Social Security Question

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
anonenigma

Social Security Question

Post by anonenigma »

I will be 67 soon and have not taken Social Security which, because of my teaching career, will be minimal (and diminished by the WEP). I figured I'd wait until 70 since I don't really need the money at the moment.

I've read about the 5.9% inflation adjustment. If I don't take Social Security now, will that apply to my benefit when I eventually do take it, or does it only impact people already receiving monthly payments? If the latter, should I apply for benefits before the end of the year?

Thanks.
JoeRetire

Re: Social Security Question

Post by JoeRetire »

anonenigma wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:58 pm I've read about the 5.9% inflation adjustment. If I don't take Social Security now, will that apply to my benefit when I eventually do take it
Yes. Whenever you begin receiving your benefits, all COLAs will have been applied. You won't miss out on any of them.
Just remember: it's not a lie if you believe it.
Topic Author
anonenigma

Post by anonenigma »

JoeRetire wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:07 pm
anonenigma wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:58 pm I've read about the 5.9% inflation adjustment. If I don't take Social Security now, will that apply to my benefit when I eventually do take it
Yes. Whenever you begin receiving your benefits, all COLAs will have been applied. You won't miss out on any of them.
Thanks. Will stick to my original plan.
donall

Post by donall »

Removed due to error of hold harmless provision