Well paying non-desk based career fields

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
jumbopapa

Well paying non-desk based career fields

Post by jumbopapa »

Hi,

I currently work a desk job and make an excellent living (~$350k), but I'm 27 and terribly bored just sitting all day. Is there anything out there that pays well and allows me to be on my feet?

When I think about getting older and looking back at my life, I'm not very excited about the fact that I basically sit 8 hours a day everyday.

What other options are out there?
tibbitts

Re: Well paying non-desk based career fields

Post by tibbitts »

jumbopapa wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:18 pm Hi,

I currently work a desk job and make an excellent living (~$350k), but I'm 27 and terribly bored just sitting all day. Is there anything out there that pays well and allows me to be on my feet?

When I think about getting older and looking back at my life, I'm not very excited about the fact that I basically sit 8 hours a day everyday.

Sitting and being bored are almost always completely unrelated. If you want more help you should describe your job in much more detail.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

If it is just sitting, get a standing desk or a treadmill desk.

If your work is boring you, consider looking into career counseling.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Put a phone in your Ferrari and work from there.

Plenty of well-paying jobs as an Actor, Rock Star, Professional Sports Athlete.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Nathan Drake

Post by Nathan Drake »

What is your profession?
20% VOO | 20% VXUS | 20% AVUV | 20% AVDV | 20% AVES
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

DH's director tried to convince him that if he went into management he could spend less time at a desk. Evidently, the director takes plenty of meetings while walking around.
CletusCaddy

Post by CletusCaddy »

sailaway wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:41 pm DH's director tried to convince him that if he went into management he could spend less time at a desk. Evidently, the director takes plenty of meetings while walking around.
This is true. The higher up you go the less you are typing into a screen and the more you are in meetings just watching others present / talking.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Based on my recent electrician and plumber billings, a competent skilled trades person can easily earn six-figures per year, more if one runs a business with employees.
humblecoder

Post by humblecoder »

Honestly, the question is somewhat "lazy" for lack of a better word. It would be better if the OP did some introspection first to maybe narrow down the scope of the question.

That said, I'll play along :happy

This is off the top of my head, but here are some professions that are well paid that don't involve constant desk sitting....

Real estate agent
Medical field (doctor, nurse, medical tech, etc)
Lawyer (depends on the sub-specialty)
Civil engineer
Outside sales
Restaurant
Brick and mortar retail small business or franchise
Farmer (don't laugh... many do pretty well.. especially with the whole "farm to table"/organic/locally sourced movement)
Trades... I know a plumber who has a nicer house than I have!
Corporate trainer

I'm sure if you are creative, you can add to that list.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Professional athlete. Televangelist. Right-hand woman at a 94-person company. Lobbyist. Senator, bookmaker (where legal, of course).
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

humblecoder wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:03 pm

Honestly, the question is somewhat "lazy" for lack of a better word. It would be better if the OP did some introspection first to maybe narrow down the scope of the question.

This is off the top of my head, but here are some professions that are well paid that don't involve constant desk sitting....

Real estate agent
Civil engineer
Outside sales
Restaurant
Farmer (don't laugh... many do pretty well.. especially with the whole "farm to table"/organic/locally sourced movement)
Corporate trainer

Many of these jobs require winning the (profession) lottery to match OP's present income. Most practitioners make far less. The exception is probably MD.

If OP is bored he will eventually stop doing well enough to warrant that salary.
TJat

Post by TJat »

Have you considered a standing or treadmill desk? For $2000 or so, you can go top of the line.
MarkRoulo

Post by MarkRoulo »

It would help if you provide a cut-line for "pays well."

A lot of people think that $100K/year is paying well. You may not.

Note also that well paying jobs tend to have some combination of these:
  • Undesireability (e.g. danger, boredom, ..)
  • Rare skill
  • Luck
Underwater welding might fit your desire. It pays well and isn't done at a desk.

But the job requires a fair amount of skill that takes a while to acquire, often takes place at remote locations such as offshore oil rigs and if you screw up you can die.

