Anyone have any luck with new TSP login?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
gopackers

Anyone have any luck with new TSP login?

Post by gopackers »

Mine is a nightmare, but maybe they're just wringing out the bugs.

I use a voip phone and they don't want you to use that anymore, it worked before. When I go around that per their instruction it just sits there after I entered my driver license. Tried about 4 times with my voip and wifey's android phone # and sat on hold with thriftline a total of 90 minutes over 5 phone calls. If I didn't value the g-fund so much I would definitely transfer money to an IRA (I am retired).
SquawkIdent

Re: Anyone have any luck with new TSP login?

Post by SquawkIdent »

I did it this morning in about 15 minutes total.

This is an improvement? From poking around quickly my answer will be a hard no.

Once again, without the G fund I would be gone already.
delamer

Post by delamer »

It’s a bit early to make a judgment, isn’t it?

It bothers me that up-to-date share prices aren’t getting posted, but I assume that will happen before too long.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
Topic Author
gopackers

Post by gopackers »

I will give them a few days, maybe the call volume will decrease. But no longer supporting voip numbers is a big downer. I would have to have wifey's phone with me to login, a minor pain.
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

Just went through the new login setup. The new website looks terrible. Similar to other sites with giant white space, pages of nothing, dumbed-down without details. :oops: I will be moving it to V.
Crustus

Post by Crustus »

A - Only took a few minutes to set up the account. :beer
B - We're all beta testers now. :sharebeer

C - Rummaged around the website. Yeah, hopefully they'll populate it with useful information. It probably looks a lot better than the old one on a phone and maybe on a small tablet.
And . . .
Blues

Post by Blues »

No issues here. Took a few minutes and a couple of confirmations.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
mokaThought

Post by mokaThought »

Just got it set up with my and my wife's accounts. The interface is a whole lot of fluff without substance, but the big plus is Okta Verify 2FA.

But apparently setting beneficiaries requires a witness?? :annoyed

There isn't an apparent way of seeing what funds are available in the Mutual Fund Window without enrolling, and the enrollment form isn't letting me check the boxes needed to enroll (purely out of curiosity). It isn't clear whether the investor gets instantaneously charged $150 for the enrollment or whatnot.

---

Update: You have to click the links to enable the checkboxes on the enrollment form. But I seriously don't want to throw $150 away just to look at a funds list. :oops:
Last edited by mokaThought on Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
"October: This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August and February."
quietseas

Post by quietseas »

In, but what a UI disaster.

There is almost no distinction between Traditional and Roth balances on any of the balance displays (worse than before). There's a pop up "take a quiz" box that's prominent and as annoying as Vanguard's PAS advertisements. One has to "request" a statement and it is sent to a secure inbox rather than just opening up a PDF as was done before. They require a spousal notification mailing address but the only way to update it is to "contact agency" which already has my spouses information. Viewing mutual fund window investment options seems to require clicking on an "enroll now" button which I don't want to do if I just want to see what the fund choices are.
Dontridetheindexdown

Post by Dontridetheindexdown »

SquawkIdent wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:59 am
This is an improvement? From poking around quickly my answer will be a hard no.

Once again, without the G fund I would be gone already.
+1
TSR

Post by TSR »

My plan was not to look at my TSP for the next three months or so given everything going on in the market. Now you're giving me a reason to log in.... :?
mokaThought

Post by mokaThought »

TSR wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:37 am My plan was not to look at my TSP for the next three months or so given everything going on in the market. Now you're giving me a reason to log in.... :?
The new interface is so unintuitive, you could potentially get away with setting up the new login without actually seeing the account balance. It took me a few minutes just to find the balances of individual funds.
"October: This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August and February."
quietseas

Post by quietseas »

If anyone is able to figure out how to view the fund choices with expense ratios available in the mutual fund window without enrolling please let us know (or if one can enroll without risk of incurring fees just to browse). I don't think I would use the MFW but a few forum members might like to see DFA or Avantis or Vanguard Wellington or REIT funds, for example, on that list.
franklinsimms

Post by franklinsimms »

