How to deal with IRS tax issue, or at least speak with someone- please help

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
protagonist

How to deal with IRS tax issue, or at least speak with someone- please help

Post by protagonist »

I paid my 2021 federal taxes in full, plus $5000 extra (so I could get a $5K I-bond refund), on 3/21/22, via IRS Direct Pay. I received confirmation that my payment was submitted and the correct amount was promptly debited from my bank account (confirmed on my bank statement). I also applied for an extension on filing my return,

I mailed my final 2021 return some time between 4/11 and 4/15/22, requesting my refund in I-bonds.

I have not received my refund or any communication about it from the IRS.

I checked "Where is my refund" on the online IRS page, and it showed no information pertaining to my account on file.

I repeatedly called the IRS at 800-829-1954, 800-829-0922, and my local branch at 413-788-0284. Every time I call and go through the menu a recording tells me nobody is available to take my call and I have to call back. I get the same response when I call the appointment line at my local office at 844-545-5640 to try to make an appointment.

Meanwhile my $5000 overpayment is floating in the void (those I-bonds should be getting 9.72% interest!), and I have no idea how to trace this or speak with somebody who can. Is there no way to deal with this issue?

Thanks.
ObliviousInvestor

Re: How to deal with IRS tax issue, or at least speak with someone- please help

Post by ObliviousInvestor »

Your paper return is probably sitting in a room something like the photo below, waiting for somebody to manually type it into the system. There's a good chance there's nothing to be traced, because nothing has been done with it yet.
https://www.businessinsider.com/photo-i ... rns-2022-6
Mike Piper | Roth is a name, not an acronym.
increment

Post by increment »

protagonist wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:49 pm I repeatedly called the IRS at 800-829-1954, 800-829-0922, and my local branch at 413-788-0284. Every time I call and go through the menu a recording tells me nobody is available to take my call and I have to call back.
Did you call within 10 seconds of 7 am, when the phone lines open up? That works pretty regularly for me. But you should know that they will probably advise you to check "Where's my refund." I doubt that they will start any action for you unless your holdup is unusual. As ObliviousInvestor wrote, it doesn't sound unusual.
bsteiner

Post by bsteiner »

We have a client who just received her refund for 2020 about a month ago.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

My kid just got his 2020 fed refund today (he filed a paper return) ... massive patience is required . Government offices going to the work from home system seems to not have worked so well when it comes to getting the work done.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Paper return. Buckle up for a long wait.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

hicabob wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:16 pm My kid just got his 2020 fed refund today (he filed a paper return) ... massive patience is required . Government offices going to the work from home system seems to not have worked so well when it comes to getting the work done.
Processing paper returns was never "work from home." They shut down the processing centers and then slowly re-opened with likely slower processes due to safety protocols.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
EngCapt1

Post by EngCapt1 »

protagonist wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:49 pm Every time I call and go through the menu a recording tells me nobody is available to take my call and I have to call back.
Yeah, good luck.

My FIL passed in 2020 right after making 2nd quarterly tax payment. RMD's were waived in 2020 and he didn't have any more income for the year, so he overpaid taxes. We filed his taxes in Feb 2021 by mail along with form 1310, death cert, etc (paper return is required for deceased). In June 2021, they mailed asking for form 1310, so we sent it certified. In Oct 2021, they mailed inquiring about his 2020 stimulus check, so we sent a certified letter stating we returned the check per instructions with the check at the time he received it in late 2020. Then last week, a new letter requesting form 1310 and death cert with 30 days to comply. There was a contact number on the letter, we get the same "nobody available, call back" message. So, we've sent the 1310 by certified mail yet again, and we suspect we'll receive another letter soon about his 2020 stimulus check. We have confirmation receipts on everything we've sent, but the paperwork obviously isn't getting where it needs to go once they sign for it (probably in a room like pictured in a post above). So yeah, we're still waiting for his ~$5k refund from 2020 tax year.

We e-file our taxes and have had zero issues with our own personal returns, so it seems just paper returns that are having issues. So, you definitely aren't the only one. Ugh!

