My house isn't selling

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
justsomeguy2018

My house isn't selling

Post by justsomeguy2018 »

Been on market 1 week, only had 2 scheduled showings and scarce visitors at 2 open houses (total of 6 visitors).

Thought we were in the hottest sellers market of all time...??

When discussing price, we wanted to list it lower but realtor said he would not list it below $XXXk and that at the price HE wanted to list it at, we should get multiple offers between $10k-$25k over list price, so we went with his recommendation. We can't even get anyone to come look at the house right now much less multiple offers over list price!!

Home is updated/clean, photographs well, and priced right at the Redfin estimate and slightly over ($8k) Zillow estimate. Edit: the zillow estimate is now suddenly $20k over list price. Based on comps (granted these are 1 - 2 months ago) the home seems reasonably priced for what is supposed to be a sellers market. Feedback from visitors has all been positive.

I'm at a loss. Did the market materially change overnight? Is it slow right now because of summer vacation and I just need to wait it out? Was the realtor incompetent in his pricing decision? The difference between his list price and what we wanted to do was $6k, so not huge, though we had considered even a lower price....

Not sure what to do. I am getting nervous that as we approach August, demand will drop precipitously and we will be screwed. Feel like I missed out on $30,000 just by not listing my house 3 weeks earlier....
Last edited by justsomeguy2018 on Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sport

Re: My house isn't selling

Post by sport »

Did you list the house a little above a round number? When we sold our house, it was a little high, but as you have said, no one wanted to even look at it. When people do their on-line searches, they choose a range. So, if you are even a little bit above a reasonable range, they may not see it. Our house was on the market for months, but when we lowered the price below a round number we had offers within a week.
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

Where is the dwelling's location?
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

How many agents did you interview and did they all propose a similar strategy?
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

There are some rumors that in some parts of the country, the market is starting to change. One of the things that happens when the market turns is that sales prices continue to rise for awhile, but the number of houses sold drops to practically nothing. Then when people start figuring out that their houses aren’t selling, prices start to drop. Maybe this is happening in your area.

Have you had an open house for the brokers yet? What do other realtors think of the place and how it’s priced?
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
celia

Post by celia »

All the suggestions above are good. Another thing to consider is what the masking rules are for your area. I had a place listed right before the pandemic started. Suddenly, realtors weren’t even permitted to show properties in that region.

Showings were slow for several months, but it only takes one reasonable offer to have a deal.

This weekend, many people have “travel” on their mind. So don’t worry yet as nothing seems “normal” yet.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

justsomeguy2018 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:13 pm When discussing price, we wanted to list it lower but realtor said he would not list it below $XXXk and that at the price HE wanted to list it at, we should get multiple offers between $10k-$25k over list price, so we went with his recommendation. We can't even get anyone to come look at the house right now much less multiple offers over list price!!
This makes me wonder if he has other properties from other clients that he is trying to unload and worries that your lower listing price might *interfere* with their sales going through?
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

One variable is the split between seller's and buyer's agent. Get this wrong and buyers' agents will not bring their buyers around.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Topic Author
justsomeguy2018

Post by justsomeguy2018 »

sport wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:18 pm Did you list the house a little above a round number? When we sold our house, it was a little high, but as you have said, no one wanted to even look at it. When people do their on-line searches, they choose a range. So, if you are even a little bit above a reasonable range, they may not see it. Our house was on the market for months, but when we lowered the price below a round number we had offers within a week.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by lowering price below a round number?
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Holiday weekend?

I can't imagine that a $6k difference in the chosen price is responsible, unless it screens out people looking only in certain price ranges.

Hot market or not, I think 1 week is much too soon to get worried.
privateer79

Post by privateer79 »

justsomeguy2018 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:59 pm
sport wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:18 pm Did you list the house a little above a round number? When we sold our house, it was a little high, but as you have said, no one wanted to even look at it. When people do their on-line searches, they choose a range. So, if you are even a little bit above a reasonable range, they may not see it. Our house was on the market for months, but when we lowered the price below a round number we had offers within a week.
I think what he means is don't list it at 503,000 list it at 499,000 so that people who search for houses under 500k will see it.... (i.e. don't be priced right above one of those psychological range cliffs (or zillow search range incriments) )
stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

