Account locked at Treasury Direct and cannot get through on phone

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
willthrill81

Account locked at Treasury Direct and cannot get through on phone

Post by willthrill81 »

In the process of trying to log in to my Treasury Direct account, I accidentally locked it. They say that locked accounts can only be unlocked over the phone, but every time I try calling, the wait time is 90 minutes or more, usually 2+ hours. I once waited for over an hour, and the wait time only increased.

Any advice on how to deal with this?
“Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men.” J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings
BogleMelon

Re: Account locked at Treasury Direct and cannot get through on phone

Post by BogleMelon »

I read somewhere that others had better luck calling in the early morning. Looks like there is no other way around a phone call.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
Topic Author
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

BogleMelon wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:00 pm I read somewhere that others had better luck calling in the early morning. Looks like there is no other way around a phone call.
The trouble is that they open at 5 a.m. PST. Gag. :x
“Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men.” J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings
tidelandp

Post by tidelandp »

I seem to recall someone here getting through in less than an hour by calling as soon as they opened on a Friday.
Topic Author
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

tidelandp wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:09 pm I seem to recall someone here getting through in less than an hour by calling as soon as they opened on a Friday.
I might try that.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

It’s not a solution, but I find putting the phone on “Speaker” lets me do something else while waiting.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
ChiGuy

Post by ChiGuy »

On some other site, I read that you had the best chance of getting through if you called after 3 pm on Wednesday - Friday.
tidelandp

Post by tidelandp »

ChiGuy wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:16 pm On some other site, I read that you had the best chance of getting through if you called after 3 pm on Wednesday - Friday.
The one time I tried calling was around 4 pm ET, about midweek earlier this month. The system refused to put me in the queue because wait times then would take call past their closing. This is not a place that subscribes to putting the customer first.
VA_Gent

Post by VA_Gent »

Will,

Please fill us in on the "accidental lock procedure".
"In investing, what is comfortable is rarely profitable." - Robert Arnott
Topic Author
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

VA_Gent wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:53 pmPlease fill us in on the "accidental lock procedure".
The system asked me a security question, and I entered what I thought was the correct answer three times. I was apparently wrong, and the account is now locked. Now it seems that I have to get up before dawn and wait for hours to get it fixed.
Topic Author
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

tidelandp wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:28 pm
ChiGuy wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:16 pm On some other site, I read that you had the best chance of getting through if you called after 3 pm on Wednesday - Friday.
The one time I tried calling was around 4 pm ET, about midweek earlier this month. The system refused to put me in the queue because wait times then would take call past their closing. This is not a place that subscribes to putting the customer first.
I just called, and the message was 'We are closed due to a federal holiday.'

There is no federal holiday today.
Fremdon Ferndock

Post by Fremdon Ferndock »

This really creeps me out, since I've got $$ tied up at TD. I'm not sure I can even remember my security questions or answers. Can you get to that in your account at TD? I need to write this stuff down somewhere.
“Getting finances right is essential to 100-year life but money is far from being the most important resource. Family, friendships mental health and happiness are all crucial components” | – Lynda Gratton
Topic Author
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Fremdon Ferndock wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:53 pm This really creeps me out, since I've got $$ tied up at TD. I'm not sure I can even remember my security questions or answers. Can you get to that in your account at TD? I need to write this stuff down somewhere.
It's freaked out my DW a bit. Their phone message today about a federal holiday doesn't inspire confidence.
Fremdon Ferndock

I really, really sympathize because I can see myself right where you are. I basically fear TD so much that I'd like to liquidate all my I-Bonds and get the h**l out of there forever. But then they went ahead and started paying 8-9% on them. :oops: I also worry and worry about how my successors are going to deal with TD if I up and croak.
“Getting finances right is essential to 100-year life but money is far from being the most important resource. Family, friendships mental health and happiness are all crucial components” | – Lynda Gratton
Beachey

Post by Beachey »

I am in the same boat. I was on-hold an hour today before I gave up. The worst part is the phone keeps ringing with occasional messages, it is not even hold music let alone letting you enter a call back number.

