Received mysterious LTR 96C letter from IRS; action needed?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
fefifofum

Received mysterious LTR 96C letter from IRS; action needed?

Post by fefifofum »

Last week (late May) I received a letter from the IRS that I'm scratching my head over. It's "LTR 96C" and reads in part:
Dear Taxpayer:

We reviewed the information you provided and determined no action is necessary on your account.

If you have questions, you can call 800-829-0922.
Then it goes on to also give instructions for writing them a letter. The thing is... we never contacted the IRS to ask them about anything! Our only contact with them was via e-file in H&R Block's tax software. We filed our 2021 taxes fairly early -- we had already received our Federal tax refund by February.

I'm trying to decide if I can safely ignore this and assume it's a case of a mistaken ID number entered in somewhere... or if to be safe I should try to call them and clarify what this is regarding. The thought of sitting on hold waiting to talk to them about this is not especially appealing, I must admit.

What would you do in this case? Anyone else have a similar experience?

- fefifofum
AnnetteLouisan

Re: Received mysterious LTR 96C letter from IRS; action needed?

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Watch the Trial with Anthony Perkins. It’s riveting from the opening scene. He’s under suspicion of something but they won’t tell him what.

I would just file the letter and forget about it. But I’m not a tax lawyer - maybe one can chime in.

Second thought - could be a scam. Maybe that number is not an IRS number.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

I would call or at least write to them.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

I would take a look at your IRA transcript.
celia

Post by celia »

Check the envelope carefully. Was that letter meant for you?

Have you lived at that address over 3 years? (It might have been meant for a previous resident)
Topic Author
fefifofum

Post by fefifofum »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:15 pm Watch the Trial with Anthony Perkins. It’s riveting from the opening scene. He’s under suspicion of something but they won’t tell him what.

I would just file the letter and forget about it. But I’m not a tax lawyer - maybe one can chime in.

The idea that it might be a scam was my first instinct as well! But, I googled that number and found it as a legit IRS number on their website.
Topic Author
fefifofum

Post by fefifofum »

celia wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:41 pm Check the envelope carefully. Was that letter meant for you?

Have you lived at that address over 3 years? (It might have been meant for a previous resident)
Definitely meant for me -- the letter itself has my name on it and accurate last 4 digits of my SSN. But that was a good idea to check!
toddthebod

Post by toddthebod »

fefifofum wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:12 pm Last week (late May) I received a letter from the IRS that I'm scratching my head over. It's "LTR 96C" and reads in part:
Dear Taxpayer:

We reviewed the information you provided and determined no action is necessary on your account.

If you have questions, you can call 800-829-0922.
Then it goes on to also give instructions for writing them a letter. The thing is... we never contacted the IRS to ask them about anything! Our only contact with them was via e-file in H&R Block's tax software. We filed our 2021 taxes fairly early -- we had already received our Federal tax refund by February.

I'm trying to decide if I can safely ignore this and assume it's a case of a mistaken ID number entered in somewhere... or if to be safe I should try to call them and clarify what this is regarding. The thought of sitting on hold waiting to talk to them about this is not especially appealing, I must admit.

What would you do in this case? Anyone else have a similar experience?

- fefifofum
Check your transcripts and your social security statement to see if someone else is filling with your SSN. Then call them.
Good Listener

Post by Good Listener »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:15 pm Watch the Trial with Anthony Perkins. It’s riveting from the opening scene. He’s under suspicion of something but they won’t tell him what.

Better yet, read the book The trial by Franz Kafka. I read it in college and it's my favorite book ever and I just reread it 50 years later I guess. Basically, if they want to get you they will. A wonderful book
Topic Author
fefifofum

Post by fefifofum »

alpenglow wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:34 pm I would take a look at your IRA transcript.
Thanks, I wasn't aware this was a thing I could do! I got my "record of account" transcript and I'm scratching my head over interpreting it. Interestingly, the events in the log are not in chronological order, which makes it pretty confusing.

As far as events that happend THIS year, I can see:
* "W-2 or 1099 Withholding", dated the day before I received my refund and matching the amount expected.
* "Refund issued", dated the we received our refund, in the amount of the refund.
* "Tax Return Filed" at the end of the month I filed my taxes, for the amount I payed in taxes for 2021.
* "Credit to your account", dated on April 15th 2022, in the amount of our child tax credit

It doesn't show any account balance and as far as I can tell there's nothing too surprising in there...
fabdog

Post by fabdog »

The letter should have had a date indicating when they received the correspondence from you. Given how backed up they are this could easily be from something from a previous year, especially if it took some time to kick out the original request

I would not assume this is a 2021 tax issue

Since you have the transcript look back several years

Mike
Topic Author
fefifofum

Post by fefifofum »

fabdog wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:12 pm The letter should have had a date indicating when they received the correspondence from you. Given how backed up they are this could easily be from something from a previous year, especially if it took some time to kick out the original request

I would not assume this is a 2021 tax issue

Since you have the transcript look back several years

Mike
That's a good angle to check! The letter says it's for tax period Dec. 31, 2021 -- and elsewhere on the letter I see a number like 202112 30, which makes me think the correspondence happened near the end of last year?

Ultimately I think I'm just going to have to call them to be sure. I certainly don't remember contacting them around that time last year. Closest thing I can think of is opting out of the early child tax credit payments in around September.

Thanks to everyone for your advice here! Appreciated.

fefifofum
celia

Post by celia »

fefifofum wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:06 pm As far as events that happend THIS year, I can see:
* ”W-2 or 1099 Withholding", dated the day before I received my refund and matching the amount expected.
* "Refund issued", dated the we received our refund, in the amount of the refund.
* "Tax Return Filed" at the end of the month I filed my taxes, for the amount I payed in taxes for 2021.
* "Credit to your account", dated on April 15th 2022, in the amount of our child tax credit
So your transcript shows they were waiting for external confirmation on 2 items. If you had to send something for the Child Tax Credit (that apparently was credited separately), it could be that they just found it or confirmed the child’s age with SS.
arthurdawg

Post by arthurdawg »

I received something similar last year or two... never have heard back.

Called... and nobody ever answered any of the numbers. I'd go through 18 menus and it would dump me.

I had planned to send a letter, but then I figured they'd send a bill. Our taxes are done by our accountant, and other than one slight mistake about 4 years ago, they've been solid.
Indexed Fully!
MarkNYC

Post by MarkNYC »

fefifofum wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:36 pm ... The letter says it's for tax period Dec. 31, 2021 -- and elsewhere on the letter I see a number like 202112 30, which makes me think the correspondence happened near the end of last year?

Ultimately I think I'm just going to have to call them to be sure. I certainly don't remember contacting them around that time last year. Closest thing I can think of is opting out of the early child tax credit payments in around September.
The IRS uses letter 96C as an acknowledgement or to request a response. Based on your comments. my guess is the letter is a (late) acknowledgement that the IRS received and processed your request to opt out of the advanced Child Tax Credit payments.
snoopygirl

Post by snoopygirl »

Hi fefifofum- I just received essentially the exact same letter in the mail today and found your post. May I ask what you ended up doing or what ended up happening? I did not initiate a correspondence with them. They said they received my Form 8960 which was indeed part of my Tax return but I did not send anything other than my tax return this year.