$199k versus $201k
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

justsomeguy2018 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:13 pmBeen on market 1 week...
And it is the week leading into a major holiday weekend. Don't start sweating it yet.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
sport

Post by sport »

The details depend on the price range involved. If you are willing to sell 350K, don't list at 360K or 370K. If you are willing to sell for 630K, don't list it at 660K, use 649K etc. Years ago, in a non-demand area, we listed at 170K and no one would look at the house. When we lowered the price to $150K, we received multiple offers.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Lower the price. It always works.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

Your house will sell, just maybe not at the price you are seeking. Give it some time and if no bites, lower the price.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Your price is only worth what someone wants to pay for it, regardless of how hot the market is.

Within our subdivision, we have 50-80k difference in purchase & list prices for roughly the same house.
rage_phish

Post by rage_phish »

bertilak wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:45 pm One variable is the split between seller's and buyer's agent. Get this wrong and buyers' agents will not bring their buyers around.
Does this reallly happen these days?
Most buyers are scouring every rea estate app and telling their agent what they want to see. Aren’t they?
aqan

Post by aqan »

retiredjg wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:00 pm Holiday weekend?
that would be my guess too. people are to busy planning for their long weekend. I would give it another week or 2. Your agent should've told you this but they are usually eager to get the business.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

justsomeguy2018 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:13 pm Thought we were in the hottest sellers market of all time...??
Many places are.
Did the market materially change overnight?
No.
Not sure what to do.
Ask your realtor. There's no way anyone here can know the reason your house hasn't yet sold.

Housing is hyper-local. Perhaps there are similar houses on the market that are better than yours. Perhaps your locale isn't as hot. There are an unlimited number of possibilities.

There's always one thing that allows a house to sell - the right price.
Just remember: it's not a lie if you believe it.
Bogle7

More info needed

Post by Bogle7 »

My experience is that if you post the listing, then you will get the best advice.
Many smart and knowledgeable people here who will analyze the situation thoroughly.
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
LeslieSmiley

Post by LeslieSmiley »

justsomeguy2018 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:13 pm Been on market 1 week, only had 2 scheduled showings and scarce visitors at 2 open houses (total of 6 visitors).

When discussing price, we wanted to list it lower but realtor said he would not list it below $XXXk and that at the price HE wanted to list it at, we should get multiple offers between $10k-$25k over list price, so we went with his recommendation. We can't even get anyone to come look at the house right now much less multiple offers over list price!!

Home is updated/clean, photographs well, and priced right at the Redfin estimate and slightly over ($8k) Zillow estimate. Edit: the zillow estimate is now suddenly $20k over list price. Based on comps (granted these are 1 - 2 months ago) the home seems reasonably priced for what is supposed to be a sellers market. Feedback from visitors has all been positive.

I'm at a loss. Did the market materially change overnight? Is it slow right now because of summer vacation and I just need to wait it out? Was the realtor incompetent in his pricing decision? The difference between his list price and what we wanted to do was $6k, so not huge, though we had considered even a lower price....

Not sure what to do. I am getting nervous that as we approach August, demand will drop precipitously and we will be screwed. Feel like I missed out on $30,000 just by not listing my house 3 weeks earlier....

Let’s look at “incentive” as many things in life especially when it comes to things that are related to finance, “incentives” typically are the motivation of one’s behavior.

What’s the realtor’s incentive? Commission.

Though higher selling price would yield higher commission, commission only happens when a sale is made. So in many occasions, realtors would advise sellers not to price their properties too high as they might just sit on the market and the realtor ends up doing all the “work” without earning a commission. Ultimately, “sold” is what they mostly care about.

“…but realtor said he would not list it below $XXXk and that at the price HE wanted to list it at”.

Does your realtor work for you or do you work for him?

Unless your realtor provides compelling reasons with solid evidence and data indicating that his recommendation is sound, i personally would choose to work with another realtor who actually understands and respects the dynamic of the relationship between a client and them. If i have a number in mind and the realtor tells me that he would only list it at a number that he wants, i would fire him on the spot.

And for the valuation of your house, can’t you pull the comps yourself? You can access to sold records of your area and find any sold homes that are similar to yours in the past 6 months or so and you should be able to get an idea of what the current market value is.

