What do you typically do (and how do you spend your money) on a typical retirement day/week/month

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
MrCheapo

What do you typically do (and how do you spend your money) on a typical retirement day/week/month

Post by MrCheapo »

I'm in that envious situation where I can retire well now or wait and retire very well. Currently 50 and will retire no later than 55.

So I'm starting to plan what I'll do in retirement so if need be I can purchase/plan those key items before I retire when they are cheap (hence my name!)

Except I really have no idea what I'll do. I'm naturally an early riser so getting up late isn't even an option. I can see myself:

biking a few days a week (5 hours)
playing a round of golf a week (5 hours)

But that leaves a good 102 hours in the week left. I plan on traveling four weeks a year overseas and may another four weeks on local trips. But what of the other 44 weeks!

So I'm curious how people:

a) Spend a typical retirement day
b) The special/atypical things you do in a week
c) The special/atypical things you do in a month

I know this is an odd question, but my days now are filled up with kids and work after which I'm just too tired except to watch and hour or two of TV before bed.
gogreen

Re: What do you typically do (and how do you spend your money) on a typical retirement day/week/month

Post by gogreen »

MrCheapo wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:09 pm

Except I really have no idea what I'll do. I'm naturally an early riser so getting up late isn't even an option. I can see myself:

Not retired yet but "You gotta pump those numbers up. Those are rookie numbers!" :mrgreen:
I bike 8 hours per week, run 3 hours, walk 6 hours and do fitness 2 hours :sharebeer
JoeRetire

Re: What do you typically do (and how do you spend your money) on a typical retirement day/week/month

Post by JoeRetire »

MrCheapo wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:09 pmExcept I really have no idea what I'll do. I'm naturally an early riser so getting up late isn't even an option. I can see myself:

Do more of what you like. Perhaps more biking. Perhaps more golf.
Besides biking and golfing what do you like to do? Do that.

If you have no idea what you will do, perhaps you aren't actually ready.
Just remember: it's not a lie if you believe it.
TJat

Post by TJat »

Following with interest. Only 37 but I too struggle with being too mentally exhausted after work to do anything worth mentioning… maybe I can pick up some “retirement” hobby mentioned here!
punkinhead

Post by punkinhead »

I retired this Spring at 54 so all of my retirement so far has been during nice weather. When I'm home a typical week is 2-3 days on the river fishing. I own a couple small planes so there's always maintenance to be done so 1 or 2 days a week putzing around at the airport. The dog gets a 3-4 mile walk every day. There's usually some yard work or car maintenance so maybe 1 day a week doing that. I'm not a huge bicyclist but I like to take a 10-15 mile ride a couple times a week. I have NO problem occupying my days when I'm not traveling.

Here are my last 3 weeks: 1 week motorcycle trip to the Eastern TN/North Georgia mountains. 1 week combined kayaking/hiking trip in the Ozarks. Tomorrow I'm going hiking at a state park about 1.5 hours away. I'm leaving Thursday for 4 days of offroad riding in the Michigan UP.

I'm not sure yet how I'll occupy myself this winter. I plan to increase my workout frequency and the dog will still get a walk every day. There are some hiking trails within 2 hours of my house that I'd like to explore in cooler, bug-free weather. My wife wants some built-in cabinets in the dining room so I'll spend some time in the wood shop this winter.

My wife will retire next Spring and we've got an RV on order so next year will be a lot more travel. My brother and mother want to travel to Africa in the Spring but one thing my retirement will NOT include is international travel, or even domestic flying. I did enough of that when working. My wife plans to go with them but you couldn't pay me to get on a commercial flight.
Last edited by punkinhead on Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 123 »

If you retire at age 50 it is quite possible that you will be retired for more years than you have been working. From what I've observed it seems that people who are introverted could likely retire at any age. Those that are highly connected with a social group at work, or a social group that remains working while they retire, may feel more lost or disconnected, they are no longer part of the "gang". People are often not too interested in the thoughts or opinions of the retired unless they are retired as well. The opinions of the retired are generally discounted since they are no longer part of "the game". If that situation bothers you perhaps you're not ready to retire.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Topic Author
MrCheapo

