Chase vs. Citi: anyone have experience?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
manlymatt83

Chase vs. Citi: anyone have experience?

Post by manlymatt83 »

Have some upcoming banking needs and will likely want to forge a longer term relationship with either Chase or Citi. The specific needs aren't important to this thread, but would involve bank accounts, likely a CC, etc.

Just curious -- for those who have used either/both -- what has your long term customer service impression been? Do you have a preference between the two when only looking at quality of service / customer service? Thank you!
rich126

Re: Chase vs. Citi: anyone have experience?

Post by rich126 »

I can't say I'm fond of either one. I've briefly had accounts with both. Depending on your needs sometimes a credit union can be best.

Although they have their issues and I wouldn't recommend opening an account with them, my best experience was with one Wells Fargo branch in Scottsdale. I'm guessing because it was in a very nice area that the service was excellent and it was the exception rather than the rule with WF and most banks.

Location can also matter since at one time Chase, and also Wells Fargo had branches in some states and not in others.

This past year has caused customer service to go downhill most everywhere.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
wilshuer

Post by wilshuer »

Been with Chase via Bank One for a few decades. Overall no real issues - checking, savings, investment, CCs, Auto Loans and Mortgages through the years. In my area many more ATMs and branches than Citi. Hardly have to deal with a person, but the few times have been better than average for a mega bank. Website and App are both pretty good. One that stood out for me was when I was trying to get a replacement title for a car I had paid off, I needed a lien release letter from Chase. Called their auto loan number, told them I had paid a car off 5-6 years ago and needed a release letter, going in to the call with low expectations. After a few questions and proving who I was, they had it pulled up and said a letter would be sent out. Got it 3-4 days later, and no charge.

Citi - dealt with the about the same timeframe - actually my oldest CC. Auto loans, mortgage at one point, savings account through them before. Pretty much no branches and few ATMs that I know of around me. Website is ok, I find their app seems to be down for servicing a lot on Sundays. They seem to be decent with fraud alerts/control on the CC when it pops up.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Both have a bad reputation. Are you really stuck with these dogs?
humblecoder

Post by humblecoder »

As with all large companies, your customer service experience is going to vary to a large extent based upon with whom you interact.

That said, my wife and I have two mortgages and several CC accounts with Chase, and I have had no issues with them. However, our need for high touch customer service is limited. There was one occasion last year during the height of the pandemic where a mailed credit card payment did not make it to Chase in time. Chase customer service was extremely helpful. They cancelled the interest and late fee, allowed us to send an electronic payment, and when the original paper check finally arrived, they disregarded it. 10 out of 10.

More recently, we got a mortgage through Chase. Very smooth process. Our assigned mortgage loan rep was very helpful in cutting through some of the underwriting red tape that we were running into, helping us to close the loan on time. He also price matched a quote that we got from another lender. Again, 10 out of 10.

Maybe we were lucky and we happened to get the superstar customer service reps. Who knows?

We also have several accounts with BoA/Merrill Edge (mainly to get the Platinum Rewards benefits). They have been more of a mixed bag. We've had issues with some of their systems and policies but generally their phone reps have been able to resolve them to our satisfaction. Would have been better if we didn't have the issues in the first place, but at least they made things right. I know you didn't ask about BoA, but I thought I'd add that anyway in case the data point might help another person on here.

I have no experience with Citi, so can't offer any perspective.
Rdytoretire

Post by Rdytoretire »

I have and still use both for checking, savings and credit card. No issues with either one. Depending on your particular needs you can use either one. I would sign up with the one that gave me the best "incentive" to get my business. Chase often uses bonuses such as $300 for signing up.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

20+ years with Chase and zero issues. Account balances are high enough to eliminate fees and misc. charges. The credit card benefits and more importantly the security of them, have been problem free.
sport

Post by sport »

I note that the above posts mention having credit cards at the same bank as checking, etc. If you read the fine print in credit card agreements they usually (always?) include something called "right of offset". This means that if there is any dispute on your credit card account, and you decide you are just not going to pay that charge or fee, the bank can just take that money from one of your bank accounts, and you agree to this when you sign up for the credit card. For this reason, I avoid having a credit card with the bank I use for "banking". There are plenty of other credit cards to choose from.
srt7

Post by srt7 »

Over the years I've banked with them both (decade+ at each) and I find Chase to be in a different league. So if those are your only choices then I'd recommend Chase.
Taking care of tomorrow while enjoying today.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Chase has a much bigger footprint—over 5000 branches vs 700 or so for Citi. Citi IT is famously antiquated.
mpsz

Post by mpsz »

These banks are both top-notch for credit cards. Go elsewhere for everything else.

