Wage loss claim log-jam for auto accident ?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
RIMDBogle

Wage loss claim log-jam for auto accident ?

Post by RIMDBogle »

Wage loss claim log-jam for auto accident?
=========================================

Thanks for replies to my thread. I did find some interesting responses related auto accidents in this forum. I like to present my situation.

I had an auto accident where motor cycle rider attempted do daredevil act on highway traffic went wrong. I was a victim, the riders were not insured , not registered, & rode with suspended license . This happened in Maryland.

I am self-employed and do not have a supervisory hierarchy .

I am end up with invoking uninsured motorist claim with my insurance. This claim is log-jam for wage loss piece. I suffered injury and took many PT sessions for recovery. I submitted the followings to my insurance claim adjuster.

1) My physician provided time-off note
2) I maintained , Contemporary Log (Hours lost due to accident).
3) I provided my annual 1099 to support my earning
4) I provided my Contract/PO to show my hourly rate during the accident period
5) Self certified wage loss certification as per Contemporary Log & physician's time-off note

The adjuster says :

I am unable to verify your wages with the information provided.
Your wage form is completed and signed by you which is not sufficient documentation.

What are the additional docs to submit in this situation for them ?

How do I release this log-jam?

Thanks for your guidance.
Topic Author
RIMDBogle

Re: Wage loss claim log-jam for auto accident ?

Post by RIMDBogle »

Thanks.

Any one handled wage loss with insurance company ?

Any suggestions /insights ?
Boatguy

Post by Boatguy »

How about tax returns from prior years to support your wages?
fortunefavored

Post by fortunefavored »

This is one of the issues with UM, you're effectively suing your own insurance company. You should generally engage a personal injury attorney if it is going to be a large claim and you're carrying significant coverage (ie, $500K+)

If your coverage is relatively low ($25K or something) it's probably not worth it. But perhaps paying by the hour for an attorney to write a letter would help.

I'm sorry you're going through this. Heal up well!
furwut

Post by furwut »

My guess is you may need to show a documented pattern of earnings actually received for the time shortly leading up to the incident. Have you asked the adjuster specifically what they need in your case?
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Do you have an insurance broker who can help with the claim?

DH had something like this. His regular salaried income was covered by sick days, but his outside consulting took a hit.
He submitted physician statements about not being able/allowed to work for x days, and he showed his 1099's for quite a time.
He also showed his consulting agreement, indicating that the consulting work had not yet ended. Would something like that help?

And have you bumped it up to a manager/supervisory level yet?

If it continues to be a problem, then maybe the state Insurance Commissioner's Office...?
We've found on just a few occasions that asking, almost to one's self but aloud, something like, "Hmm, would the State Insurance Commissioner's Office maybe be able to help with this kind of difficulty??" has worked.
Just do NOT hint at litigation (or not without some thought), or the claim may disappear into their legal department.

We *did* have a terrific insurance brokerage who also helped us, which probably made a difference in this case.

Hope you are doing okay!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
PatrickA5

Post by PatrickA5 »

How much are you claiming for wage losses and injuries? If it's significant, you should probably get a lawyer involved.
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

Hire a lawyer. Insurance companies are notorious for offering low settlements to unrepresented claimants. In many states there are special laws where you can get damages if your own insurance company messes around in handling a claim. Don’t try to do it on your own.