Fidelity free Turbotax 2022

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
zeugmite

Fidelity free Turbotax 2022

Post by zeugmite »

[Moved into a new thread from: Fidelity free Turbotax [2016 - 2021] --admin LadyGeek]

Is the free 2022 Turbotax out yet on Fidelity?
MisterBill

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax

Post by MisterBill »

zeugmite wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:43 pm Is the free 2022 Turbotax out yet on Fidelity?
If you were to check earlier posts in this thread, you'd see that it always becomes available in mid-December.
ryman554

Post by ryman554 »

zeugmite wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:43 pm Is the free 2022 Turbotax out yet on Fidelity?
No

Heck, if you look online, the 2023 (2022 tax year) TurboTax isn't even live yet.
ryman554

Post by ryman554 »

I'll ask a subtle question.. let's say I have a complex tax year and want to make sure I don't run afoul of any safe harbors. Can I start the 2022 return (online, whenever it goes live) and later come back with the free offer (I'll get it) and apply it?

Yeah, first world problems, but I do like a discount...
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

ryman554 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:13 am I'll ask a subtle question.. let's say I have a complex tax year and want to make sure I don't run afoul of any safe harbors. Can I start the 2022 return (online, whenever it goes live) and later come back with the free offer (I'll get it) and apply it?

Yeah, first world problems, but I do like a discount...
My understanding is the online tools are free to "use", but you "pay to file". If that's correct, then yes, should work out.

One slight complication though is if you opt for the "desktop" version of the software. I don't recall if there's a way to import your data from online... Personally, I "start over" to ensure I have a "clean" set of data for my "official" filing, so it's never been an issue for me... YMMV
JayB

Post by JayB »

ryman554 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:10 am
No

Heck, if you look online, the 2023 (2022 tax year) TurboTax isn't even live yet.
Unlike the federal tax versions, the state versions of TurboTax often are not available for at least several weeks after the beginning of the new year. This is because state rules and thresholds are often finalized after the end of the year, and TurboTax needs time to incorporate those into their system.
JayB

Post by JayB »

GeraniumLover wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:05 pm
Gadget wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:09 pm
MisterBill wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:43 pm
Gadget wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:57 pm After a few years of whining silently to myself that I didn't get free Turbotax from Fidelity, I finally got it this year. Not really sure what changed exactly.
Congrats! Welcome to the club! Did you get a rep assigned this year? I assume you are and were PCG?
I had a rep assigned before. I've been PCG for a while. I even asked my rep a couple years ago (not sure on exactly how long ago) for the free turbotax for PCG members that I saw everyone getting, and he specifically said I wasn't eligible. That was the only conversation I've ever had with my rep...
I have had similar experiences, although for a couple of years I did get the free TT Premier. Now I don't, but my mother (whose finances I handle) does, even though she has more modest accounts with Fidelity than we do. I just got reassigned to a new rep after a few years with one under which I never got TT nor a reasonable explanation of why not (they offered "it is a marketing program and the marketing people told me you weren't eligible")
The Fidelity free TurboTax offer allows for the creation of multiple separate Intuit accounts for different people -- all free. I have been using this for years to prepare my dad's fed + state taxes for free as well as my own, even though he does not have a Fidelity account. To claim the free offer for myself, I go through the Fidelity-provided link, which brings me to a sign in page where I sign into my account. I later do the same for my dad starting with the Fidelity-provided link, which brings me again to the sign-in page, where I sign into his account. The first time around for each of us, there was no account, so we had to establish one from scratch via prompts from Intuit; the free version then popped up -- along with a bunch of plus selling trying to get folks to buy a fancier package than they need and advice they don't need.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

SnowBog wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:21 am My understanding is the online tools are free to "use", but you "pay to file". If that's correct, then yes, should work out.

One slight complication though is if you opt for the "desktop" version of the software. I don't recall if there's a way to import your data from online... Personally, I "start over" to ensure I have a "clean" set of data for my "official" filing, so it's never been an issue for me... YMMV
That is correct about only paying to file. What I do for my son is to login to his account through the Fidelity link and then go through to the payment section (even without entering his tax information for the year) and "pay" for his return, so he can then login on his own to file for free. Obviously, the first year he needed to fill the basic information first.