So how much money is required for this hypothetical new job?
humblecoder

Post by humblecoder »

adamthesmythe wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:24 pm
humblecoder wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:03 pm

Real estate agent
Civil engineer
Outside sales
Restaurant
Corporate trainer

Many of these jobs require winning the (profession) lottery to match OP's present income. Most practitioners make far less. The exception is probably MD.

If OP is bored he will eventually stop doing well enough to warrant that salary.
Obviously, I did not interpret "well paid" to mean "same as current salary". But it is hard to interpret the OP's intent without clarification.

That further validates my point that this is a very lazy question. If the OP would care to clarify the meaning of this question, they will get much higher quality answers from the group.
Shackleton

Post by Shackleton »

HomeStretch wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:01 pm Based on my recent electrician and plumber billings, a competent skilled trades person can easily earn six-figures per year, more if one runs a business with employees.
I was recently in a locksmith shop, and they were hiring with a fairly large sign on bonus. I have no idea what it pays, but I thought it would be a good option for someone that wanted to work in the “trades” but not have the same level of physical requirements that a plumber or electrician requires. Of course, I may be wrong about the physicality of being a locksmith.
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

jumbopapa wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:18 pm I currently work a desk job and make an excellent living (~$350k), but I'm 27 and terribly bored just sitting all day. Is there anything out there that pays well and allows me to be on my feet?
You could start your own business. Maybe dog-walking would be a "pays well" job for you if you do enough of it. Perhaps be a tennis instructor.

If standing all day is your primary goal, consider retail sales, electrician, pharmacist, elementary school teacher, food service, welding.

Or just search for "jobs that require standing all day".
Last edited by JoeRetire on Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
Oh, noooooo! I'm so sorry, it's the moops! The correct answer is 'the moops'.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

Technology sales might ramp up the activity and pressure. There would be some desk time required, some phone time with a headset where you could move around, and some time traveling and meeting with clients.

Or, just get a remote job, and do what makes you happy when you're bored and have downtime.
Last edited by ClevrChico on Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Depends on your definition of "well-paying".

Surveyor
Park Ranger
Crossing Guard
Logger
Offshore Commercial Fisherman
Walking mail man/gal
Tour guide
Athlete
Gym trainer
Landscaper
Bricklayer
Window cleaner
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Retire early?
DrivingFun

Post by DrivingFun »

Can't help but feel that you all are falling for a troll post.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Keep your day job and find a hobby or other activities that are more fulfilling.

Why are you bored in your job? Some introspection might help you understand this better. It could be that you need to change your job to something in the same field that is more challenging. It would help if you gave us more information to respond to rather than us having to speculate.

$350k jobs are not common and you will be hard pressed to find jobs anywhere near that salary. That said, many of the trades can pay well: HVAC, plumbers, electricians, etc. Also, people who start their own trade business probably do a lot better.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

Haven't seen things like "electrician, welder, plumber, carpenter, HVAC, glazer," and any other skill that supports everyday life for other people. There are also I guess "government" type careers: police, fire, government, teacher, post office.

If I could go back in time and if I had had such a high paying job right out of college - I would have spent a handful of years socking away as much money as I could and if I discovered I didn't like my job or was experiencing discontent - I would start doing some soul searching/introspection and consider looking for another job in my "field" that seemed more fulfilling OR I would be exploring other job skills/paths and making the change. That "Big Pile of Money" would either be "front loading" of my retirement money or perhaps used to bridge me thru a shift of jobs within my original career choice (as in sometimes you have to take a pay cut and "start over" and start rebuilding your salary as you move up within the new area you are working).

I realized as I turned 40 that I didn't really want to work sitting at a desk until I was my FRA. Thankfully I had started getting my financial ducks in a row and "socking away money" in my mid 30's when the "discontent" first set in. I didn't change career paths. It took me quite a few years to accomplish getting my ducks in a row and to really be working the "plan" that would get me where I wanted to go. I'm not good at turning my life around on a dime. :) I think some people can just wake up in the morning, review their life over coffee, re align their financial life that afternoon, and then two days later have a new job and a new life. Not me.