Does your home have some “deal breaker” attributes? Things like very close to the road, at the corner of a busy intersection, wetland, very close to the neighbors, etc etc .
Slackergirl

Post by Slackergirl »

Make sure to go online and carefully review the listing for your home. Is the number of bedrooms, baths, square footage, lot size, taxes, HOA fee, garage size, etc. accurate? Is the best photo of your house the one buyers see first? Really comb over the listing for errors or any omissions.
Abe

Post by Abe »

One week is not a very long time when selling a house. Of course, I live in a depressed economic area, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
Slow and steady wins the race.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

I'd also point out that the week before a major holiday weekend likely wasn't the best time to go live on a listing.

See also this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=347778. Short version: better to let the market find the right price upwards (by pricing it a little too low) than the other way.
cbs2002

Post by cbs2002 »

We are exploring selling right now and as of two weeks ago our agent told us to expect a slowdown in July and August due to everyone shaking off Covid and leaving town as soon as school was out. He expects another surge in September when people are back at their desks, though not as vigorous as spring FWIW. Good luck!
vested1

Post by vested1 »

Add to the mix that the COVID restriction on foreclosures that was set to expire on June 30th, has been extended one month to July 31st, supposedly for the last time. I expect a surge of foreclosures 3 to 6 months after that. This will affect housing prices overall, albeit temporarily IMHO.

I got an email today from our previous real estate agent in California who became a good friend and whom I correspond with regularly. She's the top seller in the county but has never seen anything like this. Sales of existing homes are up over 100% since this time last year in every price range, even higher for those in the multi million dollar range. People forget however that last year at this time few houses were selling because nobody wanted to let a stranger into their house.

I never expected our previous home to surpass the highest assessed value before the crash of 2008, but it blew past that like it wasn't there. I also didn't expect our current home to increase so much since we sold our old one in CA and bought this one in August of 2019, about 20% appreciation for both.

It doesn't mean anything until the check is cashed however. One week on the market with a holiday thrown in is nothing to be alarmed about. After the fireworks are swept from the street that same old panic will return for those who think they're boarding the last helicopter out of Saigon.

Edited to correct the location where the last helicopter left Vietnam. Saigon, not Hanoi, which would have been even harder. Thanks to the member who caught that and pm'd me.
Last edited by vested1 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Invictus002

Post by Invictus002 »

1 week is too little of time for anything to materialize. Patience?
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I have been looking at tons of homes to the point where I am tired of looking. I don't have any immediate need but have a couple of things going on.

Anyhow the market is strange and in most ways pretty hot but looking at prices I do see some are dropping. I have been looking both in MD and AZ. We had a friend recently sell her late mother's home for a generous price considering a poor location. In another case I saw a house in a very desirable location just drop the price from $600k to $550k.

I have seen more dropping in price but I think a lot of people have been putting high prices up and seeing if anyone bites. Prices are still up hugely in some areas. Houses were $500k now $800k or further out was 280 now high 400s.

If you are using a very experienced agent you should be ok. Unfortunately in markets like this you get a lot of newer agents or some use discount agent and you can pay a price for that.
Freetime76

Post by Freetime76 »

Things to consider

1. Adjust your expectations. Not every single area of the country and price range has a bidding war with buyers frothing at the mouth. A “hot” market might just mean that an entry level house sells within 30 days, instead of >9months. More expensive homes can take longer to sell than typical first time homebuyer properties.

2. Do your own research. You seem to know the comps - keep pulling listings from realtor.com (not Zillow - it doesn’t get all of them sometimes). I would look at both recently sold and for sale in your area, same #BR and bracket your price to see a) how you compare to higher/lower priced homes, b) the property history for what something similar sold for vs list price and how many Days on the Market, c) how long similar unsold listings have been on the market. You also can pull stats (or have your realtor do it) for how many DOM it’s running in your area for a certain price range.

3. Decide how you’re going to play the game. How badly and how quickly do you need to sell? What do you want or need out of it? I’d really suggest coming up with a # for yourself. One based on both your financial and timing needs and also what you see in the market. We’ve chosen to wait for our price in the past, and it is an exercise in patience and determination (market not like this, for example) - we got what we wanted in the end, but again, you have to decided for yourself where you stand.