:annoyed
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Nearly 80% of all returns are filed electronically now, so the Feds have been shrinking the clerk typing pool over the past years. They even closed a long-time office in Fresno, CA, shipping that work to Ogden, UT. That specific office has numerous openings, but the IRS can't find many takers in a high-employment rate area.

Long-term response is that paper returns can now sit a long time.
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Thanks everybody, but I am waiting for a $5K I-bond refund that should be getting a 9.72% return.
I tried filing electronically (H+R Block), but for some reason it would not accept my return, though everything checked out, so I mailed it in.
If that takes a year or two I will lose all that interest.
Plus they are sitting on $5K that they owe me.
Is there really no recourse???
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

Big Dog wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:44 pm Nearly 80% of all returns are filed electronically now, so the Feds have been shrinking the clerk typing pool over the past years. They even closed a long-time office in Fresno, CA, shipping that work to Ogden, UT. That specific office has numerous openings, but the IRS can't find many takers in a high-employment rate area.

Long-term response is that paper returns can now sit a long time.
Yes, I saw an ad for IRS workers, but the pay was only $15 per hour.
To boot, having served very briefly as a district labor relations officer for them, they treated employees very poorly.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

protagonist wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:56 pm Thanks everybody, but I am waiting for a $5K I-bond refund that should be getting a 9.72% return.
I tried filing electronically (H+R Block), but for some reason it would not accept my return, though everything checked out, so I mailed it in.
I’m not aware of any way to jump to the head of the line.

What was the reject message from the IRS when you e-filed? Normally they would provide a reject code and message. In my experience with other software the most common error is SSN or EIN mismatches.
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

jebmke wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:10 pm
protagonist wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:56 pm Thanks everybody, but I am waiting for a $5K I-bond refund that should be getting a 9.72% return.

What was the reject message from the IRS when you e-filed? Normally they would provide a reject code and message. In my experience with other software the most common error is SSN or EIN mismatches.
I don't recall. But I carefully checked my return, and H+R Block tax software also found no errors. That is another reason I am concerned....if there is a legit. reason for my return to not be accepted I would like to know what it is. I vaguely recall googling the issue at the time with my reject code and found that a lot of people had the same problem.
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

Everyone feels the same way you do. Everyone has an ‘exception’ or twist to their story. Everyone has that ominous feeling of having done something wrong (amazing that our government provokes that feeling in its citizens.) That being said, there is no known way to expedite your return.

The IRS will pay you interest on any refund that is delayed @ a fairly good rate though I do not know how it is handled when bonds are requested.
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

PoppyA wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:32 pm Everyone feels the same way you do. Everyone has an ‘exception’ or twist to their story. Everyone has that ominous feeling of having done something wrong (amazing that our government provokes that feeling in its citizens.) That being said, there is no known way to expedite your return.

The IRS will pay you interest on any refund that is delayed @ a fairly good rate though I do not know how it is handled when bonds are requested.
My intent is not to "jump the line" or get my case expedited, as you and jedmke suggested.

I just want to speak with somebody to find out if my return has been received and make sure I am due to get my refund, or if there is something else I need to do before my return can be processed. If I am told that, yes, we have it but we are seriously backlogged, I would be OK with that.

The IRS website stated that returns with paper filed returns should arrive within 6 weeks of filing, and it is well past that.
Last edited by protagonist on Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

protagonist wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:38 pm
PoppyA wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:32 pm Everyone feels the same way you do. Everyone has an ‘exception’ or twist to their story. Everyone has that ominous feeling of having done something wrong (amazing that our government provokes that feeling in its citizens.) That being said, there is no known way to expedite your return.

My intent is not to "jump the line" or get my case expedited.