Post by MrCheapo »

Wow. That sounds fun but expensive. What yearly expences are you budgeting for?
punkinhead wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:59 pm I retired this Spring at 54 so all of my retirement so far has been during nice weather. When I'm home a typical week is 2-3 days on the river fishing. I own a couple small planes so there's always maintenance to be done so 1 or 2 days a week putzing around at the airport. The dog gets a 3-4 mile walk every day. There's usually some yard work or car maintenance so maybe 1 day a week doing that. I'm not a huge bicyclist but I like to take a 10-15 mile ride a couple times a week. I have NO problem occupying my days when I'm not traveling.

Here are my last 3 weeks: 1 week motorcycle trip to the Eastern TN/North Georgia mountains. 1 week combined kayaking/hiking trip in the Ozarks. Tomorrow I'm going hiking at a state park about 1.5 hours away. I'm leaving Thursday for 4 days of offroad riding in the Michigan UP.

I'm not sure yet how I'll occupy myself this winter. I plan to increase my workout frequency and the dog will still get a walk every day. There are some hiking trails within 2 hours of my house that I'd like to explore in cooler, bug-free weather. My wife wants some built-in cabinets in the dining room so I'll spend some time in the wood shop this winter.

My wife will retire next Spring and we've got an RV on order so next year will be a lot more travel. My brother and mother want to travel to Africa in the Spring but one thing my retirement will NOT include is international travel, or even domestic flying. I did enough of that when working. My wife plans to go with them but you couldn't pay me to get on a commercial flight.
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

I made a list of things I would do if money and time were not constraints. I came up with about 2 dozen and I slowly made my way through it.

Included on the list was learning how to play the saxophone (which I did, but not very well), reading Durants' The Story of Civilization (3 years), watercoloring (not good), and traveling by bike, which has turned into a life passion.

After while, things get into a groove. I try to ride my bike 4 times a week (at least 300 miles a month), I cook, shop, read bogleheads, and find a way to spend 15 hours a day keeping myself entertained.

I believe that people tend to have a personal percentage of boredom in their life. Mine is less than 5%. It always has been. If you are bored now, you will be bored when you retire. And, vise versa. Having a plan will help.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.
punkinhead

Post by punkinhead »

MrCheapo wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:11 pm Wow. That sounds fun but expensive. What yearly expences are you budgeting for?
I'm not sure yet what it will cost. My monthly burn rate with no moderation to my spending is on target for about $120k/year. Some of that is paying for our son's graduate school and living expenses which will go away next year but will be replaced with higher health insurance costs. Firecalc/iORP/etc says my portfolio and eventual SS and pension will support about $190k but I don't think I could spend that much if I tried.
wanderer

Post by wanderer »

For us it is volunteering, travelling, and biking. Retired 8 years at 57 yo.

Volunteering keeps us engaged with others and a sense of purpose. - several days/week both when travelling and when at home
Travelling helps us explore and learn. (travel and volunteering by RV - see volunteer.gov)
Biking helps us stay fit and energetic. (maybe someday we will emulate Raybo!)

We enjoy all of the above and more in retirement.

P.S. I retired with some big "plans", but my parents got sick and needed help soon after. That changed our first 3-4 years of retirement significantly. While not the "plan", we lowered our travel plans and got involved with local volunteering. This lead to our current RV travel/volunteering.... So - food for thought - don't over plan and be open to what opportunities life presents.
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

MrCheapo wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:09 pm I'm in that envious situation where I can retire well now or wait and retire very well. Currently 50 and will retire no later than 55.

So I'm starting to plan what I'll do in retirement so if need be I can purchase/plan those key items before I retire when they are cheap (hence my name!)

But that leaves a good 102 hours in the week left. I plan on traveling four weeks a year overseas and may another four weeks on local trips. But what of the other 44 weeks!

