Changed Vehicles and Insurance Skyrocketed

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
tj

Changed Vehicles and Insurance Skyrocketed

Post by tj »

I posted recently about how my car was totaled (2018 Nissan Sentra - 500k/1 Mil on Liability, UM and UIM, and its around $1000 annually)

I decided I would replace it with a 2023 Hyundai Elantra - the cost for the same exact coverage for this car is $2800 annually. This is from Farmers (Metlife) - this is not considering any penalties from the accident - its just apparently a lot more expensive to insure the Hyundai than the Nissan.

My current policies for condo is at $434 annually (500k liability) and $1M umbrella is $214.

It seems that I may need to split insurers for auto and condo. Had USAA quote the auto and they are around $2400 annually - but their condo quote is 3x what I have at Farmers/Metlife. A standalone umbrella probably will be more expensive, but if I have $1M on each underlying, i think id be ok with that.

I got a quote on the car from AAA Arizona (CSAA) and bumping up the liability, UM and UIM to $1M/$1M, its about $1700 annually before any multipolicy discounts are added. You cant quote condo online at CSAA, so I'll have to see where they come in on the condo - I've also requested condo from BRK.B's GUARD as I saw someone post about it here.
Jack FFR1846

Re: Changed Vehicles and Insurance Skyrocketed

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I would recommend you find an Independent Agent and ask them to get you quotes. They can quote from anyone and shop for you. I think the first thing they would do is to drop your liability to 250/500 and add an umbrella policy. It's what I have with $2M on the umbrella. The umbrella will have an auto level requirement and you don't need more than that.

You will be able to bundle policies even if you end up with multiple companies because the agent is monitoring the policies and seeing that they work together and you have the correct coverage.

When my son got his first car, he scoured the universe of captive insurance companies and when he had his numbers on his spreadsheet done, he contacted my Independent agent and ended up getting a quote significantly less than any of the captives. As an example, Geico (a Berkshire Hathaway company) was 3 times as much. Makes me snicker with their 15 minute to save 15%.

I don't know about your state, but in mine (Mass), 80% of people are insured through Independent Agents. I'm an engineer working for Megacorp, so don't think I'm some insurance person. I'm not. I've taken my try at the in house Met Life at one of my jobs and every time I went in the office, it seemed like yet another high school student was there. The prices weren't much cheaper and when I tried to insure my snowmobile, it took them the entire season and never got it right. In the end, with the season done, they cancelled flat because they were so incompetent. I went back to the independent.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Topic Author
tj

Post by tj »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:36 pm I would recommend you find an Independent Agent and ask them to get you quotes. They can quote from anyone and shop for you. I think the first thing they would do is to drop your liability to 250/500 and add an umbrella policy. It's what I have with $2M on the umbrella. The umbrella will have an auto level requirement and you don't need more than that.

You will be able to bundle policies even if you end up with multiple companies because the agent is monitoring the policies and seeing that they work together and you have the correct coverage.

When my son got his first car, he scoured the universe of captive insurance companies and when he had his numbers on his spreadsheet done, he contacted my Independent agent and ended up getting a quote significantly less than any of the captives. As an example, Geico (a Berkshire Hathaway company) was 3 times as much. Makes me snicker with their 15 minute to save 15%.

I don't know about your state, but in mine (Mass), 80% of people are insured through Independent Agents. I'm an engineer working for Megacorp, so don't think I'm some insurance person. I'm not. I've taken my try at the in house Met Life at one of my jobs and every time I went in the office, it seemed like yet another high school student was there. The prices weren't much cheaper and when I tried to insure my snowmobile, it took them the entire season and never got it right. In the end, with the season done, they cancelled flat because they were so incompetent. I went back to the independent.
I already have an Umbrella and my current policy is with an independent agent. Its not like all the independent agents has access to all insurance companies in the state that used independents. I have to go on the insurance company's suite and click find an agent to find one that can quote the ones I want to see quotes from.

