Ally Bank Debit Card Fraud Alert

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
happyyoda

Ally Bank Debit Card Fraud Alert

Post by happyyoda »

I received Fraud alerts via text and phone call from Ally bank on a suspicious transaction on my debit card for $0.00 at "AMAZON.ES" (that TLD is for Spain).

That was not my transaction - I asked Ally to lock/close the debit card immediately and reissue a new card. I have not used this debit card for any ATM or online transactions. In fact, after I activated the card, I never used it and the card was stored safely.

When talking to Ally Fraud Service Center, the rep said many people were calling about similar alerts. I asked how someone could attempt to use my debit card number when I have not used it anywhere. Ally said someone got my debit card info (and info of few other customers) somehow and were trying to see if they could use it.

Did anyone else receive similar alerts recently?

What else should I do to protect my account? Closed and open a new account?
Lastrun

Re: Ally Bank Debit Card Fraud Alert

Post by Lastrun »

Does anyone know if Ally will allow you to lock a debit card?
Topic Author
happyyoda

Post by happyyoda »

Lastrun wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:38 am Does anyone know if Ally will allow you to lock a debit card?
Yes, you can do it via online account and Mobile App.

Online: navigate to 'Manage My Debit Cards', you can lock and unlock your debit card.

Ally Mobile app: select Tasks, Choose More Tasks, Select Manage Debit Card, Slide the toggle to "on"
Eno Deb

Post by Eno Deb »

happyyoda wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:34 amWhat else should I do to protect my account? Closed and open a new account?
There is no need to close the account. Ally will issue a new card and that is that.

This kind of thing can happen even if you never used the card if e.g. a card processing network has a breach.

If you like you can use Ally's app to block certain kinds of transactions, such as international charges. I never use my debit card for shopping, so I have configured it to only allow ATM transactions.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

Will give the usual caveat that alerts about fraud should be viewed as attempted fraud, until proven otherwise.
rgzeta

Post by rgzeta »

happyyoda wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:34 am When talking to Ally Fraud Service Center, the rep said many people were calling about similar alerts. I asked how someone could attempt to use my debit card number when I have not used it anywhere. Ally said someone got my debit card info (and info of few other customers) somehow and were trying to see if they could use it.
Based off this, I think there is something going around with Ally customers, and I fear something is rather rotten. Like you, I also got a fraud alert this morning (via push notification from their app, so presumably Ally unless they've lost control of their infrastructure). Unlike you, I keep my Ally debit card locked all the time (all my funds are in my savings acct and CDs, so I didn't want the chance of an annoying fraud+overdraft situation). I'm also very confident I have never used the card in any transaction (online, in-store, or at an ATM), and I'm not even sure if I ever activated it in the first place.

My best guess is either some sort of massive internal breach or some sort of novel "credential stuffing" attack on card numbers. Neither entirely makes sense though?

PS: My fraudulent transaction attempt was from Japan.
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

Locking the new card would be a good step, even if don’t plan to use it (maybe especially if you do).
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

tashnewbie wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:25 pm Locking the new card would be a good step, even if don’t plan to use it (maybe especially if you do).
Debit card should be locked all of the time and unlocked to be used as an ATM. Using it for purchases is an unnecessary risk.
chance

Post by chance »

Ally has an app that includes card controls that will allow you to prevent international use of the card, set permissible spending categories, provide notifications for spending and withdrawals, etc.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Thanks for the tips.
My Ally debit card is ONLY for international travel, to get local currency from an ATM. I only use it once or twice a year. The rest of the time it is locked away. Guess I need to look into the Ally app.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

I now have a fraudulent charge to my Ally debit card. I'm shocked, as I've only used the card at bank ATM machines. Current hold time with Ally is 76 minutes! I locked my debit card for now via the app, but I'm regretting going with Ally for my checking due to the insane wait times for customer service.
Last edited by ClevrChico on Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zanmar

Post by Zanmar »

This happened to me at a local bank. I had only used the card a few times at the bank's ATM. They cancelled it and issued a new card.
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

ClevrChico wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:01 pm I now have a fraudulent charge to my Ally debit card. I'm shocked, as I've only used the card at bank ATM machines. Current hold time with Ally is 76 minutes! I locked my debit card for now via the app, but I'm regretting going with Ally for my checking. (Which is tied to TreasuryDirect :oops: )
I had my Ally debit card locked when I received 2 days ago an alert of declined transaction in a different state. I chatted to get it replaced since it is compromised anyways but was able to continue the chat only on the next morning! It seems they had a massive data breach but they haven’t announced it
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

BogleMelon wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:18 pm
ClevrChico wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:01 pm I now have a fraudulent charge to my Ally debit card. I'm shocked, as I've only used the card at bank ATM machines. Current hold time with Ally is 76 minutes! I locked my debit card for now via the app, but I'm regretting going with Ally for my checking. (Which is tied to TreasuryDirect :oops: )
I had my Ally debit card locked when I received 2 days ago an alert of declined transaction in a different state. I chatted to get it replaced since it is compromised anyways but was able to continue the chat only on the next morning! It seems they had a massive data breach but they haven’t announced it
Very interesting. This does seem like a data breach somewhere!
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

I always leave my Ally debit locked. I had a fraudulent charge attempt a while ago, but the lock blocked it. I called Ally and they cancelled the number and sent me a new card. I only ever used it at my local CVS ATM (inside the store).