At least I am on the East Coast so I can try at 8 AM though this is for my wife's account which means they likely are going to want to talk to her.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

willthrill81 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:03 pm
Fremdon Ferndock wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:53 pm This really creeps me out, since I've got $$ tied up at TD. I'm not sure I can even remember my security questions or answers. Can you get to that in your account at TD? I need to write this stuff down somewhere.
It's freaked out my DW a bit. Their phone message today about a federal holiday doesn't inspire confidence.
I was unnerved when they locked my account for simply adding/linking a new bank account. This was just before they implemented the process of forcing everyone to use the paper form and get a signature guarantee stamp to add/change a new bank :annoyed
If marketable bonds or savings accounts were yielding anything close to what Series I savings bonds are, I would have washed my hands of TD and closed the account... but for now I'm hanging on to what I have in them for the interest rates. :wink:
FWIW, when I was having issues with the account, the service representatives were very helpful once I was able to get them on the phone.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

willthrill81 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:25 pm
VA_Gent wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:53 pmPlease fill us in on the "accidental lock procedure".
The system asked me a security question, and I entered what I thought was the correct answer three times. I was apparently wrong, and the account is now locked. Now it seems that I have to get up before dawn and wait for hours to get it fixed.
Why did TD ask security questions? TD only ever asks me for the code from my email for 2FA.
Youngblood

Post by Youngblood »

willthrill81 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:03 pm
Thanks for this post Willthrill. The Kafkaesque nightmare is a warning for the rest of us to be ever so careful when logging in.

Good luck!
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch
enuff

Post by enuff »

These stories make me glad I never pulled the trigger on TD. I Bonds look very attractive these days, but the first time I went to TreasuryDirect.gov and saw that it looked like it was made with Geocities or Angelfire in 1997, I said nope. I wish they would simply allow I Bonds to be bought through brokers, that would be great. I refuse to sign up for a site that antiquated, requires paper forms to be signed by a bank just to switch bank accounts, and has no customer service.
Fremdon Ferndock

So, to answer my own question I just logged onto TD. I finally found the security questions as a selection under Manage Direct. In order to get there I had to answer one of my security questions and thankfully passed. I wouldn't have tried again if it had failed. So, I reviewed them (you select 3) and made a change in one that might have hung me up in the future. Then I copied all three answers down and saved them so my future demented self might be able to remember. :confused
hornet96

Post by hornet96 »

Exhibit A of why we will never deal with Treasury Direct again, no matter how appealing iBonds may be.

Good luck Will, sorry you have to deal with this unprofessional (and unnecessary) hassle.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Fremdon Ferndock wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:27 pm So, to answer my own question I just logged onto TD. I finally found the security questions as a selection under Manage Direct. In order to get there I had to answer one of my security questions and thankfully passed. I wouldn't have tried again if it had failed. So, I reviewed them (you select 3) and made a change in one that might have hung me up in the future. Then I copied all three answers down and saved them so my future demented self might be able to remember. :confused
Do people normally not keep that information some where safe?
Topic Author
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

anon_investor wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:23 pm
Why did TD ask security questions? TD only ever asks me for the code from my email for 2FA.
I believe it's because I tried to change my password.
Fremdon Ferndock

anon_investor wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:29 pm
Fremdon Ferndock wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:27 pm So, to answer my own question I just logged onto TD. I finally found the security questions as a selection under Manage Direct. In order to get there I had to answer one of my security questions and thankfully passed. I wouldn't have tried again if it had failed. So, I reviewed them (you select 3) and made a change in one that might have hung me up in the future. Then I copied all three answers down and saved them so my future demented self might be able to remember. :confused
Do people normally not keep that information some where safe?
Apparently my future demented self is already here. :x
Topic Author
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

I've never recorded my answers to security questions before, but I'll certainly do so with this once I get it unlocked.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

willthrill81 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:30 pm
Yikes. We haven't called TD in a couple of years, but when we did, we never had an issue getting someone on the phone within a relatively short period of time. I guess times have changed.
Topic Author
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Beachey wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:08 pm I am in the same boat. I was on-hold an hour today before I gave up. The worst part is the phone keeps ringing with occasional messages, it is not even hold music let alone letting you enter a call back number.
This would be FAR better if they would call you back.
Topic Author
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

anon_investor wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:35 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:30 pm
Yikes. We haven't called TD in a couple of years, but when we did, we never had an issue getting someone on the phone within a relatively short period of time. I guess times have changed.
I wouldn't be surprised if TD is overwhelmed with new customers. The inflows to I bonds since last year have been enormous.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

willthrill81 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:33 pm
I've never recorded my answers to security questions before, but I'll certainly do so with this once I get it unlocked.
We keep such information in a double encrypted file (password protected Word file in a Veracrypt file).
Topic Author
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

anon_investor wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:36 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:33 pm
We keep such information in a double encrypted file (password protected Word file in a Veracrypt file).
I also record passwords in an encrypted document, but I'll certainly do the same with the TD security questions now.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

