Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Post Reply
Topic Author
Leesbro63
Posts: 9101
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:36 pm

Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by Leesbro63 »

Last month I bought Turbotax deluxe like I do every December. As I start to populate the forms now, I went for the free one-state download. Nope! $40! Was I a poor shopper or did Turbotax pull one over on me?
ShadowRegent
Posts: 205
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by ShadowRegent »

There are two versions of Deluxe which is a bit confusing. One includes a state and one is federal only. Double check which you bought-- are you sure it was the one that included one state?
Topic Author
Leesbro63
Posts: 9101
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:36 pm

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by Leesbro63 »

ShadowRegent wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:43 am There are two versions of Deluxe which is a bit confusing. One includes a state and one is federal only. Double check which you bought-- are you sure it was the one that included one state?
That explains it. I’m sure I didn’t know that and bought the wrong one. I’ve been using TT for decades and have never not gotten one state by default. I assume the Deluxe with one state is more, so my extra $40 might actually be less. I’ll shop better next year.
dukeblue219
Posts: 2904
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:40 am

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by dukeblue219 »

Leesbro63 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:46 am
ShadowRegent wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:43 am There are two versions of Deluxe which is a bit confusing. One includes a state and one is federal only. Double check which you bought-- are you sure it was the one that included one state?
That explains it. I’m sure I didn’t know that and bought the wrong one. I’ve been using TT for decades and have never not gotten one state by default. I assume the Deluxe with one state is more, so my extra $40 might actually be less. I’ll shop better next year.
$40 is a real stinker if it doesn't include state e-file (does it?). The Amazon and Costco deals for Deluxe + 1 State are usually around $40 in December.
Topic Author
Leesbro63
Posts: 9101
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:36 pm

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by Leesbro63 »

dukeblue219 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:20 am
Leesbro63 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:46 am
ShadowRegent wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:43 am There are two versions of Deluxe which is a bit confusing. One includes a state and one is federal only. Double check which you bought-- are you sure it was the one that included one state?
That explains it. I’m sure I didn’t know that and bought the wrong one. I’ve been using TT for decades and have never not gotten one state by default. I assume the Deluxe with one state is more, so my extra $40 might actually be less. I’ll shop better next year.
$40 is a real stinker if it doesn't include state e-file (does it?). The Amazon and Costco deals for Deluxe + 1 State are usually around $40 in December.
Yup. Ya live 'n learn.
User avatar
KSOC
Posts: 639
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:53 pm
Location: Central Pennsylvania

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by KSOC »

I have a question for Turbo-Tax users. What makes it worth $40? Serious question because I'm currently using FreeTaxUSA, previously used TaxAct, and previously another free or small e-file charge program. What am I missing? Is it just the continuity/comfort of using the same program for decades? Our taxes have never been too complex. Is that it?
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
User avatar
anon_investor
Posts: 13530
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:43 pm

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by anon_investor »

KSOC wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:32 am I have a question for Turbo-Tax users. What makes it worth $40? Serious question because I'm currently using FreeTaxUSA, previously used TaxAct, and previously another free or small e-file charge program. What am I missing? Is it just the continuity/comfort of using the same program for decades? Our taxes have never been too complex. Is that it?
Probably continuity/comfort, never had an issue using TT for many years. When purchased during the annual Amazon sale, deluxe fed+state only costs ~$35.
Gryphon
Posts: 472
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 11:43 am
Location: Missouri

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by Gryphon »

KSOC wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:32 am I have a question for Turbo-Tax users. What makes it worth $40? Serious question because I'm currently using FreeTaxUSA, previously used TaxAct, and previously another free or small e-file charge program. What am I missing? Is it just the continuity/comfort of using the same program for decades? Our taxes have never been too complex. Is that it?
First, I'm dubious of "free" - if you're not the customer you're often the product. I know that isn't *always* true but it tends to be the case more often than not, and it isn't always obvious how you're being turned into the product. I'd rather stick with a business model I understand.

Second, I tried a couple of the competing programs a couple decades ago (Tax Act & Tax Cut) and felt like they were less polished. They got the job done but TurboTax just seemed easier to use. They might be better now, I just decided to stick with TurboTax until Intuit gives me a good reason not to.