I know this is an odd question, but my days now are filled up with kids and work after which I'm just too tired except to watch and hour or two of TV before bed.
I am not sure we have a "typical" day, but we keep our days pretty full with one or more of the following activities:

Cycling (probably 2-3 times a week for a 2-3 hours/day)
Hiking (usually days we are not cycling)
Taking our dogs for a walk/run (often combined with hiking)
Hanging out at a beach (often combined with hiking and/or dog walk/run)
Pick-up Basketball
Ultimate Frisbee, if i am feeling especially motivated
Intimacy with spouse

Weekly activities include:
More involved outings (we are going to see the new lava eruption tomorrow)
Stargazing (at home or atop Mauna Kea if we feel adventurous)
Swimming with Manta Rays
Kayaking
Snorkeling
BBQ/dinner party/Evening out with friends
Yard/home/pool maintenance

Monthly Activities: (These have been less frequent due to Covid)
Even more involved outings - Island hop for other activities or visit family/friends
Trip to mainland (visit family, or National park trip)

I am sure i am missing a few things.
Some days we just sit around and read a book, watch a movie, or lounge by the pool and have a few drinks.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Woodshark

Post by Woodshark »

I retired at 55 with no set plan on how I was going to fill the hours. We moved to our weekend house on the lake and now live here full time. Spent the better part of the 1st year traveling, landscaping and finishing the basement. If we are not out on the water or traveling, I spend a lot of time doing home improvements or in my workshop making furniture and gifts. Just finished 12 shaker boxes for Christmas gifts. The better half has her craft room and spends a lot of time there. Pre-Covid and later post vacines, we did/do a lot of travel. This year we went to Belize for 2 weeks. Then 2 weeks at the beach. (One in Florida and one is South Carolina) Just got back from two weeks hiking Zion, Bryce and the south rim of the Grand Canyon. Not to mention various weekends during the summer white-water rafting, attending a music festival, and various weekends with friends that live out of state. Later this month we plan on a driving trip to Pennsylvania to visit family and see the Fall colors.

It's been six years since retirement and I'm still not even close to being bored.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Once I wake up, it branches from there. No day is "typical"
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Streaming - Netflix, Hulu, Paramount+, Amazon Prime, etc.

...just kidding - not retired yet - lots of hobbies I plan to spend more time with - music, photography, hiking, etc. - and these things are relatively inexpensive. Travel - maybe 8 weeks yearly.
WyomingFIRE

Post by WyomingFIRE »

I am 57; will be retired in the next year or two.

My retirement plan is to be a volunteer docent at a historic site where I will practice a historic trade that will give me the opportunity to educate the public about history, early trades, science and technology. So over the past decade I have taken courses in that trade and volunteered at several historic sites in a similar capacity. I easily have hundreds of hours in this hobby already. I’m still apprentice level but could probably make a run a journeyman level. It has taken a lot of time to get to this point.

Along the way I came to realize that I could make items that I could sell from executing this trade as a part-time hobby. I will never get rich doing this, but maybe it will buy a tank of gas every now and then.

Anyway, about ten years out from retirement I started to make my plan. I want to retire to something meaningful and interesting. I didn’t want to wake up the day after I retired and say “now what do I do?” I love working with my hands, and DW and I are fairly serious DIYers generally. So this plan scratches all of the itches.
Topic Author
MrCheapo

Post by MrCheapo »

marcopolo wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:22 pm if i am feeling especially motivated
Intimacy with spouse
Okay, that needs some explaining. If you feel motivated? Do you give yourself pep talks to get you motivated. Oh never mind, it will get the thread locked :-)
RetiredCSProf

Post by RetiredCSProf »

Raybo wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:20 pm I made a list of things I would do if money and time were not constraints. I came up with about 2 dozen and I slowly made my way through it.

