Trip protection insurance for river cruise?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
infotrader

Trip protection insurance for river cruise?

Post by infotrader »

I have booked a river cruise in August.
I have a Chase sapphire preferred card, I wonder it will cover something like being tested positive in PRP and forced to get off the boat and cannot finish the trip.
Or, I need to buy trip protection insurance. If so, how to shop around?
Thank you!

Re: Trip protection insurance for river cruise?

Post by 123 »

The benefits of Sapphire Preferred are explained at https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred
infotrader wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:58 pm ...Or, I need to buy trip protection insurance. If so, how to shop around?...
The price of trip protection insurance usually goes up the closer you get to the departure date (the assumption is that the consumer has sensed a higher level of risk). At some point it becomes unavailable. When it is purchased from a tour operator (like a cruise provider) it often has to be purchased at the same time as the tour/cruise.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
twh

Post by twh »

The "cancel for any reason" clause usually is not available unless you buy very soon after making the trip arrangements - like days or a week or so.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

twh wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:35 pm The "cancel for any reason" clause usually is not available unless you buy very soon after making the trip arrangements - like days or a week or so.
Please call www.TripInsuranceStore.com
(Call; don't rely upon the fine print. They are a broker and handle various policies from several vetted insurers. No extra cost to traveler.)

There are many policies that allow CFAR (Cancel For Any Reason) if that coverage is included/added within the first 10-20 days of the FIRST payment (refundable or not). The time depends at least in part on state of residence; insurance is regulated by the states. NY does not allow CFAR last I knew.
However, there used to be - and may still be - at least one insurer that will offer this coverage if it is purchased no later than 24 hours of "final payment" (defined narrowly, for obvious reasons).
These usually offer 75% cash back; a covered reason would usually provide 100% back.

We use Travel Insured through TIS which require the coverage be added early, although only any deposit needs to be covered, with more $$ added as more payments are made (each within a new 10-20 days).
But once we needed that later coverage and purchased it. We've had several claims from TI, all handled well, but none from the one time we used that other company... But TIS will help with claims in needed. (They helped us with our first claim because there was a complication - and some confusion on my part. :wink: )

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.