When to replace House Roof?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
topaz318

When to replace House Roof?

Post by topaz318 »

Hello, I bought a single family house last year which was built in 1998. The inspector told me that I should plan on replacing the roof next year. There are no issues with the roof currently. However, couple of insurance companies declined to insure the house because of the age of the roof. But I was able to get Geico to insure me - perhaps they are charging me more in premium.

1. That being said, should I replace the roof next year or wait?
2. Also, how do I get started on "shopping" for a new roof?

Thank you!
turtlebug

Re: When to replace House Roof?

Post by turtlebug »

If it was me and there are no issues with the roof, I would not replace it until absolutely necessary. At that time, I would ask friends/neighbors for referrals and look at nextdoor for local recommendations before securing several estimates.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

You'll need to figure out if there are long lead times for roofing in your area. You don't want to have to pay rush rates.

Ideally we'd replace our roofs just before they leak. However, there isn't a good way of determining when they'll leak. But we can check the roof yearly and get a sense of how bad or not it is.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

An inspector's comments along with a couple of insurers refusing to insure a roof would be a red flag to me. Start asking neighbors for recommendations. Check out yelp reviews online. Ask your realtor for local suggestions. The last thing you want to do is to call in December right after a deluge has hit and you have water inside the house. The time to shop around is now.
LiveItUpBySaving

Post by LiveItUpBySaving »

I had this issue with my roof that was last replaced in 1996/1997 or so.

My roof works fine. No leaks that I've seen, and I had the roof inspected.

Some insurers don't want to take the risk, some do. Use the ones that do.

Why blow money for no particular reason?

The day I fix/replace the roof is when it has visible damage, has an active leak, or when insuring it becomes impossible.
MP123

Post by MP123 »

Get three quotes, I was surprised by the range of prices from different roofers even using the same materials.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

What kind of roof? Tile, asphalt, flat roof?
Topic Author
topaz318

Post by topaz318 »

runner3081 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:52 pm What kind of roof? Tile, asphalt, flat roof?
asphalt roof.
DebiT

Post by DebiT »

When I bought my house 2 years ago during Covid, I was told the roof only had a couple of years left. I replaced it , figuring why wait for a leak and inside paint damage? It was obviously degraded, with “silt” or whatever you would call it coming off. I figured it was in my near future regardless, and that waiting would cost me more in other issues, not less.
Age 64, life turned upside down 3/2/19, thanking God for what I've learned from this group.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

topaz318 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:28 pm Hello, I bought a single family house last year which was built in 1998. The inspector told me that I should plan on replacing the roof next year.

Did the inspector say why? Did they take pictures and show you how worn your roof is, or where to expect leaks to occur? How well do you know and trust the inspector?

When you look at the roof yourself, how does it look? Are chunks missing? Any leaks so far?

While it's getting to the age where roofs may need replacing and you've gotten several professional indications already, I would wait if everything looks solid. But I would make sure I personally looked at the entire roof outside and inside very closely myself first.
Last edited by JoeRetire on Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is gonna be my time. Time to taste the fruits and let the juices drip down my chin. I proclaim this: The Summer of George!
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

If you live in a development with all houses built at the same time with the same materials, maybe ask what other people have done with their roofs. Or get a few opinions, although you won't get a lot of roofers telling you not to replace a 20+yr-old roof. When I replaced mine in late 2021 there were significant shortages of materials. I didn't have the normal choice of materials and colors. Before the pandemic I never would have thought about that; now for the rest of my life I guess I'll assume there's another pandemic just around the corner with all the attendant shortages of materials and labor. So I'd have visions of cutting up vegetable cans to make roofing material, and probably if I could get the roof I wanted now (and I planned to stay in the house, etc.) I'd be tempted to get it. I'm assuming you have roof coverage for cash value only not replacement value, so there's no point in waiting for a disaster to damage the roof.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

DebiT wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:15 pm When I bought my house 2 years ago during Covid, I was told the roof only had a couple of years left. I replaced it , figuring why wait for a leak and inside paint damage? It was obviously degraded, with “silt” or whatever you would call it coming off. I figured it was in my near future regardless, and that waiting would cost me more in other issues, not less.
Those are my sentiments, too. Once you have the inside damage from a leak, you now have two problems to deal with. And, with inflation and material and labor shortages, it most likely will cost you more a year or two later, and then you may have to wait while the leak continues to mess up your interior. And finally, you'll find that your insurance is much easier to get once you have a new roof.