Third, I rely on tax software to know how to correctly handle whatever my situation is each year. My taxes aren't terribly complex either, but when I was doing a 72t plan TurboTax knew to include a 5329 in my tax return every year. Or an 8889 in the years I was making HSA contributions. And the interview process can remind me of things that I might otherwise have forgotten to include. I just feel like the end result is better than it would be if I was doing it all on my own.
pshonore
Posts: 7925
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:21 pm

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by pshonore »

A lot of states have the ability to do your state taxes online at the state website. As an example, CT starts with Federal AGI, there are a few possible additions (foreign state muni bond interest, etc) some subtractions (529 plan, SS tax adjustment, property tax credit, etc) and no efiling fee. YMMV.
iljets10
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:56 pm

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by iljets10 »

KSOC wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:32 am I have a question for Turbo-Tax users. What makes it worth $40? Serious question because I'm currently using FreeTaxUSA, previously used TaxAct, and previously another free or small e-file charge program. What am I missing? Is it just the continuity/comfort of using the same program for decades? Our taxes have never been too complex. Is that it?
I used TaxAct once about 5 years ago. It put all of my earned income in both states I was filling, even though I said I was a resident of only 1 state and my W-2 had my employers’ address. TaxAct was convinced that nothing was wrong and I had to manually fix the error. After that I vowed to never again use such faulty software. I’ve never had such a worry with TurboTax.
User avatar
Kenkat
Posts: 8750
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:18 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by Kenkat »

pshonore wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:27 am A lot of states have the ability to do your state taxes online at the state website. As an example, CT starts with Federal AGI, there are a few possible additions (foreign state muni bond interest, etc) some subtractions (529 plan, SS tax adjustment, property tax credit, etc) and no efiling fee. YMMV.
Same for Ohio.
Mike Scott
Posts: 3026
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by Mike Scott »

Familiarity and I can use all five federal filings for one cost.
TravelGeek
Posts: 4814
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by TravelGeek »

Leesbro63 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:46 am
Yup. Ya live 'n learn.
If you have a Chase credit card, check if you have a Chase Offer for TurboTax. It might give you $10 off for the in-app purchase.
User avatar
telemark
Posts: 3243
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:35 am

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by telemark »

I haven't used Turbotax in years, but I believe it can pull dividend and capital gains distributions directly from Vanguard, whereas with FreeTaxUSA I have to enter all that manually.
stan1
Posts: 11832
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:35 pm

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by stan1 »

Leesbro63 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:31 am Last month I bought Turbotax deluxe like I do every December. As I start to populate the forms now, I went for the free one-state download. Nope! $40! Was I a poor shopper or did Turbotax pull one over on me?
Some people live in states with no state income tax, so TT offers a version for them that does not have state tax forms. Sounds like you bought that version rather than the one that you needed because you live in a state that requires filing income tax.
rivercrosser
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:48 pm

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by rivercrosser »

TravelGeek wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:47 am
Leesbro63 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:46 am
Yup. Ya live 'n learn.
If you have a Chase credit card, check if you have a Chase Offer for TurboTax. It might give you $10 off for the in-app purchase.
I noticed that on my Chase offers. I'm hoping when I file my sons and our state returns it will give me a discount on the e-file fee. I already have the software bought from Amazon back in December.
aristotelian
Posts: 10920
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:05 pm

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by aristotelian »

KSOC wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:32 am I have a question for Turbo-Tax users. What makes it worth $40? Serious question because I'm currently using FreeTaxUSA, previously used TaxAct, and previously another free or small e-file charge program. What am I missing? Is it just the continuity/comfort of using the same program for decades? Our taxes have never been too complex. Is that it?
TT Deluxe Download is worth it to me for:
-Auto import of investment income from most brokers;
-Ability to do multiple tax returns without having to set up separate accounts;
-Preference for not having to store personal data in the cloud;
-FTUSA charges for state so it's still not free.

