How to find best mortgage rate

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
indexfunds

How to find best mortgage rate

Post by indexfunds »

Hi everyone,

We plan on purchasing a home soon in the New England area and are looking for a mortgage lender. With so many options available, how did you decide where to apply? We are looking for a 15-year fixed jumbo loan. I have received competitive quotes in the past from Chase, PNC, Wells Fargo, and a mortgage company. Which is usually better? Mortgage broker, online mortgage company, local mortgage company, credit union, or bank?

Thanks
w5000

Re: How to find best mortgage rate

Post by w5000 »

Not sure I have real concrete advice. Obviously a broker will do some "shopping" for you, so that's a time saver. But the last time I bought a house, I also checked with my local bank, and they had a much better rate. Oh, and isn't there a mega thread on bogleheads with mortgage / refinancing deals?
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

I've used online lenders for the last 20 or so years. Better and LenderFi are 2 mentioned here fairly often.

Many threads here on the topic (search at the top).
goblue102

Post by goblue102 »

It’s anecdotal, but I got the best rates on a conventional 30 yr from Bank of America last week. They beat the online regulars (Better, loan depot) and other banks by a fair bit. I shared that rate with a local lender where I’m shopping (Philadelphia area) and they improved their rate and got close enough that i locked with the local team. In part it was a desire to work with local people, and in part they convinced me that BoA has a poor track record of closing on time (which has been my experience in the past as well).

It doesn’t matter much for a refi, but we want to close our purchase on schedule. Overall it was a valuable bit of legwork to shop around. Good luck!
Topic Author
indexfunds

Post by indexfunds »

Thank you all for the response. I looked at the latest posts from that thread and it is mostly refinancing. We are purchasing a home for the first time.
The Man with the Axe

Post by The Man with the Axe »

For a basic home purchase a credit union may have the best rates.