Included on the list was learning how to play the saxophone (which I did, but not very well) ...
+1
I was forced to retire at age 64 (mass layoff) and started taking saxophone lessons the following week. Pre-pandemic, I joined a local symphonic band and performed at a couple concerts. I am continuing with sax lessons (zoomed lessons for over a year) and recently returned to in-person lessons.
Small Savanna

Post by Small Savanna »

Not retired yet, but I've been trying out some hobbies that could take more of my time. I took sculpture classes for a few years and made some sculptures from wood and stone. More recently I've started restoring an old VW Bug. I've also got a big enough backlog of home and yard projects to keep busy for a year. I think your question is a good one - the retirement decision isn't just about money.
WyomingFIRE

Post by WyomingFIRE »

RetiredCSProf wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:48 pm
Raybo wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:20 pm I made a list of things I would do if money and time were not constraints. I came up with about 2 dozen and I slowly made my way through it.

Included on the list was learning how to play the saxophone (which I did, but not very well) ...
+1
I was forced to retire at age 64 (mass layoff) and started taking saxophone lessons the following week. Pre-pandemic, I joined a local symphonic band and performed at a couple concerts. I am continuing with sax lessons (zoomed lessons for over a year) and recently returned to in-person lessons.
+1

That is totally awesome. You are an amazing person.
WyomingFIRE

Post by WyomingFIRE »

Small Savanna wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:55 pm Not retired yet, but I've been trying out some hobbies that could take more of my time. I took sculpture classes for a few years and made some sculptures from wood and stone. More recently I've started restoring an old VW Bug. I've also got a big enough backlog of home and yard projects to keep busy for a year. I think your question is a good one - the retirement decision isn't just about money.
That is also inspiring.

I’m a fan of the John C. Campbell Folk School for learning and advancing one’s skills.
G12

Post by G12 »

Normal week includes hiking, lot of trails in/around Santa Fe and other directions. Live in a development with a ton of trails which I typically take the dogs on and chase coyotes. Work with the dogs on ramping up scent work detection skills to start trialing again. Play pickle ball. Lots of beautiful areas to visit nearby and further out. Go to an outdoor shooting range 2x month, normally go through about 300 rounds, probably get back into 5-stand. Wife and I will probably pick up snow skiing this winter locally and Taos, maybe up to CO. Hunt for HQ craft beer at various locations. Grill or smoke bison steaks, etc and cook a good bit. College football is my favorite so watch a few games on Saturdays. We screwed up and left our bikes back in GA when we moved and will probably get new ones in the spring. I don't spend as much time tinkering with our portfolios as I used to. :wink: Our spending has been high the past 12 months as we moved, bought a house, had to do improvements, etc. Would like to get back to traveling but with 3 dogs, one is 17+ my wife "inherited" from a deceased friend last year and one is a terrorist to newcomers, it is a bit challenging. Probably will start volunteering at the animal shelter and find a reliable house sitter we would be comfortable with managing the dogs.
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

MrCheapo wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:47 pm
marcopolo wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:22 pm if i am feeling especially motivated
Intimacy with spouse
Okay, that needs some explaining. If you feel motivated? Do you give yourself pep talks to get you motivated. Oh never mind, it will get the thread locked :-)
:sharebeer

What i wrote was:
marcopolo wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:22 pm
Intimacy with spouse
The "if i feel motivated" was referring to playing Ultimate Frisbee, which is quite a bit more strenuous than intimacy with my spouse. :wink:
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

I worry about this too. I hate my job, but if I spend a weekend at home during poor weather I am bored and almost ready to go back to the job I hate.

Also have a friend that was forced to retire and he seems to be bored even though he has a few hobbies.

Lastly, I feel that I may be too conservative and will have a difficult time transitioning from earning / saving to spending.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
WyomingFIRE

Post by WyomingFIRE »

StevieG72 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:33 pm I worry about this too. I hate my job, but if I spend a weekend at home during poor weather I am bored and almost ready to go back to the job I hate.

Also have a friend that was forced to retire and he seems to be bored even though he has a few hobbies.