That said if I were doing only my own return I would do FTUSA and use my state website to free e-file.
Topic Author
Leesbro63
Posts: 9101
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:36 pm

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by Leesbro63 »

anon_investor wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:55 am
KSOC wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:32 am I have a question for Turbo-Tax users. What makes it worth $40? Serious question because I'm currently using FreeTaxUSA, previously used TaxAct, and previously another free or small e-file charge program. What am I missing? Is it just the continuity/comfort of using the same program for decades? Our taxes have never been too complex. Is that it?
Probably continuity/comfort, never had an issue using TT for many years. When purchased during the annual Amazon sale, deluxe fed+state only costs ~$35.
+1 for continuity, year to year import and no new learning curve.
Topic Author
Leesbro63
Posts: 9101
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:36 pm

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by Leesbro63 »

stan1 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:50 am
Leesbro63 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:31 am Last month I bought Turbotax deluxe like I do every December. As I start to populate the forms now, I went for the free one-state download. Nope! $40! Was I a poor shopper or did Turbotax pull one over on me?
Some people live in states with no state income tax, so TT offers a version for them that does not have state tax forms. Sounds like you bought that version rather than the one that you needed because you live in a state that requires filing income tax.
Yup! That’s what I did! They should be more upfront about “No State Version Included”, tho
User avatar
KSOC
Posts: 639
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:53 pm
Location: Central Pennsylvania

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by KSOC »

KSOC wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:32 am I have a question for Turbo-Tax users. What makes it worth $40? Serious question because I'm currently using FreeTaxUSA, previously used TaxAct, and previously another free or small e-file charge program. What am I missing? Is it just the continuity/comfort of using the same program for decades? Our taxes have never been too complex. Is that it?
Thanks all for the feedback. Good points were made and might give it another look.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
nalor511
Posts: 3602
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:00 am

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by nalor511 »

You can get HRB deluxe+state for less than that $40
User avatar
neurosphere
Posts: 4874
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:55 pm

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by neurosphere »

iljets10 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:33 am
KSOC wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:32 am I have a question for Turbo-Tax users. What makes it worth $40? Serious question because I'm currently using FreeTaxUSA, previously used TaxAct, and previously another free or small e-file charge program. What am I missing? Is it just the continuity/comfort of using the same program for decades? Our taxes have never been too complex. Is that it?
I used TaxAct once about 5 years ago. It put all of my earned income in both states I was filling, even though I said I was a resident of only 1 state and my W-2 had my employers’ address. TaxAct was convinced that nothing was wrong and I had to manually fix the error. After that I vowed to never again use such faulty software. I’ve never had such a worry with TurboTax.
This is a tangent from the main question in this thread, but the employer address is irrelevant/ignored by tax software as it has no bearing on your taxes. If you correctly indicated you were a resident of state 1, and non-resident of state 2, then the next step is to tell taxact which amount of the total income is attributable to the non-resident state, if any. I would never rely on software to get this "right" without your input or verification. In fact, it's often the case that w2s are incorrect (lines 15 through 17) if you have not notified your employer of your correct tax situation/residency/etc.
If you have to ask "Is a Target Date fund right for me?", the answer is "Yes" (even in taxable accounts).
Good Listener
Posts: 893
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:24 pm

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by Good Listener »

Here's how I figure it. If TurboTax didn't exist were no online service existed, how much would be the amount you would pay to get access to it. For me if you can get it all for $100 or $200 that is a steal. Take this from somebody who is laid up now with a bad back and praying to God he gets better. I have all five tax forms for next year and will pay whatever turbo tax wants.
talzara
Posts: 3178
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:40 pm

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by talzara »

Leesbro63 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:46 am That explains it. I’m sure I didn’t know that and bought the wrong one. I’ve been using TT for decades and have never not gotten one state by default. I assume the Deluxe with one state is more, so my extra $40 might actually be less. I’ll shop better next year.
You paid more. TurboTax Deluxe Federal & State only costs $8 more than TurboTax Deluxe Federal.
User avatar
Vulcan
Posts: 2426
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:43 pm

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by Vulcan »

KSOC wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:32 am I have a question for Turbo-Tax users. What makes it worth $40? Serious question because I'm currently using FreeTaxUSA, previously used TaxAct, and previously another free or small e-file charge program. What am I missing?
An option to receive refund as I Bonds.
If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything. ~Ronald Coase
nalor511
Posts: 3602
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:00 am

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by nalor511 »

Vulcan wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:40 pm
KSOC wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:32 am I have a question for Turbo-Tax users. What makes it worth $40? Serious question because I'm currently using FreeTaxUSA, previously used TaxAct, and previously another free or small e-file charge program. What am I missing?
An option to receive refund as I Bonds.
OLT does that for less than TT and also less than FTUSA
Topic Author
Leesbro63
Posts: 9101
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:36 pm