Citi IT is notoriously bad. Chase is notorious for locking or closing accounts at random (or for really stupid reasons).
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

Citi's Double Cash credit card is an excellent deal. For banking services proper, I wouldn't go with either Chase or Citi. An online bank should be able to take care of all your needs--without charging ticky-tacky fees.
50% VTSAX | 25% VTIAX | 25% VBTLX (retirement), 25% VTEAX (taxable)
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

Banks are not people. You don't need to develop a relationship. Just use them.

Both have decent credit card offerings. For pretty much anything else they are bottom of the barrel. About as bad as it gets.
If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything. ~Ronald Coase
cowdogman

Post by cowdogman »

I really like Chase. Been with them for several years--checking, savings, business accounts, YouInvest (now "Self-Directed") (to avoid fees on the checking account), High School and College checking accounts for my kids. First rate. Excellent branch system--now in all 50 states. Excellent website. Very responsive customer service via secure message on website.

I have had Citi savings accounts and credit cards. Poor website (often down and often glitchy), very few branches across US, lousy costumer service via telephone.

Not a close call. Go to Chase.
drk

Post by drk »

Citi is horrible at everything. I've had a Citi credit card for over a decade, and the ineptitude continues to surprise me. On the other hand, Chase is the best of the megabanks and has actually impressed me with positive changes over the years.

That said, I see no reason to cultivate a relationship with either. I see them as a source of bonuses, and they see me as a potential source of fees, so the game is to get the bonuses while minimizing fees.
A useful razor: anyone asking about speculative strategies on Bogleheads.org has no business using them.
iamfarmerted

Post by iamfarmerted »

I’ve had both for a long while. Don’t love either but chase is the better option. If it’s a business account Citibank has “more” security with a token.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

There are no Citi branches in my area of California. There are lots of Chase branches.
Chase helped me with getting a Medallion signature guarantee when the credit union I had previously used for years no longer offered them. When I've had need of doing some transaction with a bank teller they've been great.
The Chase branch near me has a drive-through ATM machine, and they also have some of the newer model ATM machines that take cash deposits and allow for making cash withdrawals of various bills $5 through $100.
Of the giant monster national banks in my area, I don't have as strongly negative opinion of them (as a company) as I do Bank of America and Wells Fargo.

I have a Citi credit card, it's been fine. Haven't had cause to call them about anything. I kind of like their web interface better than Chase.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

manlymatt83 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:57 am Have some upcoming banking needs and will likely want to forge a longer term relationship with either Chase or Citi. The specific needs aren't important to this thread, but would involve bank accounts, likely a CC, etc.

Just curious -- for those who have used either/both -- what has your long term customer service impression been? Do you have a preference between the two when only looking at quality of service / customer service? Thank you!
I had to chuckle a long term relationship. Are you going to be exclusive, married, friends with benefits, in an open relationship with the bank ?

These entities are there to make money. The level of service varies widely depending on whether you are talking about the credit card arm, banking arm, or investment arm (brokerage, IRA). The terms change all time, as do the fees, and services offered. When the terms becomes unfavorable, it's time for divorce. By divorce, I mean time to close the account, not necessarily all the accounts at the institution (although I have certainly done that in the past!).

I have had accounts with both Chase and Citi for a very long time. They both tend to have good products on the credit card side. Chase generally has much better signup offers, but limits how often you can open accounts (5/24). Citi is generally easier, but not as lucrative.

Neither are competitive when it comes to banking - rates on savings much worse than most smaller banks or credit unions. ATM networks a lot smaller than credit unions, also.

