Vanguard website broken. No new accounts???

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
mmcmonster

Vanguard website broken. No new accounts???

Post by mmcmonster »

So I was trying to create an investment account with my daughter, who recently turned 18. (See other thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=363263 )

We tried online and the website threw an error at the final submission prompt.

We then called Vanguard and they walked us through the same thing and got the same error. The Vanguard rep told us that the website was being renovated and that he would email or secure mail the document to us and that we would just have to have my daughter sign it and mail it back.

That was a month ago. No mail. No email. I left a couple secure emails through her Vanguard login but no response there, either.

I tried submitting the application online and the same error occurs. I tried calling Vanguard yesterday and the message said the wait time was more than an hour and asked that I leave my phone number and that they would call me back. I left my phone number and await a call back. It's coming on 24 hours since I left the phone number.

I'm kinda frustrated now and not sure where to go from here. I go to work fairly early in the morning and it's unusual for my daughter and I to both be available during work hours to call Vanguard together to figure this out.
Doom&Gloom

Re: Vanguard website broken. No new accounts???

Post by Doom&Gloom »

mmcmonster wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:59 pm So I was trying to create an investment account with my daughter, who recently turned 18. (See other thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=363263 )

We then called Vanguard and they walked us through the same thing and got the same error. The Vanguard rep told us that the website was being renovated and that he would email or secure mail the document to us and that we would just have to have my daughter sign it and mail it back.

That was a month ago. No mail. No email. I left a couple secure emails through her Vanguard login but no response there, either.

I tried submitting the application online and the same error occurs. I tried calling Vanguard yesterday and the message said the wait time was more than an hour and asked that I leave my phone number and that they would call me back. I left my phone number and await a call back. It's coming on 24 hours since I left the phone number.

I'm kinda frustrated now and not sure where to go from here. I go to work fairly early in the morning and it's unusual for my daughter and I to both be available during work hours to call Vanguard together to figure this out.
You go to Fidelity, Schwab, or some other company.

I have most of my investments at Vanguard, but I never would have sent them a dime if I had had to go through that.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

I’m sure fidelity would be happy to hold any of your ETFs, including Vangaurd’s, free of charge :sharebeer
35% VTI, 25% AVUV, 15% IXUS, 15% AVDV, 10% VWO, 40% treasury futures
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

mmcmonster wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:59 pm So I was trying to create an investment account with my daughter, who recently turned 18. (See other thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=363263 )

Open an account at Fidelity or Schwab. You can buy and sell Vanguard ETFs at both without fees.

Vanguard has been suffering customer service issues all year. This is the worst time to get in touch with any brokerage. On top of that, Vanguard is experiencing a failure of some third-party data feed that's probably ramping up their call volumes.
goingup

Post by goingup »

It's ridiculous. I'd call Schwab and never look back. (I'm saying this as a 20+ year Vanguard customer.)
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

mmcmonster wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:59 pm
Agree with others - go to Fidelity or Schwab.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

OP, have your daughter open a Fidelity account. They handle fractional ETF shares and allow buying ETFs by dollar amount. Vanguard ETFs are commission free.
roth evangelist

Post by roth evangelist »

Unbelievable. I was dealing with this a few months ago when I tried to set up a joint brokerage account. I finally got around it by starting from my wife's existing Vanguard account, but if you don't have a spouse with a Vanguard account already, this doesn't work. I'll definitely be steering people to Fidelity while until they can get their act together.
Topic Author
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster »

OP here.

I'd hate to point DD towards Fidelity or Schwab as I've been with Vanguard for well over a decade.

I'll look into Fidelity. While fractional ETF shares are nice, more important for my daughter is low ER index funds, and I believe Fidelity has them.
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

mmcmonster wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:17 pm I'd hate to point DD towards Fidelity or Schwab as I've been with Vanguard for well over a decade.
It's frustrating, but that's how it is. Vanguard used to put PDF forms of all their paper applications up on their website for anyone to download, but those were taken down and replaced to links that just redirect you back to the same online wizard you are finding is broken. Were those forms still there, you could have downloaded it in 30 seconds, filled it out and sent it off.