Lastly, I feel that I may be too conservative and will have a difficult time transitioning from earning / saving to spending.
+1

Count me among those who believe the psychological aspects of retirement aren’t as well studied as the financial. Where is the “4% Rule of Thumb” for mental health and related psychological considerations in retirement?
SQRT

Post by SQRT »

I retired 15 years ago at 56. Moved across the country to Canmore Alberta in order to take up skiing and mountain biking. Increased workout frequency and duration, although now that I’m in my70’s, I’ve cut back a bit. More international travel especially bike trips. Made new friends. Don’t ski much anymore but everything else is continuing,
Last edited by SQRT on Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

I'd love to spend some time in a part time fun job. My mom is transitioning from 30 to 20 hour work, only from 12 to 5 a few days a week with lots of young people she counts as friends (gives her time to exercise in the AM). I'd like to try a couple of jobs like this (or volunteer) when I'm not travelling 'slow'. I'd really like to plan plenty of travel for many weeks at a time, but do worry about being bored when back at home. I'm hoping there will be plenty of local friends to hang with, and play sports, also in retirement 🤞.

Fun thread.
Death and taxes. Only one is under your control!
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

If we break daytime into morning and afternoon blocks (14 per week), this is how I fill them:

Golf: 2
Pickle Ball: 2
Board Games with Friends: 2
University coursework: 2
Walking/weights: 2-3
Community Service: 1
Household chores: 2

Not much free time there for sustained thought work, and that is creating problems with long-term planning.

My BIL gave me a great tip about structuring retirement: Never schedule more than one chore a day. Good rule of thumb, but hard to practice.
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

I too had no real plans on what I would when I retired at 57.

The 3 things I explicitly wanted to do was go to bed and get up when I wanted to, do the Sunday crossword puzzles, and exercise regularly [e.g. 4 times a week].

Well, I did those things. And I read more books, starting with re-reading most of the books I owned. I also watched more TV/movies and went to more live entertainment. And I analyzed more stocks. As you can imagine, that still left a lot of free hours. But after working hard for 40 years, the free time didn't bother me.

However, I was surprised to find myself playing violin again in retirement after not playing for 40 years. I joined a quartet, an orchestra, then a country/bluegrass band. Then I started singing with the band. Since I wasn't very good at singing, I started taking vocal lessons. Nine years later, practicing, playing and performing music is a significant part of my life now. I never imagined it would be so.

Maybe you will be better than me at predicting what you will do in retirement.

I will add 2 cautions.
1. Most people want to travel after they retire. But after a few years, travel gets old. And usually by then you have visited the places you really wanted to go to.
2. Exercise-related activities are great. But physical ailments usually start restricting such activities, often starting in your sixties. [For me it was atrial fibrillation, a heart arrhythmia.]
RobLyons

Post by RobLyons »

If you have no idea what you will do in retirement, don't retire yet! I can think of a ton of things I'd love to do if retired. I'm 20-25 years away but if able I plan

More outdoor time
exploring places to eat / drink
more gym time
more down time!
hikes
sports events
concerts
learn plumbing, electrical, hvac, gardening better
mountain biking
walks with my spouse / family
--- also related spending time with grandkids, if we are lucky enough to have them
coach the kids sports more than I do already
be more active in the community
just be more social
advocate for change
start reading books
more brewery visits
coffee by a lake somewhere
learn more about everything
more time to work on my fun car (Foxbody Mustang)
--- also related - more cruises, meet ups, and car shows
pick up a new hobby
trying something new like pilates, yoga, boxing, kickboxing, cross fit, stretching, etc
travel - I put this last because I despise flying but would travel by land as far I can comfortable travel

Phew :sharebeer

My point is that retirement is your opportunity to do things YOU want to do, not a time to copy what others do or retire and try to figure out what to do from there. To me there's no point in retiring wealthy and being bored or finding out you don't like to do what others do.
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"
WyomingFIRE

Post by WyomingFIRE »

WyomingFIRE wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:25 pm My retirement plan is to work at a historic site.