And yes, you cannot import an in-process return from one platform to the other, so if you start on one platform you will need to re-enter everything if you switch. You can import the previous year's filed return between platforms.
LiveFor30

Post by LiveFor30 »

No

Actually I got an email from TT on 11/6/22 saying the new version for 2022 taxes is available. Just an FYI.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

If you get the free fidelity TT download, there's an efile fee for state. Is there an efile fee for state if you choose the online version (through the fidelity link)? Thanks
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

nalor511 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:56 am If you get the free fidelity TT download, there's an efile fee for state. Is there an efile fee for state if you choose the online version (through the fidelity link)? Thanks
In past years, state e-file has been free with the online version, even for multiple states. Obviously, we do not know how it will work this year.
Agent86

Post by Agent86 »

I too received my first Intuit 'Turbo Tax Offer' of the 2022 season.

I wonder how many forms are still pending?

If I act now, I can get $10 off. I think I will wait.
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

Agent86 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:30 am I too received my first Intuit 'Turbo Tax Offer' of the 2022 season.

If I act now, I can get $10 off. I think I will wait.
I received the same email this morning, and it's still $70. I too will wait for a better offer. I can't imagine all the forms are available now, anyway.
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
ryman554

Post by ryman554 »

LiveFor30 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:30 am
No

Actually I got an email from TT on 11/6/22 saying the new version for 2022 taxes is available. Just an FYI.
They are mistaken. I can do an "estimate", but it's very limited in scope. Nothing like filling in the actual details...
ryman554

Post by ryman554 »

nalor511 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:56 am If you get the free fidelity TT download, there's an efile fee for state. Is there an efile fee for state if you choose the online version (through the fidelity link)? Thanks
e-filed for state was free using the online version using the free fido version in previous years.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

This is news to me.
I am a Private Client member and I never recall getting the free Turbotax offer.
Am I entitled to this, and if so, how do I access it?
Thanks.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

protagonist wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:58 am This is news to me.
I am a Private Client member and I never recall getting the free Turbotax offer.
Thanks.
It will be on the main page when you login to the Fidelity site (the one with the boxes), towards the bottom. But it's not available yet. Come back in mid-December and someone will post when it's available. They do not email people to tell them about it (which is stupid, since it's a big customer benefit that they should be making sure customers know about.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

Agent86 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:30 am I too received my first Intuit 'Turbo Tax Offer' of the 2022 season.

Probably all of them, since I doubt that the IRS has finalized any of them.

For anyone who expects to get it free from Fidelity but absolutely needs TT before December, they do offer a 60-day money-back guarantee. Kind of a pain, but something to consider. Or just use the online version, since it's free until you file.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

MisterBill wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:32 pm
Thanks.
It will be on the main page when you login to the Fidelity site (the one with the boxes), towards the bottom. But it's not available yet. Come back in mid-December and someone will post when it's available. They do not email people to tell them about it (which is stupid, since it's a big customer benefit that they should be making sure customers know about.
Thanks!
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

protagonist wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:01 pm
Thanks.
Thanks!
And not everyone gets the offer to show up... Not sure if anyone has "cracked the code" as to why - or why not. Some have had success calling in and requesting, others have not...

My vote is minimally "frequent traders" get it....

I didn't get the offer for 10+ years. Then I moved my "checking" and "savings" accounts to Fidelity, and make frequent manual purchases (and automatic redemptions) of MM funds like FZDXX as new money is deposited. Since then, I've gotten the offer every year. YMMV
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

SnowBog wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:28 pm And not everyone gets the offer to show up... Not sure if anyone has "cracked the code" as to why - or why not. Some have had success calling in and requesting, others have not...

I didn't get the offer for 10+ years. Then I moved my "checking" and "savings" accounts to Fidelity, and make frequent manual purchases (and automatic redemptions) of MM funds like FZDXX as new money is deposited. Since then, I've gotten the offer every year. YMMV
We have covered this topic dozens of times in this thread. Were you a Private Client before you transferred your checking and savings to Fidelity? Did you have a rep assigned before and if not, do you have one now? Frequent traders is not an absolute requirement (many of us who get it trade very little), but it can be if you are an Active Trader Pro. Being a Private Client is typically what gets it, but there is at least anecdotal evidence that if you do not have a Fidelity rep assigned, you will usually not get it.

BTW, the Fidelity Active Trader page which used to mention free Turbotax does not currently mention it. Not sure if that's because it isn't out yet or if it's an actual change.

https://www.fidelity.com/trading/active ... ice-levels
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

SnowBog wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:28 pm
Thanks.
Thanks!
And not everyone gets the offer to show up... Not sure if anyone has "cracked the code" as to why - or why not. Some have had success calling in and requesting, others have not...