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by Leesbro63 »

talzara wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:34 pm
Leesbro63 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:46 am That explains it. I’m sure I didn’t know that and bought the wrong one. I’ve been using TT for decades and have never not gotten one state by default. I assume the Deluxe with one state is more, so my extra $40 might actually be less. I’ll shop better next year.
You paid more. TurboTax Deluxe Federal & State only costs $8 more than TurboTax Deluxe Federal.
Not very Bogleheadish of me 😢
SlowMovingInvestor
Posts: 3322
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:27 am

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

KSOC wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:32 am I have a question for Turbo-Tax users. What makes it worth $40? Serious question because I'm currently using FreeTaxUSA, previously used TaxAct, and previously another free or small e-file charge program. What am I missing? Is it just the continuity/comfort of using the same program for decades? Our taxes have never been too complex. Is that it?
I've been getting TT free from Fidelity for years, but I would definitely pay for it if needed. I'm very frugal, but the cost ($35 or so) strikes me as minimal and a bargain compared to getting a CPA. It would be false economy to go to another provider.

I remember trying TaxCut once around 15+ years back. It did not handle company stock option sales very well, so I switched back to TT (TaxCut refunded their cost). Since then, I haven't even considered competitors. Some things I like about TT

-- Download of 1099s from all major brokerages. Also W-2s from major payroll providers.
-- Importing previous year's tax returns (which help to fill in lots of stuff that I might have forgotten such as previous year's refund applied to this year's taxes)
-- Ability to do multi-state returns, and even (with some tweaks) multi state with different filing status
-- Large customer base means that bugs are more likely to be detected, even in state forms (which are used less in general)
-- Forms mode allows me to find out exactly how a number on a tax form is derived. Also, I can tweak numbers if needed.
-- Desktop software. I don't want to use online tax sites.

I know some competitors have some of these features too, but I think TT is generally the leader.
User avatar
SmileyFace
Posts: 7831
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:11 am

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by SmileyFace »

KSOC wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:32 am I have a question for Turbo-Tax users. What makes it worth $40? Serious question because I'm currently using FreeTaxUSA, previously used TaxAct, and previously another free or small e-file charge program. What am I missing? Is it just the continuity/comfort of using the same program for decades? Our taxes have never been too complex. Is that it?
Would these guide me on how to properly handle Rollover IRAs, RSUs, and ESPP? I am guessing not because folks that report here having to correct their taxes sometimes have mentioned using Taxact or FreeTaxUSA. TurboTax is a great price for what it does. It also allows up to 5 returns (I do my own, my kids, and my Dads with it).
If your taxes are simple perhaps anything would do. I figure the few dollars I pay helps me avoid mistakes. And although people like to tell me I am wasting money because Deluxe "has all the forms" I pay the few dollars extra for Premier so I can get the guidance I need.
I always buy the download (or have for the last several years - before that I was buying the CD).
Topic Author
Leesbro63
Posts: 9101
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:36 pm

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by Leesbro63 »

SmileyFace wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:55 pm
KSOC wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:32 am I have a question for Turbo-Tax users. What makes it worth $40? Serious question because I'm currently using FreeTaxUSA, previously used TaxAct, and previously another free or small e-file charge program. What am I missing? Is it just the continuity/comfort of using the same program for decades? Our taxes have never been too complex. Is that it?
Would these guide me on how to properly handle Rollover IRAs, RSUs, and ESPP? I am guessing not because folks that report here having to correct their taxes sometimes have mentioned using Taxact or FreeTaxUSA. TurboTax is a great price for what it does. It also allows up to 5 returns (I do my own, my kids, and my Dads with it).
If your taxes are simple perhaps anything would do. I figure the few dollars I pay helps me avoid mistakes. And although people like to tell me I am wasting money because Deluxe "has all the forms" I pay the few dollars extra for Premier so I can get the guidance I need.
I always buy the download (or have for the last several years - before that I was buying the CD).
Actually, it’s 5 EFiles. If you have more than five, you might be able to “triage” and mail in some returns. Those that are simple and/or are not generating a refund are good candidates for mail-in to leave the 5 EFiles for those generating refunds.
TheRealJohnDoe
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 10:06 am

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by TheRealJohnDoe »

dukeblue219 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:20 am $40 is a real stinker if it doesn't include state e-file (does it?). The Amazon and Costco deals for Deluxe + 1 State are usually around $40 in December.
No edition of TurboTax includes state e-file.