I have issues with both of them. Chase is generally a lot easier to deal with, and faster to resolve them. Citi is a simply a nightmare to deal with on the banking side, not paying the bonuses they promised in the timeline imparted, not sending tax forms by IRS deadlines, etc. Avoid. Citi credit cards are fine. Chase investment side (YouInvest) was pretty weak. Never tried Citi investment accounts.

I keep accounts at a variety of institutions to maximize benefits.

For Chase and Citi, the ones I use are as follows :

Citi Costco VISA for the 2-year extended warranty . This is my only Citi account still open. I don't normally use it at Costco, because BofA cards are better there.
Chase Sapphire Preferred for the travel benefits. I also use it at restaurants. This is the only card that I carry from Chase with an annual fee. Have had a couple thousands of claim paid from the trip cancellation insurance over the years.
Chase Freedom. Used infrequently, if the categories are interesting. Never carry it. Mostly keep it due to credit history.
Chase Freedom Unlimited. No longer used, but won't close due to credit history.
Chase Ink Cash, which I use only for my Comcast internet service (gets 5 UR points per dollar).
Chase Ink Unlimited. I never ever use this. Should probably consolidate with the Ink Cash. Time to call Chase.

I open and close Chase bank accounts regularly (every year or so) to get signup bonuses. Their service is very good, much better than Citi. But rates just suck. Currently don't have any Chase bank accounts, and neither does my husband. I guess it may be time to Chase the next Chase banking bonus.

Chase Amazon VISA. My husband's account. I am not an AU, but I still use his card on my Amazon account.

I also regularly use :
Fidelity Cash for worldwide ATM fee refunds. I try to keep about $1000 in it.
Credit union for ATM cash deposits, cashier checks, and decent rates
T-Mobile money for even better savings rates.
Wells Fargo Signature VISA for the free cell phone damage protection. Only use this for the cell phone bill. Have had claims of over $2K paid over the years.

Beyond that, I have a couple of Amex card accounts that I don't use much and don't carry, and several BofA cards with complex reward structures that I do carry. Too complex to get into here. Check "Platinum Honors" thread for more info.

Yes, it's a lot of institutions and accounts. Fortunately, I have Quicken to help me manage all this, and autopay to the rescue.
hachiko

Post by hachiko »

I'm confused about how your specific needs aren't important for a thread when you're asking people to compare two banks. Specific needs are the only thing that's important. If one bank was flat out better for everyone, the other bank would no longer exist in such a competitive industry.

That said, generally, in my experience Chase is better for customer service and online/mobile banking.

Both are solid credit card issuers and I have multiple credit cards with each. I don't know why a question on where to bank has anything to do with credit cards. Unless you have a ton of money with the bank ($10m/20m+) there's no benefit to banking with chase if you want a chase credit card and the same thing goes for Citi. Even if you do have a ton with either of these particular banks the only real benefit on the credit card side is that you can get a credit card that others can't, and pay a bit of a higher fee for the same benefits on cards that everyone can get (though if they offered me the palladium I would take it 😉).
Made money. Lost money. Learned to stop counting.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

I think your experience may depend on which bank has a bigger presence in the area you intend to bank in. I would probably go with whatever bank has the best presence - locations, availability of ATMs and CCs that match your spending style.

I currently have a Chase checking account and Credit Cards and a Chase mortgage. There a Chase branches everywhere I go (there's one 4 blocks from my house. and plenty of Chase ATMs near where I work). Chase is ok. I don't hate them. Their online banking isn't too bad (it's better than BoA and Wells Fargo). I've received reasonable customer service from the branches when I was doing basic banking (wire transfer for the mortgage, working with a loan officer, etc...)
ADDED: I liked that Chase had "Chase Pay" which I think has been replaced with Zelle. Relatives and friends also used Chase and so it was easy to transfer money as needed. Zelle is useful. It's tricky if you have multiple banking relationships/checking accounts as Zelle is based on phone number or email address - and if you use the same phone#/email at all your banks - Zelle can't figure out which one to use. I am NOT dissing Zelle. I like it. I just have complicated banking.