This agent says that he has shopped all his and suggested Safeco which was only $200 cheaper for the lot. Ironically, he had access to CSAA a few years ago, but either doesn't anymore or didn't want to suggest it

Also, his website says they provide "Claim Advocacy", but they have not been involved in my claim at all - I have to micromanage the adjuster myself.
Topic Author
tj

Post by tj »

Update: I had like 4 independents check + Liberty Mutual who apparently had to go outside of Liberty for condo and umbrella, but nobody is close to AAA and StateFarm.

I'll likely end up at StateFarm as they are slightly cheaper and they don't charge extra to pay monthly.
CletusCaddy

Post by CletusCaddy »

Wow. I was feeling some kind of way about paying $1900 to insure my $70k Volvo but this makes me feel better.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Hyundai is notoriously easy to steal due to a design flaw, that and Kia. In a major midwestern city in the USA there’s a gang of young car thieves that call themselves the “Kia Boys”, and this city has begun issuing free anti-theft devices to owners of Hyundai and Kia cars. Maybe this has something to do with the higher premium (?)
Topic Author
tj

Post by tj »

Nicolas wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:06 pm The Hyundai is notoriously easy to steal due to a design flaw, that and Kia. In a major midwestern city in the USA there’s a gang of young car thieves that call themselves the “Kia Boys”, and this city has begun issuing free anti-theft devices to owners of Hyundai and Kia cars. Maybe this has something to do with the higher premium (?)
Mine has a push start button which I understand is more difficult to steal.
Topic Author
tj

Post by tj »

Update again: State Farm said my rates jumped after they looked at my consumer reports and saw how many quotes Ive obtained - never heard of that but i guess i'll try StateFarm again in a year when not soliciting a bunch of quotes and see what they look like.

Ended up going AAA and used my Bank of America AAA credit card which gives me 5.25% cashback on AAA purchases.

AAA also sent me disclosure that i did not qualify for best rates - i have requested the report from LexisNexis and will have to see if theres any inaccurate info on there.
afan

Post by afan »

I had heard of hard pulls on credit reports dropping a credit rating when shopping for mortgages. I had not heard of shopping for insurance leading to higher rates.

Please post back with whatever you learn.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama
Topic Author
tj

Post by tj »

afan wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:02 am I had heard of hard pulls on credit reports dropping a credit rating when shopping for mortgages. I had not heard of shopping for insurance leading to higher rates.

It may depend on the state? I'm in Arizona.

Here's what the letter says:

Thank you for allowing AAA to serve you. We look forward to providing you with the insurance coverage that best suits your needs. Information we use to determine your coverage and premium: As required by law, we are letting you know that we use loss information reports, motor vehicle reports, prior insurance and insurance score information to determine what rate to charge you. Although we have issued your policy at the lowest rate we have available to you, your policy did not qualify for our lowest possible rate. Information about Insurance Score: Scoring is a tool that uses information gathered from an individual’s credit file to predict the probability of future losses. Most insurance companies use this tool to more accurately anticipate claims, better control risk, and keep the overall cost of insurance lower.
The following factors were the primary influences on your insurance score:
3095 - Time Since Most Recent Consumer Initiated Inquiry is 0 Months
3142 - # of Accounts that are Open is 16 or More
3908 - Insufficient Information on Auto Financing Accounts
3015 - Average Months Accounts Have Been Opened is 98 to 119 Months

Maybe talzara knows.
talzara wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:17 pm.
afan

Post by afan »

My state prohibits using credit scores for pricing insurance. As far as I know, companies are free to use information about driving history and claims. I had not heard that the activity of shopping itself would raise rates. That is kind of scary.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

tj wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:06 am
afan wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:02 am I had heard of hard pulls on credit reports dropping a credit rating when shopping for mortgages. I had not heard of shopping for insurance leading to higher rates.

Thank you for allowing AAA to serve you. We look forward to providing you with the insurance coverage that best suits your needs. Information we use to determine your coverage and premium: As required by law, we are letting you know that we use loss information reports, motor vehicle reports, prior insurance and insurance score information to determine what rate to charge you. Although we have issued your policy at the lowest rate we have available to you, your policy did not qualify for our lowest possible rate. Information about Insurance Score: Scoring is a tool that uses information gathered from an individual’s credit file to predict the probability of future losses. Most insurance companies use this tool to more accurately anticipate claims, better control risk, and keep the overall cost of insurance lower.