For the OP - now is the time to do the introspection, to think about the future (beyond next year or the year after), to think about the ideas of "enough" or "purpose" or "fulfilled", and then come up with some long term goals - as in 5 or 10 or 20 years.
Also, trying out different hobbies/making new friends is a good thing. :)
Last edited by LittleMaggieMae on Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
NateH

Post by NateH »

Is this the job you started 6 months ago for double the compensation of your previous job?
I guess I'd recommend a side-hustle if you simply want to get out more.
Or start running or otherwise exercising?

At your comp level, you won't need to work there very long before you can downshift into something else.
4X top-twenty S&P 500 prognosticator. I'd start a newsletter, but it would only have one issue per year.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

DrivingFun wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:58 am Can't help but feel that you all are falling for a troll post.
Could be.

All of my family members who worked their entire lives on their feet are physically broken down now.
And as far as I can tell, none of them had the option of having a $350k/year desk job.

But I do feel bad for the poor OP... So bored they felt compelled to post here.
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

DrivingFun wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:58 am Can't help but feel that you all are falling for a troll post.
Yah. Or a razor-thinly veiled humble brag.
Supergrover

Post by Supergrover »

SubPar wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:25 am [quote=DrivingFun post_id=6882134 time=<a href="tel:1663851484">1663851484</a> user_id=3394]
Can't help but feel that you all are falling for a troll post.
Yah. Or a razor-thinly veiled humble brag.
[/quote]

Nothing humble about it. :shock:
tj

Post by tj »

You're not going to find a job in a different industry that pays you that much - period.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

To OP: (original poster, you)
Welcome to "thee forum".
Useful notes:
a) there's not enough information given to give any professional input that might be actionable and "directly apply to you" (not others).
(Except random assumptions and input and banter that may not be useful for you in a directly actionable and substantive way).. . per se.

age 27
earning 350k/year
bored
desk job
lacks direction, professional passion and focus, etc, etc?

3. Thus for now:
*(based on the proven life concept that change and inner peace and so forth comes first from "within", not thinking, not doing per se:)

Read:
(avail. Amazon softcover: get the softcover and read and underline and yellow marker and dog ear and memorize and read daily for 1-3 years).

"Life Strategy", "Life Code", by Dr. Phil McGraw
https://smile.amazon.com/Life-Strategie ... 168&sr=8-1
"As A Man Thinketh", by James Allen
https://smile.amazon.com/As-Man-Thinket ... 233&sr=8-4
"On the Shortness of Life" by Seneca
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B09 ... UTF8&psc=1
"Acres of Diamonds" by Russel Conwell
https://smile.amazon.com/Acres-Diamonds ... 148&sr=1-1
"Millionaire Next Door". . series, book 1.
https://smile.amazon.com/Millionaire-Ne ... 166&sr=1-1

To OP:
I hope this is helpful for you and actionable and substantive.
PM me as you wish.
j :D

dis laimer: zillions of options and paths and ways to do things and opinionizations based on nil to zero to extensive personal experience. This is only one.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

I hear you, I could never be at a desk all day or even inside all day...but you probably won't find another job paying $350k.
Topic Author
jumbopapa

Post by jumbopapa »

Thanks everyone for the replies. I was intentionally vague and I know I'm incredibly fortunate to earn the wage I am earning.

I think my biggest issue is everyone at my job seems so invested and to really like it, whereas with me a job is just a job. I don't want to put in overtime or think about work outside of work.

I think the answer is that if I want to keep earning the wage I'm earning, I'll have to keep doing this job. Anything else would probably mean a comp decrease.
Topic Author
jumbopapa

Post by jumbopapa »

Sandtrap wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:04 am

To OP: (original poster, you)
Welcome to "thee forum".
Useful notes:
a) there's not enough information given to give any professional input that might be actionable and "directly apply to you" (not others).
(Except random assumptions and input and banter that may not be useful for you in a directly actionable and substantive way).. . per se.

age 27
earning 350k/year
bored
desk job
lacks direction, professional passion and focus, etc, etc?

3. Thus for now:
*(based on the proven life concept that change and inner peace and so forth comes first from "within", not thinking, not doing per se:)

Read:
(avail. Amazon softcover: get the softcover and read and underline and yellow marker and dog ear and memorize and read daily for 1-3 years).