BoA and Wells Fargo were worse - I had a BoA mortgage (I hate BoA).
I have a Wells Fargo Mortgage, checking, CC. Their online banking feels like a project they never went back to complete. But they don't mess up my mortgage payments/taxes/insurance like BoA would (on a regular basis). Customer Service has been ok - mostly because I haven't had to work with them/talk to them - because I haven't had any issues with my "vanilla" banking needs.

I have friends and relatives with Citi credit cards - and they seem to have lousy reward plans. I'd have to drive 20 minutes from home to get to a Citi branch (not sure where there are ATMs near my home). There are Citi ATMs near work. I don't have a relationship with Citi. So I don't have much of an opinion.
Last edited by LittleMaggieMae on Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Citi is the worst bank in the world. I hope that helps.
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

manlymatt83 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:57 am Have some upcoming banking needs and will likely want to forge a longer term relationship with either Chase or Citi. The specific needs aren't important to this thread, but would involve bank accounts, likely a CC, etc.

I have both - CC. Don't call customer service much. Don't think I have called either one since pandemic started. Looking back memory lane, Chase's customer service over the phone, on more than one occasion, left much to be desired.
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

I have both. Citi is just awful. Chase is better, but it's a low bar with Citi. If those were my only two choices and I were forced to pick one, I would choose Chase.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

What banking needs are you going to have?
softwaregeek

Post by softwaregeek »

I've used a number of large banks, and my take on it is different than others. Each has their specific strengths.

Citi - At 200k total combined balance, best for frequent AA flyers and high balance as their Citigold offers discount on AA credit card fees. Also gives $200 a year in subscription benefits and thank you points. So a Citigold account for a AA frequent flyer gets $145 credit card discount + $100 thank you points plus $200 subscription bonus = about $445 in benefits. Also, a NYC/LA museum card. Citi also has incredibly good ARM deals on mortgages for high balance customers. Service at gold level is good, but tech is not as polished as the other big banks.

Chase - $250k gets you personalized service from a dedicated banker. Credit cards are excellent but you don't get anything special for using them in most cases. United cards, but no benefits for large balances at Chase. I also hated my banker and you have to call a special line to get service, which is not 24/7. Service is the nicest of the big banks but can't always solve your problem. And tons of problems for me, for simple things like "How can I wire money into my YouInvest Account" and "How can I deposit this check in my You Invest Account".

BofA. - $100k gets Platinum Honors, which provides a boost on Cash back from the credit cards. Also, tiered jumbo mortgage discounts are often best in class. Best for cash back credit cards, (and in my opinion) the best technology. Service is less cheerful than chase, but in my experience more efficient. BofA did a mortgage modification that shaved a quarter off my interest rate for $950 when I called to inquire, and they have consistently beaten competitors on mortgages. BofA will, however, be redoing their entire Preferred rewards program before the end of the year (per industry publications) but it hasn't been fully announced.

I personally use Schwab as my main bank, but more and more of my business is going to BofA since they offer ok-enough service and better mortgage/credit card deals.

Schwab bank service beats any of the big 4, hands down.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

softwaregeek wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:14 pm Citi - At 200k total combined balance, best for frequent AA flyers and high balance as their Citigold offers discount on AA credit card fees. Also gives $200 a year in subscription benefits and thank you points. So a Citigold account for a AA frequent flyer gets $145 credit card discount + $100 thank you points plus $200 subscription bonus = about $445 in benefits. Also, a NYC/LA museum card. Citi also has incredibly good ARM deals on mortgages for high balance customers. Service at gold level is good, but tech is not as polished as the other big banks.
I had Citigold at some point in the very distant past. They had ridiculously low ACH transfer limits. Like just $1000 per day ! It looks like they have fixed that.
https://online.citi.com/US/JRS/pands/de ... nstitution
But still. It felt like they really didn't want you to be able to access your money. Glad to see that's changed. Fidelity Cash has allowed much larger transfers for no fees for a very long time. Outgoing always post same-day. Incoming takes several days to have funds available, though.

