Job Interview Question

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Coltrane75

Job Interview Question

Post by Coltrane75 »

Hi all,

I'm in the midst of a job interview process with a company. So far I've had interviews with the recruiter and hiring manager. Upcoming in the next two weeks will be one more interview (at least) with a panel of 2 more people.

During my interview with the hiring manager, I neglected to mention that there are two individuals at his company (but not in his organization) that worked closely with me in the past.

What are your thoughts on me reaching out with an email to the recruiter to let her know who these former co-workers were so they can follow up if they want more information? I don't have the hiring managers contact info as it wasn't available.

Also what are your thoughts about reaching out to a VP I know in the company? I'm not sure if/what to communicate "please put in word for me?"

I'm excited for the job but don't want to leave any angle not taken.

Thanks
cheese_breath

Re: Job Interview Question

Post by cheese_breath »

Have you asked these two people if they'd be willing to act as references for you?
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest »

If the next two interviews are already scheduled I'd raise it at those interviews and immediately after reach out to your contacts.

If you're hoping to make it to the next round I'd reach out to your former colleagues now, say hi and ask them to put in a good word. "I'm really excited about this opportunity. Would welcome any insights you have on the team etc. And if you're comfortable and think I'd be a good fit I'd really appreciate it if ....."

It's not something that comes easy to me, but it's done all the time.

Good luck OP!
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

BrooklynInvest wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:37 am If the next two interviews are already scheduled I'd raise it at those interviews and immediately after reach out to your contacts....
I'd do it before the interviews. I may be overly cautious, but it wouldn't look good for you if one of them preferred not to provide a reference.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Michael Patrick

Post by Michael Patrick »

cheese_breath wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:47 am
BrooklynInvest wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:37 am If the next two interviews are already scheduled I'd raise it at those interviews and immediately after reach out to your contacts....
I'd do it before the interviews. I may be overly cautious, but it wouldn't look good for you if one of them preferred not to provide a reference.
I agree. You'll definitely want to be sure they will give you a good reference, or as cheese_breath menions, give you a reference at all before you offer them up.
TheHiker

Post by TheHiker »

It is a common thing to ask a former co-worker to give you a reference so you can reach out to these people and ask if they can give a reference for you.
It is also common for the company to ask the candidate for references so you should just give their names to the recruiter.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

The most powerful thing to do would be to reach out to the two individuals and see if they are willing to proactively vouch for you - have them send an email to the hiring manager "I heard you are currently interviewing such-and-such. I would highly recommend this candidate for your position as I experienced first hand their contributions at XYZ. As an example blah-blah-blah". I have done this for former colleagues at my current company - I lob an email to the hiring manager giving my endorsement on someone that is interviewing providing examples of their achievements, etc. Of course I only do this if I feel the individual would benefit the organization.
If the hiring manager has two or three candidates they are looking at - having two internal references vouching for you by taking the time to proactively reach out with specific information can push you to the front.
BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest »

cheese_breath wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:47 am
Yeah that's a very fair point. I'm assuming reports would be positive but if - for any number of reasons - they may not be, a preemptive outreach is a good idea.
Topic Author
Coltrane75

Post by Coltrane75 »

Fantastic advice all.

The next set of interviews are not yet scheduled; they said its slow moving. The hiring manager is out on vacation for 2 weeks starting now. They said to bare with them.

I have 3 contact at the target company; one I am already buddies with so I will definitely as her. The other two I will put out feelers for first before asking.

So I will definitely take the advice to act ASAP to reach out to my contacts; however, I think I will wait until after this holiday week; Monday.

Thanks everyone!
Topic Author
Coltrane75

Post by Coltrane75 »

cheese_breath wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:35 am Have you asked these two people if they'd be willing to act as references for you?
One of the two. The other no. There is also a third person, but I'd also need to ask him.
Topic Author
Coltrane75

Post by Coltrane75 »

SmileyFace wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:07 am The most powerful thing to do would be to reach out to the two individuals and see if they are willing to proactively vouch for you - have them send an email to the hiring manager "I heard you are currently interviewing such-and-such. I would highly recommend this candidate for your position as I experienced first hand their contributions at XYZ. As an example blah-blah-blah". I have done this for former colleagues at my current company - I lob an email to the hiring manager giving my endorsement on someone that is interviewing providing examples of their achievements, etc. Of course I only do this if I feel the individual would benefit the organization.
If the hiring manager has two or three candidates they are looking at - having two internal references vouching for you by taking the time to proactively reach out with specific information can push you to the front.
I will do this!
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

When you have good references in the company you're interviewing with, it's always a great idea to contact them first. Before any recruiter tells you about the job even. Why? You might get back a reply to please send your resume and they'll get it to the right people. In one case, I was the reference at the company and a good guy I worked with years ago sent me his resume and the link to the job. With these, I was able to send the info to the right people in the company. We hired the guy and I collected a $6000 finders fee.

I'll say to not JUST do that. If nothing happens and the recruiter tells you about the job, still go for it. This happened to me. I had sent a resume to the general hiring site, one to a guy I had worked with in the past and shortly after the recruiter told me about the job. I let him know about the resumes I already sent and he told me not to worry about them. I ended up getting the interviews through the recruiter (outside) and was offered and took the job. Don't assume that megatechcorp is competent because they often aren't. Because they didn't follow up on the resumes I sent them, they paid the recruiter $40k.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
privateer79

Post by privateer79 »

definitely let your friends know your applying, and see if they'll give you a good reference/ask for insights... they may say "hey don't go work for that jerk, we have an opening over here that's way better for you"

Also, if you work in a niche field, it's possible they've already connected the dots, and asked your contacts already... at my mega-corp its common to get a "hey did you ever work with Joe when you were at XYZ corp?" from hiring managers.... I've even circuitously heard we were interviewing someone (very senior) that I know others had strong feelings about and let those folks know they should voice their opinion, before management made a decision, that would be hard to undo.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

When people talk about the importance of networking, this is what it’s for. If somebody in the inside can vouch for you, that’s a huge advantage for you.

Don’t be daft. Use every tool you have to help put your best foot forward.
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

cheese_breath wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:35 am Have you asked these two people if they'd be willing to act as references for you?
THIS

Twice in my 40+ year career I had former co-workers put me down as a reference in applying for a position at my employer, without contacting me. I was asked about these people and had to give an honest answer (it wasn't positive in either case). They did not receive an interview or job offer.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)