I just want to speak with somebody to find out if my return has been received and make sure I am due to get my refund.
As other posters have pointed out, your return has probably been "received" in the sense that it was delivered to the IRS and is now in a large room full of thousands of other paper returns waiting to be keyed into the automated system. Until the IRS works their way through all those returns, none of them will show up in their computer has having been received. Even if you were to get a live voice on the other end of the phone line, I doubt they would be able to tell you anything useful.
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

deleted
Last edited by protagonist on Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

My situation is virtually identical to yours. Slightly different in that I'm waiting for a refund, but not in I-bonds, and not nearly as large as yours. I also filed a paper return because the HR Block software told me I had to. I don't understand why, and they couldn't tell me why when I contacted them over the phone. I have followed various instructions for contacting them described both on this forum and other places. Most of the time I can't even get to the recording that says to call back later. They only owe me $287, so I'm not that worried about it, but I do wonder what will happen if it still hasn't been processed by the time I have to file a return in 2023. Fortunately I have a receipt showing that it was delivered. I either saw on the IRS website or heard thru the automated system that they don't want people calling to talk about the status of their refund.
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

OpenMinded1 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:09 pm
My situation is virtually identical to yours. Slightly different in that I'm waiting for a refund, but not in I-bonds, and not nearly as large as yours. I also filed a paper return because the HR Block software told me I had to. I don't understand why, and they couldn't tell me why when I contacted them over the phone. I have followed various instructions for contacting them described both on this forum and other places. Most of the time I can't even get to the recording that says to call back later. They only owe me $287, so I'm not that worried about it, but I do wonder what will happen if it still hasn't been processed by the time I have to file a return in 2023. Fortunately I have a receipt showing that it was delivered. I either saw on the IRS website or heard thru the automated system that they don't want people calling to talk about the status of their refund.
Thanks for the feedback. At least I am not alone.
My reject code was FD-31-13. No explanation. Googling it got me nowhere.
In fact, I tried today to re-file electronically today after downloading HRB's software updates, even though I filed via paper. Got the same code.
increment

Post by increment »

protagonist wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:20 pm In fact, I tried today to re-file electronically today after downloading HRB's software updates, even though I filed via paper.
As I understand it, the IRS is not set up to handle multiple filings automatically. Please don't make more work for them and slow down everyone else's paper returns from being processed.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

jebmke wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:10 pm [...]
[...]
Does this IRS line that you refer to start with current year returns only or previous year returns as well? Because I have not heard back from the IRS for either of the last two years' worth of returns.

For sure, it looks like it is possible to "jump ahead" of pending 2020 returns if you file your 2021 returns early ... and electronically. :oops:

So, that is definitely one way. File early and file electronically. At least you get ahead of the folks waiting since last year!!
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

an_asker wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:28 pm
jebmke wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:10 pm [...]
[...]
Does this IRS line that you refer to start with current year returns only or previous year returns as well? Because I have not heard back from the IRS for either of the last two years' worth of returns.

For sure, it looks like it is possible to "jump ahead" of pending 2020 returns if you file your 2021 returns early ... and electronically. :oops:

So, that is definitely one way. File early and file electronically. At least you get ahead of the folks waiting since last year!!
e-filing is almost always faster; some returns cannot be e-filed and as OP noted, some have been rejected and there seems to be no easy workaround.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

jebmke wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:34 pm [...]
e-filing is almost always faster; some returns cannot be e-filed and as OP noted, some have been rejected and there seems to be no easy workaround.
Our 2020 taxes were efiled. :oops:

I assume we filled up the "almost" bucket there smh.

[edited to add] I hope I would hear something if our 2020 returns were rejected, because we've heard nothing.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

an_asker wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:39 pm
jebmke wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:34 pm [...]
Our 2020 taxes were efiled. :oops:

I assume we filled up the "almost" bucket there smh.
yep; I do know that in 2020 there were major issues with reconciling the recovery rebate credit. The issue seems to have been resolved for 2021 returns but I suspect there are a lot of returns that got kicked out to manual processing because of the reconciliation issues. I was expecting 2021 was going to be a repeat with all the advanced child tax credit but it seems like the number of issues was much lower.