An ounce of prevention . . .
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

tibbitts wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:23 pm If you live in a development with all houses built at the same time with the same materials, maybe ask what other people have done with their roofs.
That's a terrific suggestion!
This is gonna be my time. Time to taste the fruits and let the juices drip down my chin. I proclaim this: The Summer of George!
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

topaz318 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:28 pm Hello, I bought a single family house last year which was built in 1998. The inspector told me that I should plan on replacing the roof next year. There are no issues with the roof currently. However, couple of insurance companies declined to insure the house because of the age of the roof. But I was able to get Geico to insure me - perhaps they are charging me more in premium.

Thank you!
You might want to get a second opinion. If they concur, start the bidding process. You do not want to be in the situation of getting a leak -- which can happen out of nowhere -- and then rushing to find someone. You might even have small leaks now in the attic that you can't see.

I had mine done October 2021. I called 4 companies. Only 2 called me back. 2500 sq ft estimated, asphalt, with one small section with rubber, cost me $16,800. (Only one layer of existing shingles.) The other quote was $19,800. This was before the GAF anticipated price increase.

Based on what friends has paid in the past I was expecting $10-$12k.

If you don't like the prices you're getting now, you can try again in the early spring. Maybe the economy will have softened by then.
deikel

Post by deikel »

I had the exact same, when I bought the house the inspector mentioned that there may be only 2 years life left on the roof...well it looked OK to me.

12 years later we now did replace the roof for a metal roof (real replace, not just add on) because it was relatively cheap during the pandemic to do business with them and we did improve the insulation.

When they teared down the roof, the comment was that one side of the garage was indeed bad, the rest of the house was actually still OK, no leaks, no problems with the underlayment ect - but some of the tiles were broken off in wind, so they would have given it another 2-5 years for the house side and the garage side was overdue some years - luckily, no damage yet.

I think I got maximum value out of that roof and the inspector was guessing like the rest of them...and I saved 10 years worth of depreciation.
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

The thing with replacing a roof "when you absolutely need it" is how do know when a leak will occur with the next storm - so that you can replace it before that storm happens? :)

Or if you do you go up on the roof and check it every year - for damage and go by that?

if you can routinely check your attic - you can check the attic after rain storms (or do a spring thaw check and a late summer after a storm check) to see if you have any small just starting leaks.

You can do spring and fall exterior checks - do your best to see if the shingles are curling if you have an asphalt single roof (I think it's harder to do this with the new architectural asphalt shingles). If you've got curling shingles - it's time for a new roof.

If you can't do that - then you can always wait for signs that you do have a roof leak water by noticing the stains on a ceiling (or peeling paint on a wall or ceiling) the ceiling MIGHT be your basement ceiling if the water is going down an interior wall and winding it way down without effect a wall or ceiling on the upper floors. Or you might not notice a problem until you have an indoor water feature with water cascading from the damaged roof into your home.
Either way - you know you need a new roof AND you need to repair the interior of your home. :)

To decide when to pre-emptively replace your roof - before it leaks - consider the type of shingles. I'm most familiar with asphalt shingles that come in 25, 30, 35 year "life" spans. If there haven't been yearly "bad storms" with constant high winds as in micro bursts or tornados and yearly hail storms (or a hail storm that was out of the ordinary) a asphalt shingle roof will probably need to be replaced sometime between it's life span - 5 years and it's lifespan year. So, for a 25 year old roof with no problems - start planning to replace the roof sometime in the next 5 years. If you are want to avoid a leak - do the roof replacement at your convenience but sooner than later.

The nice thing about replacing an old roof soon after you move in - is if you live in the house for 10 or 20 or more years - YOU get all the roofy goodness from the money you spent. :) You get to choose the type and quality and color of the roof that will be "your house" for the years you live in it. Rather than someone else's choice or lowest end shingles because they will only be there 5 years or so...

As for "shopping for a new roof" here are some clues:
1.) you may need to know how many "roofs" are on your roof... depending on local codes you might be able to have 3 "roofs" before you need to tear off the 3 old roofs to put on a 4th one (now the new 1st roof). In my area - you can have 2 "roofs" on your house before you have to tear them both off before the new roof can go on. When the roofer comes to give you an estimate they may be able to tell from the ground how many roofs are on your house. It's good to know the local codes... so if the roofer says they MUST tear off the single old roof - you will know if that's true or not. You might WANT them to do a tear off of the single roof - but they don't have to do it. Well, maybe if you have some sort of special shingles...