As a personal rule, I’d not consider touching the price until 30 days in...but this isn’t our first rodeo. Summer, holiday weekend, buyer fatigue - we can make some guesses. The real question if to look at where you are in terms of your competition and also where you need to get for your own purposes.

P.S. Don’t forget that the offer is just the beginning. There are some great threads on Bogleheads about which offer to accept and negotiating after an offer is accepted.
Please spell out new acronyms. Thank you.
notBobToo

Post by notBobToo »

justsomeguy2018 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:13 pm Been on market 1 week, only had 2 scheduled showings and scarce visitors at 2 open houses (total of 6 visitors).

Don't take this wrong, but maybe you are not in one of the (local) hot markets. Everything I have heard or read in the last 12 months (and even back to 2018, 2019 where I lived previously), in a hot market, open houses are a thing of the past. Why deal with an open house for the neighbors and other lookyloos when serious buyers are lined up to view and bid on houses in hot markets? I would never consider a realtor, in a hot market, whose sales plan included open houses in the first week. I mean, that tells me she's trying to drum up interest (but that's what Coming Soon is for). He should already have leads to buyers (and other agents) wanting to purchase in this market.

One other thing. Even in a hot market you will find some homes flying off the shelf way faster than others. And it ain't price. It is the house with the (preferably finished) walkout. Hands down more bids, more action over asking, and faster selling than anything else. Second place would be a home that is professionally staged and recently completely repainted in neutral colors. Combine the two and it just isn't fair; they come running just as fast as they can.

Regardless of the older comps in your neighborhood, what's under contract NOW and at what asking price?
Freetime76

Post by Freetime76 »

I wanted to add: you can get a flavor of how hot a market is from DOM... but I find it’s pretty obvious with a quick check of inventory.

A super hot Hot HOT market will literally have *nothing* that doesn’t have Pending or Contingent stamped on it on the MLS (realtor.com). You might see one brand new listing from “8 hours ago” or a real eyesore, but really...no inventory (I can’t imagine, in truth - as a buyer I would be losing my marbles). The pricing is almost irrelevant.

A hot market but not WHITE HOT :wink: will have plenty of Pending/Contingent, but also a reasonable selection of houses...maybe the older ones are a little dated or in an odd spot or just an awkward place to try to sell...mixed with maybe <14 days old listings that are quite nice. If you watch, the good ones will move to being under contract quicker than usual, meaning plenty of movement.
Please spell out new acronyms. Thank you.
windaar

Post by windaar »

It would sell instantly for $1. find the proper price point between that and what you're asking and it will sell quickly.
Nobody knows nothing.
fortunefavored

Post by fortunefavored »

You only need one offer, you don't need 10.

Wait at least 3 weeks before panicking unless there is something obviously wrong with the pricing/condition/location/etc.

I sold a less than desirable town home with similar level of interest/traffic. After a little over 2 weeks we had 1 offer. We suggested there may be other interested parties, they raised their offer 5% over list.. offer accepted. This is in a market where SFH get 20 offers over asking in a weekend.
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

Freetime76 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:48 pm I wanted to add: you can get a flavor of how hot a market is from DOM... but I find it’s pretty obvious with a quick check of inventory.

A super hot Hot HOT market will literally have *nothing* that doesn’t have Pending or Contingent stamped on it on the MLS (realtor.com). You might see one brand new listing from “8 hours ago” or a real eyesore, but really...no inventory (I can’t imagine, in truth - as a buyer I would be losing my marbles). The pricing is almost irrelevant.

A hot market but not WHITE HOT :wink: will have plenty of Pending/Contingent, but also a reasonable selection of houses...maybe the older ones are a little dated or in an odd spot or just an awkward place to try to sell...mixed with maybe <14 days old listings that are quite nice. If you watch, the good ones will move to being under contract quicker than usual, meaning plenty of movement.
That's my market in a nutshell! To the point that even as houses are listed at our price range, our realtor is hesitant to take us to see some because he/she thinks it'll go way above asking and doesn't want us to get out ahead of ourselves if there's a bidding war. Which wouldn't happen since our max ($30k above what we are actually looking for, would still only be 20% dti).