E-filing state is extra for any state except New York.
dukeblue219
Posts: 2904
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:40 am

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by dukeblue219 »

TheRealJohnDoe wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:38 am
dukeblue219 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:20 am $40 is a real stinker if it doesn't include state e-file (does it?). The Amazon and Costco deals for Deluxe + 1 State are usually around $40 in December.
No edition of TurboTax includes state e-file.

E-filing state is extra for any state except New York.
The $40 in question here is the $40 add-on for a single state to the "federal only" package. That struck me as high and I was curious if that was the sum of the state download + filing fee for the state in question (and no, it wasn't).
Caliscotsman
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:18 pm

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by Caliscotsman »

On the box Turbo Tax home and business claims to take care of all your Home and small business needs.
This is incorrect as TT does not efile form 568 for you. You have to print and snail it.
nalor511
Posts: 3602
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:00 am

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by nalor511 »

TheRealJohnDoe wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:38 am
dukeblue219 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:20 am $40 is a real stinker if it doesn't include state e-file (does it?). The Amazon and Costco deals for Deluxe + 1 State are usually around $40 in December.
No edition of TurboTax includes state e-file.

E-filing state is extra for any state except New York.
I think the online version does, or at least that's what I'd been told, but yes the download versions always charge for state efile
User avatar
zincTwo
Posts: 635
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:31 pm
Location: California

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by zincTwo »

nalor511 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:44 pm
TheRealJohnDoe wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:38 am No edition of TurboTax includes state e-file.
I think the online version does, or at least that's what I'd been told, but yes the download versions always charge for state efile
Correct. Online versions charge for the state returns, but eFiles are included.
donaldfair71
Posts: 998
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:15 pm

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by donaldfair71 »

KSOC wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:32 am I have a question for Turbo-Tax users. What makes it worth $40? Serious question because I'm currently using FreeTaxUSA, previously used TaxAct, and previously another free or small e-file charge program. What am I missing? Is it just the continuity/comfort of using the same program for decades? Our taxes have never been too complex. Is that it?
So for me, I used free tax USA for years and loved it. However, in 2020 there was a specific form I needed that free tax doesn’t support. So I found HR Block at Amazon for I believe $5 more than free tax and the Deluxe version supports the form. Even though I don’t need that form every year, I just stayed with HR Block out of inertia.
User avatar
KSOC
Posts: 639
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:53 pm
Location: Central Pennsylvania

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by KSOC »

KSOC wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:20 pm
KSOC wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:32 am I have a question for Turbo-Tax users. What makes it worth $40? Serious question because I'm currently using FreeTaxUSA, previously used TaxAct, and previously another free or small e-file charge program. What am I missing? Is it just the continuity/comfort of using the same program for decades? Our taxes have never been too complex. Is that it?
Thanks all for the feedback. Good points were made and might give it another look.
I'm running Turbotax online to check my FreeTaxUSA return. I was using TaxAct to check and twice there were unresolvable differences. I need to file state return here in PA, and found the the PA e-file kind of confusing, so last year I spent $14 to FreeTaxUSA to make sure it was correct.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
SlowMovingInvestor
Posts: 3322
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:27 am

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

KSOC wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:10 am
KSOC wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:20 pm
KSOC wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:32 am I have a question for Turbo-Tax users. What makes it worth $40? Serious question because I'm currently using FreeTaxUSA, previously used TaxAct, and previously another free or small e-file charge program. What am I missing? Is it just the continuity/comfort of using the same program for decades? Our taxes have never been too complex. Is that it?
Thanks all for the feedback. Good points were made and might give it another look.
I'm running Turbotax online to check my FreeTaxUSA return. I was using TaxAct to check and twice there were unresolvable differences. I need to file state return here in PA, and found the the PA e-file kind of confusing, so last year I spent $14 to FreeTaxUSA to make sure it was correct.
You're saying the Federal returns conflict or that the state return conflicts with PA revenue online filing?