2.) roofs are measured in "squares" - or 10 foot by 10 foot squares. You can guessitmate how many squares of roof you have if you like to do math and think it thru. Roofers charge by the square and by how many peaks and valleys your roof may have. If you have a mcmansion with lots of different roof slopes and lots of peaks and valleys - it will add to the cost.

3.) if you have an estimate for how many squares your roof is - you can guestimate the cost for materials looking at shingles prices/coverage on a Big Box Store website. and then add some for ice dam stuff and chimney flashing... and you can guesstimate the cost of labor - on how many days the workers will need to do the work. This isn't a perfect estimate but it can help you NOT have sticker shock when you are thinking it should be 5K - but then you do some math and looking at the cost of materials and your in your head "estimate" is 5K - that means the real estimate will be more...

4.) if your old roof(s) will be torn off - there will be a charge for the dumpster and disposal.
5.) if your old roof(s) will be torn off - the roofer will most like make any repairs/replacement of the plywood underlayment that has rotted or is damaged in some way. there is a charge for this. My 75 year old house doesn't have plywood - it's got planks of wood. Thankfully, I only had about 4 feet of the "planking" that needed to be replaced.

6.) make sure the roofer pulls a permit for the work (especially if you are in Florida). The roofer may indicate the cost for the permit as part of the estimate.

You should think about what color you want your roof to be. If you want fancy architectural shingles or just old fashion asphalt (or if you want to put on a metal roof). You might also want to give some thought to putting solar panels on the roof in the nearish future. I'm guessing if you don't have an electric car today - in 10 years you will.

If you have tile roof... I can't help you... everything above may be worthless - except the info about the "squares" as the unit of measure for roofs.
mikeyzito22

Post by mikeyzito22 »

Question (a little off topic?):

If i have $20,000 saved up for replacing my roof and the roofing companies said I would need to do it in 3-5 years, where should I put that $? Treasuries matching duration? Index fund in taxable and see how it goes? HYSA?
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

mikeyzito22 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:33 pm Question (a little off topic?):

If i have $20,000 saved up for replacing my roof and the roofing companies said I would need to do it in 3-5 years, where should I put that $? Treasuries matching duration? Index fund in taxable and see how it goes? HYSA?
It $20k a big deal for you? (It is for me, but many people around talk about $100,000 as if it were $50.)

If it's not a big deal, you could take more risk.

If it's kind of a big deal, maybe a short-term bond fund?

If it's a huge deal, then Treasuries, CDs, or HYSA. I bonds if you don't already have them.

If you have a 401k with a stable value fund, one option is move $20k in your 401k to that and then invest the $20k in whatever you just sold. When it comes time to use the money, reverse it.
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:27 pm
DebiT wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:15 pm When I bought my house 2 years ago during Covid, I was told the roof only had a couple of years left. I replaced it , figuring why wait for a leak and inside paint damage? It was obviously degraded, with “silt” or whatever you would call it coming off. I figured it was in my near future regardless, and that waiting would cost me more in other issues, not less.
Those are my sentiments, too. Once you have the inside damage from a leak, you now have two problems to deal with. And, with inflation and material and labor shortages, it most likely will cost you more a year or two later, and then you may have to wait while the leak continues to mess up your interior. And finally, you'll find that your insurance is much easier to get once you have a new roof.

An ounce of prevention . . .
Thirded. My last roof replacement happened when we had 3 places of failure during one rainstorm, during the Christmas holidays, one day before we were set to leave for a 2 week international trip. I would have paid a small fortune to have avoided that mess. Not just physical, but also the stress.

I'm about to replace a roof that has no leaks, but is showing signs of wear, and where inspectors have pointed out possible failure points. Sure I could wait, but I've been down that road.
London

Post by London »

I proactively replaced mine a couple months ago. House was built in 2000 (asphalt shingles). We had a few small issues but I wanted to get ahead of it. I originally got quotes last fall. Each provider has raised their price about 5% by the time this June came around. I guess that was to be expected.