How many trades does it require?
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

anon_investor wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:46 am
Thanks.
Thanks!

How many trades does it require?
Fidelity is the only one who knows and isn't telling
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Thanks.
Thanks!

Interesting.
I virtually never trade, with the exception, like you, of making frequent FZDXX purchases whenever money appears in my account.
Good to know. I will keep my eyes open in December.

If buying FZDXX is enough (I am also a Private Client), maybe buying smaller quantities more often would be a good strategy. That said, it may not be worth the time.

btw, I switched from Turbotax to HR Block years ago. If I go back to TT, does anybody know if past years' H+R Block data can be efficiently and accurately transferred to TT with a click or two, and vice versa? I vaguely recall having a problem when I tried transferring some data from TT to HRB years ago.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

nalor511 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:50 am
anon_investor wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:46 am How many trades does it require?
That's not true. The link I posted yesterday shows what it takes to be considered part of their Active Trader program.

What we don't know is why some people who are Private Client and should qualify for the offer don't get it.
2beachcombers

Post by 2beachcombers »

Thanks.
I'm also Private Client(20+ YRS). I send my rep the bill and they credit to my account. i have not bothered to try and find an offer. :sharebeer
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

MisterBill wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:33 am
That's not true. The link I posted yesterday shows what it takes to be considered part of their Active Trader program.

What we don't know is why some people who are Private Client and should qualify for the offer don't get it.
What I meant was what you said - there seems to be some amount of trades less than ATP that gets you TT if you're PC/PS, and we don't know what amount that is. I have a family member with 0 trades, and I have maybe 20, and I get it and they don't, as one datapoint.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

nalor511 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:42 pm What I meant was what you said - there seems to be some amount of trades less than ATP that gets you TT if you're PC/PS, and we don't know what amount that is. I have a family member with 0 trades, and I have maybe 20, and I get it and they don't, as one datapoint.
Is the family member Private Client? Do they have a Fidelity rep assigned?
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

MisterBill wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:33 am

Candidly, I'm not even sure I know who qualifies or how to be in the "private client" status... Which is yet another mystery (at least to me).

I've had "reps" try to reach out from time-to-time, and I either ignore them or tell them I'm a happy DIY investor and don't need their help. They leave me alone until some new manager comes into the region and introduces themselves...

From prior posts, we had more money in Fidelity than others who were getting the offer (but we never had a "rep" [and don't want one]). It wasn't until they considered us an "active trader" 2 years ago (as the only way we made 120+ trades were with buying/selling MM funds) that we got the offer.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

MisterBill wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:53 pm
nalor511 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:42 pm What I meant was what you said - there seems to be some amount of trades less than ATP that gets you TT if you're PC/PS, and we don't know what amount that is. I have a family member with 0 trades, and I have maybe 20, and I get it and they don't, as one datapoint.
Is the family member Private Client? Do they have a Fidelity rep assigned?
All other factors same (except balance, which is within 5%)
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

SnowBog wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:13 pm
Candidly, I'm not even sure I know who qualifies or how to be in the "private client" status... Which is yet another mystery (at least to me).

I've had "reps" try to reach out from time-to-time, and I either ignore them or tell them I'm a happy DIY investor and don't need their help. They leave me alone until some new manager comes into the region and introduces themselves...

From prior posts, we had more money in Fidelity than others who were getting the offer (but we never had a "rep" [and don't want one]). It wasn't until they considered us an "active trader" 2 years ago (as the only way we made 120+ trades were with buying/selling MM funds) that we got the offer.
I posted this in a SD thread that I created a couple of years ago. The first paragraph was from the Fidelity site:

Certain covered clients: Private Wealth Management (PWM) client and owns one or more nonretirement account(s) or PCG, Premium, and ATS clients with minimum assets of either: PWI assets of $1,000,000 or more and PI assets of at least $500,000 and own one or more nonretirement account or Nonretirement assets $1,000,000 or more. Applies to Federal returns and one state return only. Cost of additional state returns are the responsibility of the client.