There was a fraudulent charge attempt on my locked BoA debit card a while ago too, and that card was never used and sat in my safe since I got it. I got new number and card, nothing you can do.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

anon_investor wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:02 pm There was a fraudulent charge attempt on my locked BoA debit card a while ago too, and that card was never used and sat in my safe since I got it. I got new number and card, nothing you can do.
How does a never used card get compromised? They'd need to know the card number, expiration, and the CVV code, right? I'm not doubting it happened, but it seems like someone was able to compromise a system somewhere to get this info.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

ClevrChico wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:53 am
anon_investor wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:02 pm There was a fraudulent charge attempt on my locked BoA debit card a while ago too, and that card was never used and sat in my safe since I got it. I got new number and card, nothing you can do.
How does a never used card get compromised? They'd need to know the card number, expiration, and the CVV code, right? I'm not doubting it happened, but it seems like someone was able to compromise a system somewhere to get this info.
I am guessing it was a data breach somewhere. This is 2022, this kind of stuff is no longer surprising...
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

ClevrChico wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:53 amHow does a never used card get compromised? They'd need to know the card number, expiration, and the CVV code, right? I'm not doubting it happened, but it seems like someone was able to compromise a system somewhere to get this info.
I had a newly issued credit card that had fraudulent charges even BEFORE I received it in the mail. And the replacement card had fraudulent charges BEFORE I received it, too.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

livesoft wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:50 am
ClevrChico wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:53 amHow does a never used card get compromised? They'd need to know the card number, expiration, and the CVV code, right? I'm not doubting it happened, but it seems like someone was able to compromise a system somewhere to get this info.
I had a newly issued credit card that had fraudulent charges even BEFORE I received it in the mail. And the replacement card had fraudulent charges BEFORE I received it, too.
I read somewhere about RFID scanners that can steal the card info remotely (while in a wallet, envelope..etc). Not sure if that was the case, but the next day I put my Ally card physically in my wallet and went to some stores, was the day I got that fraudulent charges alert showing up!
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Lots of scam alerts going around regarding Amazon, I got one yesterday for PayPal.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 11 years 😀
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

There is no reason to have a debit card. I had my bank issue me an ATM ONLY card with no debit capability. I assume Ally can do so - you should call them and request an ATM only card (and if they don't offer one maybe switch banks).
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

SmileyFace wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:51 am There is no reason to have a debit card. I had my bank issue me an ATM ONLY card with no debit capability. I assume Ally can do so - you should call them and request an ATM only card (and if they don't offer one maybe switch banks).
In your Ally account website or mobile app you can disable to debit feature of the debit card, so it can only act as an ATM card, or lock the card for use all together.
notoriousMG

Post by notoriousMG »

A few years ago I got a Chase product whose name I don't remember that issued a debit card without an account attached to it. I forget if it was preloaded but I basically needed something to give to my father to charge expenses to without having to wire him money into his account every time he needed something. Two visa cards I got from Chase were compromised before they were even activated. As soon as we activated them, fraudulent charges were made on it at some gas station at some far away state. The second card was the replacement for the first. I gave up and started using wise.com instead.
lsakemi

Post by lsakemi »

I received a fraude alert this morning and have been trying to reach out to Ally's fraud department, but aftr 10 min, I'm disconnected. Has anyone been able to solve these fraud alerts? Opening a bank account with Ally was my worst decision ever!
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

lsakemi wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:31 pm I received a fraude alert this morning and have been trying to reach out to Ally's fraud department, but aftr 10 min, I'm disconnected. Has anyone been able to solve these fraud alerts? Opening a bank account with Ally was my worst decision ever!
Is your debit card locked?
rtt22

Post by rtt22 »

anon_investor wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:42 am In your Ally account website or mobile app you can disable to debit feature of the debit card, so it can only act as an ATM card, or lock the card for use all together.
Would love to disable the debit feature but I can't find a way to do it from the web page. There are only 2 options: Lock/Unlock Card and Report Lost Card.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

rtt22 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:34 pm
anon_investor wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:42 am In your Ally account website or mobile app you can disable to debit feature of the debit card, so it can only act as an ATM card, or lock the card for use all together.
Would love to disable the debit feature but I can't find a way to do it from the web page. There are only 2 options: Lock/Unlock Card and Report Lost Card.
I think you have to do that from the mobile app (the website says use the mobile app). You can disable to debit feature, and do other customized disabling.
investor4life

Post by investor4life »

Thanks for the heads-up. I just locked my Ally debit card. But I can't find info there on DWs debit card in order to lock it as well (we have a joint account). Does she need to create a separate log-in before her card can be locked?
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

investor4life wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:26 pm Thanks for the heads-up. I just locked my Ally debit card. But I can't find info there on DWs debit card in order to lock it as well (we have a joint account). Does she need to create a separate log-in before her card can be locked?
Yes. Locking debit cards when not in use is a must!
Nummerkins

Post by Nummerkins »

investor4life wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:26 pm Thanks for the heads-up. I just locked my Ally debit card. But I can't find info there on DWs debit card in order to lock it as well (we have a joint account). Does she need to create a separate log-in before her card can be locked?
Yes
Today's high is tomorrow's low.
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

I appreciate this thread and I just locked my ALLY Debit Card Online using the phone app. I tried to also disallow foreign transactions and while I was able to toggle international access off the save button was grayed out and it kept reverting to the allow status which is frustrating. Perhaps I can not disable international access while access to the card is disabled?

I will need to do some more experimentation later today when I have time to do so.