I also had all boards wrapped in aluminum and some new chimney caps. I figure that I’ll never have to worry about it for the rest of the time I’m in this house. That’s worth something to me.
mikeyzito22

Post by mikeyzito22 »

exodusNH wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:00 pm

It $20k a big deal for you? (It is for me, but many people around talk about $100,000 as if it were $50.)

If it's a huge deal, then Treasuries, CDs, or HYSA. I bonds if you don't already have them.

If you have a 401k with a stable value fund, one option is move $20k in your 401k to that and then invest the $20k in whatever you just sold. When it comes time to use the money, reverse it.
Well I suppose its not really a big deal. However, it seems Bogleheads would want me to maintain principal for anything within five years. Thanks!
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

mikeyzito22 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:36 pm

Well I suppose its not really a big deal. However, it seems Bogleheads would want me to maintain principal for anything within five years. Thanks!
That's because over 5 years, you could take it on the chin. It's really up to you as to how aggressive you want to be with these funds.
mikeyzito22

Post by mikeyzito22 »

exodusNH wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:41 pm

That's because over 5 years, you could take it on the chin. It's really up to you as to how aggressive you want to be with these funds.
I'm getting confused here. Treasuries are yielding %3.15 approximately for 12-26 months. Meanwhile short term bonds are down %4.25 for the year. Treasuries have no principal risk. Do you still endorse a short term bond fund?
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

mikeyzito22 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:02 pm

I'm getting confused here. Treasuries are yielding %3.15 approximately for 12-26 months. Meanwhile short term bonds are down %4.25 for the year. Treasuries have no principal risk. Do you still endorse a short term bond fund?
It has a 2ish year duration. The math will work. Eventually, short term bonds will yield a similar amount. They're down because interest rates went from zero to 3 percent.

If rates wind up rising faster than the market is predicting, they're not a good choice.

Again, it depends on your risk tolerance. Which would make you feel worse: holding a Treasury at 3.15% when new issues are 5%, or losing 2% of principal in a bond fund, but getting the 5% yield?

Note that if you might have to sell your Treasury before it matures, you'll experience the same loss of principal as a bond fund of the same duration as the remaining maturity of the Treasury if interest rates rise.
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

Assuming you have 30-year shingles (which is roof life without being exposed to any of the real world elements) now is good since the roof is 24 years old.

When you do replace your roof remember to contact your insurance and tell them the date the roof was replaced so they can update the details in your policy.
Mid-40’s
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

topaz318 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:28 pm Hello, I bought a single family house last year which was built in 1998. The inspector told me that I should plan on replacing the roof next year. There are no issues with the roof currently. However, couple of insurance companies declined to insure the house because of the age of the roof. But I was able to get Geico to insure me - perhaps they are charging me more in premium.

Thank you!
Started a thread on this topic over a year ago. Got more than 50 replies. May be informative for you in addition to the responses above.

Would (did) you preemptively replace your Roof Shingles...
viewtopic.php?p=5937377&hilit=roof#p5937377
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
RobLyons

Post by RobLyons »

I hope you were able to negotiate with prior owners based on the roof age. I would start planning to replace the roof. I would imagine discovering it needs replacement during a major rainstorm would not be a fun discovery. And these days, lead times for most contractors are 6-12 months+. Get 3 quotes and go with the one you feel best about.
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

not just about the cheapest quote, go with a quality shingle. An upgrade to a heavier shingle is worth the cost depending where you live.
wander

Post by wander »

The sign, that you need to do something with the roof, comes from the ground where you see pieces of your roof when cutting the grass.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

My roof was replaced in 1999, so is 23 years old now. It has architectural roof shingles - Googling for them shows they should last 30 years. I can not see any damage from outside looking up, but a roofer told me shingles need replacement. It could be that Architectural shingles might look worn from the street due to their design. So I think I will climb onto the roof and take a look by myself, but probably I should think about replacement when 30 years old.
I got an estimate for replacement from the web = $24,600., but last year a local roofing company wanted to do it for $10k.
mikeyzito22

Post by mikeyzito22 »

exodusNH wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:17 pm
mikeyzito22 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:02 pm

It has a 2ish year duration. The math will work. Eventually, short term bonds will yield a similar amount. They're down because interest rates went from zero to 3 percent.

If rates wind up rising faster than the market is predicting, they're not a good choice.

Again, it depends on your risk tolerance. Which would make you feel worse: holding a Treasury at 3.15% when new issues are 5%, or losing 2% of principal in a bond fund, but getting the 5% yield?