Can confirm the frustration as a buyer.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Nate79 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:24 pm How many agents did you interview and did they all propose a similar strategy?
Concur with the questions.....
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Why is the Realtor saying what he/she will or will not do?
Suggest having the dog wag the tail……

Strategize then have your realtor work for “you” to accomplish what “you” want.

j🌺
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

justsomeguy2018 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:13 pm Been on market 1 week....
In 2010 the average number of days for a house to be on the market was 140 days (20 weeks).
I don't think 1 week with no buyer is signaling the end of the real estate boom (yet.)
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

1. Your realtor works for you and you decide the listing price, not the realtor.
2. Give it another 2 weeks since this is a holiday weekend. If no action lower price.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Nate79 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:24 pm How many agents did you interview and did they all propose a similar strategy?
I noticed that your question did not receive a response. That may explain a few things.
musicmom

Post by musicmom »

I agree with the suggestion to choose
an list price below the usual one.
ie 449,000 not 450,000.

We sold a house in 2018 in a good sellers market in desirable location.
BUT our first list price was 465,000, thinking we would accept 450,000 ish.
Many many lookers, a few nimbles, many open houses but no offers.

After 2 months, we had reduced price to 425,000. We tired of all the traffic in the house, keeping it staged, etc.
Finally, we dropped it to 399,000 and within a week we had 2 strong offers, one for cash. Closed at 420,000...
Looking back, we should have started lower. We could have saved alot of drama and inconvenience.

Best of luck.
Agree that one week is too short to be concerned.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Dozens if not hundreds of buyers have reviewed your listing online and are not interested in viewing it. So either it is priced way too high vs available comps (you can check this yourself), has terrible photos, or has a fatal flaw like layout, location, etc. Was it slow selling when you bought it? Why?

Also, market peak was May. June was slower and July is getting quite slow.
Annabel Lee

Post by Annabel Lee »

notBobToo wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:31 pm

Don't take this wrong, but maybe you are not in one of the (local) hot markets. Everything I have heard or read in the last 12 months (and even back to 2018, 2019 where I lived previously), in a hot market, open houses are a thing of the past. Why deal with an open house for the neighbors and other lookyloos when serious buyers are lined up to view and bid on houses in hot markets? I would never consider a realtor, in a hot market, whose sales plan included open houses in the first week. I mean, that tells me she's trying to drum up interest (but that's what Coming Soon is for). He should already have leads to buyers (and other agents) wanting to purchase in this market.
Co-sign this 100%.

For the purchase of our new house & sale of our existing one, we found the most ridiculously connected realtor in our town who expertly used a “private network” to find us an undervalued house before it went on the market, then queued up leads for our house leading to a bidding war and accepted offer over ask.

You want this kind of realtor. I had no idea the pocket/private listing game existed until this time around.

With respect to is the market cooling? Yeah, it is here. Inventory starting to sit that would have flown off the market 2 months ago. YMMV.

Tough time to list a house especially if your community has any seasonality/summertime draws, or if your house would attract families - generally given the negotiating and closing process, people who want their kids to start their new schools in August have already bought their new houses and are moving in right around now.
Mlm

Post by Mlm »

Give it some time. I put my first house on the market late in the year. I knew it wasn’t a great time for selling and I was pretty discouraged that there were a few showings. To my surprise I got a full price offer on Christmas Eve. It only takes one.
eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon »

I could sell your house tomorrow. And I'm not a real estate agent. It's all about the Benjamin's. And your real estate agent works for you, not the other way around.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett
Watty

Post by Watty »

justsomeguy2018 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:13 pm ....only had 2 scheduled showings...
If both of those were using their own agent then your real estate agent should have called the agent to get feedback on why the buyers were not interested in your house.

The last time I sold a house that was critical for us since the feedback we got was that there were other issues with the house, which we knew about and could not change, that turned off the buyers but the price was not the issue.
Bama12

Post by Bama12 »

I know in North Alabama most homes sell within a week or two, above asking price.
Fat-Tailed Contagion

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion »

All Real Estate is local.

Are you selling in the one of the States everyone is moving to or one of the States everyone is fleeing?
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor (75/25 - 50/50 - 25/75)
vested1

Post by vested1 »

delete duplicate
runswithscissors

Post by runswithscissors »

It's not selling because the listing price is too high. This is the case 100% of the time.