3rd Child Tax Credit Not Received

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Beachey

3rd Child Tax Credit Not Received

Post by Beachey »

So I received the first payment in July by check, the second payment in August was received in my bank account. The third payment has yet to be received. A Google search indicates that a 'limited' number of people did not receive their checks. The IRS seems to be rather mum about a possible reason. Any one else waiting on the payment? Has anyone heard of a reason? I am glad I was not counting on the money. Anyone receive it late?
gclancer

Re: 3rd Child Tax Credit Not Received

Post by gclancer »

Same boat. Did the same Google searches. The child tax credit portal is silent on the status (but accurately reflects that the payment hasn’t been issued). I’m not in desperate need of the money so I’m just standing by and being patient. I don’t intend to file the missing payment form that you can fax to them.
Nickinsticks

Post by Nickinsticks »

The same here. Seems like we are all the same boat - check in M1, direct deposit in M2 and then nothing. I’m guessing it’s some issue with processing. Interestingly, I received $401 in M1 and then $400 in M2. Considering, I still haven’t received my PA refund and not under audit, I’m not sure what to expect with any of these things.
PapaSmushFace

Post by PapaSmushFace »

Same here. Looks like there is a pattern. I received first July check in the mail and August as a direct deposit. I’ve checked the IRS portal and there isn’t even a sign of a September payment (processing, paid, or otherwise).
gclancer

Post by gclancer »

PapaSmushFace wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:46 pm Same here. Looks like there is a pattern. I received first July check in the mail and August as a direct deposit. I’ve checked the IRS portal and there isn’t even a sign of a September payment (processing, paid, or otherwise).
Fascinating. Same here, no refund last year so check M1 and direct deposit M2 no money M3 so that seems to be the issue.
rob

Post by rob »

I'll have to look... only received 1 so far.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
slickracer

Post by slickracer »

Same here, check in July, ACH in August and nothing in September.
onourway

Post by onourway »

Opposite for us. Got a check in July. Nothing in August. Just got direct deposit for September. I went through the considerable hassle of setting up an account with id.me for the IRS site but it didn’t really tell me anything worthwhile. The September amount is larger, I believe to start making up for the missed payment.
whatdoIknow

Post by whatdoIknow »

I have mine for all 3mths
Topic Author
Beachey

Post by Beachey »

Finally got a chance to log into the IRS web site, there is this notice here:
In married filing jointly situations, if you and/or your spouse submitted different bank information for your advance payments, the taxpayer listed as the spouse on the 2019 or 2020 tax return will get their portion of the payments separately in September. Until then, joint payments will be sent to the taxpayer listed first on the 2019 or 2020 tax return.
So I have an IRS account(set up a while ago) and that is how I set up the bank payments as I always owe so they don't normally have my bank account info. My wife does not have an account and when I went to set one up for her for this, it is so onerous that I said 'Forget It'.

However, when I signed up I got a similar message that they would split the child tax credit payment between me and my wife and was slightly surprised in August to get the full amount in my bank account. It is now September so I wonder if this split that they set up is the issue and what caused the system to not work. And I am tempted to just decline the payment but I would worry that they would still try to send my wife her half of the payment. Aiming for simplicity here.

The pattern appears to be check in July, payment in August, nothing in September. I wonder if the pattern holds where one spouse is in the system but the other is not.
fungus_amungus

Post by fungus_amungus »

I received my third payment today, but it was only for $157. My other two were for $250 each, which is what I was expecting. Anyone have any idea why I would have received a lesser amount?
PapaSmushFace

Post by PapaSmushFace »

I also received a partial payment today. Normal payments were $500, but the one received today was $313. No clue what’s going on.

Edit: Found out what is going on. The IRS split the payment for folks who filed Married Filing Jointly. From my IRS portal:
In married filing jointly situations, if you and/or your spouse submitted different bank information for your advance payments, the taxpayer listed as the spouse on the 2019 or 2020 tax return will get their portion of the payments separately in September. Until then, joint payments will be sent to the taxpayer listed first on the 2019 or 2020 tax return.
The $313 was deposited in my bank account and $313 is being mailed to my wife since she didn’t have bank information with the IRS. So, we are actually getting overpaid this month. There’s no free lunch with the IRS so I’m willing to bet they will lower the payments in the following months.
Last edited by PapaSmushFace on Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fungus_amungus

Post by fungus_amungus »

PapaSmushFace wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:14 pm I also received a partial payment today. Normal payments were $500, but the one received today was $313. No clue what’s going on.

Edit: Found out what is going on. The IRS split the payment for folks who filed Married Filing Jointly. From my IRS portal:
The $313 was deposited in my bank account and $313 is being mailed to my wife since she didn’t have bank information with the IRS. So, we are actually getting overpaid this month. There’s no free lunch with the IRS so I’m willing to be they will lower the payments in the following months.
Oh good Lord. Thanks for the info.

I guess I will be creating her an IRS portal account.
Topic Author
Beachey

Post by Beachey »

fungus_amungus wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:08 pm I received my third payment today, but it was only for $157. My other two were for $250 each, which is what I was expecting. Anyone have any idea why I would have received a lesser amount?
Just checked my account and they deposited $209, first two months were $333 (which is what I would expect) so no idea where $209 comes from? I assume my wife will receive a check for the same $209. To me this is humorous but I do feel for those who the money is really needed.
PapaSmushFace

Post by PapaSmushFace »

Beachey wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:01 pm
fungus_amungus wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:08 pm I received my third payment today, but it was only for $157. My other two were for $250 each, which is what I was expecting. Anyone have any idea why I would have received a lesser amount?
Just checked my account and they deposited $209, first two months were $333 (which is what I would expect) so no idea where $209 comes from? I assume my wife will receive a check for the same $209. To me this is humorous but I do feel for those who the money is really needed.
Yes, your wife should receive a check for the same $209. I logged in my wife’s IRS account today and it showed she was mailed a check to match the amount I received in our bank account. I went ahead and set up direct deposit for her, so hopefully we can avoid this situation in the future.