I was able to complete the setup pretty easily, but I've noticed a few issues so far:
  • The website says I have not designated any beneficiaries, even though my form TSP-3 was submitted, processed, and accepted a long time ago. I don't know if this means I need to designate beneficiaries all over again, or if my beneficiaries are still on file and this is a glitch with the new website.
  • There doesn't appear to be a way to change your password once you've logged in. C'mon man, that's Website Accounts 101!
  • I would have preferred that they integrate with login.gov which already has support for multiple strong MFA options. But I'm a fan of any multi-factor authentication that doesn't use SMS or email (or multi-factor authentication that isn't actually multi-factor like security questions). Multi-factor authentication via Okta Verify is a welcome addition
  • There doesn't appear to be a way to remove or add multi-factor authentication methods. My account is only setup to use Okta Verify MFA. As much as I prefer not to use SMS-based MFA, I'd like to add it as a backup method. There doesn't appear to be a way to do that.
  • The old website felt dated but it also felt more intuitive and functional than this new website. I used to login and see my balance and fund allocations immediately. I hope they continue to make improvements to the user experience for this new version of the website.
I tried calling in for help with some of these items but they support line seems to be slammed. Maybe I'll try again in a couple weeks after the kinks have hopefully been worked out.
user9532

Post by user9532 »

Yes, it is a UI disaster. I guess it is also a security disaster.

To setup the new login, it asks you your first name, last name, DOB, last four digits of SSN, and any phone number to send you a code. If another person knows your name, DOB, and last four digits of your SSN, what prevents that person from setting up a logon id in your name?
SurferLife

Post by SurferLife »

Due to the previous and cumbersome TSP process of moving money out of my account, I had been waiting for the website revamp to be completed before I executed the move in hopes they get the system setup for electronic transfers. Unfortunately, it seems like I should have moved on this sooner under the old process; although cumbersome and with paperwork, I didn't hear horror stories of the end results. With all this talk about the website disaster, I'm a bit hesitant to be one of the first ones out of the chute in using the website to do that move. I guess I'll create my account this evening and see what awaits me.
quietseas

Post by quietseas »

user9532 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:49 pm Yes, it is a UI disaster. I guess it is also a security disaster.

To setup the new login, it asks you your first name, last name, DOB, last four digits of SSN, and any phone number to send you a code. If another person knows your name, DOB, and last four digits of your SSN, what prevents that person from setting up a logon id in your name?
In my enrollment the final step asked for my legacy TSP 13 digit account number, which admittedly I had to do a little bit of searching to find.
yolli71

Post by yolli71 »

quietseas wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:26 pm
user9532 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:49 pm Yes, it is a UI disaster. I guess it is also a security disaster.

In my enrollment the final step asked for my legacy TSP 13 digit account number, which admittedly I had to do a little bit of searching to find.
Interesting...I just set mine up and they didn't ask for my old 13 digit account number.
Blues

Post by Blues »

yolli71 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:51 pm
Interesting...I just set mine up and they didn't ask for my old 13 digit account number.
I didn't have that step required either.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
SagaciousTraveler

Post by SagaciousTraveler »

Had issues at the step with putting my phone number in. Errored out without giving me any information, when I tried it again it said my number was in use.

I skipped the phone number step (Luckily downstream, it accepted my phone number) and was successful in creating the account. Was pretty shocked they required documentation proving who you are but appreciate that layer. I did have to provide my old TSP account number.

I also tried the PIV log in, no dice. Died multiple times and gave up.

As for the UI, its early so I'll give it more time but early indications are, meh.
nolaquen

Post by nolaquen »

Agreeing with the crowd here, the UI is terrible...

..But the security is even worse. I enrolled with the TOTP MFA option (you don't have to use Okta, thank goodness). But logging in on several systems/platforms, I have yet to actually be asked for it. I always get asked a security question, and the same one at that. If we can't depend on them to get this right, I don't have any confidence that the passwords are being stored securely on the backend either.
RetiredInTheWest

Post by RetiredInTheWest »

nolaquen wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:30 pm Agreeing with the crowd here, the UI is terrible...

..But the security is even worse. I enrolled with the TOTP MFA option (you don't have to use Okta, thank goodness). But logging in on several systems/platforms, I have yet to actually be asked for it. I always get asked a security question, and the same one at that. If we can't depend on them to get this right, I don't have any confidence that the passwords are being stored securely on the backend either.
Agree here too!

My wife and I are having the same issue. If you click a box at the login, you can request SMS instead of the same tired security question over and over (like that does any good - so can anyone else). I'd at least like to remove the ability to log into the account with a security question. And ... going to the "security center" shows only two pretty pictures, remarkably with no way to change the password or do anything else security related at all.