WyomingFIRE

Post by WyomingFIRE »

WyomingFIRE wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:40 pm
StevieG72 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:33 pm I worry about this too. I hate my job, but if I spend a weekend at home during poor weather I am bored and almost ready to go back to the job I hate.

Count me among those who believe the psychological aspects of retirement aren’t as well studied as the financial.
punkinhead

Post by punkinhead »

If you're a couch potato now, don't assume you'll suddenly become an active go-getter when you're in your 60's. I'd encourage anyone who's has years of work left but is looking for a "retirement hobby" to start doing things NOW. We've all heard people talk about getting a pilot's license or learning to ride a motorcycle when they retire. Those things require fine motor skills, reaction times, and cognitive abilities that decline with age. If you learn them young you'll develop muscle memory and instincts that will allow you do them with less effort as you age. That isn't to say you can't or shouldn't learn new things as you age, but it's easier when you're young. Plus you'll get all those additional years of enjoying them. The biggest excuse I see for waiting until retirement is that they don't have time right now. Based on water cooler conversations, those same people seem to watch 3 hours of sitcoms every night and 12 hours of sports over a weekend.

One of my regrets is that I didn't get good and riding a dirt bike when I was younger. It takes a decent amount of effort to ride one and 10x the effort if you're riding one poorly. I see guys in their 50's and 60's who've ridden since childhood and it looks effortless. If I tried to do it now I'd be out of breath a mile in and even a minor fall would have me down for the count.

Personally, I do all the same things in retirement that I did when working. I just do them more often.
birdog

Post by birdog »

Cruise wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:58 am My BIL gave me a great tip about structuring retirement: Never schedule more than one chore a day. Good rule of thumb, but hard to practice.
I like this and have noticed myself already adopting it. I've only been retired for a month but I already notice that I need to get something chore-like done each day but I still want more leisure than work so I generally limit my chores to the morning.
fortunefavored

Post by fortunefavored »

I'm only in year 1, but I don't think there are any atypical activities. I do the same things I did before, there's just far less stress and time pressure doing them. Even your 1 hour of biking can easily take the whole day - drive some where new, have a nice lunch, enjoy the whole experience.

Same for spending - we are not so wealthy we can ignore our budget, so we stay within our (generous to us) spending plans.

I do maintain a "to do" list and try to knock off 1 or 2 things per day, but even if that doesn't happen I don't worry about it.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

MrCheapo wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:09 pm I'm in that envious situation where I can retire well now or wait and retire very well. Currently 50 and will retire no later than 55.

Things that are inexpensive (relatively) to start and then continue indefinitely at low to zero cost with continuing personal benefits.

(these things start then are self sustaining)
1. Tai Chi Classes (do this forever).
2. Cooking and nutrition classes (eat well forever)
3. Learning to sit and think and sit and not think or not think about not thinking. . . or. . .
4. Take guitar or piano lessons. . buy a reasonable nice guitar and/or a digital grand piano. . .keep playing. .
5. Take singing and voice lessons to improve singing in the shower. . . .
6. DIY home improvement projects with self or spouse, etc...gain lifetime skills and more tools. . and more tools. .
7. Go back to school online. . get that MBA. . etc. . take your time. . make it last until age 70+ or "noodles" decrease.
8. Dispense with the idea that life is a spreadsheet and fits in an Excel program by:
a) taking classes and learn routines in "Zen" (not a religion but a discipline of clarity).
b) realize that what has given you career and life "success" up to now, may not be the mindset and paradigm for a rewarding lifestyle in retirement where the "game changes". . . etc.

Each stage of life is as rewarding, fullfilling, and enriching, as what we bring to it.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

Freedom is not about what you can do. It is about what you don't have to do.

Just not going to work is good enough in retirement.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

flyingaway wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:36 am Freedom is not about what you can do. It is about what you don't have to do.

