chase sapphire + travel insurance?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
gips

chase sapphire + travel insurance?

Post by gips »

Hi,

I have booked non-refundable hotel and air reservations for travel to jamaica using my chase sapphire card, estimated trip cost is $5k. Chase sapphire provides trip insurance but is light on medical care. I'm mostly concerned about the financial impact of contracting covid before and during the trip.

Thinking about purchasing separate travel insurance, has anyone looked at chase sapphire insurance + travel insurance?

best,
Jags4186

Re: chase sapphire + travel insurance?

Post by Jags4186 »

gips wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:17 pm Hi,

I have booked non-refundable hotel and air reservations for travel to jamaica using my chase sapphire card, estimated trip cost is $5k. Chase sapphire provides trip insurance but is light on medical care. I'm mostly concerned about the financial impact of contracting covid before and during the trip.

Thinking about purchasing separate travel insurance, has anyone looked at chase sapphire insurance + travel insurance?

best,
What specifically are you looking to cover?

1) Contract COVID before the trip—if your doctor requires you to quarantine causing you to miss your trip Chase Sapphire Preferred and Reserve would cover that.

2) Place where your trip has a high transmission rate and you no longer want to go. You are not covered. Nor are you covered by your Chase card if the government of the locale puts in travel restrictions or if your travel arrangements are cancelled due to COVID related reasons. From my understanding, if your flight is cancelled because the pilot has COVID, you would not be covered. If the flight is cancelled due to bad weather you are covered. I don’t know how much information you actually would get from the airline to determine that.

3) Contract COVID during your trip. You aren’t covered for quarantining in your hotel room or extending your stay

4) Contract COVID during your trip. You aren’t covered for any medical services

Since there are no more COVID restrictions for traveling back to the USA, if I were to contract COVID on a trip I would probably just put 2 masks on and come home. You’ll want to travel medical insurance and make sure COVID is a covered issue if you are that concerned. Having just had COVID, it wasn’t much worse than a cold.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

best,

Try calling TripInsuranceStore.com

And *call*; don't just phone. We give this strong recommedation all the time (the fine print can really matter in these cases), but in your case, you need to ask them about a plan that will best coordinate with what CHase Sapphire offers. They'll probably want to know if it's Preferred or Reserve. I'm not sure if the coverage of those two types differ.

They should be able to help you 'fill in the blanks' about whatever coverage you don't have yet but want, etc.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Topic Author
gips

Post by gips »

Jags4186 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:26 pm

best,
What specifically are you looking to cover?

1) Contract COVID before the trip—if your doctor requires you to quarantine causing you to miss your trip Chase Sapphire Preferred and Reserve would cover that.

2) Place where your trip has a high transmission rate and you no longer want to go. You are not covered. Nor are you covered by your Chase card if the government of the locale puts in travel restrictions or if your travel arrangements are cancelled due to COVID related reasons. From my understanding, if your flight is cancelled because the pilot has COVID, you would not be covered. If the flight is cancelled due to bad weather you are covered. I don’t know how much information you actually would get from the airline to determine that.

3) Contract COVID during your trip. You aren’t covered for quarantining in your hotel room or extending your stay

Since there are no more COVID restrictions for traveling back to the USA, if I were to contract COVID on a trip I would probably just put 2 masks on and come home. You’ll want to travel medical insurance and make sure COVID is a covered issue if you are that concerned. Having just had COVID, it wasn’t much worse than a cold.
thanks! assume you're talking about chase sapphire on the points below:
>> 3) Contract COVID during your trip. You aren’t covered for quarantining in your hotel room or extending your stay
travel insurance will cover this, one of the reasons I'm considering it

>>4) Contract COVID during your trip. You aren’t covered for any medical services
same as above, travel insurance will cover this, one of the reasons I'm considering it

>>Having just had COVID, it wasn’t much worse than a cold.
my brother just had it and had the same experience. I had covid and it was just about the worse sickness I've had, was admitted to the hospital for a day.

>>Since there are no more COVID restrictions for traveling back to the USA, if I were to contract COVID on a trip I would probably just put 2 masks on and come home.
I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with that approach but each of us has to decide what's right for themselves.

best,
Topic Author
gips

Post by gips »

ResearchMed wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:32 pm

best,

And *call*; don't just phone. We give this strong recommedation all the time (the fine print can really matter in these cases), but in your case, you need to ask them about a plan that will best coordinate with what CHase Sapphire offers. They'll probably want to know if it's Preferred or Reserve. I'm not sure if the coverage of those two types differ.

They should be able to help you 'fill in the blanks' about whatever coverage you don't have yet but want, etc.

RM
thanks, I called before my op, honestly, they were not much help on this front. Basically, they said, "chase will cover something, how much do you want to insure for". I understand their approach, it's probably tough to predict exactly what chase will and won't cover and don't want me saying "but you said chase would cover x and it didn't". In the end, I probably just need medical insurance and some trip delay insurance, chase will probably cover the rest but for $250 for two people, maybe a no brainer to be overinsured.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

gips wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:48 pm

best,

RM
thanks, I called before my op, honestly, they were not much help on this front. Basically, they said, "how much do you want to insure for". I understand their approach, it's probably tough to predict exactly what chase will and won't cover.

Did whomever you spoke with (who was that? PM me if you wish) decline to consider the Chase coverage at all?
Asking "how much" makes sense. There are different policies with different limits, etc.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Topic Author
gips

Post by gips »

ResearchMed wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:56 pm
gips wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:48 pm

best,

RM
thanks, I called before my op, honestly, they were not much help on this front. Basically, they said, "how much do you want to insure for". I understand their approach, it's probably tough to predict exactly what chase will and won't cover.

Did whomever you spoke with (who was that? PM me if you wish) decline to consider the Chase coverage at all?
Asking "how much" makes sense. There are different policies with different limits, etc.

RM
the answer in one case was "i have that card too", the other was basically "how much do you want". Not sure what sharing names is going to accomplish, let's just say I spoke to two people there. I don't have an issue with them, they've done the heavy lifting by screening policies, writing blogs and I appreciate their experience.
MedSaver

Post by MedSaver »

Jags4186 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:26 pm

I just flew back from Canada. Even though there is no testing requirement, we still had to attest that we were not Covid positive and did not have symptoms of Covid in order to check in online. Whether or not you want to lie about this I do not know, but trying to get through customs while obviously ill could have consequences.