as it doesn't impact the ability of others to life their lives.

- So if saving and dying with a huge nest egg is your thing, go to it, just don't tell me that my living in the day and dying with a smaller nest egg is wrong.

- If you are happy kicking around your town vs traveling the world, great that's cool but don't tell me my lust to travel the world and to use my savings is poor planning.

- If you want to save your money and then pass it on to your kids or whoever after you die, its your money. But don't tell how bad it is if I share my wealth now with my loved ones and friends.

- And this constant "if you want to live off of $600k, good luck to you attitude" is a bit insulting I find. There are a lot of people in this terrific country that retire on a lot less and live happy lives in retirement. For me I need a bit more and have accumulated bit more, and I plan on spending it just like I'm spending now before I retire, because one thing I know for certain, is none of us know when we will die. That's why I like having two well funded accounts - one financial and one of memories. I like to balance them both - but that's me and not you. Do you.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

RetireWhen wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:22 pm I just read this entire thread and wow, did I learn some things. No not really.

- Everyone thinks their ideas of what life should be is the right view - well once again nothing new
- Everyone is willing to tell the others how right they are - this is new to me, nope, not at all. same as any forum
- Everyone is ready to point out how wrong the other person is - as old as the internet
- No one asks questions of people with different views to learn, just to help make their point of how right they are - back to day one of the internet

What I wish people would learn is that no one has all the answers, and if they do they only work for certain people and their situations. People should understand that they need to live the life they feel comfortable with, as long as it doesn't impact the ability of others to life their lives.

- So if saving and dying with a huge nest egg is your thing, go to it, just don't tell me that my living in the day and dying with a smaller nest egg is wrong.

- If you are happy kicking around your town vs traveling the world, great that's cool but don't tell me my lust to travel the world and to use my savings is poor planning.

- If you want to save your money and then pass it on to your kids or whoever after you die, its your money. But don't tell how bad it is if I share my wealth now with my loved ones and friends.

- And this constant "if you want to live off of $600k, good luck to you attitude" is a bit insulting I find. There are a lot of people in this terrific country that retire on a lot less and live happy lives in retirement. For me I need a bit more and have accumulated bit more, and I plan on spending it just like I'm spending now before I retire, because one thing I know for certain, is none of us know when we will die. That's why I like having two well funded accounts - one financial and one of memories. I like to balance them both - but that's me and not you. Do you.
I love this post.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

EnjoyIt wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:39 pm
RetireWhen wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:22 pm I just read this entire thread and wow, did I learn some things. No not really.

I love this post.
+1. And RetireWhen, welcome to he human race: we all have the right answer, and the only right answer is ours. Although I tend to be an outlier on this board in my mindset about money, our spending, etc. I'm just as guilty as anybody here thinking that my way is the only way.
Target2019

Post by Target2019 »

When you went with this:

"What I wish people would learn is that no one has all the answers, and if they do they only work for certain people and their situations."

It made me smile!
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

I love this post.
+3
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Barkingsparrow wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:10 am
rockstar wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:29 am This is a good reminder to live your life, rather than putting it on hold until retirement.

+1.

I learned this lesson, unfortunately from my parents. They were frugal, always putting extra money into paying off the house and not doing any traveling, as they had planned to take all of these desired trips after paying off the house and eventual retirement. My mom was unexpectedly paralyzed in her late 40s - and my Dad had to take early retirement at age 50 and stay home to take care of her. So many times my mom in particular would talk about the regret in not doing those trips before she became paralyzed. They did a few road trips early on, but never made those big destinations they dreamed of. Traveling was very hard on her.

That really motivated me to attack my travel bucket list early on as soon as my daughter was old enough to enjoy the traveling. I was not waiting on retirement for anything.
I run into a lot of retired people when I travel. I don’t see a lot of people my own age. You only get one body.
RetireWhen

Post by RetireWhen »

Target2019 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:07 pm

When you went with this:

"What I wish people would learn is that no one has all the answers, and if they do they only work for certain people and their situations."

It made me smile!
I'm glad I made you smile. That made me smile. Life is good.
986racer

Post by 986racer »

I’m through most of the book and I find it very thought provoking. Obviously the title is the equivalent of click-bait, but I think the book is definitely worth reading for the average BH.
upekkha

Post by upekkha »

I agree with many of my fellow BHs, the title is click baitesque. That said, I especially connected with the idea that there are seasons in your life and that if you miss out on activities specific to a particular season, you can never go back and experience them. I also liked his point of not having a bucket list, but instead having a series of time buckets. I recommend this book.
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan." - Carl Von Clausewitz
upekkha

Post by upekkha »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:40 pm

I love this post.
+3
+4
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan." - Carl Von Clausewitz
2BRetiredsn

Post by 2BRetiredsn »

Tib wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:20 am Below are the first two reviews of the book that appeared on Amazon, and I believe they are still the ones most often marked "helpful." (The second is mine.)

"Money that you will die without ever spending is still of value to you. There’s pleasure in having money as well as from spending it: the feelings of security, well-being, confidence, and freedom." 129 people found this helpful
I love this quote. My partner just feels secure with money in the bank. Nothing will change that. Going on an expensive trip would only make him anxious. I'm frugal myself but not on the scale of my partner. My most enjoyable days are spent camping - and, sometimes, when there's a success in my work life. I did travel overseas once and had a great time - but I'm not sure I will plan a trip like that again.
2BRetiredsn

Post by 2BRetiredsn »

upekkha wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:47 am
Doom&Gloom wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:40 pm

I love this post.
+3
+4
+5
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

Godot wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:45 pm Why would anyone take the advice of such an awful poker player?
I dream of being this awful at poker.
https://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player ... r&n=224478
AA: 30/55/15 - equities/positive return-zero volatility/bonds
Godot

Post by Godot »

beernutz wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:04 pm
Godot wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:45 pm Why would anyone take the advice of such an awful poker player?
HendonMob tracks neither tournament buyins nor the millions this guy has lost in cash games. It's like a stock picker telling you that he's made five million on TESLA the last ten years while neglecting to tell you the ten million he's lost on assorted other stocks.
"You're on earth. There's no cure for that." | ― Samuel Beckett
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Squirreling everything away is not my style. I've been fortunate to earn at a level that outpaced my spending, mostly. And I avoided most of the big, wealth destroying mistakes.

Many people work until late in life when they have poor mobility, poor eyesight, or even serious medical issues brought on by aging. Ugh. That's a time to take it easy, and you can do that cheaply. My operating model is to buy the ticket, take the ride. If I end up broke, I'll just let y'all foot the bill for my daily bowl of gruel.
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

Godot wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:36 pm
HendonMob tracks neither tournament buyins nor the millions this guy has lost in cash games. It's like a stock picker telling you that he's made five million on TESLA the last ten years while neglecting to tell you the ten million he's lost on assorted other stocks.
Lol but you have tracked his tournament buy ind and cash game losses?
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

Lol but you have tracked his tournament buy ins and cash game losses?
Godot

Post by Godot »

beernutz wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:30 am
Lol but you have tracked his tournament buy ins and cash game losses?
Inside track!
"You're on earth. There's no cure for that." | ― Samuel Beckett
Johnny_Excitement

Post by Johnny_Excitement »

Great conversation here. I was inspired enough to buy this book last night from Amazon. It’s currently being sold at a discounted price of $14.