Letter from Social Security

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
britanak33

Letter from Social Security

Post by britanak33 »

Hi,
Received a curious letter from SSA. I applied for my benefits in August, will be 70 in Dec, expect 1st payment in Jan 2023.

Letter states:

"An online transaction was recently attempted with your name and personal information. In order to process the transaction we need additional information from you ..."

I've called the phone number and I'm awaiting a call back. I can't imagine what additional info they would need. I checked the SSA web site and the application is still at step 2 of the process
(So application has not yet been approved). This rules out an attempt to pay me retoactively.
I checked and re-checked the bank account & routing numbers.

Any ideas what they are looking for?
LilyFleur

Re: Letter from Social Security

Post by LilyFleur »

Did you google the phone number? Is it a legitimate phone number for Social Security?

Many times scammers behave as if they are trying to keep you safe from scammers.
Raycpact

Post by Raycpact »

britanak33 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:40 pm Hi,
Received a curious letter from SSA. I applied for my benefits in August, will be 70 in Dec, expect 1st payment in Jan 2023.

Letter states:

"An online transaction was recently attempted with your name and personal information. In order to process the transaction we need additional information from you ..."

I've called the phone number and I'm awaiting a call back. I can't imagine what additional info they would need. I checked the SSA web site and the application is still at step 2 of the process
(So application has not yet been approved). This rules out an attempt to pay me retoactively.
I checked and re-checked the bank account & routing numbers.

Any ideas what they are looking for?
I googled "An online transaction was recently attempted with your name and personal information. " I found that same phrase on a web site early-retirement.org. The poster called the number and was told his application for SS was flagged as possible fraud and that he needed to come to a physical location with Id.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums ... 804-5.html
Topic Author
britanak33

Post by britanak33 »

That sounds more likely, as I assumed that "An online transaction" referred to a bank account rather than my SSA account.
I've been logging on to SSA alot lately to see the status of my application. Hopefully that's more the issue rather than a hack attempt.
Thanks for the info and link. I'll report back on the resolution.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Keep that scam antenna way up. Don't give personal info until you are absolutely sure you're really talking to who you think you're talking to.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

If it were me, I'd make an appointment to go to the SS office, that way I *know* it's them.
diy60

Post by diy60 »

When spouse and I applied online separately we both received letters and a phone call as well. Since we block unknown callers we had voice mails identifying the caller as a rep from SS, and that we needed to call back with regards to our applications for benefits. Further online searching suggested SS was using a third party contractor to randomly verify online applications. I can't remember, but I don't think either one of us called back and both applications were approved a couple of weeks later regardless. While you should always be on high alert, not everything is a scam. Best of luck.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

You do have an action in process at SSA, so a request for more information is possible.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

britanak33 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:40 pmAny ideas what they are looking for?
Your application was assigned to a vetting rep. That rep is going to want you to prove who are you. When you talk with that assigned person, s/he will ask you to provide some specific documents by FAX.

At least that was what they wanted from me and my buddy when we each applied a year apart (2021 & 2022).
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
Topic Author
britanak33

Post by britanak33 »

I went to the local SSA office with the letter. It was legitimate. They just needed to verify my identity. Thanks for all the responses.
student

Post by student »

It is great that it worked out. Moreover, it is good that they take identity theft seriously and require verification.
corpmd

Post by corpmd »

A good 7 years before I/ was going to interact with Social Security, a scammer created an account in my name. They were able to pull enough information from the dark web to do a soft security check and created an account in my name. They filed for early social security and managed to get a payment sent to a sketchy online bank domiciled in Florida.

Fortunately, Social Security sent a written letter informing me that I had filed for early payments and gave me a chance to correct the scam. It took two trips to the Security office to correct and I found the office very professional and helpful. (Of course there was lots of waiting in line either in person or on the phone.)

The lesson I learned was that I should have created an official account at the youngest age possible so that no one could create a false account. I would advise anyone, at even the youngest age, to create their online Social Security account where you can simply check your balances as your working life continues. I recently filed for social security at the most delayed age and all went well. Social Security had managed the whole episode well, my wife and I were able to file via a phone appointment and I only have the best things to say about the professionalism of those who work for us.
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

corpmd wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:53 pm A good 7 years before I/ was going to interact with Social Security, a scammer created an account in my name. They were able to pull enough information from the dark web to do a soft security check and created an account in my name. They filed for early social security and managed to get a payment sent to a sketchy online bank domiciled in Florida.

Fortunately, Social Security sent a written letter informing me that I had filed for early payments and gave me a chance to correct the scam. It took two trips to the Security office to correct and I found the office very professional and helpful. (Of course there was lots of waiting in line either in person or on the phone.)

The lesson I learned was that I should have created an official account at the youngest age possible so that no one could create a false account. I would advise anyone, at even the youngest age, to create their online Social Security account where you can simply check your balances as your working life continues. I recently filed for social security at the most delayed age and all went well. Social Security had managed the whole episode well, my wife and I were able to file via a phone appointment and I only have the best things to say about the professionalism of those who work for us.
Thanks for sharing your story.

Note for myself - create social security account. Don't delay!
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
twh

Post by twh »

corpmd wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:53 pm A good 7 years before I/ was going to interact with Social Security, a scammer created an account in my name. They were able to pull enough information from the dark web to do a soft security check and created an account in my name.
Which is why everyone should make online accounts for any financial place they are associated with to prevent some scammer from doing it out from under you. Even if you don't use that account for anything, lock down the online account before some scammer beats you to it.