This happened around the same time as VG started forcing all new accounts to have the brokerage wrapper. Mutual fund accounts required less complexity to open, since there aren't all the FINRA related questions.

I suspect the problem opening online is an inability to verify identity since an 18 year old doesn't have enough records out there on credit reports, etc.

If you see the other thread, Vanguard also hasn't been able to generate statement PDFs or print statements, or print checks for six days.
veggivet

Post by veggivet »

Everybody and their uncle has extremely low cost ETFs available commission-free. You will be well served at any of the brokerages mentioned in the responses so far.
If you watch your pennies, your dollars will take care of themselves.
cowdogman

Post by cowdogman »

Vanguard's retail business is history. Go to Fidelity.
campy2010

Post by campy2010 »

I've been having Firefox browser issues with Vanguard. It just doesn't do anything like I'm locked out but there is no error message. It works fine on mobile and I was able to log in using MS Edge browser. My newer/larger accounts are at Fidelity so I have not tried to trouble shoot the problem with Vanguard customer service. If you're committed to Vanguard try a different browser or their mobile app.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. Move your $ to a broker that appreciates your business, Fidelity, Schwab.
Goal33

Post by Goal33 »

I was helping a friend with a Roth IRA. We got the error and it said to call. We went straight to fidelity.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

mmcmonster wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:17 pm OP here.

I'd hate to point DD towards Fidelity or Schwab as I've been with Vanguard for well over a decade.

I'll look into Fidelity. While fractional ETF shares are nice, more important for my daughter is low ER index funds, and I believe Fidelity has them.
You can buy Vanguard ETFs at Fidelity without commission.

If, for some reason, she wants to only buy mutual funds, Fidelity has funds that mirror the big ones at Vanguard. If this is a taxable account, however, don't buy the Fidelity Zero funds. They can only be held at Fidelity. If she ever wants to move to a different brokerage, she'd have to liquidate them (paying taxes) and transfer over the cash.
mkc

Post by mkc »

Same problem from back in August, so not new viewtopic.php?t=356996
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

ETFs are free to transact at fidelity. Are you OK holding ETFs instead of mutual funds?

If not, I would recommend becoming OK with that idea. You can hold any ETF you want for free at most places like fidelity, Schwab, Vanguard etc
35% VTI, 25% AVUV, 15% IXUS, 15% AVDV, 10% VWO, 40% treasury futures
PersonalFinanceJam

Post by PersonalFinanceJam »

Sadly, your experience seems to have been repeated by many here. Bogleheads is your friend in this regard! Fidelity certainly has equivalent index funds for all of the major categories. The wiki even has a page telling you which ones these are:
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Fidelity

I'd encourage you to look into ETF's for your daughter which will trade with no commission. You can choose to use Vanguard ETF's or any of the others. Again the wiki is your friend!
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/ETFs_for_Bogleheads

Finally, I'm making an assumption based on your previous thread, some of the affiliation for Vanguard may be so you can keep an eye on your daughter's account and help out when needed. You would need to create your own Fidelity account (it can hold no money) but it's easy for your daughter to authorize your account all online:
https://www.fidelity.com/customer-servi ... s-overview

Good luck and congrats on setting your daughter on a great path for her future!
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

muffins14 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:17 pm ETFs are free to transact at fidelity. Are you OK holding ETFs instead of mutual funds?

If not, I would recommend becoming OK with that idea. You can hold any ETF you want for free at most places like fidelity, Schwab, Vanguard etc
E*TRADE also has most Vanguard mutual funds commission-free.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Don't feel bad, I've had accounts with Vanguard for 20+ years, and I am recommending Fidelity to anyone that asks. If this is for a taxable account, buying Vanguard index ETFs will be more tax efficient than Fidelity index mutal funds.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

For the past several days, each time I log onto the VG site, I get the following pop-up message:
Due to a third-party service provider interruption, certain statements, confirmations, and tax forms are currently unavailable via our website and mobile application. Transaction history is up to date and can be used to confirm the status of your transactions, deposits, or other account details. Certain mailings and requests for checks by mail may also be delayed. Our teams are actively working to resolve this issue and we apologize for the inconvenience.
I just checked to see whether I could download a recent confirmation. I could see the icon and clicked on it only to be informed that it is "currently unavailable." Ditto for older confirmations. Sure hope they get this under control very soon. Very, very soon.