I tried their chat - not a chance. Poor support folks are no doubt swamped. And yeah, beneficiaries are gone. To add them back you need a "witness" who is not the owner or a beneficiary who can provide a name and email address? Wow.

I'm wondering about "locking" the account. Still making contributions, so afraid to now with the state of the new web page (zero way to contact anyone for help if anything goes wrong). But we would like to be able to do that since we won't be taking any money out any time soon.

Hope it gets better. My first impression is unfortunately that they didn't try this with many real accounts before releasing it into the wild. Pretty poor.
hank-johnson

Post by hank-johnson »

Took about 5 minutes. I didn't think the UI was going to be as bad as the comments suggested...but it is and worse!
shunkman

Post by shunkman »

The first time I tried today it locked up at the end. On my second attempt it was smooth sailing. And my Beneficiary Summary is the same as it was before the upgrade.
starboi

Post by starboi »

When you log in, the web address contains “angularfirst-app” which makes it seem like they copy pasted some code from an Angular JS tutorial.
Blues

Post by Blues »

I don't know why they didn't follow OPM's lead and just go with login.gov
You Know What I Mean

Post by You Know What I Mean »

The comments so far are pretty disheartening. I guess I'll wait a week or two (or three) before trying to log in.

I am disappointed that the Share Price History doesn't seem to be updated. I thought I might try logging in just to get the values. (In Quicken I like to have all the data correct for end-of-month values in reports, etc.)
Last edited by You Know What I Mean on Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Well, she was just seventeen, You Know What I Mean, and the way she looked... was way beyond compare."
KeepGrowing

Post by KeepGrowing »

Setting up my new login seemed to go fine... But then ~5-6 hours later, I received an email stating, "Your Address Change request was received on June 1, 2022. Your confirmation number is..." I did not request an address change. Getting in touch with them about this should be fun.

Also, when I look under Savings & Retirement > Contributions > Contribution Balances > Details, the Roth balance listed there is significantly different from the Roth balance listed under Savings & Retirement > Contributions > Nontaxable Balances > Details. Should these be different? If so, why?
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

KeepGrowing wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:29 pm Setting up my new login seemed to go fine... But then ~5-6 hours later, I received an email stating, "Your Address Change request was received on June 1, 2022. Your confirmation number is..." I did not request an address change. Getting in touch with them about this should be fun.

Also, when I look under Savings & Retirement > Contributions > Contribution Balances > Details, the Roth balance listed there is significantly different from the Roth balance listed under Savings & Retirement > Contributions > Nontaxable Balances > Details. Should these be different? If so, why?
I got the same but I ignored it.

Overall I thought it looks much more modern and works fine. My only quibble is the log out button isn’t easy to find and if you lost money it shows gain as $0 but doesn’t tell you how many dollars you lost - only the percentage.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Striker

TSP website changes

Post by Striker »

[Merged into existing discussion - moderator oldcomputerguy]

Just looked at the new TSP website. What a mess.
mokaThought

Re: TSP website changes

Post by mokaThought »

shunkman

Post by shunkman »

Are you looking for actionable advice?
Striker

Post by Striker »

Didn’t see the prior existing thread. Just wanted to vent.
kilkoyne

Post by kilkoyne »

Does anyone know if you can change your phone number once you set up a new account? I can't use my own number because it says "Phone number already in use". If I could use my work number just to set up my account and then change it later I would do that instead of sending in pictures of my ID.
Last edited by kilkoyne on Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

I moved all non-G Fund to Vanguard before the switch. Little reason to log in now. I can let all the bugs get worked out.
SR II

Post by SR II »

Well, I got signed in on the new and "improved" website without a problem. It just took a few minutes. And, never asked for my account number. :annoyed But, what happened to the calculators? Their website was lousy before and worse now!
Johnfmh

TSP—New System—Issues Logging In

Post by Johnfmh »

[Merged into existing discussion -- moderator oldcomputerguy]

Has anyone been able to successfully setup online access to the new TSP online system. Even after getting past the crazy amount of security and establishing a password and userid, I still had no luck logging in. Now I am locked out and customer service waits are very long. This is very frustrating since I have quite a bit of assets in that account. Is anyone experiencing similar issues?
egri

Re: TSP—New System—Issues Logging In

Post by egri »

I tried logging in using the answer to my security question, and it wouldn't let me in. It did give me the option to receive a code via text, which worked. You aren't missing much; the redesign sucks. I lost all of my personal performance history, and they've moved around everything. If their goal was to cut down on people day trading in their TSP by making the site unworkable, then it has been a resounding success.
RamblinDoc

Post by RamblinDoc »

I was able to answer security questions, 2-step Authenticator via phone and had to upload a photo ID to gain access.