Definitions:
PWI = Personal & Workplace Investments (aka 401k/pension/ESPP/etc.)
PI = Personal Investments (individual, joint, IRA, Roth IRA, etc. accounts)

I don't understand the aversion to having a Fidelity rep. It doesn't cost you anything, and you can tell them not to call you. And it's nice to have someone you can contact if you have an issue. And as I said, there is anecdotal evidence that not having one will prevent you from getting this deal. You even said that you did not get the offer until you became Active Trader even though you were PCG. My branch has had holiday parties at nice restaurants in the past that I have been invited to, and she has taken me out for lunch when they cancelled them. So another perk to having a rep.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

MisterBill wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:28 pm...I don't understand the aversion to having a Fidelity rep. It doesn't cost you anything, and you can tell them not to call you. And it's nice to have someone you can contact if you have an issue. And as I said, there is anecdotal evidence that not having one will prevent you from getting this deal. You even said that you did not get the offer until you became Active Trader even though you were PCG. My branch has had holiday parties at nice restaurants in the past that I have been invited to, and she has taken me out for lunch when they cancelled them. So another perk to having a rep.
To add more fuel to the fire, this year I opened a non-CMA brokerage account, added ATM/Debit and BillPay to it, got FDRXX set as my core settlement fund, under the expectation that as PCG status I would have ATM fees refunded (I was actually told I would by a customer service rep). This setup would simplify having to manually move/purchase the higher-yielding MM fund within the CMA account and bypass all the superfluous transactions through the FDIC sweep that I don't really need/want compared to using the MM fund as the core. Aside from the CMA account, all my other assets are in IRA/Roth accounts. After getting the new brokerage account setup though, I found I was not getting ATM fees refunded :confused I called customer service, it apparently routed me to a PCG customer service rep, they confirmed that as they understood it I should get ATM fees refunded but put me on hold to investigate, and after a bit of going around they came back and apologized and explained that I HAD TO have a rep assigned and work with them in opening the account in order to get it setup for ATM fees to be refunded on a regular brokerage account :annoyed
I wound up closing the account and reverting back to using the CMA account, it's not that big of a deal, but is one more situation where apparently having an assigned PCG rep can make a difference.
FWIW, I'm still stubbornly resisting getting a rep assigned, perhaps if the assigned rep was someone at the closest physical branch office to me it might be of more interest to me, but when they initially wanted to assign me a rep they were trying to schedule a phone meeting with someone on the opposite coast +3 hours from me during hours I've got my own job to attend to... pass.. :wink:
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

JoMoney wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:06 pm
FWIW, I'm still stubbornly resisting getting a rep assigned, perhaps if the assigned rep was someone at the closest physical branch office to me it might be of more interest to me, but when they initially wanted to assign me a rep they were trying to schedule a phone meeting with someone on the opposite coast +3 hours from me during hours I've got my own job to attend to... pass.. :wink:
FWIW, I can't recall hearing from my rep. in years. Maybe I gave them a bogus phone number....not sure. *laughing* Once in a blue moon I call him when I have an issue I need resolved.
It really is not intrusive or time-consuming, unless you want it to be.
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

protagonist wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:11 am
JoMoney wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:06 pm
FWIW, I can't recall hearing from my rep. in years. Maybe I gave them a bogus phone number....not sure. *laughing* Once in a blue moon I call him when I have an issue I need resolved.
It really is not intrusive or time-consuming, unless you want it to be.
Perhaps. But I wouldn't be surprised if they have some metric in their compensation tied to getting me to do X. I get they aren't pushy, and seem to respect the "no thanks" response - which is a credit to them. But I don't see a reason to tie up one of their "slots" for directly managed customers with myself who will never help them hit their performance metric.

I figure I'd waste their time as much as they'd waste mine. And "free" lunches, concerts, or quicker support aren't worth it to me. Candidly, I'd rather not go to those types of events, and I rarely have support needs (and find the normal numbers work fine when I need them).

But to each, their own! :beer
Last edited by SnowBog on Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

SnowBog wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:06 am Perhaps. But I wouldn't be surprised if they have some metric in their compensation tied to getting me to do X. I get they aren't pushy, and seem to respect the "no thanks" response - which is a credit to them. But I don't see a reason to tie up one of their "slots" for directly managed customers with myself who will never help them hit their performance metric.

I figure I'd waste their time as much as they'd waste mine. And "free" lunches, concerts, or quicker support aren't worth it to me. Candidly, I'd rather not go to those types of events, and I rarely have support needs (and find the normal numbers work fine for my needs.

But to each, their own! :beer
Sigh. Everyone is an expert. I just met with my rep on Wednesday. She did not try to sell me anything, we just chatted about stuff (mainly non-financial) for an hour, although I did explain why I hadn't purchased the hybrid LTC plan from her that she had arranged a meeting about (the plan that Fidelity sells in NYS is not competitive to what I was able to get, she had heard that before).
TheRealJohnDoe

Post by TheRealJohnDoe »

Been following the Fidelity free TurboTax threads for years and concur with those who say we simply don't know. Every attempt to define the criteria meets with counterexamples. Many data points tend to show it is may be related to Private Client status and/or assets held that are not in corporate 401(k) accounts. I am Private Client, > $1M in qualified accounts (not 401(k)), but only one penny in taxable account. I can count on one hand the number of trades I've done through Fidelity in the last ten years. I get it every year.