Trying to execute time-sensitive, tax-related transactions at this time of the year is never a good idea. Or any transactions, actually. But YEEESH.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Have her go to Fidelity or Schwab and follow her with your own money. Don't reward companies with your money that have poor service and are often broken.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Go to Fidelity.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Sorry but your sentimentality toward Vanguard is misplaced. There's plenty of evidence - including this thread - that they have next to no interest in retail brokerage customers, unless you pay them 0.3% AUM for VPAS. The best place to hold Vanguard ETFs is anywhere but Vanguard.
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

GerryL wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:42 pm Trying to execute time-sensitive, tax-related transactions at this time of the year is never a good idea. Or any transactions, actually. But YEEESH.
Whole other thread about it: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=365541

I mean it could be worse. Imagine if tax forms went down for six days on April 9th.
Lilykel

Post by Lilykel »

I’ve been on hold over 1 hour this afternoon, waiting for Vanguard agent. I find the website and new App designs confusing. I’ve been investing 25+ years with Vanguard. Are they paying attention to their customers? I’m considering Fidelity in the new year
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

Ugghh! This week we helped our young adult son complete the paperwork from his former employer for a rollover 401K and decided it would be best for him to go to Fidelity. I could not believe how easy it was for him to open an online account with them.

I should add I just tried to log onto VG and no passcode came through--but I'm not sure that's a VG issue.
Topic Author
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster »

I've decided to give Vanguard another chance. The rationale is that I trust Vanguard more than Fidelity or Schwab (or any other financial firm) to not steer my daughter to high-ER managed funds after I'm gone.

If I can't get DD's account done within the next month, I'll open a Roth IRA in her name at E-Trade or Fidelity and fund it before the April 15th deadline for 2021 and then move it into Vanguard eventually.

A bit of an update: I called Vanguard again on New Year's eve at 8:02am and got a real person on the line.

They stayed on the phone with me until I printed out the pre-filled application form for my DD. I had DD fill it out and go over everything that was filled out by the original agent that helped us a month ago. It turned out that they put the wrong email address in.

Actionable information: When filling out forms online or over the phone, double check phone numbers and email addresses, as they are more annoying to change after the fact.
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

Yesterday I could not log on to Vanguard from Chrome (nothing happened when I clicked the big red "login" button), but Edge worked. Today it's working again, so I don't think it's a Chrome setting. Annoying, but I prefer my money split between Fidelity and Vanguard.
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

mmcmonster wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:19 pm I've decided to give Vanguard another chance. The rationale is that I trust Vanguard more than Fidelity or Schwab (or any other financial firm) to not steer my daughter to high-ER managed funds after I'm gone.
Good to hear you got it worked out, but the ship (so to speak) has sailed.

https://investor.vanguard.com/investor- ... uity-offer

They are "special active funds exclusively available to advised customers" but I suppose not high-ER, so there is that.
drzzzzz

Post by drzzzzz »

Makefile wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:42 pm
mmcmonster wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:19 pm I've decided to give Vanguard another chance. The rationale is that I trust Vanguard more than Fidelity or Schwab (or any other financial firm) to not steer my daughter to high-ER managed funds after I'm gone.
Good to hear you got it worked out, but the ship (so to speak) has sailed.

https://investor.vanguard.com/investor- ... uity-offer

They are "special active funds exclusively available to advised customers" but I suppose not high-ER, so there is that.
Mccmonster, my current experience is that I get a PAS popup or ad everytime I sign onto my brokerage account at Vanguard and it seems they are moving toward active managed funds (which they have always had, such as Wellington, Wellesley, Primecap, etc). My experience with Fidelity is that they have never called or tried to upsell since I told them I was interested in doing my own investments. Schwab hasalso been super helpful by having one of their experts discuss some of our trust issues, spent time going over their web-site, and asked me if I wanted to speak with an affiliated advisor (but has not pushed that). Both firms also gave us bonuses for moving funds there.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

If I can't get DD's account done within the next month, I'll open a Roth IRA in her name at E-Trade or Fidelity and fund it before the April 15th deadline for 2021 and then move it into Vanguard eventually.