Note that if you might have to sell your Treasury before it matures, you'll experience the same loss of principal as a bond fund of the same duration as the remaining maturity of the Treasury if interest rates rise.
I suppose i wouldn't care what new issues were. I would hold to maturity.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Thank you!
to op:

suggest.....

everyone has various roof experiences on their own or friends homes.
so.....
get advice from licensed roofing contractor professionals who evaluate roofs for a living.

to op:
get 3 estimates to reroof your roof and at the same time while they are there and physically walking on your roof, get their feedback on the condition and life left.

licensed roofing contractor’s level of expertise can dwarf your home inspector who studied and passed the home inspector license test for example.

to op
i hope this is helpful
j🌴
(standard dislamer for opinionizations and so forth)
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
NabSh

Post by NabSh »

It seems like the home inspector did not find any issues and simply made the statement about roof replacement based expected life of the roof. 20-25 years is an estimated life of a roof in my state

If you can:
1) Get some estimate about the cost of roof replacement. This way you can budget for it I did find about 20% price difference between the big name brand roofing companies. I figured this is because of sales rep, as they are commission based.
2) Do a yearly inspection of the Roof. (yourself or by a trusted contractor)
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

There are no easy answers. You can replace it before it's truly necessary to do so, but you might be able to get a few more years of use from it. However, if you wait until it's truly necessary to replace it before you do, damage may be done from a leak, and you might have to pay considerably more for the job.

If a home inspector said it needed to be replaced, and the roof is reaching the end of its useful lifespan, I'd preemptively replace it.
I have left the forum but occasionally check PMs.
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

I echo the sentiment of getting 3 estimates and seeing what they say. Remember these people are salesmen and they want you to replace your roof ASAP.
That being said, if the roof is showing legitimate signs of aging, and its around the expected lifespan, I'd think about replacing it. I'd rather do that now and have another 25-30 years than deal with replacing the roof AND repairing damage from a leak.
UALflyer

Post by UALflyer »

LiveItUpBySaving wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:38 pm Some insurers don't want to take the risk, some do. Use the ones that do.

Why blow money for no particular reason?

The day I fix/replace the roof is when it has visible damage, has an active leak, or when insuring it becomes impossible.
In a lot of states, insurers that would issue coverage for an older roof like this would only provide ACV (actual cash value) coverage, which factors in depreciation. In practical terms, this means that there would be very little, if any, coverage, as the roof would be completely or almost completely depreciated.

A lot of active leaks aren't immediately apparent. These types of latent leaks end up doing quite a bit of damage and can significantly exacerbate your roof replacement costs down the road, whereby you'd be penny wise but pound foolish.
CoastLawyer2030

Post by CoastLawyer2030 »

I'm largely convinced home inspectors exist in part to create a bunch of home improvement projects that are "urgent" that really aren't.
UALflyer

Post by UALflyer »

CoastLawyer2030 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:07 am I'm largely convinced home inspectors exist in part to create a bunch of home improvement projects that are "urgent" that really aren't.
Most home inspectors are actually the exact opposite, which is the very reason that people should not be using home inspectors recommended by their real estate agents.

Real estate agents' primary focus is in ensuring that the sale goes through, so a lot of them only recommend home inspectors that gloss over and downplay various issues.

Having said that, if a home inspector only made the statement about the roof based upon its age, it's one thing. If, however, he actually inspected it, I would take it very seriously (and the age is certainly at a point where a replacement would generally be recommended, although it obviously depends on the type of roof that the OP has and how it was installed, as well as the environmental factors in the area).
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

I would get quotes and see what the cost is. Construction costs are very high — whether it be because of inflation or contractors taking advantage of “high pricing” or some combination. I would expect to pay 50% more than you would have 3 years ago. I have no clue if these prices are the new normal, or if risking it and waiting a year or two will save you significant money.
CoastLawyer2030

Post by CoastLawyer2030 »

UALflyer wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:15 am
CoastLawyer2030 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:07 am I'm largely convinced home inspectors exist in part to create a bunch of home improvement projects that are "urgent" that really aren't.
Most home inspectors are actually the exact opposite, which is the very reason that people should not be using home inspectors recommended by their real estate agents.

Real estate agents' primary focus is in ensuring that the sale goes through, so a lot of them only recommend home inspectors that gloss over and downplay various issues.