Now comes the question of when. There is a remarkable pattern in the last several years that the offer first appears on the Thursday following December 15th. Alas, this year December 15th falls on a Thursday. We'll have to wait and see if the offer appears the 15th or the 22nd.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

TheRealJohnDoe wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:34 am Been following the Fidelity free TurboTax threads for years and concur with those who say we simply don't know. Every attempt to define the criteria meets with counterexamples. Many data points tend to show it is may be related to Private Client status and/or assets held that are not in corporate 401(k) accounts. I am Private Client, > $1M in qualified accounts (not 401(k)), but only one penny in taxable account. I can count on one hand the number of trades I've done through Fidelity in the last ten years. I get it every year.

Now comes the question of when. There is a remarkable pattern in the last several years that the offer first appears on the Thursday following December 15th. Alas, this year December 15th falls on a Thursday. We'll have to wait and see if the offer appears the 15th or the 22nd.
If one qualifies, where would it show up in your Fido account?
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

anon_investor wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:57 pm
TheRealJohnDoe wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:34 am Been following the Fidelity free TurboTax threads for years and concur with those who say we simply don't know. Every attempt to define the criteria meets with counterexamples. Many data points tend to show it is may be related to Private Client status and/or assets held that are not in corporate 401(k) accounts. I am Private Client, > $1M in qualified accounts (not 401(k)), but only one penny in taxable account. I can count on one hand the number of trades I've done through Fidelity in the last ten years. I get it every year.

If one qualifies, where would it show up in your Fido account?
IIRC on your "home" page when you login to your account. For me that's my "all accounts - portfolio" page. I want to say there was an extra box that showed up with the "free TurboTax" info. It might also show up when you go to the "tax info" page. But you have to "look" - there isn't any pop-up, alert, email, or other notification.
busdriver

Post by busdriver »

MisterBill wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:28 pm
I posted this in a SD thread that I created a couple of years ago. The first paragraph was from the Fidelity site:

Certain covered clients: Private Wealth Management (PWM) client and owns one or more nonretirement account(s) or PCG, Premium, and ATS clients with minimum assets of either: PWI assets of $1,000,000 or more and PI assets of at least $500,000 and own one or more nonretirement account or Nonretirement assets $1,000,000 or more. Applies to Federal returns and one state return only. Cost of additional state returns are the responsibility of the client.

Definitions:
PWI = Personal & Workplace Investments (aka 401k/pension/ESPP/etc.)
PI = Personal Investments (individual, joint, IRA, Roth IRA, etc. accounts)

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Free Turbotax Premier listed as a perk on Fidelity's Active Trader page that shows what's included for the different levels? I seem to remember the above statement at the bottom of that page with reference to qualifications for getting the free Turbotax. Anyway, looking at the Active Trader page today has no mention of the free Turbotax which makes me wonder if the free Turbotax has been discontinued?

From Fidelity's Compare Trading Service Levels page:

"* Active traders who trade 120+ trades per calendar year and has one or more nonretirement account(s).

Certain covered clients: Private Wealth Management (PWM) client and owns one or more nonretirement account(s) or PCG, Premium, and ATS clients with minimum assets of either: PWI assets of $1,000,000 or more and PI assets of at least $500,000 and own one or more nonretirement account or Nonretirement assets $1,000,000 or more. Applies to Federal returns and one state return only. Cost of additional state returns are the responsibility of the client."

https://www.fidelity.com/trading/active ... ice-levels
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

SnowBog wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:24 pm IIRC on your "home" page when you login to your account. For me that's my "all accounts - portfolio" page. I want to say there was an extra box that showed up with the "free TurboTax" info. It might also show up when you go to the "tax info" page. But you have to "look" - there isn't any pop-up, alert, email, or other notification.
The tax info page only shows the 20% off discount, and everyone gets that. Many people report getting that offer, and it only confuses the issue of whether you got the freebie.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

busdriver wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:56 pm Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Free Turbotax Premier listed as a perk on Fidelity's Active Trader page that shows what's included for the different levels? I seem to remember the above statement at the bottom of that page with reference to qualifications for getting the free Turbotax. Anyway, looking at the Active Trader page today has no mention of the free Turbotax which makes me wonder if the free Turbotax has been discontinued?
I mentioned that it was missing from the Fidelity website in the post after the one you quoted, posted,ont Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:31 pm.
I will send my rep an email to ask if she's heard anything.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

