auto insurance ?: child that moved in with parents

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
feh

auto insurance ?: child that moved in with parents

Post by feh »

My wife and I have 2 cars, and we are the only people on the policies. Our child recently moved back in with us; don't know how long this will be the situation, but several months at a minimum.

Child, who is 22, will very rarely need to use one of the cars. I''d just as soon not put child on policies, as rates would increase quite a bit, not to mention umbrella insurance.

Is it acceptable to allow child to use car with permission on occasion without adding them to the policy?

Thanks.
MP123

Re: auto insurance ?: child that moved in with parents

Post by MP123 »

feh wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:40 pm Is it acceptable to allow child to use car with permission on occasion without adding them to the policy?
Probably not. Ask your agent to be sure, but generally a child living at home would need to be on the policy.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Add them to the policy. If he's in an accident and someone is hurt, the insurance company will investigate, find that you failed to add him to the policy and won't pay a cent or will revert to state minimum, including liability. In my state, that's five grand. If he lives in the house, and has a drivers license, he must be added to your policy.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

I think the issue is the person is living in your home and your insurer will want to know about anyone who lives in the house. I believe I have to sign off on this with each annual renewal.

A relative who stays over for a few nights is a different story. But that is not the case here.

The last thing you want to is find out you are not covered after some sort of event because you choose not to tell them. If in your shoes, I think I’d call my insurer and discuss the situation. I am risk averse. If you would not be covered it would be better to know that now so you can do something about it.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

MikeG62 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:49 pm I think the issue is the person is living in your home and your insurer will want to know about anyone who lives in the house. I believe I have to sign off on this with each annual renewal.

A relative who stays over for a few nights is a different story. But that is not the case here.

The last thing you want to is find out you are not covered after some sort of event because you choose not to tell them. If in your shoes, I think I’d call my insurer and discuss the situation. I am risk averse. If you would not be covered it would be better to know that now so you can do something about it.

I'm not sure why people are reluctant to ask an insurer whether they'd be covered if "X".
The last thing you'd want is to find out too late that X is *not* covered.
Presumably you'd either want to avoid X or to make sure you include it in your coverage.
If it's a big loss (and if not, no big deal), you can be sure the insurer will look into "things".

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.