I don't know if TaxAct has forms mode (TT does), but I would suggest dropping into that to see where the differences originate.
User avatar
KSOC
Posts: 639
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:53 pm
Location: Central Pennsylvania

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by KSOC »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:34 am
KSOC wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:10 am
KSOC wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:20 pm
KSOC wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:32 am I have a question for Turbo-Tax users. What makes it worth $40? Serious question because I'm currently using FreeTaxUSA, previously used TaxAct, and previously another free or small e-file charge program. What am I missing? Is it just the continuity/comfort of using the same program for decades? Our taxes have never been too complex. Is that it?
Thanks all for the feedback. Good points were made and might give it another look.
I'm running Turbotax online to check my FreeTaxUSA return. I was using TaxAct to check and twice there were unresolvable differences. I need to file state return here in PA, and found the the PA e-file kind of confusing, so last year I spent $14 to FreeTaxUSA to make sure it was correct.
You're saying the Federal returns conflict or that the state return conflicts with PA revenue online filing?

I don't know if TaxAct has forms mode (TT does), but I would suggest dropping into that to see where the differences originate.
TaxAct had 2 issues in 2 different tax years that was different from FreeTaxUSA. One was due to rounding to whole dollar on 1095-A, the other was a 1099-R whole life insurance policy surrender. The former was minor, the latter was substantial.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
iljets10
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:56 pm

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by iljets10 »

neurosphere wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:19 pm
iljets10 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:33 am
KSOC wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:32 am I have a question for Turbo-Tax users. What makes it worth $40? Serious question because I'm currently using FreeTaxUSA, previously used TaxAct, and previously another free or small e-file charge program. What am I missing? Is it just the continuity/comfort of using the same program for decades? Our taxes have never been too complex. Is that it?
I used TaxAct once about 5 years ago. It put all of my earned income in both states I was filling, even though I said I was a resident of only 1 state and my W-2 had my employers’ address. TaxAct was convinced that nothing was wrong and I had to manually fix the error. After that I vowed to never again use such faulty software. I’ve never had such a worry with TurboTax.
This is a tangent from the main question in this thread, but the employer address is irrelevant/ignored by tax software as it has no bearing on your taxes. If you correctly indicated you were a resident of state 1, and non-resident of state 2, then the next step is to tell taxact which amount of the total income is attributable to the non-resident state, if any. I would never rely on software to get this "right" without your input or verification. In fact, it's often the case that w2s are incorrect (lines 15 through 17) if you have not notified your employer of your correct tax situation/residency/etc.
I did all of that and the software still insisted - I had to go into the forms and manually correct it. If the software can’t fill the forms out correctly based on the questions asked, then why am I paying for the software instead of doing it myself for free?
Topic Author
Leesbro63
Posts: 9101
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:36 pm

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by Leesbro63 »

iljets10 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:38 am
neurosphere wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:19 pm
iljets10 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:33 am
KSOC wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:32 am I have a question for Turbo-Tax users. What makes it worth $40? Serious question because I'm currently using FreeTaxUSA, previously used TaxAct, and previously another free or small e-file charge program. What am I missing? Is it just the continuity/comfort of using the same program for decades? Our taxes have never been too complex. Is that it?
I used TaxAct once about 5 years ago. It put all of my earned income in both states I was filling, even though I said I was a resident of only 1 state and my W-2 had my employers’ address. TaxAct was convinced that nothing was wrong and I had to manually fix the error. After that I vowed to never again use such faulty software. I’ve never had such a worry with TurboTax.
This is a tangent from the main question in this thread, but the employer address is irrelevant/ignored by tax software as it has no bearing on your taxes. If you correctly indicated you were a resident of state 1, and non-resident of state 2, then the next step is to tell taxact which amount of the total income is attributable to the non-resident state, if any. I would never rely on software to get this "right" without your input or verification. In fact, it's often the case that w2s are incorrect (lines 15 through 17) if you have not notified your employer of your correct tax situation/residency/etc.
I did all of that and the software still insisted - I had to go into the forms and manually correct it. If the software can’t fill the forms out correctly based on the questions asked, then why am I paying for the software instead of doing it myself for free?
Because the software basically works well most of the time and it's still a huge bit easier than doing it by hand. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.
investor4life
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:45 am

Re: Did Turbotax Pull One Over?

Post by investor4life »

Just picked up TTax Premier at Costco ($65), Federal + State. Includes an additional $10 discount applicable towards State E-File (among other things).
Post Reply