Equifax Data Breach Settlement

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
AWCM

Post by AWCM »

Anyone get an email about the Equifax Data Breach Settlement? Says it was delayed due to appeals and the free credit monitoring service is now available. Is this worth the trouble since I have my accounts frozen anyway?
ddbtoth

Re: Equifax Data Breach Settlement

Post by ddbtoth »

AWCM wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:25 pm Anyone get an email about the Equifax Data Breach Settlement? Says it was delayed due to appeals and the free credit monitoring service is now available. Is this worth the trouble since I have my accounts frozen anyway?
I got one too- haven't really looked into it yet- sounds somewhat legit, but who knows, they are getting better at being slimy and slipping in some product endorsement.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

I got the email.

I signed up.

It all looks fine to me.
Retired life insurance company financial officer who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
rob

Post by rob »

Is this the one where the bad actor gets rewarded by offering - free for a bit - services to their victims? No have not checked if I got it yet....
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

What if you opted for the $, when will I get my 25 cents?
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

rob wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:46 pm Is this the one where the bad actor gets rewarded by offering - free for a bit - services to their victims?
Four years of services for me.
Retired life insurance company financial officer who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Stinky wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:11 pm
rob wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:46 pm Is this the one where the bad actor gets rewarded by offering - free for a bit - services to their victims?
Four years of services for me.
Transunion, Equifax and Experian all provide free credit monitoring now (I have signed up for all 3). The offer for free credit monitoring as a settlement is not worth much now.
Guilty2022

Equifax data breach settlement -- is this email legit?

Post by Guilty2022 »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

Hi all, I received an email from info@equifaxbreachsettlement.com saying that my Equifax data breach settlement is approved. In that email there is a link to www.experianidworks.com/equifaxsettlement where four years of free ID theft monitoring service is provided. I did sign up for the Equifax settlement several years ago, but does this email seem legit to folks here? As an initial matter I wonder why a link to Experian is provided for the Equifax settlement, and secondly, even the Experian website doesn't seem to be Experian's official website. Thanks in advance for your help!
Silk McCue

Re: Equifax data breach settlement -- is this email legit?

Post by Silk McCue »

Yes it is absolutely real. There is already have another thread on this.

viewtopic.php?p=6490594#p6490594

Cheers.
Dougroseville

Re: Equifax data breach settlement -- is this email legit?

Post by Dougroseville »

Seems legit... See https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/equif ... ent-email/

I know there might be some ~you can't trust Snopes because...~ comments, but if you are inclined do some other searching on this specific topic first..
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged Guilty2022's thread into the ongoing discussion.

(Thanks to the member who reported the post and provided a link to this thread.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Guilty2022

Post by Guilty2022 »

Thanks for merging. And thanks for all the responses. I'm going to sign up this weekend.
PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate »

Here is the link to the Federal Trade Commission webpage about the settlement and the emails being sent out.

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/cases-p ... settlement
Topic Author
AWCM

Post by AWCM »

Thanks all.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Yes. Signed up but not for a variety of the add-ons that would give almost a universal picture of one's finances for a hacker. After all, it happened once with a company that knows they will be targeted, makes significant efforts to avoid it but was unsuccessful once. Was concerned about the SS number requirement.

Tim
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

I get all kinds of "Free" (or bonus with other product) credit monitoring offers. It's not something that interest me.
I don't trust most of the third-party monitoring services (frankly, I don't trust the primary credit reporting agencies), and I wouldn't willingly agree to give them access to my personal information without them compensating me for that privilege.
They've proven themselves untrustworthy in safe guarding the information, they have a hard time even getting the data they collect accurate - there are numerous typeos in my report, Equifax in particular has denied me (or made it extremely difficult) to get my government mandated free annual report because they either have bad information about me (so I can't answer their bogus questions) or they're intentionally making it difficult so as allowing them to skirt the law... and at least to me, revealing the untrustworthy, perhaps criminal, nature of the Equifax organization.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

I got the email, but still undecided on whether to use their program. I already monitor important accounts and use 2 factor authorization, and my credit is frozen. I am not sure using a vendor with a spotty track record makes sense.
squirm

Post by squirm »

The free credit monitor thingy is worthless, IMO.

