Medicare- what happens if I change state residency? (MA to FL)

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
protagonist

Medicare- what happens if I change state residency? (MA to FL)

Post by protagonist »

What I was told when I enrolled in my Medicare Advantage plan is that in my state (Massachusetts), one can switch during open enrollment to any plan, no problem, just by requesting the switch.

Plan G (and the other "lettered" gap plans) do not exist in MA....my state has its own Medigap plans, offering only two. ("Supplement 1" and "Supplement 1A").

Questions:

1. If I decide in the future to become a FL resident and applied for a Medigap plan, would I be treated as a new Medicare customer?

2. I assume I would be required, as a FL resident, to also switch my Medicare coverage to a FL plan, and could not keep my MA plan, correct? (If I do this it would be because I would be a "snowbird" that would spend over half the year in FL and the rest in MA). In the best of all possible worlds I would like to retain my MA plan and options and continue to see my current doctors.

3. Would it matter if I enrolled in an Advantage plan or a Medigap plus part D plan in MA before becoming a FL resident?

4. Would I need to go through underwriting?
Jagger

Re: Medicare- what happens if I change state residency? (MA to FL)

Post by Jagger »

Hi there. A couple of points to make:

1. Massachusetts is among the most forward-looking states with regard to Medicare plans. In Mass., one can switch relatively easily from Medicare Advantage to Medigap and back again. State law prohibits Medigap insurers from imposing age-based premiums, underwriting restrictions, discrimination based upon pre-existing conditions, etc., etc.

2. Mass. actually has three Medigap plans: Core, 1A and 1. The 1 plan is only available to those who were eligible for Medicare prior to 1/1/20.

Everyone's situation is specific to that person. So I wouldn't want to venture to answer your four questions without meeting with your and knowing your entire situation.

My best advice is to find a SHINE counselor in your county of residence and meet with him or her. The SHINE program in Mass. is part of the HHS-funded SHIP program. SHINE delivers unbiased, objective, knowledgeable advice to Mass. residents who are eligible for Medicare. Learn more about SHINE and locate a counselor by going to https://shinema.org/ or by calling 800-243-4636. It might turn out that you'd need to speak to a SHIP counselor in Florida as well.

Good luck!

Note: I'm a certified SHINE counselor in Barnstable County.
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Jagger wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:50 am Hi there. A couple of points to make:

1. Massachusetts is among the most forward-looking states with regard to Medicare plans. In Mass., one can switch relatively easily from Medicare Advantage to Medigap and back again. State law prohibits Medigap insurers from imposing age-based premiums, underwriting restrictions, discrimination based upon pre-existing conditions, etc., etc.

2. Mass. actually has three Medigap plans: Core, 1A and 1. The 1 plan is only available to those who were eligible for Medicare prior to 1/1/20.

Everyone's situation is specific to that person. So I wouldn't want to venture to answer your four questions without meeting with your and knowing your entire situation.

My best advice is to find a SHINE counselor in your county of residence and meet with him or her. The SHINE program in Mass. is part of the HHS-funded SHIP program. SHINE delivers unbiased, objective, knowledgeable advice to Mass. residents who are eligible for Medicare. Learn more about SHINE and locate a counselor by going to https://shinema.org/ or by calling 800-243-4636. It might turn out that you'd need to speak to a SHIP counselor in Florida as well.

Good luck!

Note: I'm a certified SHINE counselor in Barnstable County.
Thank you, Jagger! And thanks for being a SHINE counselor and helping people!

Yes, I agree about the benefits of the MA program compared with those of other states.
As a SHINE counselor, would you know if I become a "snowbird" and declare residency in FL for tax purposes, but continue to spend 5 months/year in MA, if I could continue to receive Medicare via MA (as I have since 2017)? Maybe that is too much to hope for. I am very happy with my current plan.
Last edited by protagonist on Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

protagonist wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:39 pmif I become a "snowbird" and declare residency in FL for tax purposes, but continue to spend 5 months/year in MA, if I could continue to receive Medicare via MA?
5 months per year doesn't qualify you as a MA resident.
https://www.mass.gov/service-details/le ... sachusetts
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

JoeRetire wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:46 pm
protagonist wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:39 pmif I become a "snowbird" and declare residency in FL for tax purposes, but continue to spend 5 months/year in MA, if I could continue to receive Medicare via MA?
Yes, I know. I stated that above in my post.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

protagonist wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:48 pm
Sorry, I thought the implication was obvious. Not a MA resident? Can't get MA Medicare. You get it in your state of residence.
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

JoeRetire wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:06 pm
Sorry, I thought the implication was obvious. Not a MA resident? Can't get MA Medicare. You get it in your state of residence.
Thanks. I figured as much. Wishful thinking I suppose.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

protagonist wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:55 am
JoeRetire wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:06 pm
Thanks. I figured as much. Wishful thinking I suppose.
Yup.

All of us who own two or more properties wish we could mix and match a smorgasbord from multiple states at the same time.
- I'll take State A's tax rate
- I'll get my benefits from State B
etc, etc.