Maybe talzara knows.
Have you been applying for credit cards, or anything like that? I didn't think insurance companies did hard credit pulls.
TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder »

exodusNH wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:33 pm
tj wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:06 am The following factors were the primary influences on your insurance score:
Have you been applying for credit cards, or anything like that? I didn't think insurance companies did hard credit pulls.
None of those items seem to be insurance related. “16 or more” open accounts almost assuredly refers to credit lines. Also, none of those make reference to getting multiple insurance quotes. Seems like a simple credit risk assessment, which is still allowed in AZ.
Topic Author
tj

Post by tj »

tj wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:06 am

Maybe talzara knows.

It isn't a hard credit inquiry. Its some sort of consumer report database from LexisNexis

The only thing I have applied for recently is 1 credit card and an auto loan.
Topic Author
tj

Post by tj »

TropikThunder wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:43 pm
tj wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:06 am The following factors were the primary influences on your insurance score:
None of those items seem to be insurance related. “16 or more” open accounts almost assuredly refers to credit lines. Also, none of those make reference to getting multiple insurance quotes. Seems like a simple credit risk assessment, which is still allowed in AZ.
Statefarm is the one who said getting a lot of quotes penalized me but maybe she didnt know what she was talking about.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

per one of the major credit agencies, an insurance pull should be a soft pull and not be considered in your credit score.

https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-expe ... it-scores/
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

tj wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:52 pm
Statefarm is the one who said getting a lot of quotes penalized me but maybe she didnt know what she was talking about.
You should pull your reports at https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action. They're still offering weekly pulls.
Topic Author
tj

Post by tj »

exodusNH wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:53 pm
You should pull your reports at https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action. They're still offering weekly pulls.
Annualcreditreport.com has absolutely nothing to do with whatever consumer reporting database that insurers use. As already mentioned, AAA uses LexisNexis, and I'm assuming StateFarm does too.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

tj wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:58 pm

Annualcreditreport.com has absolutely nothing to do with whatever consumer reporting database that insurers use. As already mentioned, AAA uses LexisNexis, and I'm assuming StateFarm does too.
Sure, but they're telling you have inquiries and lots of open accounts. It'll cost you nothing to check. You do you, though.
db79

Post by db79 »

tj wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:58 pm Annualcreditreport.com has absolutely nothing to do with whatever consumer reporting database that insurers use. As already mentioned, AAA uses LexisNexis, and I'm assuming StateFarm does too.
LexisNexis and other vendors offer a wide variety of data products to carriers that provide driver and vehicle insights. They also host contributory databases which carriers supply information and is accessible to participating carriers. That's one way a carrier will have intel on any previous claim history you may have had with another carrier or if you have been shopping quotes.

Also, an increasing trend is for State Dept of Insurance to restrict the use of personal credit in rate making. Not all States have passed this regulation yet.
Topic Author
tj

Post by tj »

exodusNH wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:13 pm
tj wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:58 pm
Sure, but they're telling you have inquiries and lots of open accounts. It'll cost you nothing to check. You do you, though.
I d have lots of accounts. I don't have a lot of credit inquiries, but I definitely would have lots of insurance inquiries if Lexis tracks that.. That's why I requested the lexis report - I want to know what info is on it
talzara

Post by talzara »

tj wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:51 pm
exodusNH wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:33 pm Have you been applying for credit cards, or anything like that? I didn't think insurance companies did hard credit pulls.
It isn't a hard credit inquiry. Its some sort of consumer report database from LexisNexis

The only thing I have applied for recently is 1 credit card and an auto loan.
The credit card and auto loan are both hard pulls. Since they're different types of credit, they do not get merged into one hard pull. You have two hard pulls on your credit report, which reduces your credit-based insurance score.
talzara

Post by talzara »

tj wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:58 pm Annualcreditreport.com has absolutely nothing to do with whatever consumer reporting database that insurers use. As already mentioned, AAA uses LexisNexis, and I'm assuming StateFarm does too.
State Farm pulls the Experian credit report through Lexis Nexis.
tj wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:11 pm I d have lots of accounts. I don't have a lot of credit inquiries, but I definitely would have lots of insurance inquiries if Lexis tracks that.. That's why I requested the lexis report - I want to know what info is on it
The Lexis Nexis insurance report is a different report.

