Federal loans for tuition

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Ophiuchus

Federal loans for tuition

Post by Ophiuchus »

My employer will give 4500 towards tuition and 4500 towards loans. I want to get a masters. There is no way I would qualify for needs based student loans. Is it possible to get a federal loan of some kind which I can then get repaid. Thanks!
Metsfan91

Re: Federal loans for tuition

Post by Metsfan91 »

Ophiuchus wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:00 pm My employer will give 4500 towards tuition and 4500 towards loans. I want to get a masters. There is no way I would qualify for needs based student loans. Is it possible to get a federal loan of some kind which I can then get repaid. Thanks!
Would your employer pay private student loan? If so, you should be able to get private student loan. You could look into that.
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

I believe that the unsubsidized loans are not need based. If that is correct, you could get a federal loan, but start accumulating interest immediately. Don't know if this would actually be a better deal than private loans or not.
cshell2

Post by cshell2 »

Unless you have some major blemishes on your credit, all students qualify for Federal Grad Plus loans up to the cost of attendance, but interest rates aren't great. Right now they're over 6%.