Citi customer service is just the worst, though, if you have any problem. My most recent experience with them is a signup bonus for my husband's account for having a $15K balance that took 10 months to be paid instead of 3. Bonus should have been paid in early March. It was paid in late September instead. Account was downgraded in June and most of the funds transferred out. Case was opened about the bonus, and never followed up on by Citi. They charged a monthly fee despite the account having been downgraded. Had to open another case to have that reversed. Finally, Citi sent a letter notifying him that he had been identified as one of many customers who was eligible for the bonus, but didn't receive it. No shit, Sherlock ! That was this year. It finally got paid ! Account was closed after that. You really don't want to deal with the banking side. Don't expect them to pay what they promise. Expect to have your money sit in their savings account earning near 0% for far longer than bonus terms. Be pleasantly surprised if they actually pay up in the end. This is unfortunately a very typical Citi banking experience. Not an isolated incident. Avoid, unless you like ulcers. Their credit cards are OK. Not sure about their AA card. I probably had it in the past as I have accumulated a 6 figure amount of AA points. But simply never fly AA, so I keep having to buy stupid magazine subscriptions to stop them from expiring. At least most airlines have suspended mile expirations during the pandemic.
beyou

Post by beyou »

rjbraun wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:48 pm I have both. Citi is just awful. Chase is better, but it's a low bar with Citi. If those were my only two choices and I were forced to pick one, I would choose Chase.
+1000
inverter

Post by inverter »

Chase is in a different league than Citi. Citi has some of the worst infrastructure and IT ever. I've had nothing but pleasant experiences with Chase, and would say they are easily the best large bank. Plus, I read they now have branches in all 50 states.
softwaregeek

Post by softwaregeek »

Citi is bad if you are not gold, which is under 200k. Over 200k they are quite good.
5outof10

Post by 5outof10 »

madbrain wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:44 pm

I had to chuckle a long term relationship. Are you going to be exclusive, married, friends with benefits, in an open relationship with the bank ?

These entities are there to make money. The level of service varies widely depending on whether you are talking about the credit card arm, banking arm, or investment arm (brokerage, IRA). The terms change all time, as do the fees, and services offered. When the terms becomes unfavorable, it's time for divorce. By divorce, I mean time to close the account, not necessarily all the accounts at the institution (although I have certainly done that in the past!).

I have had accounts with both Chase and Citi for a very long time. They both tend to have good products on the credit card side. Chase generally has much better signup offers, but limits how often you can open accounts (5/24). Citi is generally easier, but not as lucrative.

Neither are competitive when it comes to banking - rates on savings much worse than most smaller banks or credit unions. ATM networks a lot smaller than credit unions, also.

I have issues with both of them. Chase is generally a lot easier to deal with, and faster to resolve them. Citi is a simply a nightmare to deal with on the banking side, not paying the bonuses they promised in the timeline imparted, not sending tax forms by IRS deadlines, etc. Avoid. Citi credit cards are fine. Chase investment side (YouInvest) was pretty weak. Never tried Citi investment accounts.

Citi Costco VISA for the 2-year extended warranty . This is my only Citi account still open. I don't normally use it at Costco, because BofA cards are better there.
Chase Sapphire Preferred for the travel benefits. I also use it at restaurants. This is the only card that I carry from Chase with an annual fee. Have had a couple thousands of claim paid from the trip cancellation insurance over the years.
Chase Freedom. Used infrequently, if the categories are interesting. Never carry it. Mostly keep it due to credit history.
Chase Ink Cash, which I use only for my Comcast internet service (gets 5 UR points per dollar).
Chase Ink Unlimited. I never ever use this. Should probably consolidate with the Ink Cash. Time to call Chase.

I open and close Chase bank accounts regularly (every year or so) to get signup bonuses. Their service is very good, much better than Citi. But rates just suck. Currently don't have any Chase bank accounts, and neither does my husband. I guess it may be time to Chase the next Chase banking bonus.

Chase Amazon VISA. My husband's account. I am not an AU, but I still use his card on my Amazon account.

I also regularly use :
Wells Fargo Signature VISA for the free cell phone damage protection. Only use this for the cell phone bill. Have had claims of over $2K paid over the years.