A bit of an update: I called Vanguard again on New Year's eve at 8:02am and got a real person on the line.

They stayed on the phone with me until I printed out the pre-filled application form for my DD. I had DD fill it out and go over everything that was filled out by the original agent that helped us a month ago. It turned out that they put the wrong email address in.

Actionable information: When filling out forms online or over the phone, double check phone numbers and email addresses, as they are more annoying to change after the fact.
I certainly wouldn't (didn't) have worked so hard to stay at Vanguard. Glad you resolved it
happysteward

Post by happysteward »

This is an amazingly disturbing thread…so many recommendations to move money elsewhere !! Wondering if anyone from Vanguard reads stuff like this or even cares…I have lots of pieces to move as I step into retirement and as I “advise” my kids….perhaps Vanguards time has past….
"How much money is enough?", John Rockefeller responded, "...just a little bit more."
ngfunky

Post by ngfunky »

Same issue. I just tried to create a tIRA and came across error issues the last few days. Called VG and have super long wait times (no estimation). Finally was about to create an account online myself without linking a bank or adding funding (selected 'fund later').
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

ngfunky wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:30 pm Same issue. I just tried to create a tIRA and came across error issues the last few days. Called VG and have super long wait times (no estimation). Finally was about to create an account online myself without linking a bank or adding funding (selected 'fund later').
I wonder who gets the error and who doesn't.

Looking at this thread, if that quote is verbatim, it looks like a Vanguard rep said without qualification that the open an account feature had been (at that time) down for a few weeks. i.e. it wasn't just certain people who couldn't, but that it was down. viewtopic.php?p=6201559#p6201559

It can't be that bad... can it?
lazynovice

Post by lazynovice »

Makefile wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:29 pm
ngfunky wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:30 pm Same issue. I just tried to create a tIRA and came across error issues the last few days. Called VG and have super long wait times (no estimation). Finally was about to create an account online myself without linking a bank or adding funding (selected 'fund later').
I wonder who gets the error and who doesn't.

Looking at this thread, if that quote is verbatim, it looks like a Vanguard rep said without qualification that the open an account feature had been (at that time) down for a few weeks. i.e. it wasn't just certain people who couldn't, but that it was down. viewtopic.php?p=6201559#p6201559

It can't be that bad... can it?
This issue has been going on for months.
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

lazynovice wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:35 pm This issue has been going on for months.
I see that, but I'm asking if it's a flat-out "no new accounts online" or some error than 1 in 100 get (still a lot).
DinkinFlicka

Post by DinkinFlicka »

I just tried transferring in a Roth IRA into an existing Vanguard Roth IRA from an old custodian I set up years ago, but hit this error when I submitted the form at Vanguard: "The system is currently unavailable. Please contact us at 800-354-2999 for more information."

Looks like their website woes span further than just new accounts.
mas

Post by mas »

Makefile wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:38 pm
lazynovice wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:35 pm This issue has been going on for months.
I see that, but I'm asking if it's a flat-out "no new accounts online" or some error than 1 in 100 get (still a lot).
I was able to create an account in November with no issues.
evelynmanley

Post by evelynmanley »

"Has Vanguard Lost Its Way?"
12/13/21
John Rekenthaler

"Today's company isn't entirely what Jack Bogle built."

https://www.morningstar.com/articles/10 ... st-its-way
dbsb3233

Post by dbsb3233 »

6 months later and still the same issue. Amazing. I have roughly $1M with Vanguard in an account I've had for years. I have no problem with that account other than logging in through Firefox. But it works on Chrome and the app. I like their fund and ETF choices better than T. Rowe Price (which I had before) so we decided to move my partner's investments over too. To no avail. I called Vanguard in December and they apologized about the website problems (they knew about them) and said they could open the account over the phone if I wanted. But we were in no hurry (and I'm not going to be the name on the account which always makes it a pain to do anything by phone, which is why I prefer to manage all of our accounts online). I figured it would be fixed within a few weeks or something though. It's been HALF A YEAR and it's still not fixed. Unbelievable.