I agree with egri, the website is not usable - I cannot see performance history. It just shows a massive gain this month. I can only see total balance - did not find that it segregated Roth from Traditional nor did I see how much of each fund is in the account. It is very basic and is promoting their new Mutual Fund investing gimick….
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

I set up the “new” logon and successfully logged in, but the redesign is super clunky and pages would freeze constantly. I never could get a page to load that would show me my Roth vs traditional breakdown.
“Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon.” - Milton Friedman
mrc

Post by mrc »

I was able to set up the new login. But the STATEMENTS page just shows this:

The information that usually appears here is currently unavailable.

I don't think the site is fully functional yet. At least I hope that's the case.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
SagaciousTraveler

Post by SagaciousTraveler »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:54 pm
KeepGrowing wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:29 pm Setting up my new login seemed to go fine... But then ~5-6 hours later, I received an email stating, "Your Address Change request was received on June 1, 2022. Your confirmation number is..." I did not request an address change. Getting in touch with them about this should be fun.

Overall I thought it looks much more modern and works fine. My only quibble is the log out button isn’t easy to find and if you lost money it shows gain as $0 but doesn’t tell you how many dollars you lost - only the percentage.
Same for me but MULTIPLE texts spaced out through out the day :oops:

I checked my account just incase, no issues. Most likely delays because of the influx of activity going on today.
mrc

Post by mrc »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:54 pm Overall I thought it looks much more modern and works fine. My only quibble is the log out button isn’t easy to find
It's very easy to click "Lock account" (the last items on the list) :annoyed
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

SagaciousTraveler wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:44 am
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:54 pm

Same for me but MULTIPLE texts spaced out through out the day :oops:

I checked my account just incase, no issues. Most likely delays because of the influx of activity going on today.
Yes I received like six texts as well. It’s just one day though. This too shall pass.
wander

Post by wander »

gopackers wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:03 am I will give them a few days, maybe the call volume will decrease. But no longer supporting voip numbers is a big downer. I would have to have wifey's phone with me to login, a minor pain.
It gives you two options to either upload both sides of your driver license or one-side of your passport. If it does not take your driver license, your last quick option is to upload your passport. Another option is to do it by mail. On that same webpage, it mentions that VOIP (Google number falls into that group) is no longer working.
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

Ricola wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:31 am Just went through the new login setup. The new website looks terrible. Similar to other sites with giant white space, pages of nothing, dumbed-down without details. :oops: I will be moving it to V.
How is that an improvement? Vanguard did the same thing - it's one reason why I moved to Fidelity
mokaThought

Post by mokaThought »

MBB_Boy wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:53 am
Ricola wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:31 am Just went through the new login setup. The new website looks terrible. Similar to other sites with giant white space, pages of nothing, dumbed-down without details. :oops: I will be moving it to V.
How is that an improvement? Vanguard did the same thing - it's one reason why I moved to Fidelity
I was going to crack a joke about how TSP is even more like Vanguard now. Oh well.
yolli71

Post by yolli71 »

My wife and I switched over to the new TSP site yesterday and she has received 23 messages from last night until this morning saying that her account information has changed. We logged in this morning to check and make sure everything was okay and it was. I know they have some kinks to work out, but 23 messages? Sheesh...
user9532

Post by user9532 »

mrc wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:48 am
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:54 pm Overall I thought it looks much more modern and works fine. My only quibble is the log out button isn’t easy to find
What is the "Lock account" for?

I didn't click it thinking it is a one-step process to lock yourself out (I'm a little behind tech stuff).
Blues

Post by Blues »

user9532 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:44 am
mrc wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:48 am
What is the "Lock account" for?

I didn't click it thinking it is a one-step process to lock yourself out (I'm a little behind tech stuff).
It's a way of further ensuring the security of your information...but frankly, I don't trust the new site / software to not have a glitch and prevent our getting things reestablished properly. It's sort of a nuclear option...and if it fails, it will be very problematic to undo.