Beyond that, I have a couple of Amex card accounts that I don't use much and don't carry, and several BofA cards with complex reward structures that I do carry. Too complex to get into here. Check "Platinum Honors" thread for more info.

Yes, it's a lot of institutions and accounts. Fortunately, I have Quicken to help me manage all this, and autopay to the rescue.
This seems insane to me. So much work tracking all of these balances and analyzing expenditures and studying best card to use and monthly statement emails and monthly reconciling. So much pre-planning of HOW to pay for things. And the number of bank accounts? And the size of the wallet! I am happy it works for you. I got tired just reading about your system. Maybe I am not advanced enough. I have one debit card (on my phone and in my wallet) from a local bank where I am social with the owner and one good rewards credit card (in my wallet) from BigBank. I have been reading Bogleheads for years but I have to ask: is this extravagant cc and account bonus system common for BHs?
Checking 10K, Sinking Funds 50K (HYSA/MMF), EF 50K (I bonds), Taxable/Retirement: 72% VTI, 18% VXUS, 10% BND | I would like to own a gold bar one day, to be able to say I own a gold bar.
5outof10

Post by 5outof10 »

madbrain wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:44 pm

I also regularly use :

This seems insane to me. So much work tracking all of these balances and analyzing expenditures and studying best card to use and monthly statement emails and monthly reconciling. So much pre-planning of HOW to pay for things. And the number of bank accounts? And the size of the wallet! I am happy it works for you. I got tired just reading about your system. Maybe I am not advanced enough. I have one debit card (on my phone and in my wallet) from a local bank where I am social with the owner and one good rewards credit card (in my wallet) from BigBank. I have been reading Bogleheads for years but I have to ask: is this extravagant cc and account bonus system common for BHs?
Checking 10K, Sinking Funds 50K (HYSA/MMF), EF 50K (I bonds), Taxable/Retirement: 72% VTI, 18% VXUS, 10% BND | I would like to own a gold bar one day, to be able to say I own a gold bar.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

softwaregeek wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:22 pm Citi is bad if you are not gold, which is under 200k. Over 200k they are quite good.
I used to be Gold, and they still sucked pretty bad. They may have improved. I personally wouldn't risk moving $200k there again to find out just how much.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

5outof10 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:40 pm This seems insane to me. So much work tracking all of these balances and analyzing expenditures and studying best card to use and monthly statement emails and monthly reconciling. So much pre-planning of HOW to pay for things. And the number of bank accounts? And the size of the wallet! I am happy it works for you. I got tired just reading about your system. Maybe I am not advanced enough. I have one debit card (on my phone and in my wallet) from a local bank where I am social with the owner and one good rewards credit card (in my wallet) from BigBank. I have been reading Bogleheads for years but I have to ask: is this extravagant cc and account bonus system common for BHs?
That's why I use Quicken. Without it, I would be completely lost. I get a combined report of all my expenditures across all my accounts.

I think you'll find many, many threads on various credit card signup bonuses and optimal credit card use. Read threads like
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=150033
or
viewtopic.php?t=192008

I don't really have to study best card use when I'm out. I have labels printed on each physical credit card that I carry to remind me.
I reprint the labels usually about once a year when the best terms change.

3 credit cards are in my wallet, and that covers 99% of my retail purchases when I'm out :

Chase Sapphire Preferred. Label says : "Restaurants/travel"
BofA Customized Cash Rewards. Label says "Costco"
BofA Unlimited Cash Rewards. Label says "General spending".

My Fidelity debit card doesn't have a label printed on it. I have been using it to get cash at ATMs worldwide for so long - well over a decade - that I don't need a reminder of what it's for. The look of the card has never changed, which helps. It's the only card I use that's still embossed on the front.
My credit union debit card is not always in my wallet. I know it's for cash deposits, though. I don't need a reminder.