I know everyone in this thread just says to go elsewhere (don't really need to hear that yet again). We may, or we'll just leave his money with T. Rowe Price. But I'm also starting to worry a bit about my own account now, if they can't even handle a new account website function. This is just crazy. It's the 2nd biggest mutual fund company in the world, for god's sake. :!:
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

dbsb3233 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:31 pm 6 months later and still the same issue.
It seems that there must be something else going on. If you google it, you will get quite a few hits from others who had and resolved the problem. Several found that they had to turn off an ad blocker to be able to proceed without error. Some said that they were told it because of an inability to verify their identity via the automatic online process. Another had viewing authority of a forgotten account so already had a presence in the system. Anyway, maybe these or others could help you identify your problem.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

dbsb3233 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:31 pm 6 months later and still the same issue. Amazing. I have roughly $1M with Vanguard in an account I've had for years. I have no problem with that account other than logging in through Firefox. But it works on Chrome and the app. I like their fund and ETF choices better than T. Rowe Price (which I had before) so we decided to move my partner's investments over too. To no avail. I called Vanguard in December and they apologized about the website problems (they knew about them) and said they could open the account over the phone if I wanted. But we were in no hurry (and I'm not going to be the name on the account which always makes it a pain to do anything by phone, which is why I prefer to manage all of our accounts online). I figured it would be fixed within a few weeks or something though. It's been HALF A YEAR and it's still not fixed. Unbelievable.

I know everyone in this thread just says to go elsewhere (don't really need to hear that yet again). We may, or we'll just leave his money with T. Rowe Price. But I'm also starting to worry a bit about my own account now, if they can't even handle a new account website function. This is just crazy. It's the 2nd biggest mutual fund company in the world, for god's sake. :!:
Are you running any addons? You can try running Firefox in safe mode to see if it works.
shess

Post by shess »

dbsb3233 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:31 pm 6 months later and still the same issue. Amazing.
I can't quite figure out from the thread, but are you trying to do this from the same browser which you also login to your own account from? If so, you should clear your cookies. Generally this is in preferences/settings somewhere, and might be called "site data". You should be able to clear vanguard.com specifically, though "clear all" will obviously do it. It just may log you out of other sites, etc. [I know, you think I'm saying "Have you rebooted your router?", but long-standing web customers can get truly bizarre state embedded in their site data.]

I think it's pretty unlikely that Vanguard hasn't been able to open any new accounts online for six months. That's not the kind of thing that companies just shrug off, that's the kind of thing that gets fixed. Probably there's something specific happening related to your system which is causing your problem, but isn't affecting most other users. Unfortunately, it can be very hard to isolate that kind of thing when it's only happening to a percent or so of your userbase and you don't have a repro case.
Johndoefire65

Post by Johndoefire65 »

shess wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 2:38 am
dbsb3233 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:31 pm 6 months later and still the same issue. Amazing.
I can't quite figure out from the thread, but are you trying to do this from the same browser which you also login to your own account from? If so, you should clear your cookies. Generally this is in preferences/settings somewhere, and might be called "site data". You should be able to clear vanguard.com specifically, though "clear all" will obviously do it. It just may log you out of other sites, etc. [I know, you think I'm saying "Have you rebooted your router?", but long-standing web customers can get truly bizarre state embedded in their site data.]

I think it's pretty unlikely that Vanguard hasn't been able to open any new accounts online for six months. That's not the kind of thing that companies just shrug off, that's the kind of thing that gets fixed. Probably there's something specific happening related to your system which is causing your problem, but isn't affecting most other users. Unfortunately, it can be very hard to isolate that kind of thing when it's only happening to a percent or so of your userbase and you don't have a repro case.
In the past I've also had my router block certain websites. For some reason one was newegg.com (computer parts). They could try updating firmware on router too. My bank account stop working on occasion. Clearing all browser history usually cures it.

I'm 100% vanguard but my mother needs a brokerage. I plan on Schwab because of the insanely cheap financial advice service (flat rate) and it's the closest brick and mortor store.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

dbsb3233 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:31 pm It's the 2nd biggest mutual fund company in the world, for god's sake. :!:
It's the biggest mutual fund company. I think second biggest after BlackRock for total fund assets under management.
dbsb3233

Post by dbsb3233 »

Thanks for the replies. I'll just reply to them all at once...