If you want to see the credit data that was used to price your policy, you should pull your Experian credit report. In the soft pulls section, there should be a listing for Lexis Nexis that says, "On behalf of State Farm for insurance underwriting."
Topic Author
tj

Post by tj »

talzara wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:56 pm
State Farm pulls the Experian credit report through Lexis Nexis.
tj wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:11 pm I d have lots of accounts. I don't have a lot of credit inquiries, but I definitely would have lots of insurance inquiries if Lexis tracks that.. That's why I requested the lexis report - I want to know what info is on it
The Lexis Nexis insurance report is a different report.

If you want to see the credit data that was used to price your policy, you should pull your Experian credit report. In the soft pulls section, there should be a listing for Lexis Nexis that says, "On behalf of State Farm for insurance underwriting."
I wonder why the lady said getting insurance quotes affected it. In that case, it sounds like I should wait 2 years for StateFarm to requote for inquiries to drop off.
talzara

Post by talzara »

afan wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:23 pm My state prohibits using credit scores for pricing insurance. As far as I know, companies are free to use information about driving history and claims. I had not heard that the activity of shopping itself would raise rates. That is kind of scary.
Insurance companies do not use the number of insurance inquiries to price new policies. They do use the age of the previous policy, but it doesn't matter if you get one quote or ten quotes.

Allstate may use the number of insurance inquiries to price policies for existing customers. We don't know what Allstate does because its price optimization algorithm has not been publicly disclosed. However, Allstate customers should get a new insurance quote every year just in case.

State Farm does not use price optimization, so this would not be used to calculate the OP's premium.
talzara

Post by talzara »

tj wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:07 pm I wonder why the lady said getting insurance quotes affected it. In that case, it sounds like I should wait 2 years for StateFarm to requote for inquiries to drop off.
Insurance agents give a lot of incorrect information to customers. They're salespeople.

Also, did you speak with the agent herself? The most successful State Farm agencies have a lot of employees, who may not be as experienced as the agent.
Topic Author
tj

Post by tj »

talzara wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:22 pm
tj wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:07 pm I wonder why the lady said getting insurance quotes affected it. In that case, it sounds like I should wait 2 years for StateFarm to requote for inquiries to drop off.
Insurance agents give a lot of incorrect information to customers. They're salespeople.

Also, did you speak with the agent herself? The most successful State Farm agents hire employees to service existing policies. The agents spend their time looking for new business. Since you're replacing a car, you're an existing customer.
I've never been a State Farm customer, and it was an employee of the agent.
talzara

Post by talzara »

tj wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:24 pm I've never been a State Farm customer, and it was an employee of the agent.
Sorry, I realized that after I re-read your first post and edited my post.

In some states, a licensed insurance agent has to issue all quotes. The agent will look for new business, and the agency's employees will service existing policies.

In other states, anyone can walk in off the street and get hired by the licensed agent to quote new policies. They're more likely to give out incorrect information about insurance.
Topic Author
tj

Post by tj »

talzara wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:12 pm
afan wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:23 pm My state prohibits using credit scores for pricing insurance. As far as I know, companies are free to use information about driving history and claims. I had not heard that the activity of shopping itself would raise rates. That is kind of scary.
Insurance companies do not use the number of insurance inquiries to price new policies. They do use the age of the previous policy, but it doesn't matter if you get one quote or ten quotes.

Allstate may use the number of insurance inquiries to price policies for existing customers. We don't know what Allstate does because its price optimization algorithm has not been publicly disclosed. However, Allstate customers should get a new insurance quote every year just in case.

State Farm does not use price optimization, so this would not be used to calculate the OP's premium.
My only having Farmers/Metlife for 11 months and USAA for 6 months before that may have had some impact on my rates. I had Auto Owners for a few years before that, but they don't write in CA and USAA rates are terrible in AZ.

GEICO also sent a "didnt qualify for best rates" email with a LexisNexis consumer disclosure reference number.