Having said that, if a home inspector only made the statement about the roof based upon its age, it's one thing. If, however, he actually inspected it, I would take it very seriously (and the age is certainly at a point where a replacement would generally be recommended, although it obviously depends on the type of roof that the OP has and how it was installed, as well as the environmental factors in the area).
I am biased from a couple bad experiences. At my last house the inspector said "you need to fix A, B, and C right away." Had three general contractors come out and look and all three said these suggestions were crazy.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

UALflyer wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:15 am

Depends on who hired the home inspector and what purpose the inspection was for.
masteraleph

Post by masteraleph »

I saw someone else mention solar- if you have any interest in doing that, then any reputable installer is going to tell you they won't do it without a new roof- it's one thing to install solar panels with an expected 25 year life on a roof with a 15 year expected lifespan remaining, but if your house is standard shingles and the roof was installed in 1998, you're already past the expected lifespan of the roof.

Depending on the roofer, they may be able to use a drone to check the roof out and point out if/why they think there are issues.
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

Add me to the list of replacing the roof before it leaks. Unless you like mold, plaster/drywall work, painting, etc.

Water can do an unbelievable amount of damage if not caught immediately.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

killjoy2012 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:31 am Add me to the list of replacing the roof before it leaks. Unless you like mold, plaster/drywall work, painting, etc.

Water can do an unbelievable amount of damage if not caught immediately.
I would say that your lucky if it leaks enough that you see it inside the house.

The bigger danger is a leak that makes it though the roof but not enough to make it into the living space. You have a real mold danger in that situation.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:04 pm

Thank you!
to op:

suggest.....

so.....
get advice from licensed roofing contractor professionals who evaluate roofs for a living.

to op:
get 3 estimates to reroof your roof and at the same time while they are there and physically walking on your roof, get their feedback on the condition and life left.

licensed roofing contractor’s level of expertise can dwarf your home inspector who studied and passed the home inspector license test for example.

to op
i hope this is helpful
j🌴
I agree 100% with Jim's ^^^ advice. Get 3 estimates and opinion's from reputable roofing contractor's. Having owned 6 homes in the past 35 year and having replaced several roofs, this is your best approach. Ideally, you do want to replace it before it actually needs to be replaced.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

willthrill81 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:28 pm There are no easy answers. You can replace it before it's truly necessary to do so, but you might be able to get a few more years of use from it. However, if you wait until it's truly necessary to replace it before you do, damage may be done from a leak, and you might have to pay considerably more for the job.

If a home inspector said it needed to be replaced, and the roof is reaching the end of its useful lifespan, I'd preemptively replace it.
This is good advice in my view.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Dave55 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:52 am
Sandtrap wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:04 pm

Thank you!
to op:

suggest.....

so.....

to op:

to op
i hope this is helpful
j🌴
I agree 100% with Jim's ^^^ advice. Get 3 estimates and opinion's from reputable roofing contractor's. Having owned 6 homes in the past 35 year and having replaced several roofs, this is your best approach. Ideally, you do want to replace it before it actually needs to be replaced.

Dave
Yes.

There are tons of "home inspector certification course" and go out on your own business and make money in your spare time for Realtors and so forth. Sort of like the R/E sales licensing courses and be your own boss thing.

I've know and met and worked with "home inspectors" for Realtor's etc, for many decades every since there was no such thing as a "certified licensed "Home Inspector". . . and results vary. . . but.. . hands on contractor builder experience as a "licensed home inspector" is rare. . . many have never built anything themselves professionally, etc.

So. . to op: tread carefully.

Metaphorically:
Like many things and so many things. . .there are those that talk and talk and talk the talk (knower and commenter on all things). . but few that walk the talk and fewer still that walk well with very little talking.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

LittleMaggieMae wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:21 pm The thing with replacing a roof "when you absolutely need it" is how do know when a leak will occur with the next storm - so that you can replace it before that storm happens? :)

Or if you do you go up on the roof and check it every year - for damage and go by that?

if you can routinely check your attic - you can check the attic after rain storms (or do a spring thaw check and a late summer after a storm check) to see if you have any small just starting leaks.

You can do spring and fall exterior checks - do your best to see if the shingles are curling if you have an asphalt single roof (I think it's harder to do this with the new architectural asphalt shingles). If you've got curling shingles - it's time for a new roof.