I've tried it from 4 web browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Edge, and Vivaldi). Same result in all of them. Firefox is my primary browser where I have all the add-ons and customization. Chrome has a few add-ons, but the other two are pure back-up use with clean installs and no customization at all (just for a purpose like this when something doesn't work right on the others). So pretty sure it's not the browsers. I doubt it's the router as I can get into my account OK in Chrome, and I'm able to navigate the rest of the Vanguard site ok. No past account either (although I'm not 100% sure a past employer from decades ago might not have used Vanguard for their 401(k) and thus might have his SSN in their system?)

I had already set up a userid/password for him when I tried setting up the account last year. Got as far as filling out the whole application and saving it. But it always came back with the error message others noted above when I tried to submit it. Tried that weekly for like 2 months. Finally that saved application went away altogether, but it still won't accept a new submission. It's sounding like it may be the identity verification that a few have noted. It acts a little differently when I log in first vs start a new application without logging in (to his ID/pw). One way it says "We're unable to continue with your request. We can't proceed with your transfer request at this time." The other way it says "Hi, <name>" and shows an OPEN ACCOUNT button, but clicking on that tries to go to the screen with 2 red boxes ("Start New Account" or "Start Rollover"), but blips right back after a half second. Tried it a million times and it always hangs there.

Doesn't seem like a browser or internet issue, so I do suspect something specific to his ID now. Especially if others have found that to be the cause as a few noted.

It looks like they finally fixed the problem with Firefox where I couldn't even log into my account there (had to use Chrome or the app). I've just gotten used to using the app for them so I hadn't checked in a while. Nice to know that's working at least. But it all still has me a bit turned off on continuing trying to set him up with Vanguard now. I think I'm leaning toward something like Etrade or Schwab or Fidelity now, and just using the Vanguard funds/ETFs I already like. I used to have an Etrade account, but it was just a small "play money" account to buy individual stocks. But I gave up on that 5 years ago and moved it to PeerSreet instead for peer-to-peer loan investing. I didn't even think about using Etrade to buy mutual funds. My mutual funds have always been direct with those companies (T Rowe Price, Invesco, and now Vanguard).

I assume Etrade/Schwab/Fidelity all have direct import capability from TurboTax? That's a feature I always look for now. Makes doing taxes much easier.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Vanguard's website has always been inappropriately fragile with respect to web browsers. There was a too-long period of time when they did not work properly without Flash. There was a period of time when they were not parsing two-digit Safari version numbers, and refusing to run because it thought the then-current Safari version was out of date. And it has never played nice with ad blockers and popup blockers.

I certainly get the impression that different Vanguard customers have different website experiences. I don't mean better, I just mean that what I read in the forum is consistent with my notion that there are a handful of different Vanguard IT systems, which are not kept in sync. My theory is that they run different versions or vintages of the software--each with a unique and different set of quirks and glitches.

I haven't checked this in a while... yep, when I log in to my "My Accounts," "Messages," the "Message Center" still has a "compose" button, and if I enter "subject," "categories," and a bit of "message," the "send" button darkens as if activated and available. I'm not going to bother them by sending a message just to see if there's a response.

Some will recall that last year, many or all customers received a popup message warning that
Changes coming to your Message Center

In August [2021], you will no longer be able to contact us through the Message Center. However, electronic statements, confirmations, and important messages from Vanguard will still be available there.
In the coming weeks, some forum members posted that their message center had become receive only, while others posted that they still had "compose" and "send" buttons. Many theories were offered, but (for example) I'm Voyager Select, and the hypothesis that it was now a Flagship perk was inconsistent with observation.

Meanwhile, a lot of Vanguard screens are gushing about how much I am going to love the bold new fresh contemporary "look" that is coming my way any moment. I am not as excited about it as they seem to be. I suppose it is going to mean more 32-point type and oceans of elegant whitespace, guaranteeing that my 2560x1440 monitor will display no more information than my cell phone.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

I am using Google Chrome as the browser.
When signing into Vanguard I would like to use 2-Factor Authentication (V calling me on my home phone for verification in addition to me showing my password when I check in), I am signed in for that in their Security section, but they do not use it towards me. Does anybody here have a same problem at secure sign in?