Consider all your sensitive info is already out there floating around. Just lock your credit accounts. Use secure passwords and things like that on your email accounts too.
SagaciousTraveler

Post by SagaciousTraveler »

squirm wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:52 am The free credit monitor thingy is worthless, IMO.

Consider all your sensitive info is already out there floating around. Just lock your credit accounts. Use secure passwords and things like that on your email accounts too.
This.

Credit monitoring is after the fact. It's a worthless gesture for their incompetence

Credit Freezing prevents anything from happening. Zero hassle in thawing for a specified timeframe should you need to access your credit.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

I got it but DW didn’t, haven’t done anything.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 11 years 😀
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

[Merged into existing discussion -- moderator oldcomputerguy]

I received an email about the Equifax Data Breach that occurred 4-5 years ago. I had forgotten about this, but I had chosen the option to have credit/identity theft monitoring for 4 years and just received an email today that it was ready for enrollment. Has anyone else seen a similar email recently? I think it is legit but want to make sure. I am a little leery as they ask for all kinds of info on the form you need to fill out to enroll (address, DOB, SS# etc...).

The other question I have is, my credit has been frozen ever since the data breach in all credit bureaus....in that case do I really need this extra monitoring and "freebies"?

Just want some assurance that signing up for this is the smart thing to do. Thanks
RJC

Post by RJC »

I received this email as well and just froze my credit reports (big 3). Curious to hear what folks think.
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

There was a similar discussion a few days ago:

viewtopic.php?t=369492
RJC

Post by RJC »

Faith20879 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:39 pm There was a similar discussion a few days ago:

viewtopic.php?t=369492
Thanks. This answered my question.
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

Faith20879 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:39 pm There was a similar discussion a few days ago:

viewtopic.php?t=369492
thanks, I should have searched before posting.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

rob wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:46 pm Is this the one where the bad actor gets rewarded by offering - free for a bit - services to their victims? No have not checked if I got it yet....
You should know that the product being offered is not owned by Equifax. It's an Experian product.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

squirm wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:52 am The free credit monitor thingy is worthless, IMO.

Well the product also allows you to monitor other items besides credit. DL and even minor children names.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Has anyone else received an email regarding this, stating that the checks are being sent out soon?

You filed a claim in the Equifax Data Breach Settlement between July 22, 2019 and January 22, 2020. We have processed your claim and determined that you are eligible for a Settlement payment. You chose to receive your Settlement payment via check. The Settlement Administrator can now offer you the ability to receive your payment electronically via PayPal or pre-paid card. If you would like to switch your payment selection to electronic payment via PayPal or pre-paid card rather than a physical check, please click here.
If you do not want to change your payment selection of check, you do not need to do anything. If we don’t hear from you by October 14, 2022, your payment will be sent to you by check.

I was initially inclined to delete as spam (was in the junk folder) but then remembered this thread.
I forget what the expected $ amount is, I recall declining Credit monitoring coverage, as I already had that from other breaches :oops:
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

tenkuky wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:08 pm Has anyone else received an email regarding this, stating that the checks are being sent out soon?
yup
If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything. ~Ronald Coase
MGBMartin

Post by MGBMartin »

Yes, I got one too.
Kind of surprising as I’ve had two emails in the past saying my claim was denied due to lack of documentation.
My claim status now says Partial Claim approved.
I guess I’ll get $1.89 for my trouble.
Bad spellers of the world untie | Autocorrect is my worst enema
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

MGBMartin wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:14 pm Yes, I got one too.
Kind of surprising as I’ve had two emails in the past saying my claim was denied due to lack of documentation.
I am hoping for $10, so I can at least buy a decent lunch.
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

tenkuky wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:08 pm Has anyone else received an email regarding this, stating that the checks are being sent out soon?