MisterBill wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:48 pm I mentioned that it was missing from the Fidelity website in the post after the one you quoted, posted,ont Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:31 pm.
I will send my rep an email to ask if she's heard anything.
Ugh, my email to her team got routed to the main Wealth Management Group folks, and they responded by telling me about the discount link that will show up later this month. If we don't see anything before then, I am meeting her for lunch in the next week or two and will ask then.
SpideyIndexer

Fidelity TT 2022 discount, download version HOW?

Post by SpideyIndexer »

So, one of the products for which get a $20 discount is a download version for desktop. I click the link which takes me to Intuit. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to navigate to purchase any download version at a discount. Has anyone else been able to do so?
MadDwag

Re: Fidelity TT 2022 discount, download version HOW?

Post by MadDwag »

I looked yesterday and failed at this same task. I’ll say, though, that $20 off of the list price is still probably higher than what you’ll find at Amazon or some other retailer.
TheRealJohnDoe

Post by TheRealJohnDoe »

MisterBill wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:46 am Ugh, my email to her team got routed to the main Wealth Management Group folks, and they responded by telling me about the discount link that will show up later this month. If we don't see anything before then, I am meeting her for lunch in the next week or two and will ask then.
Tradition holds that it appears on the first Thursday following December 15th. Fingers crossed that if the 15th falls on a Thursday, it appears that day.
intendi

Post by intendi »

Found various directions on the the Fidelity Turbotax megathread (I can't confirm if these approaches work on the current version).

To access download version:
1. Click link from Fidelity to be directed to TurboTax site.
2. Once on TurboTax site, click File Your own Taxes on top.
3. Click CD/Download Products
4. Click Compare All products

Also this (after using the link from Fidelity to get to TurboTax, use the sitemap (on TurboTax)).
1. Click "Sitemap" toward the bottom of the landing page.
2. Scroll down to the "CD/Download Products" section.
3. Click the second item: "TurboTax (2022-2023) CD/Download ....."

After clicking on the free Turbotax option on the Fidelity site, this will open the TT page. Scroll to the bottom of the page to the Sitemap on the left side, then click on "Software and Licenses." Scroll to the bottom of that page, where you will find a long list of things, including "CD/download products" then click on "All CD/download products". That gives you a list of products with the option to "Buy Now." If you got there from Fidelity, then it should give you a price of $0 (or whatever discount offer you receive).
MadDwag

Post by MadDwag »

intendi wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:45 am Found various directions on the the Fidelity Turbotax megathread (I can't confirm if these approaches work on the current version).

To access download version:
1. Click link from Fidelity to be directed to TurboTax site.
2. Once on TurboTax site, click File Your own Taxes on top.
3. Click CD/Download Products
4. Click Compare All products

Also this (after using the link from Fidelity to get to TurboTax, use the sitemap (on TurboTax)).
1. Click "Sitemap" toward the bottom of the landing page.
2. Scroll down to the "CD/Download Products" section.
3. Click the second item: "TurboTax (2022-2023) CD/Download ....."

After clicking on the free Turbotax option on the Fidelity site, this will open the TT page. Scroll to the bottom of the page to the Sitemap on the left side, then click on "Software and Licenses." Scroll to the bottom of that page, where you will find a long list of things, including "CD/download products" then click on "All CD/download products". That gives you a list of products with the option to "Buy Now." If you got there from Fidelity, then it should give you a price of $0 (or whatever discount offer you receive).
Thank you! That indeed works. The $20 off for me was, as expected, not as good as what I can purchase on Amazon right now.
volstagg

Post by volstagg »

FYI. Free TT is showing on my Fidelity Portfolio Summary page as of this morning.
feh

Post by feh »

volstagg wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:32 pm FYI. Free TT is showing on my Fidelity Portfolio Summary page as of this morning.
Not for me yet (and I've received it for free for at least 5 years now).
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

volstagg wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:32 pm FYI. Free TT is showing on my Fidelity Portfolio Summary page as of this morning.
Yup, got it! Thanks for mentioning it. I should have looked earlier.

BTW I found the download version, and at least on the mobile website (I'm on my phone at the moment), it wants me to pay $5 ($105 regular price).