On a whim I decided to check my TD security questions... I was fairly certain I would know the answers, but was then confronted with a question about someone's "name" ... of which I couldn't remember if I would have provided "First Last" , just "Lastname", or "Mr./Mrs. Lastname" :shock:
I made a guess, thankfully I guessed correctly ;)
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

Fremdon Ferndock wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:27 pm So, to answer my own question I just logged onto TD. I finally found the security questions as a selection under Manage Direct. In order to get there I had to answer one of my security questions and thankfully passed. I wouldn't have tried again if it had failed. So, I reviewed them (you select 3) and made a change in one that might have hung me up in the future. Then I copied all three answers down and saved them so my future demented self might be able to remember.
You don’t have to fail a “security” question to lock the account. I was attempting to update my email address. It presented a security question. Not wanting to give a wrong answer, I logged out without answering it, opened my password safe to get the answers, and then logged back in to TD. When I then clicked the icon to edit info in my profile, the TD system said “Too many tries” and locked the account.
My postings are my opinion, and never should be construed as a recommendation to buy, sell, or hold any particular investment.
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:14 pm It’s not a solution, but I find putting the phone on “Speaker” lets me do something else while waiting.
Yes, and when you are still on hold at 12:45pm PST after 90 minutes of waiting, the speaker will convey a message that TD is now closed, please call back when we are open.
My postings are my opinion, and never should be construed as a recommendation to buy, sell, or hold any particular investment.
Fremdon Ferndock

Northern Flicker wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:40 pm
Fremdon Ferndock wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:27 pm So, to answer my own question I just logged onto TD. I finally found the security questions as a selection under Manage Direct. In order to get there I had to answer one of my security questions and thankfully passed. I wouldn't have tried again if it had failed. So, I reviewed them (you select 3) and made a change in one that might have hung me up in the future. Then I copied all three answers down and saved them so my future demented self might be able to remember.
You don’t have to fail a “security” question to lock the account. I was attempting to update my email address. It presented a security question. Not wanting to give a wrong answer, I logged out without answering it, opened my password safe to get the answers, and then logged back in to TD. When I then clicked the icon to edit info in my profile, the TD system said “Too many tries” and locked the account.
This is exactly the sort of thing that makes me anxious. Whenever I'm on that website, I'm holding my breath that I don't do something that will trip the lockout trigger. Then I try to get done before I pass out from holding my breath too long.
secondopinion

Post by secondopinion »

willthrill81 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:02 pm
BogleMelon wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:00 pm I read somewhere that others had better luck calling in the early morning. Looks like there is no other way around a phone call.
The trouble is that they open at 5 a.m. PST. Gag. :x
I know this problem. Not fun.
Passive investing: not about making big bucks but making profits. Active investing: not about beating the market but meeting goals. Speculation: not about timing the market but taking profitable risks.
tidelandp

Post by tidelandp »

willthrill81 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:27 pm

Maybe they decided to grant themselves an early start to Memorial Day weekend?.
Last edited by tidelandp on Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tidelandp

Post by tidelandp »

tidelandp wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:44 pm

Maybe they decided to grant themselves an early start to Memorial Day weekend?
Topic Author
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Maybe they decided to grant themselves an early start to Memorial Day weekend? Seriously, this coming Friday would probably not be a good day to call. It's way too close to an actual holiday.
Memorial Day is the next holiday, and it's on May 30th.
czaj

Post by czaj »

Thursday SHOULD be the worst day to call because it’s the last day to request a purchase for the month. Calling Friday would be too late for an April purchase. Though I’m sure some people will surely be surprised and disappointed.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

willthrill81 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:46 pm

Maybe they decided to grant themselves an early start to Memorial Day weekend? Seriously, this coming Friday would probably not be a good day to call. It's way too close to an actual holiday.
Memorial Day is the next holiday, and it's on May 30th.
Yup, that must be it. Too close to the next holiday! Heh! :wink:

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Fremdon Ferndock

czaj wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:49 pm Thursday SHOULD be the worst day to call because it’s the last day to request a purchase for the month. Calling Friday would be too late for an April purchase. Though I’m sure some people will surely be surprised and disappointed.
Who buys I-Bonds over the phone? I didn't even know you could do that. That's what the gnarly website is for.
dual

Post by dual »

Maybe we can come up with some rules for accessing and navigating the treasury direct website. Here are my rules:

Have access to all your account numbers, login ids (do not recall if they use these), passwords, and answers to security questions before you attempt to login.

Make sure you are ready to receive the email with the code.

Once on the website, navigate only with the website links. Never use the back button on your browser.

I’m not sure it is required but it is probably safer to use the logout button than to simply close your browser at the end of the session.
tidelandp

Post by tidelandp »

I have printout of page when I set up security questions. Based on preface ("If you forget your account number or password, we'll use these questions to confirm your identity. We may also require you to answer one of your security questions when you attempt to perform certain transactions."), don't be surprised if you're presented with questions again when you succeed in getting through to a rep to unlock account.

If it helps, these were my selection of questions: Who was your best friend in high school? What was your first pet's name? What was your favorite teacher's name? What was the first car you owned? Who would you most like to meet? What is the locations of your dream vacation? Who is your favorite author? What is your favorite movie?
Goodenoughforme

Post by Goodenoughforme »

I feel sympathy for the OP. This happened to me last year. I eventually got through by calling first thing in the morning and waiting on hold for approximately an hour.
Once I got through they were very helpful unlocking my account.
A lot of people like IBonds now so I am sure that’s why there’s a long wait time.
Below note information from a recent Wall Street Journal article.
“Americans snatched up nearly $11 billion in these bonds over the past six months, compared with around $1.2 billion during the same period in 2020 and 2021, according to Treasury Department records. That figure will likely rise even higher when the interest rate jumps next month.”
John Bogle- You have the ability to control: Risk, Time, and Cost, but not Reward in Investing!
Fremdon Ferndock

Maybe some of you remember the "Soup Nazi" on Seinfeld. Sold great soup, people lined up to buy a bowl. If you didn't follow the protocol exactly for standing in line and ordering your soup, he yelled "no soup for you!" and kicked you out of the shop. That's sorta what navigating around the TD website feels like to me. No Soup For You Willthrill!"
HeelaMonster

Post by HeelaMonster »

You will find similar scenarios described in more recent posts on this thread, along with tips on resolving.

viewtopic.php?t=356280

For me, what finally worked was to call first thing in the morning (eastern time zone), and then it "only" took 30 minutes on hold. Once we got the account unlocked, first thing I did was review/revise security questions, to make sure they weren't things I could inadvertently misspell.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

willthrill81 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:53 pm In the process of trying to log in to my Treasury Direct account, I accidentally locked it. They say that locked accounts can only be unlocked over the phone, but every time I try calling, the wait time is 90 minutes or more, usually 2+ hours. I once waited for over an hour, and the wait time only increased.

I called in the middle of the afternoon two days ago, Monday, probably not the best time. I was told 90min to start, From there the times only stayed the same or went down. The 90min was pretty accurate. The rep didn't seem too stressed by the time I got through; the rep was helpful and knowledgeable.
Topic Author
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

tibbitts wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:00 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:53 pm In the process of trying to log in to my Treasury Direct account, I accidentally locked it. They say that locked accounts can only be unlocked over the phone, but every time I try calling, the wait time is 90 minutes or more, usually 2+ hours. I once waited for over an hour, and the wait time only increased.

I called in the middle of the afternoon two days ago, Monday, probably not the best time. I was told 90min to start, From there the times only stayed the same or went down. The 90min was pretty accurate. The rep didn't seem too stressed by the time I got through; the rep was helpful and knowledgeable.
Before I get up at 5 a.m. to try to get them as soon as they open, I'll probably call them again early one day next week, maybe Tuesday.
czaj

Post by czaj »

Fremdon Ferndock wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:55 pm
czaj wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:49 pm Thursday SHOULD be the worst day to call because it’s the last day to request a purchase for the month. Calling Friday would be too late for an April purchase. Though I’m sure some people will surely be surprised and disappointed.
Who buys I-Bonds over the phone? I didn't even know you could do that. That's what the gnarly website is for.
I’m sure someone does (if it’s possible?). But I was more referencing someone who needs their account unlocked and wants to purchase April bonds needs to do so before Friday.
OuterBanks

Post by OuterBanks »

Create a notecard with your account # and password and save it in safe location. Also write down the three security questions and answers you used. Hopefully you used fake answers and not answers a hacker might be able to research in you. You will be asked these questions when making any significant changes to your account.