You filed a claim in the Equifax Data Breach Settlement between July 22, 2019 and January 22, 2020. We have processed your claim and determined that you are eligible for a Settlement payment. You chose to receive your Settlement payment via check. The Settlement Administrator can now offer you the ability to receive your payment electronically via PayPal or pre-paid card. If you would like to switch your payment selection to electronic payment via PayPal or pre-paid card rather than a physical check, please click here.
If you do not want to change your payment selection of check, you do not need to do anything. If we don’t hear from you by October 14, 2022, your payment will be sent to you by check.

I was initially inclined to delete as spam (was in the junk folder) but then remembered this thread.
I forget what the expected $ amount is, I recall declining Credit monitoring coverage, as I already had that from other breaches :oops:
Yes, I received one the other day, too. I can't wait to get all of that money from the settlement! :P (sarcasm, in case you missed it).
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
MGBMartin

Post by MGBMartin »

anon_investor wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:12 pm
Good luck with that.
You might end up with the $1 menu
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

MGBMartin wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:47 pm
anon_investor wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:12 pm
Good luck with that.
You might end up with the $1 menu
Hopefully enough to buy something from the Dollar General...
dalbright

Post by dalbright »

After a bit of researching i went for the risky click to get it sent to paypal and it brought up the proper site. Figured one less thing to get lost in the mail. TBH i thought this got watered down to the point it wasn't even getting sent out due to the cost of stamps haha. Hoping its something at least!
lillycat

Post by lillycat »

YES! I got an email too and decided to just wait for the "check in the mail."
Can't wait to hear from anyone who gets paid. Please post! Thanks.
tj

Post by tj »

IowaFarmWife wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:19 pm

Yes, I received one the other day, too. I can't wait to get all of that money from the settlement! :P (sarcasm, in case you missed it).
I got this email and gave them my email address for PayPal. We shall see what happens.
MGBMartin

Post by MGBMartin »

The mrs got the same email after I did.
I’d opted for the PayPal thing but the mrs did not as she doesn’t have a PayPal account.
We’ll see what happens but maybe if we combine our payouts we will have enough to share a lunch of the $1 menu.
femur

Post by femur »

tj wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:59 pm
IowaFarmWife wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:19 pm

I got this email and gave them my email address for PayPal. We shall see what happens.

I got this email as well. I directed that both my settlement and my wife's get directed to PayPal. Interested to see how much it will be.
student

Post by student »

I also got the email and I will wait for the check.
Minty

Post by Minty »

Got our checks, 6 and change, 8 and change.
Core Four w/ nominal bonds & TIPS. Refi Rampage: Purchase: 3.875% 30 -> R1 3% 20 -> R2 2.375% 15 -> R3 1.99% 15 -> R4 1.875% 15
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

stan1

Post by stan1 »

$10.48 (one person, I don't remember what I submitted).
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

nalor511 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:17 pm22.46
Check or paypal?
cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 »

$22.82 paper check
De gustibus non disputandum est
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

anon_investor wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:58 pm
nalor511 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:17 pm22.46
Check or paypal?
Check. X2
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

I received a check for $468.58 in the mail!

Unfortunately it was made out to my business, which I closed a few years ago. [I no longer have a bank account for my business.] I requested a new check made out to me. There were a couple of back & forth emails to provide the documentation on my business and its closure. On Dec 9, they replied that my request is being reviewed.

I don't know why my settlement is over $400. Usually in settlement cases like this, I get <$20.
dalbright

Post by dalbright »

Guess I should have opted for the paper check as they seem to have come faster...I went the paypal route as it seemed less likely to get lost in the mail haha.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

^Same. And also, I didn't know WHEN it would come, so I was unsure about future appropriate address for receipt or a physical check.
czaj

Post by czaj »

$5.21 via PayPal yesterday for both spouse and me…