Not for everyone. The advice to retire to something exists because without a plan plenty of people fall into depression.
Sam_957

Post by Sam_957 »

G12 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:01 pm Wife and I will probably pick up snow skiing this winter locally and Taos, maybe up to CO.
Wolf creek is great, but Santa Fe was always fun.
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

marcopolo wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:22 pm

I am not sure we have a "typical" day, but we keep our days pretty full with one or more of the following activities:

Cycling (probably 2-3 times a week for a 2-3 hours/day)
Hiking (usually days we are not cycling)
Taking our dogs for a walk/run (often combined with hiking)
Hanging out at a beach (often combined with hiking and/or dog walk/run)
Pick-up Basketball
Intimacy with spouse

Weekly activities include:
More involved outings (we are going to see the new lava eruption tomorrow)
Stargazing (at home or atop Mauna Kea if we feel adventurous)
Swimming with Manta Rays
Kayaking
Snorkeling
BBQ/dinner party/Evening out with friends
Yard/home/pool maintenance

Monthly Activities: (These have been less frequent due to Covid)
Even more involved outings - Island hop for other activities or visit family/friends
Trip to mainland (visit family, or National park trip)

I am sure i am missing a few things.
Some days we just sit around and read a book, watch a movie, or lounge by the pool and have a few drinks.
When I turned 69, DW & I cut down on the daily Intimacy to only once a day so I could continue my racquetball lessons.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

The longer I am retired, the farther I fall behind on projects, ideas and things to do. The list gets longer every week! I may need to go back to work to stop the backlog from extending!

The last year I have spent time (1-10 hrs/day) working on the house inside (lighting, plumbing, electrical), the landscaping and irrigation systems outside, assorted systems and automations (security, video, trailcam), furnishings, plus -

Monthly (or so) trips by car and plane to assorted local, state and national parks, five or six states, family, friends, neighbors, second home 12 hours away, on top of the normal routine of -

gym several mornings per week, walking dog 30-45 min twice daily, cleaning, vehicle maintenance, shopping, cooking, eating, restaurants, reading, Netflix (1 hour per night).

I need to get a bike and a tractor, but doing so will make me even busier! I can't imagine how anyone finds time to golf.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

RobLyons wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:05 am If you have no idea what you will do in retirement, don't retire yet! I can think of a ton of things I'd love to do if retired.
Same here. Granted, as someone who isn't FI yet, what do I really know? But it's a big world, and it's been going on for a long time. There is SOOOOO much to potentially do in life, I honestly can't understand why anyone couldn't come up with their own list just as long as yours.

What do such people do on the weekends? Stare at a wall?

Do they get halfway through a vacation and just say, "Whelp, that's enough of that! Guess I'll go home early. Nothing left to see or do anywhere on the planet!"

When faced with the sum total of human knowledge, language, art, and skill that the modern world allows them to experience and learn do they just shrug and go, "meh"?

Heck, at the very least, someone in financial shape to retire could just quit the job they hate and go get another one without concern about what it might pay, including volunteer jobs. (I can't be the only one who has fantasized about working part-time at various cool/fun jobs one day, am I?)
"Stay on target!" -- Davish Krail
fposte

Post by fposte »

I retired earlier this year. I'm a fan of the dictum that plans are useless but planning is indispensable, plus I really enjoy making spreadsheets, so I made a big retirement spreadsheet with possibilities in various categories. I was really impressed years ago by Boglehead Jazztonight's concept of the Big Four, categories of activities that would mean for him he had a good day, and I let that inspire me to create different categories.

But I was also just exhausted from work during the pandemic, not at all feeling like doing global travel, and dealing with a few nagging health problems, so I pushed off the big possibilities and have been enjoying more modest pleasures. I found that I was looking for a break from the massive commitments of work (and I still have a few trickling along) so I didn't want to sign up for anything with an obligation, like volunteering, yet.