My personal approach is to always owe or have a very small refund that I don't care about in terms of timing. Fortunately, my personal e-files have never been rejected. That isn't always completely satisfying because there is always the chance of receiving a CP letter the sucks you back into the human process. I've had several of these so I am quite practiced at patience with this.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

To summarize:
1) Speaking with a human is unlikely to help. Your return is in a box somewhere in an IRS facility. The person on the phone will have no more information.
2) The six week number that you quote has not been remotely accurate at least since March 2020 changed everything. I really wish that information was updated. I am not even sure it was true during the busy times pre-pandemic.
3) You posted in March as part of a discussion where another forum member had the same rejection code. Based on that discussion, your error appears to be an H&R Block problem not an IRS problem and is probably related to the iBond request. With the state of paper processing, preferred options after rejection would have been to either call H&R Block support or switch to different software. Please keep this in mind in the future.
4) There is a real chance that you will not receive the iBonds at all. Do not be surprised if you end up just getting a refund in cash.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

After months of trying to contact the IRS to get them to resolve a long-running issue earlier this year, I contacted my senator's office and got help quickly. The IRS is short-staffed but they will respond to lawmakers.

TravelforFun
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

After months of trying to contact the IRS to get them to resolve a long-running issue earlier this year, I contacted my senator's office and got help quickly. The IRS is short-staffed but they will respond to lawmakers.

TravelforFun
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

Again, everyone would like to talk to someone to assuage their fears. You’ve tried & it hasn’t worked. They’ve tried (as documented here) & it hasn’t worked. To hit your head harder against this wall of IRS mess will likely not yield the results you are after.
Oregano

Post by Oregano »

I have a different scenario than the OP. I filed amended returns for 2018, 2019, and 2020 in February 2022. I received the refund for 2018 in April. Both the 2019 and 2020 returns were shown as received by the IRS by late February, but haven't been processed. I log in every 3-4 weeks to see if there are any updates. The message for both changed this last time to now read:

"Take Action! Please see below for additional info about your amended return.

Your amended return was received on February 10, 2022. However, it has not been processed. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Please call 800-829-0582, extension 623, between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday. You will need a copy of your amended return."

I tried to call once early in the morning and got the message that they couldn't take my call. But does this message actually mean I need to call in or is it just because it passed a certain amount of time that would normally imply a problem?
techrover

Post by techrover »

I had a similar situation for 2020 tax filing done using H&R e-file in Apr 2021. Even with successful efile acknowledgement, the online IRS account status showed they had not received my return. Of course my refund was also not received.
I received a notice from IRS in Aug 2021 for a minor typo which I corrected and sent back. Even after that the online IRS account didn't show that my return was received and was being processed.
I called IRS in Sep 2021 and Dec 2021 by phone. Luckily I was able to speak to rep on both occasions. They took my info and confirmed the return was received and under processing, but had no idea on when I will receive refund.
Finally I received refund with interest in early Feb 2022.

It seems the online IRS status and account is not correct even for efiles. But I was able to get hold of IRS rep, so there is hope for you.
tunafish

Post by tunafish »

protagonist wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:38 pm

My intent is not to "jump the line" or get my case expedited, as you and jedmke suggested.

I just want to speak with somebody to find out if my return has been received and make sure I am due to get my refund, or if there is something else I need to do before my return can be processed. If I am told that, yes, we have it but we are seriously backlogged, I would be OK with that.

The IRS website stated that returns with paper filed returns should arrive within 6 weeks of filing, and it is well past that.
I usually mail in my returns in March and April. I see the transcripts show up on the IRS website in the Fall. The where's my refund section has never worked for me, perhaps because I have the refund applied to the following year.

The IRS is woefully understaffed in addition to the problems mentioned by previous posters. Congress just does not provide enough money for them to hire enough people and pay them decent salaries.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Oregano wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:13 pm I have a different scenario than the OP. I filed amended returns for 2018, 2019, and 2020 in February 2022. I received the refund for 2018 in April. Both the 2019 and 2020 returns were shown as received by the IRS by late February, but haven't been processed. I log in every 3-4 weeks to see if there are any updates. The message for both changed this last time to now read:

Your amended return was received on February 10, 2022. However, it has not been processed. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Please call 800-829-0582, extension 623, between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday. You will need a copy of your amended return."

