Social Security Saying Wife Getting Reimbursed for Part D IRMAA

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Cruise

Social Security Saying Wife Getting Reimbursed for Part D IRMAA

Post by Cruise »

Interested in any insights the community might offer:

My wife has been collecting Social Security since late 2020. Up until two weeks ago when she retired, she continued to work at a high-paying job. Her Medicare Part D IRMAA deduction has been $XX.XX.

A few days ago, she received a letter that said:

"We will no longer deduct your prescription drug coverage income-related monthly adjustment amount from your monthly benefits. Based upon the information we have you are due a refund for prescription drug coverage income-related monthly adjustment amounts."

The letter goes on to say she will be get a refund some Part D payments from 2021, and no IRMAA deducted in 2022.

Sounds great, but she continues to get an extraordinarily high income from her pension, so she really owes Part D IRMAA at the same rate as before.

The only thing I can think of is that Social Security learned that my wife had dropped her employer-sponsored employee health plan, and has yet to learn that she is on her employer-sponsored retiree health plan. If that is the case, they will reverse course on this.

Any other ideas on what might have been occurred and if she needs to proactively do anything?

Many thanks!