It's therefore been a dilettante's life, which I thought I'd dislike, but I think it's a good transitional phase. Every week I either try something new (or new-ish (I haven't kayaked for forty years so I counted that) or go somewhere new; I really like having something to look forward to and something to be curious about. I'm working on tasks that have been on the to-do list for a long time, so family films got digitized and shared and my will is in process. I'm also slowly embarking on a Swedish death cleaning–type weed of the house, especially of work-related books and clothing. I spend more time on meal prep and grocery shopping--not tons, but it's a delight to be able to go to two different grocery stores rather than efficiently restricting to one. I'm an introvert, but I make sure to check in with friends and family. My physical therapist developed a side gig as a personal trainer so I'm working out diligently and meeting with him periodically. I generally have a list at the start of the week and then I pull from it each day according to weather and inclination.

The big difference for me is losing that tyranny of time. My job was one where clocks were always ticking, whether I was on vacation or working, so it was hard for me to embark on activities or avocations that might exceed a time slot. I'm still unlearning that a little, but it's opened up a lot of possibilities for enjoyment when I don't have to pay for an activity with work stress.
RoadagentMN

Post by RoadagentMN »

punkinhead wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:59 pm I retired this Spring at 54 so all of my retirement so far has been during nice weather. When I'm home a typical week is 2-3 days on the river fishing. I own a couple small planes so there's always maintenance to be done so 1 or 2 days a week putzing around at the airport. The dog gets a 3-4 mile walk every day. There's usually some yard work or car maintenance so maybe 1 day a week doing that. I'm not a huge bicyclist but I like to take a 10-15 mile ride a couple times a week. I have NO problem occupying my days when I'm not traveling.

I’ve been fascinated with the progress of the light sport aircraft market- along with electric powered gliders. I’m going to pull the trigger- still reviewing options.
59Gibson

Post by 59Gibson »

I'm probably in the minority here, but I really have no desire to travel, after years of traveling for work both by plane and long car time. To me it's simply not worth all of the hassles and it's may overrated. I've witnessed many folks complaining after being away..I'm guessing they feel it's what they're supposed to want to do.
punkinhead

Post by punkinhead »

59Gibson wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:29 am I'm probably in the minority here, but I really have no desire to travel, after years of traveling for work both by plane and long car time. To me it's simply not worth all of the hassles and it's may overrated. I've witnessed many folks complaining after being away..I'm guessing they feel it's what they're supposed to want to do.
I think what a lot of people don't think about when it comes to "travel" as a retirement hobby is that it's not something that's easy to keep you occupied all year. Unless you're planning to go full time in an RV or are wealthy enough to do unlimited plane & hotel type travel, you're probably only going to travel a couple weeks here and there. In between you're going to be at home and need something to keep you occupied. There's nothing wrong with travel as a retirement goal, but most people need other hobbies for the majority of time when they aren't traveling.
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

59Gibson wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:29 am I'm probably in the minority here, but I really have no desire to travel, after years of traveling for work both by plane and long car time. To me it's simply not worth all of the hassles and it's may overrated. I've witnessed many folks complaining after being away..I'm guessing they feel it's what they're supposed to want to do.
I think it is overrated like you. Those cheap countries are interesting to me but I'm sure there would be drawbacks when you get there.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

flyingaway wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:36 am Freedom is not about what you can do. It is about what you don't have to do.

Sounds terrible.

If it works for you, great. But for me "just not working" is a poor reason to retire. I'd rather work if those were my only choices.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

For the most part, I agree - it's overrated. For the most part, travel is tedious, particularly these days.

I have family and people I like to visit, so that's generally why I travel. If I could visit them without travelling, I probably would.

I have far more enjoyable things I like to do without having to travel.
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

Some people need structure in their lives. If such people don't replace the structure work provides with something else, they will be unhappy in retirement. And often "fail" by going back to work.

Others, like me, chafed under the work discipline. [It's not that I disliked work. I often enthusiastically worked long hours. But I wanted to work when *I* wanted to work. I hated having to be at work at 8 am.]

So figure out what type of person you are. If you need structure in your daily life, don't retire with no plans!
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

In the words of Houston Oiler Coach Bum Phillips, " I don't do anything and I don't start that until noon."