If you can't do that - then you can always wait for signs that you do have a roof leak water by noticing the stains on a ceiling (or peeling paint on a wall or ceiling) the ceiling MIGHT be your basement ceiling if the water is going down an interior wall and winding it way down without effect a wall or ceiling on the upper floors. Or you might not notice a problem until you have an indoor water feature with water cascading from the damaged roof into your home.
Either way - you know you need a new roof AND you need to repair the interior of your home. :)

To decide when to pre-emptively replace your roof - before it leaks - consider the type of shingles. I'm most familiar with asphalt shingles that come in 25, 30, 35 year "life" spans. If there haven't been yearly "bad storms" with constant high winds as in micro bursts or tornados and yearly hail storms (or a hail storm that was out of the ordinary) a asphalt shingle roof will probably need to be replaced sometime between it's life span - 5 years and it's lifespan year. So, for a 25 year old roof with no problems - start planning to replace the roof sometime in the next 5 years. If you are want to avoid a leak - do the roof replacement at your convenience but sooner than later.

The nice thing about replacing an old roof soon after you move in - is if you live in the house for 10 or 20 or more years - YOU get all the roofy goodness from the money you spent. :) You get to choose the type and quality and color of the roof that will be "your house" for the years you live in it. Rather than someone else's choice or lowest end shingles because they will only be there 5 years or so...

As for "shopping for a new roof" here are some clues:
1.) you may need to know how many "roofs" are on your roof... depending on local codes you might be able to have 3 "roofs" before you need to tear off the 3 old roofs to put on a 4th one (now the new 1st roof). In my area - you can have 2 "roofs" on your house before you have to tear them both off before the new roof can go on. When the roofer comes to give you an estimate they may be able to tell from the ground how many roofs are on your house. It's good to know the local codes... so if the roofer says they MUST tear off the single old roof - you will know if that's true or not. You might WANT them to do a tear off of the single roof - but they don't have to do it. Well, maybe if you have some sort of special shingles...

2.) roofs are measured in "squares" - or 10 foot by 10 foot squares. You can guessitmate how many squares of roof you have if you like to do math and think it thru. Roofers charge by the square and by how many peaks and valleys your roof may have. If you have a mcmansion with lots of different roof slopes and lots of peaks and valleys - it will add to the cost.

3.) if you have an estimate for how many squares your roof is - you can guestimate the cost for materials looking at shingles prices/coverage on a Big Box Store website. and then add some for ice dam stuff and chimney flashing... and you can guesstimate the cost of labor - on how many days the workers will need to do the work. This isn't a perfect estimate but it can help you NOT have sticker shock when you are thinking it should be 5K - but then you do some math and looking at the cost of materials and your in your head "estimate" is 5K - that means the real estimate will be more...

4.) if your old roof(s) will be torn off - there will be a charge for the dumpster and disposal.
5.) if your old roof(s) will be torn off - the roofer will most like make any repairs/replacement of the plywood underlayment that has rotted or is damaged in some way. there is a charge for this. My 75 year old house doesn't have plywood - it's got planks of wood. Thankfully, I only had about 4 feet of the "planking" that needed to be replaced.

6.) make sure the roofer pulls a permit for the work (especially if you are in Florida). The roofer may indicate the cost for the permit as part of the estimate.

You should think about what color you want your roof to be. If you want fancy architectural shingles or just old fashion asphalt (or if you want to put on a metal roof). You might also want to give some thought to putting solar panels on the roof in the nearish future. I'm guessing if you don't have an electric car today - in 10 years you will.

If you have tile roof... I can't help you... everything above may be worthless - except the info about the "squares" as the unit of measure for roofs.
(EDIT: Somehow my reply got deleted so here it is) Doubt that most jurisdictions will allow three roofs ; shingles are incredibly heavy. Also failure to remove previous layers usually voids any warranty on the new roof. That may be a big deal or not. Lastly, check local building permits in your area to see what folks are paying. They usually list # of squares, cost and roofers info
traveler901

Post by traveler901 »

I have a similar question to OP.

Our house has a roof that's about 26-27 years old, but no issues yet. We will likely only stay in our current house for 2-3 more years. In this scenario, should we replace now? Or simply just hold off and assume that it may result in a lower selling price down the line?
manuvns

Post by manuvns »

When your insurance is ready to pay for it .
Thanks!