I tried to call once early in the morning and got the message that they couldn't take my call. But does this message actually mean I need to call in or is it just because it passed a certain amount of time that would normally imply a problem?
That message shows up for everyone after X weeks have passed. I do not understand why they never updated it to reflect the post March 2020 processing times. I have known a few people who have called. All but one were told that nothing was needed and they just needed to wait.
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

Here is a link to an article that was in Marketwatch today about the IRS backlog--8.5 million paper returns waiting to be reviewed.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/irs-u ... h_headline
Oregano

Post by Oregano »

Katietsu wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:52 pm
Oregano wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:13 pm I have a different scenario than the OP. I filed amended returns for 2018, 2019, and 2020 in February 2022. I received the refund for 2018 in April. Both the 2019 and 2020 returns were shown as received by the IRS by late February, but haven't been processed. I log in every 3-4 weeks to see if there are any updates. The message for both changed this last time to now read:

That message shows up for everyone after X weeks have passed. I do not understand why they never updated it to reflect the post March 2020 processing times. I have known a few people who have called. All but one were told that nothing was needed and they just needed to wait.
Thanks! Gee, I wonder why all the phone lines are clogged when they tell everyone to call in.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

No much to do but sit and wait.

Paper returns I filed for my now deceased mom in April, 2020 - still pending.

Appeal I filed on my own taxes in January, 2020 - still pending.

No amount of phone calls or follow-up correspondence has produced results. No one is home at the agency.
howard71

Post by howard71 »

protagonist wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:49 pm Meanwhile my $5000 overpayment is floating in the void (those I-bonds should be getting 9.72% interest!).
I should also be getting 9.72% on the 10k I have ready to put in I-Bonds but I can't get through to anybody at Treasury Direct to resolve problems with opening an account.
dbr

Post by dbr »

Everyone wants to cut government spending until they are hoist on not getting government service they need.

To convert this from a rant to an action people can complain to their Congressperson and to the President to fix the functioning of some of the Federal departments. It might also be effective to complain to the specific Congresspeople who typically work to cut government spending.
informal guide

Post by informal guide »

The automated systems that the IRS uses do work, though.

Just last week I got an automated letter with almost incomprehensible data on my timely e-filed 2021 return. They mistakenly assessed a failure to pay penalty and interest (a CP23 notice).

Fortunately, the amounts were very small. The bill was a whopping amount - -just under $17.00.

After recovering from my irritation over their error, I just sent in the check to the address on the notice. Hopefully this is the last I hear about this return.
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Katietsu wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:52 pm

That message shows up for everyone after X weeks have passed. I do not understand why they never updated it to reflect the post March 2020 processing times.
No kidding, Katie!
If the post stated "Due to severe understaffing because of the pandemic, we are currently about 18 months behind and still processing 2020 refunds; please be patient. You also probably will not find answers on the "Where is my return" site.", instead of suggesting that you should have your refund in a matter of a few weeks, I , and I presume thousands of others at the very least, would never have bugged them with constant phone calls and the like.

Such a simple fix....
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

protagonist wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:20 pm
In fact, I tried today to re-file electronically today after downloading HRB's software updates, even though I filed via paper. Got the same code.
Filed in mid-March, the refund was deposited in my checking account today - 4 1/2 months. :(
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

OpenMinded1 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:28 pm
Filed in mid-March, the refund was deposited in my checking account today - 4 1/2 months. :(
That is hopeful. Thanks.
Did you file electronically or with a paper return?
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

protagonist wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:40 pm
OpenMinded1 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:28 pm
That is hopeful. Thanks.
Did you file electronically or with a paper return?
Normally I file electronically, but this time paper. HR Block software said I had to file a paper return because I had misc income. IRS's "Where's My Return" kept saying they had no info on my return, and suggested that I may have entered information wrong when looking for status of return there. (I hadn't.)