Anyone ever seen performance review used in Interview

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
T4REngineer

Anyone ever seen performance review used in Interview

Post by T4REngineer »

With our yearly performance achievement cycle completed I recently received my annual performance review, while they are usually good this one was absolutely loaded (all true and well earned). The only reason this is even a thought in my head is A) The review is detailed and glowing - hats off to my current leader and B) The direction(s) I could see myself taking are not within my technical background so I have to convivence a hiring manager that my problem solving/execution and leadership skills are enough to make me a valued member of the team.

Is this seen as non value added? Tacky? Easily faked so why bother (so are resumes......and CV contents...)

Just curious on folks experience and thoughts.
abner kravitz

Re: Anyone ever seen performance review used in Interview

Post by abner kravitz »

For internal job openings it could be valuable. It was common practice in my company to require recent performance reviews as part of the application package. For outside companies, I don’t know if they would have value. I never saw or asked for one when I interviewed outside hires.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

T4REngineer wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:04 pm With our yearly performance achievement cycle completed I recently received my annual performance review, while they are usually good this one was absolutely loaded (all true and well earned). The only reason this is even a thought in my head is A) The review is detailed and glowing - hats off to my current leader and B) The direction(s) I could see myself taking are not within my technical background so I have to convivence a hiring manager that my problem solving/execution and leadership skills are enough to make me a valued member of the team.

Is this seen as non value added? Tacky? Easily faked so why bother (so are resumes......and CV contents...)

Just curious on folks experience and thoughts.
I think it really has limited value outside your current company. If someone shows up to an interview and hands me a letter of recommendation, I consider it - but really, should I? It could be a forgery. Your performance review is the same thing. Now, if your manager agrees to give a reference, then that could help, but this isn't really common practice.

Doing the broader career change is hard, good luck on it.
DarkHelmetII

Post by DarkHelmetII »

+1 for potentially very valuable internally but little to no value in the context of an external interview process
Topic Author
T4REngineer

Post by T4REngineer »

Thanks for the replies - pretty much what I expected as I had never heard or seen it myself ( even internally ). The easy answer is to use the information from my review In talking points, resume or CV and it essentially does the same thing.
bubbly

Post by bubbly »

The only time I can think of when using performance review results on an external interview successfully is to an interview question such as:
Tell me of a time you received negative feedback and how did you respond to said feedback?
To leverage your performance review successfully, I see 2 positive scenarios:

a) if you were a superstar performer and never had a bad review, you could go into details about how you managed to navigate this process so successfully. This generally demonstrates technical proficiency as well as an ability to get along with your teammates and boss.

b) you got a negative review and completely turned it around afterwards. This demonstrates that you were able to listen to criticism and able to improve upon your weaknesses.

Having said that, I would probably never bring up performance reviews unless directly prompted in such a fashion, barring extenuating circumstances.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

A lot of the time if you’re looking to do a career shift, it’s easier to make the move (or at least a partial move) within your current company, where they already know you and know what you’re capable of, and where you already have some domain knowledge. I could definitely see this glowing review helping you in trying to do an internal transfer.

As far as an external review, you could probably use the situations that led to this review as fodder for answering any number of behavioral questions.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Afty

Post by Afty »

At the previous company where I was a manager, when someone applied for internal transfer to my team, I received their performance review history.
Plano

Post by Plano »

No harm having it on hand and offering it to the interviewer if they seem receptive. Be prepared to explain why it is relevant.

The best letter of recommendation I have ever seen was written by the owner of the coffee shop where the applicant worked in college. He was a new grad, no experience in our field (legal), but getting up at 4 AM almost everyday for years as a college student said something powerful about his work ethic. I did not regret hiring the kid, and even wrote him a letter of rec for law school two years later.