Wells Fargo won't change my account type without new W-9?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
gruesome

Wells Fargo won't change my account type without new W-9?

Post by gruesome »

Am I getting "slow-rolled" by Wells Fargo so I get into a situation where I'm charged fees?

Background:

I've had a "Portfolio by Wells" relationship with Wells Fargo for ~15-20 years.

To maintain that relationship, I had to maintain $30K+ in the brokerage account. In exchange there were no monthly fees on linked checking/savings accounts. They also gave you 100 free trades per year (back when discount brokerages charged fees).

About 6 months ago, I got notified by Wells Fargo they were retiring the "Portfolio by Wells" program and, due to having a brokerage balance over $300K, I would be moved to a "Premiere" relationship as of May 9th.

After that, should my brokerage balance drop below $250K, I'd start incurring a $35 monthly fee.

An alternative to the "Premiere" relationship is a "Prime" relationship, which only requires a $25K balance to avoid a monthly fee.

I called WF customer service back in February asking to "slot me into Prime instead of Premiere": they said that wasn't possible, I had to wait for the "Portfolio->Premiere" conversion to complete, and then I could call back after May 9th to update my account from Premiere to Prime.

I called WF customer service today (May 13th), and they told me "we can't change your account type until you submit an updated W-9."

The rep told me they had to snail-mail me the W-9 (I couldn't just "print out a W-9, fill it out, and drop it off at a branch"), and I wouldn't be able to do the account-type conversion in conjunction with dropping off the W-9: I'd have to wait for the W-9 to be "processed" and then call customer service.

They said it'll take 7-10 business days for me to receive the W-9, then another 7-10 days for it to be processed after I drop it off -- and *then* I can call back to update from Premiere to Prime.

This seems like a lot of steps: I get the vibe they're hoping I drop the ball and stay in Premiere? Is this normal?
livesoft

Re: Wells Fargo won't change my account type without new W-9?

Post by livesoft »

I can see that submitting an updated W-9 is necessary and normal, but use snail mail is abnormal. However, many people do not wish to e-mail things with their SSN on it, so there's that.

In contrast, I did something with the US Forest Service today: Received a form as PDF via e-mail, filled it out, electronically signed it, e-mailed it back, and got back a copy signed by a US Forest Service employee all in less than hour.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

livesoft wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:33 pm In contrast, I did something with the US Forest Service today: Received a form as PDF via e-mail, filled it out, electronically signed it, e-mailed it back, and got back a copy signed by a US Forest Service employee all in less than hour.
Let me guess... A back-country camping permit?

Regards,
This is one person's opinion. Nothing more.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

retired@50 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:41 pmLet me guess... A back-country camping permit?
Nope. Such permits can be had by recreation.gov if allowed and in person otherwise. I needed to sign my life away to volunteer for the US Forest Service ... you know, the CYA agreement.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
CoralReef

Post by CoralReef »

This sounds like typical WF incompetence/inefficiency, not a deliberate attempt to keep you in a fee-producing account. I don’t think WF is that organized.

I won’t bore you with my entire WF saga, but here are two low points:
- having to come back another day because an issue that any other bank’s branch manager could have approved, required input from a paralegal (apparently the only one serving all of North America) who was at lunch for more than two hours;
- having to go home to get a document they had scanned the day before, because they couldn’t just retrieve the scan, they had to see the original document each time.

I believe WF is the most rule-bound, inefficient bank in the US when it comes to documentation. Good luck.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Move to Schwab or Fidelity. Stop wasting your time with WF. Fees? What a joke.
student

Post by student »

Just move your account. No need to stick with them for that kind of service.