Should I set more aside in college savings?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
miamivice

Should I set more aside in college savings?

Post by miamivice »

Went to a middle school open house last night. Gah! Not sure how my oldest is getting so big so fast.

Makes me realize that we really need to get serious about planning for college funding. Don't anticipate any Presidential scholarship or the like for either kid, maybe a couple local scholarships if we are lucky. Both kids are likely destined for a 4 year education from a state college. Either in state in our state or equivalent tuition through one of the tuition exchange programs.

Getting to the numbers, we have $237,000 saved up for college right. All money invested in lifecycle funds that gradually glide toward bonds the closer kids get to college.

One kid is 6 years from college, the other is 10 years from college.

Any thoughts if $237,000 today is enough for both kids?
student

Re: Should I set more aside in college savings?

Post by student »

If they go to a local state college, it is enough. I teach at mid-size state university and tuition plus fees is about $15k. Most students get some sort of financial assistance/grant. They can live at home to save on room and board.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

Actually, you may have over saved
VT & HFEA
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Ramjet wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:30 am Actually, you may have over saved
+1. I always open threads started by OP because it seems as if most are odd (entertaining) humblebrags.

We have ~$56k in 529s for our two kids (10 and 7), but $28k actually pays for 4yrs tuition + fees (plus a little left over) at our local public U. We're done saving. Silly to ask such a general question without knowing the cost of schools that will likely be considered.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed a post and several replies regarding student loan forgiveness (proposed legislation). Speculation about future legislation is prohibited by forum policy, see: Unacceptable Topics
Politics and Religion

In order to avoid the inevitable frictions that arise from these topics, political or religious posts and comments are prohibited. The only exceptions to this rule are:
  • Common religious expressions such as sending your prayers to an ailing member.
  • Usage of factual and non-derogatory political labels when necessary to the discussion at hand.
  • Discussions about enacted laws or regulations that affect the individual investor. Note that discussions of proposed legislation are prohibited.
  • Proposed regulations that are directly related to investing may be discussed if and when they are published for public comments.
This forum is focused on investing that is directly actionable to personal investors. We don't hold debates on conjecture.

The whole point of the policy is to (1) eliminate contentious disagreements that result from these discussions and (2) keep investors from making bad decisions. Proposed legislation changes many times between the time it's introduced and signed into law.

The best approach is to make your decision about current law. When the law changes, make your decision at that time.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.