That's all 5 payment cards in my wallet. I seldom use the Samsung Pay on my phone. I know to use it with my Citi Costco when buying big ticket items if I want extended warranty. Such big ticket purchases are rare, though. Sadly, Samsung Pay doesn't have any way to type reminders of what the card is for, so it's actually inferior to the physical card with the address labels in that way.
5outof10

Post by 5outof10 »

madbrain wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:33 am
5outof10 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:40 pm This seems insane to me. So much work tracking all of these balances and analyzing expenditures and studying best card to use and monthly statement emails and monthly reconciling. So much pre-planning of HOW to pay for things. And the number of bank accounts? And the size of the wallet! I am happy it works for you. I got tired just reading about your system. Maybe I am not advanced enough. I have one debit card (on my phone and in my wallet) from a local bank where I am social with the owner and one good rewards credit card (in my wallet) from BigBank. I have been reading Bogleheads for years but I have to ask: is this extravagant cc and account bonus system common for BHs?
That's why I use Quicken. Without it, I would be completely lost. I get a combined report of all my expenditures across all my accounts.

I think you'll find many, many threads on various credit card signup bonuses and optimal credit card use. Read threads like
or
viewtopic.php?t=192008

I don't really have to study best card use when I'm out. I have labels printed on each physical credit card that I carry to remind me.

3 credit cards are in my wallet, and that covers 99% of my retail purchases when I'm out :

My Fidelity debit card doesn't have a label printed on it. I have been using it to get cash at ATMs worldwide for so long - well over a decade - that I don't need a reminder of what it's for. The look of the card has never changed, which helps. It's the only card I use that's still embossed on the front.
My credit union debit card is not always in my wallet. I know it's for cash deposits, though. I don't need a reminder.

That's all 5 payment cards in my wallet. I seldom use the Samsung Pay on my phone. I know to use it with my Citi Costco when buying big ticket items if I want extended warranty. Such big ticket purchases are rare, though. Sadly, Samsung Pay doesn't have any way to type reminders of what the card is for, so it's actually inferior to the physical card with the address labels in that way.
madbrain wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:33 am

or
viewtopic.php?t=192008

I appreciate your response. I certainly feel stone age. Ha! I have seen the relatively common threads on cc rewards and account bonuses. I guess I didn't understand people accumulated so many cards and accounts. I thought it was more about helping people switch to a better deal. Appreciate the look behind your curtain.

I am still kinda curious, do the majority of BHs do this? Or is it a sub-group, large or small?
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

We have only 1 card. Cap1 since 2004.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

The days of establishing a relationship with Citi and Chase are over unless you are moving in seven figures. Anything under that, you are just a customer and you will receive what they’d give anybody else regardless of whether you were brand new to them or banked with them for 25 years with a regular checking account. Your particulars get input into the computer and it spits out what they’re willing to offer you and that’s based on your credit report and identity more than anything else these days.

If you want a relationship you can lean on for better things overall, then open an account with a small local bank and get to know the actual humans inside. Then ask for a loan. Then bring more in deposits. Then get a HELOC. Lather rinse repeat. But most people won’t do that, because they’ll go with whomever is the cheapest at providing whatever financial service they need at the time they need it. And that is certainly a fair approach. But it isn’t a relationship.
sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 »

I have my checking and credit card with Chase. I like their web tools and branches but I have also heard about their account freezing/closing. Therefore I have my savings at Alliant Credit Union and my brokerage at Vanguard. If they shut my account I could open a checking account at Alliant and have my cash flow restored in a day. Also I don't want them potentially shutting down and liquidating my brokerage account.
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

For over 20 years, I had a checking account with Chase, but owing to fees I'm thinking of moving over to Axos. They charge no fee for withdrawals from any ATM in the US. I like that convenience.
50% VTSAX | 25% VTIAX | 25% VBTLX (retirement), 25% VTEAX (taxable)
hachiko

Post by hachiko »

madbrain wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:40 pm
softwaregeek wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:22 pm Citi is bad if you are not gold, which is under 200k. Over 200k they are quite good.
I used to be Gold, and they still sucked pretty bad. They may have improved. I personally wouldn't risk moving $200k there again to find out just how much.
I have an account in the private bank through my former employer. They still suck pretty bad. No where near as good service as Schwab.