"Life Strategy", "Life Code", by Dr. Phil McGraw
https://smile.amazon.com/Life-Strategie ... 168&sr=8-1
"As A Man Thinketh", by James Allen
https://smile.amazon.com/As-Man-Thinket ... 233&sr=8-4
"On the Shortness of Life" by Seneca
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B09 ... UTF8&psc=1
"Acres of Diamonds" by Russel Conwell
https://smile.amazon.com/Acres-Diamonds ... 148&sr=1-1
"Millionaire Next Door". . series, book 1.
https://smile.amazon.com/Millionaire-Ne ... 166&sr=1-1

To OP:
I hope this is helpful for you and actionable and substantive.
PM me as you wish.
j :D

dis laimer: zillions of options and paths and ways to do things and opinionizations based on nil to zero to extensive personal experience. This is only one.
Thank you for the book suggestions! I have read The Millionaire Next Door, it's one of my favorites, I will check out the others too!

You hit the nail on the head saying I lack "professional passion," I couldn't put it better myself!
Joey Jo Jo Jr

Post by Joey Jo Jo Jr »

Any chance you could work part time and do enjoyable stuff with your free time, like jujitsu or posting on Bogleheads? I think the first 20 or so hours are actually fun and good for the soul. It’s the stuff after that goes downhill until you eventually reach a pit of despair.

Or maybe more of a thought experiment: how about train one of us to do your job for $250k and then keep the rest as a perpetual royalty? This is based on a person who was living in another country and hired a day laborer to help out at his house. He was feeling guilty about the going rate of $5 per day, so he gave the guy a $20 only to come back later to find the guy sitting in a hammock, watching another guy working at the standard daily rate.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

jumbopapa wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:33 am Thanks everyone for the replies. I was intentionally vague and I know I'm incredibly fortunate to earn the wage I am earning.

I think my biggest issue is everyone at my job seems so invested and to really like it, whereas with me a job is just a job. I don't want to put in overtime or think about work outside of work.

I think the answer is that if I want to keep earning the wage I'm earning, I'll have to keep doing this job. Anything else would probably mean a comp decrease.
Even adjusted for inflation, I made $350k exactly zero years in a 30 year tech career. I got close the last couple of years, but never got there. Most people working “outdoor” jobs, including nearly all the jobs mentioned in this thread, don’t make a third of what you’re making. And most people who have physical jobs start having problems with their bodies breaking down by the time they’re 50. Sometimes sooner.

I suspect that if you’re just not that into this job, your attitude will show up in your performance soon enough, so you might take some care with your spending, because the next job is likely to not pay as well.

My suggestion would be to try to get interested in your work. I had a family member who got a job in a “boring” field. He started as a temp, did the best he could with it despite the fact that it was, objectively, a pretty boring job in a boring industry, because it was the 2001-2003 recession and his previous career had gone the way of the buggy whip. As he learned the business, it became more interesting, and he moved into more interesting roles. For the last decade or so he’s been doing really interesting and innovative work at the forefront of his industry. He’s currently a SVP at a midsize company, and in high demand as a conference speaker.

My second suggestion would be to develop a life outside of work. Your coworkers are wrong about that one if they’re working 24/7. You should figure out how to compartmentalize, go all out on work while you’re there, but leave it at the doorstep when you leave. A couple of outdoor hobbies or activities outside of work might scratch that itch you have to be outdoors.
Last edited by quantAndHold on Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

World champion boxer pays well, although that requires sitting if you can’t finish the job in the first 3 minutes.
strummer6969

Post by strummer6969 »

I would gladly park my butt for 8 hours a day for $350K...

What field are you in? I'm guessing IT.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

jumbopapa wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:33 am Thanks everyone for the replies. I was intentionally vague and I know I'm incredibly fortunate to earn the wage I am earning.

We all have to decide our own priorities.

For me, we work too many years to be unhappy at the job. I would find a new job, and potentially a new career.
Topic Author
jumbopapa

Post by jumbopapa »

strummer6969 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:16 am I would gladly park my butt for 8 hours a day for $350K...

