wire transfer out of Marcus account

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
feh

wire transfer out of Marcus account

Post by feh »

Will need to wire funds for a home purchase. I have accounts at Ally, Synchrony and Marcus, although most of the funds are at Marcus.

Anybody have personal experience with wiring large amounts from Marcus? If Ally or Synchrony have a smoother process, I could transfer funds out of Marcus and wire from Ally/Synchrony.

Thanks.
student

Re: wire transfer out of Marcus account

Post by student »

Are there any reasons why you want to wire money instead of doing ACH?
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Here is a post in another thread about a Marcus wire issue for a mortgage:
viewtopic.php?p=6801831#p6801831

There may be other wire issues noted in the same thread after the one I linked, above.
Topic Author
feh

Post by feh »

student wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:42 pm Are there any reasons why you want to wire money instead of doing ACH?
The closing company has not stated ACH is an option.
former_academic80

Post by former_academic80 »

I transferred money out of Marcus to my checking account via wire recently because I messed up the timing of a check and the ACH was slow. It ended up working fine.

I think ACH has monthly limits on the amount you can send that a wire transfer doesn't.
Topic Author
feh

Post by feh »

HomeStretch wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:44 pm Here is a post in another thread about a Marcus wire issue for a mortgage:

There may be other wire issues noted in the same thread after the one I linked, above.
Thanks.

Anybody have experience with Ally for a large transaction like this?
student

Post by student »

feh wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:58 pm
student wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:42 pm Are there any reasons why you want to wire money instead of doing ACH?
ok. I was thinking about ACH to your checking account at your local bank (assuming you have one) and then get a certified check.
Topic Author
feh

Post by feh »

student wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:10 pm
ok. I was thinking about ACH to your checking account at your local bank (assuming you have one) and then get a certified check.
Ah, I see.

Unfortunately I do not have a local bank, so I'll need to facilitate this from one of the big online banks.
student

Post by student »

feh wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:12 pm
student wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:10 pm
Ah, I see.

Unfortunately I do not have a local bank, so I'll need to facilitate this from one of the big online banks.
Please be careful. You may want to read this. https://www.rocketmortgage.com/learn/mo ... wire-fraud
cowdogman

Post by cowdogman »

I always use ACH at Marcus, but wires are possible: Log into your account at Marcus, select the relevant account, select Transfer, choose between wire and ACH.

Note the following from the FAQs:
For withdrawals: you can withdraw up to your available balance. For security purposes, withdrawal requests exceeding $250,000 will be processed in increments up to $250,000. For example, to protect your security, a withdrawal of $300,000 will be broken into two separate transactions ($250,000 and $50,000).
I've had nothing but good experiences with Marcus--deposits and withdrawals.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

feh wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:05 pm
HomeStretch wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:44 pm Here is a post in another thread about a Marcus wire issue for a mortgage:

Thanks.

Anybody have experience with Ally for a large transaction like this?
Yes, I have done it twice before (6 figure amount each time). Ally doesn't always complete the wire same day if you submit it too late in the day and/or they decide they want to call you to verify.

But I usually had a window of a few days to get the money to escrow so it was fine.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

feh wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:14 pm Will need to wire funds for a home purchase. I have accounts at Ally, Synchrony and Marcus, although most of the funds are at Marcus.

Anybody have personal experience with wiring large amounts from Marcus? If Ally or Synchrony have a smoother process, I could transfer funds out of Marcus and wire from Ally/Synchrony.

Thanks.
I have. Think you need to call Marcus to get a large wire done. Don't recall the exact cutoff, but I think anything over $100,000. Will be completed same day, but could be late that day. Never had an issue, other than it took longer than I expected.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
J295

Post by J295 »

Haven’t wired with Marcus but experience has been solid. Previously tried to wire with Ally and it’s a good thing I started early, as it took almost 2 weeks. Grade of F for Ally and no longer have any funds there. Not my first rodeo as I had wired many times previously in my professional life.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

J295 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:28 am Haven’t wired with Marcus but experience has been solid. Previously tried to wire with Ally and it’s a good thing I started early, as it took almost 2 weeks. Grade of F for Ally and no longer have any funds there. Not my first rodeo as I had wired many times previously in my professional life.
2 weeks?!? What happened? I have wired a few times out of Ally and it has always been same day or next business day.