Schwab - 2 factor - alternative to Symantec VIP?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
MtnTravel

Schwab - 2 factor - alternative to Symantec VIP?

Post by MtnTravel »

I want to switch from using texts to using a 2FA app for Schwab, but the only option it gives me is to download the Symantec app.

Can you not use your own 2FA app like Authy or apple's own built in keychain?

I used that Symantec app in the past for another bank and it was terrible.
Svensk Anga

Re: Schwab - 2 factor - alternative to Symantec VIP?

Post by Svensk Anga »

I've been using Symantec VIP for a couple years for Fidelity and E-trade. I've never had any problems. Maybe your issue was on the bank end and not the VIP app.
CCD

Post by CCD »

There is another way... If you don't mind a little coding. You can generate a code that can be added to any third party app. I'm away from my computer but you can search bogleheads and find the instructions.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

As CCD mentioned, if you're comfortable running various command-line programs at your computer, check out this open source project:
https://github.com/dlenski/python-vipaccess

"python-vipaccess is a free and open source software (FOSS) implementation of Symantec's VIP Access client (now owned by Broadcom)."

It's been mentioned in various Bogleheads posts over the years (viewtopic.php?p=5499370#p5499370, viewtopic.php?p=6207258#p6207258).
Dukethegator

Post by Dukethegator »

There is some expiration date in the VIPaccess python generated code that I believe I am well passed for Schwab and USAA and I haven't run into a problem.
MrJedi

Post by MrJedi »

Symantec VIP is basically a wrapped version of the TOTP codes used by Authy, Aegis, Google Authenticator, etc. But instead of generating your own secret, the Symantec server handles the secret generation and then provides it to your app behind the scenes.

As mentioned up stream there is a way to manually ping the Symantec server to activate a secret and pass it to you directly. Then you manually input the secret into your desired authenticator app and it functions just like other TOTP. I have done it and it is pretty nifty. It does take a little bit of tech/code savviness. Not a ton but at least basics (I was able to slug through it without a formal programming background but have some computer savviness).
yolointopants

Post by yolointopants »

MtnTravel wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:47 am I want to switch from using texts to using a 2FA app for Schwab, but the only option it gives me is to download the Symantec app.

Can you not use your own 2FA app like Authy or apple's own built in keychain?

I used that Symantec app in the past for another bank and it was terrible.
There's also the option of using the Schwab mobile app as the 2FA itself too. SMS 2FA is just one hijacked phone number away from disaster. Nobody should be using it, ever.
LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist »

I can confirm that I followed the above instructions and was able to use both Google Authenticator and Aegis along with VIP Symantec interchangebly.
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides
FellsGuy

Post by FellsGuy »

Been using it with Fidelity for 2-3 years no issues
“Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six , result happiness. | Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery”
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

FellsGuy wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:15 pm Been using it with Fidelity for 2-3 years no issues
Also using it with Fidelity for many years with no issues.