I'm a software engineer.
celia

Post by celia »

Parenting (although it doesn’t pay well financially, but has other benefits)

This is best if you/ your spouse also has another job to cover the expenses.
:D
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

I was able to survive for a long time in the IT world liking, but usually not *loving* my job. I made a decision not to work nights and weekends unless absolutely necessary (sometimes it was, but not that often). It's mostly a choice not to think about work when you leave the office; that is true of any job where you actually care about doing quality work; it's easy to get sucked into after hours pondering "I need to finish this, what are we going to do about that." There are also roles where co-workers and bosses think it okay to email or message at all hours, but thankfully I was usually able to avoid such roles and teams.

My office had showers, so I could get off my butt and go running at lunch. Or go to the gym. Weekends and after work I was outside. During the day I made a point of walking around at the office. I probably ate at my desk too much, versus with co-workers.

Some engineers do lateral things like move to more customer-facing roles (system engineer type work). Look at other companies. Perhaps more enjoyable roles are available. Obviously change projects periodically to reduce boredom within a company.

If you really are not enjoying coding or whatever your specific major role is, then yeah, you just need to figure out what the career switch should be. With a 350k salary, you have room to take a somewhat less lucrative path.
strummer6969

Post by strummer6969 »

jumbopapa wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:35 am
strummer6969 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:16 am I would gladly park my butt for 8 hours a day for $350K...

I'm a software engineer.
Sorry I didn't mean to be facetious. I hate the sitting part of my job also (not in tech) but what makes it tolerable is that I have busy seasons/projects and lots of free time outside of that. I can see how sitting 8 hours a day for the rest of your life could be depressing. I've tried working on a standing desk but I never was able to get used to it. Maybe see if that works for you.

If the job is tolerable other than the sitting, what about adding in physical activity before/after work (gym, running, etc.)? Or working up to a higher level position in the company where you'd spend less time at the desk? I think that quitting in this environment could turn out to be a poor move.
tj

Post by tj »

You could start a business educating people how to gain these skills to earn said big bucks. If I could make $350k/year for a few years, it would knock significant time off my career.
TheBeanCounter

Post by TheBeanCounter »

There are industries that pay well and allow you to get out of the office and "on site". I work in the manufacturing industry for a Fortune 100 company and our median pay last year was about $140k (keep in mind that includes thousands of hourly workers). I know the large oil and gas companies have similar, if not higher median pay. Jobs making $350k certainly will have a desk component but even my big bosses who make significantly more than that still get to go to the actual manufacturing facilities quite regularly.

Working a desk job myself, having the ability to throw on a hardhat and boots and tromp around when I want to is pretty fun actually. There are definitely industries out there that have a ceiling high enough for your earnings and could provide you a break from the monotony of desk work.
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

I'm a software engineer.
I don't know where you're living, or what your expenses are, but if I was earning $350k per year in a field I wasn't crazy about, I'd probably be saving at least 50% of my income, if not more. In other words, start living inexpensively, save a ton, gain financial independence, then go get a job you actually enjoy.

Regards,
This is one person's opinion. Nothing more.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

A well paid father, single income in a family of 4 in the US makes $60k. So I guess if you are single, $30k is very well off. Look for jobs paying that much and just do what you want. I've been working since I turned 16 in 1973, have 3 technical degrees, several patents and more publications than I can count and have barely ever made over $200k in a great year. At times I've been more bored than you can even imagine and I sucked it up and dealt with it until I found a better opportunity. I did move away from a desk job, going from being a lead technologist engineer at a large tech (hardware) company to a field engineering job advising customers what to use and how to implement my company's parts. Lots of traveling, first on airplanes and later with a bigger company just in a car. I talk with other engineers, the most fun being military companies who first "test" me in the lobby before even letting me in. My extensive design background means I pass these tests with flying colors. Is there such jobs in your field? My salary stayed the same but bonuses were added that vary between an extra 10% and an extra 100%. You're not going to make $350k doing this. Maybe $200k if you're really good at it.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I'm a software engineer.
Then I’m doubly sure that you won’t have this problem for long. The places where people make $350k as coders expect people to be good at their jobs, and if you’re bored, you probably aren’t all that good at it.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

quantAndHold wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:36 am

I'm a software engineer.
Then I’m doubly sure that you won’t have this problem for long. The places where people make $350k as coders expect people to be good at their jobs, and if you’re bored, you probably aren’t all that good at it.
Or very good
Pierre-Simon Laplace’s original phrase for expected value was “mathematical hope.”
snowday2022

