Old Records for Small Nonprofit

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
mommyshock13

Old Records for Small Nonprofit

Post by mommyshock13 »

Hi, I am a new volunteer treasurer for a small nonprofit community garden in my town. It's a small operation, with only a few thousand dollars in the bank and maybe 50 members. I also received the a suitcase of statements and records from the previous treasurer, dating back to 2003. Can I just scan all these papers, keep everything online, and shred the paper? They are mostly bank statements, receipts for anything gardening related, and old checks for membership fees. I feel uncomfortable keeping hard copy of paper, not to mention the room it takes up, but wondering if I should as this stuff does not necessarily belong to me. Appreciate any advice.
miamivice

Re: Old Records for Small Nonprofit

Post by miamivice »

You can likely shred without saving many of the records. Depends on your state and type of record, but I think that most anything older than about 6 years can be shredded unless your group wants to keep it for the sake of keeping it.

Scanning it and then shredding it would be easier, although there would be a cost to it.

No reason to keep the hardcopies.
Topic Author
mommyshock13

Re: Old Records for Small Nonprofit

Post by mommyshock13 »

Great thank you for your response!