Medicare Plan G-HD Broker Question

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Ckprocker

Medicare Plan G-HD Broker Question

Post by Ckprocker »

I was told by a Medicare Broker that if one wants to enroll in Medicare Plan G-HD you have to enroll directly to the insurance company because insurance companies do not use brokers for plan G-HD.

Is this correct?

Thanks
tj

Re: Medicare Plan G-HD Broker Question

Post by tj »

Ckprocker wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:48 pm I was told by a Medicare Broker that if one wants to enroll in Medicare Plan G-HD you have to enroll directly to the insurance company because insurance companies do not use brokers for plan G-HD.

Is this correct?

Thanks
Definitely not true. I recall someone mentioning they had used medicarenationwide.com for a G-HD plan.
kd2008

Post by kd2008 »

Time to find a new broker. They are just trying to steer you to a product that pays them more commission.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

That's a new one on me. We are a employee benefits practice but occasionally do some Medicare supplements. Other companies may differ, but the one we use most often pays a flat percent of premium, so you will get less on the HD plan, but you still get paid.

It is possible however. Different companies will vary commissions by plan and state.

From a broker compensation standpoint, the Medicare Advantage plans are the most lucrative.
ModifiedDuration

Post by ModifiedDuration »

tj wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:49 pm
Ckprocker wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:48 pm I was told by a Medicare Broker that if one wants to enroll in Medicare Plan G-HD you have to enroll directly to the insurance company because insurance companies do not use brokers for plan G-HD.

Is this correct?

Thanks
Definitely not true. I recall someone mentioning they had used medicarenationwide.com for a G-HD plan.
Yeah, I had used Medicare Nationwide to enroll in my Plan G-HD.

Jackson, one of the owners, patiently answered my myriad of questions. He was really interested in doing what was best for me.

When I apologized for taking up so much of his time for what would be a small commission for him, he responded, “Don’t worry about the commission.”

Yeah, I was impressed. He’s the real deal.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

When I enrolled in F-HD, I did my own research and dealt directly with the insurance companies. I'd never thought about working through a broker. Didn't even know it was a thing.

Here in Oregon, you can change companies and, within certain limits, Medigap plans in your birth month, so I asked a couple of brokers if they could propose a different insurance company offering an F-HD plan. Both brokers from different companies sang me the same tune: "We don't work with F-HD plans. We find that customers don't like dealing with all the paperwork." Huh?

Apparently, some brokers do include HD plans on their lists, but good luck finding one.

Anyway, I have continued with the same insurance company and last year called them and switched to G-HD.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

kd2008 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:09 pm Time to find a new broker. They are just trying to steer you to a product that pays them more commission.
Bingo!
KeepItSimpleSomehow

Post by KeepItSimpleSomehow »

Senior Savings Network 1-800-729-9590 owner Christopher Westfall and staff.
Licensed to sell in all states. Sells all of the Medigap plans including HD (F&G). Also Part D Drug plans. Also dental/vision/hearing plans. Also travel insurance plans. His YouTube channel, by above names, has many informative videos.

I have been very satisfied with this company's service the last two years. :happy