Post by snowday2022 »

quantAndHold wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:36 am

I'm a software engineer.
The coming recession will solve OPs problem.
Watty

Post by Watty »

jumbopapa wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:18 pm When I think about getting older and looking back at my life, I'm not very excited about the fact that I basically sit 8 hours a day everyday.

I'm a software engineer.
Retired software developer here.

I mostly worked in Corporate IT and I was always well paid but I never made anywhere near that about of money since the pay was not like that even when I worked in Silicon Valley 40 years ago when I was about your age. Even 20 years ago the pay was nothing like that. (Hitting a startup stock option lottery jackpot has always been an exception.)

I suspect that 10 or 20 years from now the salaries for software developers will somewhat revert to the norm and become more normal. By that I mean they might be comparable to what someone like an engineer might make.

Right now you are making as much as many high level executives make at many good size non-tech companies. You need to realize how rare and exceptional that is.

Milk it for all you can now and try to keep your living expenses modest.

If you are able to keep your income up until you are 35 you should be financially independent and have lots of options then.

There is also a very real risk that by the time you are 40 that such high paying jobs will be very hard for you to get even if the pay is that high then. At 27 you are only 13 years from being 40 so you may not have a lot of your prime earning years left.

I lost track of most of the people that I worked with when I was your age but I would guess that by the time the people I worked with were 40 that maybe half of them no longer worked in a technical IT job. This was mainly the result of;

1) Getting into management and out of a technical roll.

2) Getting laid off and never being able to find another job at the same level. Some of them were not even bad software developers it was just that they were unlucky and got laid off in a recession when virtually no one was hiring and after being out of the field for a couple of years it becomes real hard to find a good IT job.

3) Deciding to go into a different field. I know one guy who decided leave computers to make pottery that he sold at street fairs where I saw him several times. My impression was that it was not even moderately successful financially and he was not very happy doing that since he had to treat it like a business and not a fun hobby.

I'm not saying that you will be broke an unemployable as you get older it is just that by then your current skills may not be the hot ticket they are now and you may be happy to find a job that pays $150k a year which is still very good pay even in a high cost of living area.

Like I said, milk it for all you can while it lasts.
jumbopapa wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:18 pm When I think about getting older and looking back at my life, I'm not very excited about the fact that I basically sit 8 hours a day everyday.
You might want to consider getting some counseling to figure out what could make your situation work better.

Part of the problem is that you may have unrealistic expectations about how much fulfillment you can get from a job and you need may need to look at your life outside your work for fulfilment.

Reading between the lines I would assume that you are single. You might want to talk to a counselor about how to develop a better social life outside work to get more fulfilment in your life.

At that said one thing you might consider is if you can find a job where you can take some pride in what the company is doing. Startups can be exciting but demanding.

There are also lots of companies that do things that help people and make the world a better place that you can feel proud of.

I worked over half of my career at the same company and some of the work might not have been real exciting at times but it was in an essential industry which I can guarantee everyone here uses regularly even though 99.9% of people have never heard of that company. Even now that I am retired I can look back with some pride knowing that in some small way my work helped hundreds of millions of people.

It does not need to be a huge thing like that like that either. Knowing that you made a difference in some nitche can also be rewarding.
Watty

Post by Watty »

whodidntante wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:13 pm Professional athlete. Televangelist. Right-hand woman at a 94-person company. Lobbyist. Senator, bookmaker (where legal, of course).
Senators make $174,000 year which is just less than half what the OP makes.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Watty wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:18 pm
whodidntante wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:13 pm Professional athlete. Televangelist. Right-hand woman at a 94-person company. Lobbyist. Senator, bookmaker (where legal, of course).
Senators make $174,000 year which is just less than half what the OP makes.
Base salary isn't everything ;)
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham