Unauthorized trading fidelity

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Alex39
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:09 pm

Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by Alex39 »

Hi

Today 4/4, I noticed a margin debt of $~350k on my individual Fidelity account.
Turns out there has been a margin purchase of 1000 shares on 3/29 that resulted in this debt. I never placed this order and no one has access to my profile.
I am sure I did not see this activity on 3/30 when I did a small cash purchase on the account.
Interestingly, I never got a message in the app inbox or an email about the margin debt (I always get such messages about the margin debts, most recently three days before that).

I contacted fidelity and they said they don't see suspicious activity on my account, and the fact that I didn't get a message is an "electronic glitch". They said I should file a police report if I think my phone has been hacked.

I am absolutely sure this was an unauthorized purchase since (1) the number of shares is 1000 (not a random number) (2) I didn't get any notifications.

Any suggestions? Any similar experiences?
Thanks for the input
yobery
Posts: 446
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:27 am

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by yobery »

Change your password. Turn on 2 factor authentication. Escalate your issue up the chain, look through your account history to see if there is any additional info
User avatar
Nate79
Posts: 8182
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:24 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by Nate79 »

Alex39 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:48 pm Hi

Today 4/4, I noticed a margin debt of $~350k on my individual Fidelity account.
Turns out there has been a margin purchase of 1000 shares on 3/29 that resulted in this debt. I never placed this order and no one has access to my profile.
I am sure I did not see this activity on 3/30 when I did a small cash purchase on the account.
Interestingly, I never got a message in the app inbox or an email about the margin debt (I always get such messages about the margin debts, most recently three days before that).

I contacted fidelity and they said they don't see suspicious activity on my account, and the fact that I didn't get a message is an "electronic glitch". They said I should file a police report if I think my phone has been hacked.

I am absolutely sure this was an unauthorized purchase since (1) the number of shares is 1000 (not a random number) (2) I didn't get any notifications.

Any suggestions? Any similar experiences?
Thanks for the input
What did the police do when you filed the police report as Fidelity suggested?
Topic Author
Alex39
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:09 pm

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by Alex39 »

I haven't filed a police report. Don't think it's my compromised password. It is fidelity itself
investorpeter
Posts: 392
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:46 pm

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by investorpeter »

You have to look at it from Fidelity's point of view. They might think this was a legitimate trade made by you, which you now regret, so you are alleging it was unauthorized to have it reversed. I'm not at all saying that's what happened, but it may be what they are thinking, and that is why they are suggesting you file a police report, as a sign of your sincerity.

It could also be a completely random glitch. Maybe a trade for another account somehow got mixed up with yours - someone with a similar name or SS#. That type of mistake is more of the kind of thing I would have expected from Vanguard than Fidelity, but it could happen. I remember when one of my retirement accounts was transferred to Fidelity, there was a glitch on the first day where I could log-in and see a random person's account with a completely different name. I didn't try to make any trades, but who knows what would have happened if I did.

If this isn't a random software glitch, there almost certainly has to be more to the story. A scam or theft attempt seems unlikely to me. If someone did access your account somehow, I don't see what would be gained by purchasing 1000 shares of a random company. The usual M.O. would be to try to transfer cash to an external account - at most there would be an order to SELL stocks to generate cash, and then an attempt to transfer the cash elsewhere. But to BUY shares just seems odd. Was it a penny stock? Was it a stock you had previously purchased or was on your watchlist? Could a child or someone else had access to the computer while you were still logged in? Do you have a loss on the 1000 shares held?
123
Posts: 8538
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:55 pm

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by 123 »

Alex39 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:22 pm ...Today 4/4, I noticed a margin debt of $~350k on my individual Fidelity account.
Turns out there has been a margin purchase of 1000 shares on 3/29 that resulted in this debt. I never placed this order and no one has access to my profile...
You should ask Fidelity to reverse/cancel the trade as unauthorized if they have not done so already.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
investorpeter
Posts: 392
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:46 pm

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by investorpeter »

Alex39 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:10 pm I haven't filed a police report. Don't think it's my compromised password. It is fidelity itself
Even so, you should change your password. And check that the email associated with your Fidelity account has not been changed. That may be why you never received a notification.

If you push, Fidelity may have records of the IP address from which the recent trades were made.
Topic Author
Alex39
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:09 pm

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by Alex39 »

investorpeter wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:25 pm You have to look at it from Fidelity's point of view. They might think this was a legitimate trade made by you, which you now regret, so you are alleging it was unauthorized to have it reversed. I'm not at all saying that's what happened, but it may be what they are thinking, and that is why they are suggesting you file a police report, as a sign of your sincerity.

It could also be a completely random glitch. Maybe a trade for another account somehow got mixed up with yours - someone with a similar name or SS#. That type of mistake is more of the kind of thing I would have expected from Vanguard than Fidelity, but it could happen. I remember when one of my retirement accounts was transferred to Fidelity, there was a glitch on the first day where I could log-in and see a random person's account with a completely different name. I didn't try to make any trades, but who knows what would have happened if I did.

If this isn't a random software glitch, there almost certainly has to be more to the story. A scam or theft attempt seems unlikely to me. If someone did access your account somehow, I don't see what would be gained by purchasing 1000 shares of a random company. The usual M.O. would be to try to transfer cash to an external account - at most there would be an order to SELL stocks to generate cash, and then an attempt to transfer the cash elsewhere. But to BUY shares just seems odd. Was it a penny stock? Was it a stock you had previously purchased or was on your watchlist? Could a child or someone else had access to the computer while you were still logged in? Do you have a loss on the 1000 shares held?
Exactly, that's why I think this is a glitch/operator error and not a fraud. I had a few shares of the same stock and it was on my watch list, but I had no plan to buy more. No one else besides me lives in the household, and at the time of trade, I was home alone. I have checked the login/email/phone on the account, they are correct. Since the transaction, the stock has been down 8%, but I gotta sell it soon cause I cannot afford the debt.
I have no problem filing a police report (and probably will do) but not sure what they will end up doing given that my phone is fine.
Topic Author
Alex39
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:09 pm

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by Alex39 »

investorpeter wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:32 pm
Alex39 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:10 pm I haven't filed a police report. Don't think it's my compromised password. It is fidelity itself
Even so, you should change your password. And check that the email associated with your Fidelity account has not been changed. That may be why you never received a notification.

If you push, Fidelity may have records of the IP address from which the recent trades were made.
Already changed the password. The email is the same, I got emails for other stuff from fidelity. Surprisingly, after hours of talking with them, they didn't give me much detail on the transaction (e.g. IP address). You'd assume they have all that. Will push again tomorrow
gtrplayer
Posts: 228
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:13 pm

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by gtrplayer »

Alex39 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:04 pm
investorpeter wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:32 pm
Alex39 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:10 pm I haven't filed a police report. Don't think it's my compromised password. It is fidelity itself
Even so, you should change your password. And check that the email associated with your Fidelity account has not been changed. That may be why you never received a notification.

If you push, Fidelity may have records of the IP address from which the recent trades were made.
Already changed the password. The email is the same, I got emails for other stuff from fidelity. Surprisingly, after hours of talking with them, they didn't give me much detail on the transaction (e.g. IP address). You'd assume they have all that. Will push again tomorrow
Fidelity should definitely be able to see if someone signed into the app from a device you don’t normally use. If a customer service rep just dismissed it out of hand, escalate more until it gets with the fraud department.
exodusNH
Posts: 3644
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:21 pm

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by exodusNH »

Alex39 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:01 pm
investorpeter wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:25 pm You have to look at it from Fidelity's point of view. They might think this was a legitimate trade made by you, which you now regret, so you are alleging it was unauthorized to have it reversed. I'm not at all saying that's what happened, but it may be what they are thinking, and that is why they are suggesting you file a police report, as a sign of your sincerity.

It could also be a completely random glitch. Maybe a trade for another account somehow got mixed up with yours - someone with a similar name or SS#. That type of mistake is more of the kind of thing I would have expected from Vanguard than Fidelity, but it could happen. I remember when one of my retirement accounts was transferred to Fidelity, there was a glitch on the first day where I could log-in and see a random person's account with a completely different name. I didn't try to make any trades, but who knows what would have happened if I did.

If this isn't a random software glitch, there almost certainly has to be more to the story. A scam or theft attempt seems unlikely to me. If someone did access your account somehow, I don't see what would be gained by purchasing 1000 shares of a random company. The usual M.O. would be to try to transfer cash to an external account - at most there would be an order to SELL stocks to generate cash, and then an attempt to transfer the cash elsewhere. But to BUY shares just seems odd. Was it a penny stock? Was it a stock you had previously purchased or was on your watchlist? Could a child or someone else had access to the computer while you were still logged in? Do you have a loss on the 1000 shares held?
Exactly, that's why I think this is a glitch/operator error and not a fraud. I had a few shares of the same stock and it was on my watch list, but I had no plan to buy more. No one else besides me lives in the household, and at the time of trade, I was home alone. I have checked the login/email/phone on the account, they are correct. Since the transaction, the stock has been down 8%, but I gotta sell it soon cause I cannot afford the debt.
I have no problem filing a police report (and probably will do) but not sure what they will end up doing given that my phone is fine.
Filing a false police report is a crime. By having you filing a report, you're demonstrating that you believe this is fraudulent and not simply buyer's remorse.

I would ask them to provide you your login history of this isn't something you're able to see yourself.

Do you use any aggregation services like Mint to track your various accounts?

It does seem like an unusual situation for fraud since no one was able to get any money out of your account. These were $350 a share stocks, not some penny stock someone was trying to pump. If someone had sold a box spread and pulled the funds into a bank account, that would make more sense.

Also, usually fraud would be for a smaller amount to reduce the risk of being found out.

Does your account have a history of large margin purchases?
User avatar
galawdawg
Posts: 3763
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:59 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by galawdawg »

Alex39 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:22 pm Today 4/4, I noticed a margin debt of $~350k on my individual Fidelity account.
Turns out there has been a margin purchase of 1000 shares on 3/29 that resulted in this debt.

I am sure I did not see this activity on 3/30 when I did a small cash purchase on the account.

Interestingly, I never got a message in the app inbox or an email about the margin debt (I always get such messages about the margin debts, most recently three days before that).
Alex39 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:01 pm I had a few shares of the same stock and it was on my watch list, but I had no plan to buy more.
Very odd circumstances indeed. You create an account to post this thread explaining that while you actually have a margin account, you actually own shares of the stock purchased using margin and that you were on the Fidelity website on March 30, the day after the 1000 share margin purchase, and failed to notice or report any discrepancies, nonetheless there was unauthorized trading on your account on March 29. No funds were removed from your account, no unauthorized or suspicious transfers....just a purchase of a stock you have purchased before using a margin account that you have established.

You contact Fidelity, they tell you they see no suspicious activity on your account (which would presumably mean that they do not see a logon from an unfamiliar IP address) and they tell you to file a police report if you believe your device has been compromised. However, you don't contact police as you believe your phone has not been compromised and that nobody but Fidelity could have done this.

Do you use one or more account aggregator services? What is the ticker of the stock involved? Have you strictly complied with the unauthorized activity process outlined in the Fidelity Customer Protection Guarantee?
rkhusky
Posts: 12564
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:09 pm

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by rkhusky »

Alex39 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:22 pm I contacted fidelity and they said they don't see suspicious activity on my account, and the fact that I didn't get a message is an "electronic glitch".
Wonder what kind of glitch would cause Fidelity to not send a particular email, when emails for the same thing had been sent a few days prior?
exodusNH
Posts: 3644
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:21 pm

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by exodusNH »

rkhusky wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:53 am
Alex39 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:22 pm I contacted fidelity and they said they don't see suspicious activity on my account, and the fact that I didn't get a message is an "electronic glitch".
Wonder what kind of glitch would cause Fidelity to not send a particular email, when emails for the same thing had been sent a few days prior?
Having been involved in email deliverability, it could have been as simple as a glitch at his provider that returned a permanent error that stopped Fidelity from retrying.

1000 shares are 10 options contracts. I know little about options, but I wonder if a long-forgotten option exercised. Or a lingering GTC order completed.

"Buy 1000 shares of a $350 stock" is very bizarre fraudulent behavior. Had it been 1,000,000 shares of a $0.35 stock, it would make more sense.
rkhusky
Posts: 12564
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:09 pm

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by rkhusky »

exodusNH wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:22 am Having been involved in email deliverability, it could have been as simple as a glitch at his provider that returned a permanent error that stopped Fidelity from retrying.
But the fact that it occurred only for this particular transaction is suspicious. Could just be coincidental. Hope the OP tracks it down.
User avatar
JoMoney
Posts: 13487
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:31 am

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by JoMoney »

If there was unauthroized activity in your account, notify Fidelity immediately, get your account secured, and If they tell you to file a police report, file a police report immediately. This is not something to waste time arguing about what you "think" happened or is happening.

https://www.fidelity.com/security/report-an-issue
https://www.fidelity.com/security/custo ... -guarantee
...
What if I have a claim?
We will ask for your cooperation with our investigation and may require you to take follow up actions. For example, we may ask you to have a professional computer security company clean your computer hard-drive or may ask you to file a police report, provide an affidavit, take steps to recover the funds from a wrongdoer known to you or sign a release. Fidelity will determine the applicability of the Customer Protection Guarantee and any reimbursement amounts based on the facts of your situation. We do not cover taxes, legal fees, lost opportunity costs, consequential/non-monetary damages or amounts that have been or are eligible to be reimbursed, for example, by a depository bank or through insurance.
Be glad you're at Fidelity, which is one of the few brokerages that actually have a stated "Customer Protection Guarantee" with regard to this type of potential fraud.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=355944
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
User avatar
JazzTime
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:43 am

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by JazzTime »

I hope the OP will keep us informed of the final resolution of this mystery.

There are two issues: The lack of email notification and the trade.

Email: For any trade, Fidelity sends me two notifications. The first is when the trade executes - immediately upon execution. The second is the trade confirmation, which arrives late night or early morning. It would be very odd if somehow Fidelity failed to notify you this ONE time.

Trade: Do you trade options? For example, have you sold puts for this security? It is possible that options can be exercised early, well before expiration. That happened to me many years ago. I checked my email one morning and found I was the proud new owner of XXXX shares, many more shares than I would have ever purchased. While unexpected, I did at least get an email confirmation of the trade.

As others have pointed out, it would be highly unusual for a fraudster to simply buy shares in your account. There would be nothing to gain. On the other hand, it would be terrifying to open my account one day and see trading activity that was not done by me.

I have my accounts in lockdown mode so no one could actually transfer funds out of the account. Then again, if someone could get into my account, presumably they might be clever enough to circumvent the lockdown by spoofing my phone number.

So OP, please kindly keep us updated.
User avatar
JoeRetire
Posts: 12429
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by JoeRetire »

Alex39 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:04 pm Already changed the password. The email is the same, I got emails for other stuff from fidelity. Surprisingly, after hours of talking with them, they didn't give me much detail on the transaction (e.g. IP address). You'd assume they have all that. Will push again tomorrow
They have all that.
That doesn't mean they would give it to you.
If I owned a company, my employees would love me. They’d have huge pictures of me up the walls and in their home, like Lenin.
rkhusky
Posts: 12564
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:09 pm

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by rkhusky »

JazzTime wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:53 am As others have pointed out, it would be highly unusual for a fraudster to simply buy shares in your account. There would be nothing to gain.
Some hackers just like to prank. Could be a disgruntled employee, but presumably Fidelity has a record of everyone that touches a customer account. Could just be an employee mistake.
User avatar
HueyLD
Posts: 8991
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:30 am

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by HueyLD »

It may also be a good idea to remove the margin feature from your Fido account.
User avatar
mrmass
Posts: 741
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: MA

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by mrmass »

I wonder if the OP is using 2FA with the Auth App from Symantec, or the text to a phone number?
Suntan1
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:34 pm

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by Suntan1 »

Alex39 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:22 pm Hi

Today 4/4, I noticed a margin debt of $~350k on my individual Fidelity account.
Turns out there has been a margin purchase of 1000 shares on 3/29 that resulted in this debt. I never placed this order and no one has access to my profile.
I am sure I did not see this activity on 3/30 when I did a small cash purchase on the account.
Interestingly, I never got a message in the app inbox or an email about the margin debt (I always get such messages about the margin debts, most recently three days before that).

I contacted fidelity and they said they don't see suspicious activity on my account, and the fact that I didn't get a message is an "electronic glitch". They said I should file a police report if I think my phone has been hacked.

I am absolutely sure this was an unauthorized purchase since (1) the number of shares is 1000 (not a random number) (2) I didn't get any notifications.

Any suggestions? Any similar experiences?
Thanks for the input
Happened to me with my Vanguard account. Had a 3 million margin call! Called customer service and margin call was reversed. It took 10 business days to fix after initial call. Vanguard never explained or admitted anything.

Call Fidelity so they can fix their mistake.
lstone19
Posts: 1565
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:33 pm

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by lstone19 »

Two points:

Everyone is assuming this trade was placed online. Perhaps it was placed by phone with a representative. Plus I can't see what a hacker gets by placing a buy in the OP's account other than to cause him grief but no guaranteed loss.

Second, regarding email, I've noticed in the past that Fidelity (and Schwab) treat temporary email errors as permanent. Temporary errors are things like the mail server doesn't respond (could be down - either planned or unplanned) and the correct action is to try again later (depending on how a mail server, could be a few minutes to a few hours later). While the mega mail providers have a lot of redundancy, a lot of smaller mail servers have no redundancy so temporary errors are relatively common (I used to run my own mail server at home - if I was upgrading the operating system or mail software, I'd be down for a few minutes. If my Internet link went down, I could be down a few hours). It violated Internet mail protocols to treat temporary errors as permanent but some companies take the view that if it can't be delivered immediately, it must not longer be valid (kind of like making a voice call to someone and if they don't answer, conclude they moved or worse).
User avatar
Watty
Posts: 24949
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by Watty »

I have never had to deal with something like this but in unrelated things I have had to deal with one thing I learned is that it is important for you to follow their set procedures exactly.

Be sure to dig through their web site and find out what there procedures are and follow them closely.

They have told you to file a police report so if you do not do that then not doing what they said that could hurt your chances of getting restitution even if you were hacked. You may want to file the police report and then call them back and say "what now". They may then escalate it.

I would also send them written letters by certified mail to document what you have told them.
enuff
Posts: 174
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:22 am

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by enuff »

Might want to rethink having margin enabled. For the same reason I don’t mess with Options and all of that, I don’t think much good comes from anything other than straight forward buying and selling. Keep it simple, pay cash for trades, and eliminate unnecessary hassle and risk for your life. I’m sure Bogle would approve.
User avatar
greg24
Posts: 4183
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:34 am

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by greg24 »

If you had a large fraudulent purchase happen on your Fidelity account, don't let the answer from one phone operator be the end of your Fidelity communication.

You need to demand to go up the chain. One simple "no" from first tier support is not enough. Demand a manager, call the CEO, post on twitter, etc.
drk
Posts: 3467
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:33 pm
Location: Overlooking Elliott Bay

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by drk »

exodusNH wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:22 am 1000 shares are 10 options contracts. I know little about options, but I wonder if a long-forgotten option exercised. Or a lingering GTC order completed.
FIdelity auto-exercises ITM options at expiration, so the former is possible, but the date makes me think the latter is more likely.
bberris
Posts: 1945
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:44 am

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by bberris »

lstone19 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:36 am
...
Everyone is assuming this trade was placed online. Perhaps it was placed by phone with a representative. Plus I can't see what a hacker gets by placing a buy in the OP's account other than to cause him grief but no guaranteed loss.

...
Depends on the stock. If this was a thinly traded penny, fraudulent trades can be used to boost the stock. But usually this fraud is carried out through wash trades between colluding accounts.
richard.h.gao
Posts: 271
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:34 pm

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by richard.h.gao »

Alex39 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:22 pm They said I should file a police report if I think my phone has been hacked.
Wow not very helpful are they.
Marseille07
Posts: 9281
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:41 pm

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by Marseille07 »

drk wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:19 am
exodusNH wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:22 am 1000 shares are 10 options contracts. I know little about options, but I wonder if a long-forgotten option exercised. Or a lingering GTC order completed.
FIdelity auto-exercises ITM options at expiration, so the former is possible, but the date makes me think the latter is more likely.
Yeah I was thinking this might have been options related. It's concerning though if they had a GTC order and forgot about it.
85% US + FM + RSU | 15% Cash
drk
Posts: 3467
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:33 pm
Location: Overlooking Elliott Bay

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by drk »

Marseille07 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:29 am Yeah I was thinking this might have been options related. It's concerning though if they had a GTC order and forgot about it.
Now that I think about it again, the date makes sense as settlement for options exercised on March 25. Maybe OP had 10 $350 QQQ calls and forgot to sell them.
User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 9972
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by TheTimeLord »

Alex39 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:10 pm I haven't filed a police report. Don't think it's my compromised password. It is fidelity itself
You think Fidelity placed the trade, or someone hacked Fidelity to mysteriously purchase shares in your account? So what is the motivation behind this unauthorized trade? Is Fidelity trying to run up your margin interest, a benevolent hacker trying to get you into a good stock or is a CEO hacking accounts on Fidelity with hopes of driving their stock price up by purchasing shares in strangers account? Or do you think this is just a glitch of some sort?
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Marseille07
Posts: 9281
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:41 pm

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by Marseille07 »

drk wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:37 am
Marseille07 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:29 am Yeah I was thinking this might have been options related. It's concerning though if they had a GTC order and forgot about it.
Now that I think about it again, the date makes sense as settlement for options exercised on March 25. Maybe OP had 10 $350 QQQ calls and forgot to sell them.
The OP should check their order history / status. I don't do options but pretty sure some trace of their activities would be available.
85% US + FM + RSU | 15% Cash
drk
Posts: 3467
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:33 pm
Location: Overlooking Elliott Bay

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by drk »

Marseille07 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:45 am The OP should check their order history / status. I don't do options but pretty sure some trace of their activities would be available.
Most definitely. No offense to the OP, but omitting details that they clearly have ("a margin purchase of 1000 shares on 3/29") makes me skeptical that this was a hack or whatever.
starboi
Posts: 267
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:33 am

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by starboi »

OP you may have had a short put option assigned or maybe a long call option exercised.
lazynovice
Posts: 2724
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:48 pm

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by lazynovice »

A hack seems unlikely. If you are going to risk prison for financial fraud, you steal money. You don’t place a trade in an account and leave it there.

It’s possible someone placed a phone trade and the rep chose the wrong account but given all the verification steps you go through on the phone, that seems unlikely as well.

I’d file a police report if that is what Fidelity told me to do.
H-Town
Posts: 4396
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:08 pm

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by H-Town »

I always got alert notification from Fidelity both from the app and from emails. Vanguard also sent me a text when an order is placed, and it sends me an email for trade confirmation. Those are expected.
Time is the ultimate currency.
User avatar
JamesSFO
Posts: 3345
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:16 pm

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by JamesSFO »

If you genuinely believe this to be fraudulent, highly recommend you file a police report. You are much more likely to get help from Fidelity.
alex_686
Posts: 10358
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:39 pm

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by alex_686 »

drk wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:19 am
exodusNH wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:22 am 1000 shares are 10 options contracts. I know little about options, but I wonder if a long-forgotten option exercised. Or a lingering GTC order completed.
FIdelity auto-exercises ITM options at expiration, so the former is possible, but the date makes me think the latter is more likely.
A nit, but it is a exchange requirement - so this would be true no matter where the OP was doing business.
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.
User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 9972
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by TheTimeLord »

JamesSFO wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:28 pm If you genuinely believe this to be fraudulent, highly recommend you file a police report. You are much more likely to get help from Fidelity.
It is my understanding companies require police reports in cases like this to prevent users from making fraudulent or frivolous claims since it is legal to file a false report.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Dukethegator
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:54 am

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by Dukethegator »

File a police report. And hope you weren't on something like ambien that made you trade in your sleep.
User avatar
JazzTime
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:43 am

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by JazzTime »

drk wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:37 am
Marseille07 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:29 am Yeah I was thinking this might have been options related. It's concerning though if they had a GTC order and forgot about it.
Now that I think about it again, the date makes sense as settlement for options exercised on March 25. Maybe OP had 10 $350 QQQ calls and forgot to sell them.
It would be helpful if the OP would indicate if he trades options and if he possibly had outstanding options in this security. I don't recall exactly how Fidelity reports option exercises, but I suspect that the activity history would delineate the trade as an option exercise vs a straightforward purchase. Then again, I just don't recall how it was done in my situation many years ago.

Also, option exercise can occur AT ANY TIME, not just at expiration. I learned that the hard way when, prior to extricating a short put position, I found myself the proud owner of way too many shares. That won't happen again. If I have a short put position that is ITM, I roll it out before it can be exercised - i.e., well before the expiration date.
drk
Posts: 3467
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:33 pm
Location: Overlooking Elliott Bay

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by drk »

alex_686 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:31 pm A nit, but it is a exchange requirement - so this would be true no matter where the OP was doing business.
Huh! I didn't know that. I assumed that brokers would close out the position if the customer didn't have sufficient cash or margin to exercise.

NB: this assumption did not influence my behavior, so no need for warnings. :beer
JazzTime wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:49 pm Also, option exercise can occur AT ANY TIME, not just at expiration.
That's true. Maybe OP was short an American-style put option and just ... forgot. :oops:
alex_686
Posts: 10358
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:39 pm

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by alex_686 »

drk wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:00 pm
alex_686 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:31 pm A nit, but it is a exchange requirement - so this would be true no matter where the OP was doing business.
Huh! I didn't know that. I assumed that brokers would close out the position if the customer didn't have sufficient cash or margin to exercise.
I once worked the options desk. I have seen options in the money by 12.5 cents (which was the trigger way back when) get auto exercised on Friday. Why wouldn’t a client exercise to make free money? And then have the stock slump by 50% when it opened on Monday. Nasty nasty stuff.
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.
rkhusky
Posts: 12564
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:09 pm

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by rkhusky »

TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:35 pm
JamesSFO wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:28 pm If you genuinely believe this to be fraudulent, highly recommend you file a police report. You are much more likely to get help from Fidelity.
It is my understanding companies require police reports in cases like this to prevent users from making fraudulent or frivolous claims since it is legal to file a false report.
OP was told by Fidelity rep to file a police report if his phone was hacked.
I don’t think the local police will be much help if Fidelity was hacked or Fidelity made an error or the OP made an error.
exodusNH
Posts: 3644
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:21 pm

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by exodusNH »

rkhusky wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:11 pm
TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:35 pm
JamesSFO wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:28 pm If you genuinely believe this to be fraudulent, highly recommend you file a police report. You are much more likely to get help from Fidelity.
It is my understanding companies require police reports in cases like this to prevent users from making fraudulent or frivolous claims since it is legal to file a false report.
OP was told by Fidelity rep to file a police report if his phone was hacked.
I don’t think the local police will be much help if Fidelity was hacked or Fidelity made an error or the OP made an error.
They won't, but it does demonstrate that the OP believes this is fraud rather than buyer's remorse as filing a false police report is a crime.

I don't believe this was fraud. It just doesn't make sense as the supposed fraudster doesn't benefit in the slightest. If it had been a penny stock, ok, I could see a fraudulent pump scheme, but not with a stocks that is $350/share!

It seems that it's either a technical glitch on Fidelity's part, which seems unlikely, or a forgotten purchase of 10 options / outstanding GTC order.
User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 9972
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by TheTimeLord »

rkhusky wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:11 pm
TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:35 pm
JamesSFO wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:28 pm If you genuinely believe this to be fraudulent, highly recommend you file a police report. You are much more likely to get help from Fidelity.
It is my understanding companies require police reports in cases like this to prevent users from making fraudulent or frivolous claims since it is legal to file a false report.
OP was told by Fidelity rep to file a police report if his phone was hacked.
I don’t think the local police will be much help if Fidelity was hacked or Fidelity made an error or the OP made an error.
True, but as I understand you contact the police to establish you believe a crime has been committed, not because you believe they will resolve it. But I could be off base.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
rkhusky
Posts: 12564
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:09 pm

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by rkhusky »

TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:22 pm
rkhusky wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:11 pm
TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:35 pm
JamesSFO wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:28 pm If you genuinely believe this to be fraudulent, highly recommend you file a police report. You are much more likely to get help from Fidelity.
It is my understanding companies require police reports in cases like this to prevent users from making fraudulent or frivolous claims since it is legal to file a false report.
OP was told by Fidelity rep to file a police report if his phone was hacked.
I don’t think the local police will be much help if Fidelity was hacked or Fidelity made an error or the OP made an error.
True, but as I understand you contact the police to establish you believe a crime has been committed, not because you believe they will resolve it. But I could be off base.
I read the post as OP was leaning towards a Fidelity mistake, rather than a crime. If OP doesn’t return with details, it was likely OP’s mistake.
User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 9972
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by TheTimeLord »

rkhusky wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:27 pm
TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:22 pm
rkhusky wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:11 pm
TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:35 pm
JamesSFO wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:28 pm If you genuinely believe this to be fraudulent, highly recommend you file a police report. You are much more likely to get help from Fidelity.
It is my understanding companies require police reports in cases like this to prevent users from making fraudulent or frivolous claims since it is legal to file a false report.
OP was told by Fidelity rep to file a police report if his phone was hacked.
I don’t think the local police will be much help if Fidelity was hacked or Fidelity made an error or the OP made an error.
True, but as I understand you contact the police to establish you believe a crime has been committed, not because you believe they will resolve it. But I could be off base.
I read the post as OP was leaning towards a Fidelity mistake, rather than a crime. If OP doesn’t return with details, it was likely OP’s mistake.
What is OP thinks really isn't relevant to why Fidelity wants him to file a police report, I assume it is their standard procedure with he presented them.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
rkhusky
Posts: 12564
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:09 pm

Re: Unauthorized trading fidelity

Post by rkhusky »

TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:33 pm
rkhusky wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:27 pm
TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:22 pm
rkhusky wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:11 pm
TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:35 pm

It is my understanding companies require police reports in cases like this to prevent users from making fraudulent or frivolous claims since it is legal to file a false report.
OP was told by Fidelity rep to file a police report if his phone was hacked.
I don’t think the local police will be much help if Fidelity was hacked or Fidelity made an error or the OP made an error.
True, but as I understand you contact the police to establish you believe a crime has been committed, not because you believe they will resolve it. But I could be off base.
I read the post as OP was leaning towards a Fidelity mistake, rather than a crime. If OP doesn’t return with details, it was likely OP’s mistake.
What is OP thinks really isn't relevant to why Fidelity wants him to file a police report, I assume it is their standard procedure with he presented them.
Seems like the rep’s motivation was to get him off the phone so he could take another call.
Post Reply