I still keep the account because of the TYPs each month for no cost to myself because I would never churn Citi bank accounts for bonuses for the reasons someone mentioned up-thread.

I would never keep a permanent relationship with chase because I churn their bonuses.
Made money. Lost money. Learned to stop counting.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I have a credit card from each company, Costco card from Citi, Amazon card from Chase. No other relationships with either. So far no issues with either.

I did get a price match on a TV I purchased, the price had dropped $300. Although the 30 day period for price match was over, Costco refunded the $300 + taxes.

I thought it was through the Citi credit card, but further investigation shows the price rewind feature was removed in 2019.
Costco handled it as a return, though I hadn't even mentioned that possibility in the email I had sent. I just noted that 30 days was a short period of time.

Perhaps they noticed I had purchased another TV a couple of weeks later for a DD. Who knows, I'll gladly take their offering.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

We have a checking account and several CCs with Chase, but I wouldn't recommend them for banking purposes. They're alright, but going forward, I'd rather do business with a local credit union.
The Sensible Steward
boomergeneration

Post by boomergeneration »

I have been with Chase for many years. If I need a Medallion signature or something notarized or need to cash in I-Bonds, they have made it super-easy.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:58 am Costco handled it as a return, though I hadn't even mentioned that possibility in the email I had sent. I just noted that 30 days was a short period of time.

Perhaps they noticed I had purchased another TV a couple of weeks later for a DD. Who knows, I'll gladly take their offering.
Nice of your Costco to do that for you. My Costco refuses to do any kind of price match, even when their own price drops shortly after my purchase, even for small items with relatively low price drops. For example, a couple years ago, we bought Sony noise cancellation headphones for about $150. They promptly went on sale the next month for $50 less. I ended up buying a second pair, and then returned it minutes later unopened under the previous months' invoice.
student

Post by student »

madbrain wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:21 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:58 am Costco handled it as a return, though I hadn't even mentioned that possibility in the email I had sent. I just noted that 30 days was a short period of time.

Nice of your Costco to do that for you. My Costco refuses to do any kind of price match, even when their own price drops shortly after my purchase, even for small items with relatively low price drops. For example, a couple years ago, we bought Sony noise cancellation headphones for about $150. They promptly went on sale the next month for $50 less. I ended up buying a second pair, and then returned it minutes later unopened under the previous months' invoice.
I am surprised that it worked because of serial numbers. Maybe they don't match that for headphones.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

student wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:30 pm I am surprised that it worked because of serial numbers. Maybe they don't match that for headphones.
They probably don't do that because of the dollar amount. Did that for electric toothbrushes that dropped in price very quickly after purchase as well. Wish Costco had a price match policy, at least on their own price within 30-60 days. But you can't beat their return policy, so maybe that's expecting too much. Anyway, we have digressed from the credit card topic. The only credit cards I have that still have price protection are my Wells Fargo Cashwise and Wells Fargo Signature. I only use them for cell phone protection claims so far. Which reminds me, my Note 20 Ultra hasn't been properly charging the last 2 nights. It may be time to get the USB-C port replaced, at Wells Fargo's expense. I just checked with multiple USB-C cables, and it still disconnects randomly. First time I have to replace the port on a USB-C phone. The phone is only 13 months old, also, so just 1 month out of manufacturer warranty.
Edit: looks like I charged the full price of both our Note 20 Ultra at Costco on 9/6/2020 to our Citi Costco VISA, so they got the 2 years of extended warranty.
I guess I'll make a claim at Citi then, to avoid the small deductible with Wells Fargo cell insurance. Both coverages apply in this case.
Wells Fargo covers up to 4 phones indefinitely if you pay your monthly cell phone bill in full with their card, up to $600 per phone and 2 claims per year. And Citi extended warranty coverage applies if you charge the full price of the phones on their card. I have made thousands of dollars worth of claims on both types of coverage.
lws

Post by lws »

Opened Chase and Citi checking and savings for bonus.
Closed Citi and kept Chase for free notary.
Had no problems with either since my needs were basic.
Both banks have numerous branches here in SoCal.
Chase branch where I have a safe box is closing down and it is a pain to find another branch with boxes.