Where to get VISA gift card

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
student

Where to get VISA gift card

Post by student »

We collect money to give staff gift cards. In previous years, we do Amazon gift cards. Someone suggested getting VISA gift cards instead. I was going to get them from Amazon but there are some reviews claiming that the cards do not work. I can also get them from drug stores such as CVS. Any suggestions on the best places to buy VISA gift cards? Thanks.
runner3081

Re: Where to get VISA gift card

Post by runner3081 »

Have bought hundreds of Visa gift cards for work thing over the years at grocery stores, drug stores,etc.

Never, ever an issue. Well, other than purchase limits. HAHA
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

You might want to consider Simon --- https://www.simon.com/giftcard/

They do have a "corporate gift card purchasing program is perfect for giving to businesses, associations, not-for-profits, or any other organization."
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

It depends on the denomination you want to get them in. All the Visa Gift Cards have fees that eat into it the net value received, but I have to say I'd personally rather have a Visa "gift card" that I could spend where/how I like than an Amazon card... but an Amazon card would probably be best choice for people that use Amazon (likely no fees to purchase, and can be used to purchase other gift cards through/at Amazon.com)
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
yules

Post by yules »

student wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:19 pm We collect money to give staff gift cards. In previous years, we do Amazon gift cards. Someone suggested getting VISA gift cards instead. I was going to get them from Amazon but there are some reviews claiming that the cards do not work. I can also get them from drug stores such as CVS. Any suggestions on the best places to buy VISA gift cards? Thanks.
I assume you’re a business, although the fact that you “collect money” (from who?) makes me wonder, but if you are a business, see if your business credit card company will let you trade in credit card points for gift cards

Also, I know you didn’t ask, but I much prefer cash over gift cards. I can’t deposit gift cards in the bank, and I can’t use gift cards at some retailers, so gift cards are less flexible, IMO

Yules
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

You can watch doctor of credit website as there is often deals at various stores (CVS, staples, etc) where you can buy without the purchase fee.
Topic Author
student

Post by student »

yules wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:39 pm
student wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:19 pm We collect money to give staff gift cards. In previous years, we do Amazon gift cards. Someone suggested getting VISA gift cards instead. I was going to get them from Amazon but there are some reviews claiming that the cards do not work. I can also get them from drug stores such as CVS. Any suggestions on the best places to buy VISA gift cards? Thanks.
I assume you’re a business, although the fact that you “collect money” (from who?) makes me wonder, but if you are a business, see if your business credit card company will let you trade in credit card points for gift cards

Also, I know you didn’t ask, but I much prefer cash over gift cards. I can’t deposit gift cards in the bank, and I can’t use gift cards at some retailers, so gift cards are less flexible, IMO

Yules
Not a business. I am at a university where faculty members in our department like to collectively buy gifts for the support staff.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Just go to the grocery store or CVS.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

OfficeMax or staples
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Go to a grocery store or pharmacy. Then again, I can't fathom that someone couldn't use an Amazon card as nearly cash equivalent...
Topic Author
student

Post by student »

Thanks for the replies.
El Greco

Post by El Greco »

We have an account at TD bank and get them for no charge.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

dukeblue219 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:18 pm Go to a grocery store or pharmacy. Then again, I can't fathom that someone couldn't use an Amazon card as nearly cash equivalent...
A lot of people don't use Amazon. My prior administrative assistant never used Amazon. I found that out when I gave her an Amazon gc... it was Target and Bed Bath and Beyond gcs after that.
Supergrover

Post by Supergrover »

El Greco wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:44 pm We have an account at TD bank and get them for no charge.
TD bank is free for customers. However they do impose a fee each month if the cards is unused for 12 months.
(I was saving a few $100 gift cards for a expensive item...and when I went to redeem them, they were only worth $70 each. I myself am a TD customer, but it didn’t matter. . . That $ was gone.)
Carson

Post by Carson »

The thing you need to watch out for is the activation fee which is usually $5-7. If money is tight, that can really add up. Sometimes grocery stores offer a promotion that helps offset the cost of fees, but you have to shop around.

If Target would be welcome, they usually have a sale of 1% off gift cards with no activation fee. It’s usually one Sunday early December.